• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grabbed Chaos Theory. Decided to pass on R6V1. Conviction I would grab as well, but it's borderline on whether I'd be able to run it and I don't buy games where being able to run it is a question for me. I may build a PC over the summer, but that's not a definite so I'll save the money in the meantime.

We have the summer sale to look forward to now.

Oh dear.

kamspy

Murkas said:
How is the co-op and PC port for vegas 2? Me and my friend have been looking for a new coop game and at this price it seems nice, unless one of the other Tom Clancy games are better for co-op?

It's not bad. R6 1 is a better game and a better port though.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
SC1/Chaos Theory/Conviction are all great, especially the co-op in Conviction.

RC Vegas 1/2 are amazing in Terrorist Hunt Co-op/Story mode co-op.

I would buy Nightsky but the demo was like 320p resolution and that's a fucking severe turnoff.

What about as pure single-player games. Would you recommend either Vegas game?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Murkas said:
How is the co-op and PC port for vegas 2? Me and my friend have been looking for a new coop game and at this price it seems nice, unless one of the other Tom Clancy games are better for co-op?
It's pretty sick plus there are a boat-load of maps from multiplayer to play terrorist hunt on which is also a ton of fun.

DeVeAn said:
Looking at Conviction, does it have pad support? And is the Deluxe version worth it?
Yeah, it worked great with a wired 360 pad, changed the button prompts and everything.

kamspy said:
It's not bad. R6 1 is a better game and a better port though.
Eh, I'd say that R6V2 was a significantly better port.

1-D_FTW said:
I beat both in singleplayer first and enjoyed them. I love the shooting mechanics and feel of the guns. The strategy elements reminded me of Replubic Commando more than of the OG R6, but I didn't mind too much.

kamspy

1-D_FTW said:

Yeah, they're both fun single player games. At that price I'd be all over them if I didn't have them. Neither game struck me as having bad mouse controls, but it seems like I'm not that sensitive to that kind of thing.

Mafro

Is there any particular reason why Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam? Seams odd that it's not, while the rest of the series is.

ArjanN

Murkas said:
How is the co-op and PC port for vegas 2? Me and my friend have been looking for a new coop game and at this price it seems nice, unless one of the other Tom Clancy games are better for co-op and is a better port?

Very good port IMO. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamspy said:
Yeah, they're both fun single player games. At that price I'd be all over them if I didn't have them. Neither game struck me as having bad mouse controls, but it seems like I'm not that sensitive to that kind of thing.
They both have native 360 pad support though I can't remember if they change the button prompts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Murkas said:

Myself and a mate have co-op'd both Vegas games and they seemed fine, though admittedly it's been a long while (Vegas 2 came out in, what, '08?) The only thing I can recall that particularly bothered me is the games became quite easy.

kamspy

Stallion Free said:
Eh, I'd say that R6V2 was a significantly better port.

I just remember the AF and LOD being busted as hell on ATi cards when the game came out. Maybe it got patched or ATi addressed it in a driver update.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
Myself and a mate have co-op'd both Vegas games and they seemed fine, though admittedly it's been a long while (Vegas 2 came out in, what, '08?) The only thing I can recall that particularly bothered me is the games became quite easy.
Hardest difficulty + max terrorists in T-hunt is hard as fuck.

kamspy said:
I just remember the AF and LOD being busted as hell on ATi cards when the game came out. Maybe it got patched or ATi addressed it in a driver update.
Must have been fixed as I played on a 5850 last year and it was fine.

Murkas

Hmm looks like I'll get both Rainbow 6 Vegas since they're cheap. Maybe H.A.W.X 2 aswell since I love Ace Combat yet never played it (Can they compare).

And these games were made before Ubisoft started going DRM crazy right?

szaromir

Banned
Is the infiltration mode in Conviction worth it?

And such a shame Chaos Theory doesn't have a proper controller support. It's unplayable for me with kb/m :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:

I was referring to the story campaigns in particular. Don't think I've bothered with any other co-op modes, but that gives us something to try given the lack of co-op content in recent years. (Not before playing through Portal 2 co-op, though.)

Edit: Having just read up on it, Terrorist Hunt seems as though it could be fun.

IrishNinja

coopolon said:
Hmm, after seeing your post I went and checked CAG and numerous people have reported the same problem, one since last night.

ah, this really sucks. i traded a few games on this, and now CAG's thinking it might be delayed until tuesday (they also noted this puts it right outside the window for a return, natch).

Donos

Stallion Free said:

Must have been fixed as I played on a 5850 last year and it was fine.

yep, played through RSV2 just a week ago and now are playing all the levels on T-hunt with max difficulty, max enemies (always around 35-46) and it's hard as fuck. even with two teammates and i'm fairly good at fps.

Scoops

Banned
Just got Vegas 1. Never played it and I really enjoyed Vegas 2 on PC. I'm considering Conviction.

I had my eyes on Night Sky when it was announced for WiiWare years ago, but after it didn't come to WiiWare my interest sort of fell off. Plus $5 is a bit much for an indie game on Steam, at least when they pack them in groups of 5 for the same price.

Only other game I got during this week was Trackmania which I'm defintley enjoying.

Tempted to buy a Splinter Cell game, but they feel like backlog traps.

Heard good things about Convictions story. Anyone who can confirm? Suprised to see that the store page doesn´t mention any UbiDRM also.

legacyzero

Banned
szaromir said:
Is the infiltration mode in Conviction worth it?

And such a shame Chaos Theory doesn't have a proper controller support. It's unplayable for me with kb/m :(

In my opinion, NOTHING in Conviction is worth it. Even Double Agent is a better game, and that's saying something, as DA was not received very well

But SERIOUSLY GAF, buy Double Agent! That game's Multiplayer is too good to be dead. (I'm guessing the PC version was buggy because I play the 360 version religiously and love it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Joe Molotov said:
How is HAWX if you don't have a stick? Is it playable with a 360 pad or do you have to use KB/M?
Perfectly playable with the 360 pad. It's a console game so it was built with a pad in mind.

legacyzero said:
In my opinion, NOTHING in Conviction is worth it. Even Double Agent is a better game, and that's saying something, as DA was not received very well
Strange, cause I enjoyed Conviction significantly more than DA once I accepted that they game was trying something new with a series 5 games in.

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
a)I vastly prefer third person games with dual analog setup, controls much better
b)controlling Fisher's speed with the scrolling wheel is just awkward

I'm willing to give it a chance, had a lot of fun with Splinter Cells 2-4 on Xbox1, so I have some nostalgia for the series

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
szaromir said:
a)I vastly prefer third person games with dual analog setup, controls much better
b)controlling Fisher's speed with the scrolling wheel is just awkward
Hmm, I prefer the scroll wheel because of how precisely you can control the speed. Same with aiming with the mouse.

And precision is fairly important in those games.

legacyzero

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Perfectly playable with the 360 pad. It's a console game so it was built with a pad in mind.

Strange, cause I enjoyed Conviction significantly more than DA once I accepted that they game was trying something new with a series 5 games in.
Apologies. I guess I'm still bitter from them crippling the multiplayer component and COMPLETELY removing Spy vs Merc. Made the entire package sour. Co-op modes were fun, but that's all it's worth to me.

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hmm, I prefer the scroll wheel because of how precisely you can control the speed. Same with aiming with the mouse.

Why would you even need aiming in Splinter Cell? I played through CT on highest difficulty without knocking guards down.

Stallion Free said:

I agree. I feel like a master puppeteer when playing the first two Splinter Cell games with mouse and keyboard. You just have such good control over him creeping along.

Then Conviction happened and he's always running.

I've just made myself sad.

Veal said:
AHHHH FUCK YOU STEAM. I am so weak :(

Anybody know why Pandora Tomorrow isn't a part of this deal?
It isn't on Steam at all for some reason. Not that you're missing much, the original and Chaos Theory are the best.

Oh also, word of warning. Conviction has horribly inconsistent servers from what I've experienced. The past three times I've gone to play it, the uServers will not allow me to play. Chaos Theory had that occasionally too, but it's far more frequent in Conviction.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Question about the older ones:

- Is R6 3 the oldest R6 game on steam? I loved the tactical stuff they forced you to do before games in the earlier ones.

- Did GR ever get a direct sequel? Remember loving 1 but wondering if there's a better sequel that has aged better to try out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sysgen said:
Don't have it but I will in a couple of days. Did enough research to post it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Reminds me of the one I got, I found a Logitech Freedom 2.4 at Good Will for $5. Not Thrilled that it is wireless (And thus uses batteries), AND that it doesn't seem to have a real on off switch, but you can't beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006OP9C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have also been on the lookout for a good Steering Wheel, but nothing so far. Maybe I should just get something that uses a the old Game Port/Midi Port, and buy a PCI card. The biggest thing that has been holding me back so far is all the ones the past few month Good Will has had don't have both the Wheel and the Peddles (Or the Wheel is super cheap feeling)

Edit: Heh, you swivel the stick for a Z axis, I don't think it is practical but I find it really amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom