• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
GDJustin said:
Didn't buy anything during Ubi week. I nearly pulled the trigger on the Prince of Persia pack. Probably should have. But ah well, it'll go on sale again.

That's actually how I've been saving myself (and my wallet) from Steam sales, by the way.
I actually am in kind of similar spot to you, but the old Tom Clancy's games are the ultimate military games to this day so I'll buy some today. Also wanted to buy POP pack but held back for some reason.

Is Rainbow Six 3 still worth it for SP alone, though?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYH0nHPrNlk&feature=related
It seems run&gun in this video (first mission).

legacyzero

Banned
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826591

For anybody else having trouble launching Rainbow Six: Vegas. Fixed it instantly.

I had the same problem on my Vista 64-bit machine, but the following solution works perfectly with no issues at all.

- Go to the "steamapps\common\rainbow six vegas\Binaries" directory in your Steam folder.

- Make a backup of the "R6Vegas_Launcher" file, and remove it from the folder (or simply rename it to something else).

- Rename the "R6Vegas_Game" file to "R6Vegas_Launcher".

Posted by: MSmith83 on the Steam Forum.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
1-D_FTW said:
There's no crying in baseball and no logic allowed in Steam threads. WTF? Didn't you see me just celebrating my backlog being -1? Did I fixate on the fact I purchased 4 games today and am actually +3 on the backlog for the day? No, sir. That's not how I roll.

Ha, fair enough.

They're good games for good prices. Hard to go wrong. I used to want to amass a "library" so I could dip into something whenever I want.

I'm still like that, but having PoP in my library now, or having PoP in my library this summer, makes no real difference.

Javaman

furly said:
If anyone is looking to buy World in Conflict, this pack is cheaper than buying the game+expansion separately http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1471
I don't know why it doesn't show up in the search
I can't access the sales right now but going by memory buying both is more expensive since the expansion also comes with the original. If you buy both you're actually buying two copies of the first and one of the second.

coopolon

GDJustin said:
Didn't buy anything during Ubi week. I nearly pulled the trigger on the Prince of Persia pack. Probably should have. But ah well, it'll go on sale again.

That's actually how I've been saving myself (and my wallet) from Steam sales, by the way.

I was going down the same path as many of you. Paying $2-$5 for games just because of the price and not because of the game. Or nabbing something on sale "just to have it." Like many others, I rapidly accumulated a library of 100+ games, at a cost of $250+, only to realize there was about ~10 games I ever wanted to actually PLAY.

The realization that things will go on sale again has really helped me.

I wanted the PoP pack, but I won't play it right now, so why not wait for the summer sale? Likewise, I'm mildly interested in GRAW 2 and HAWX, but I probably wouldn't play them before summer, and there's a good chance they'll both be $5 then.

Basically, I don't buy if there's no intent to play. If I suddenly get the urge, the next steam sale is only a couple months away...

Edit: I did nab NightSky though. <3 Nicalis.

I thought this way once, and I've been regretting that decision for a year. Last summer sale there was a really good Call of Duty pack for $30, CoD 1, 2, 3, 4, and World at War I think (maybe didn't have 3, can't remember.) That is a really good deal, but I'd already purchased a lot of games for the summer sale, my backlog had ballooned, and I thought I'll just wait till the Thanksgiving sale, or the Xmas sale, or a weekend deal.

Well, since then the deals on CoD games have been total shit. I think the package was so successful Activision realized they could still charge way too much money for these games. And I have wanted to play the CoD games multiple times since then, and have almost bought CoD4 at outrageous prices a few times.

So now if the cost is below $10/game and I am even remotely interested in it, I buy it. I don't care if it drops a few dollars in 12 months and I still haven't played it yet. I'll only buy a game over $10 if it's something I really want to play and expect to start after beating whatever game I'm currently on.

1-D_FTW

GDJustin said:
Ha, fair enough.

They're good games for good prices. Hard to go wrong. I used to want to amass a "library" so I could dip into something whenever I want.

I'm still like that, but having PoP in my library now, or having PoP in my library this summer, makes no real difference.

I'm just giving you a hard time. It is good logic. I just take comfort in knowing that while my willpower may suck, it's still better than some.

szaromir said:
Is Rainbow Six 3 still worth it for SP alone, though?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYH0nHPrNlk&feature=related
It seems run&gun in this video (first mission).
Absolutely. What that video doesn't include is the planning phase, standard plan has another team running from a different entry point, once you get hostages in there you won't be able to just run around without a plan. It's really pretty much the same as Rogue Spear, albeit maybe slightly smaller levels (or maybe just not as good/memorable, 747 <33333333). You can fail a mission really quickly in Raven Shield if you screw up.

You can run and gun too if you wish/are good enough, which is what the lonewolf option is for (was in Rogue Spear as well), it's what makes the games so goddamn good and replayable!

Salsa

got the Splinter Cell pack and Vegas 1, gonna get 2 later probably as we're gonna do coop with 2 friends, should be great!

No one to play Conviction Co-op though, so im not gettin that DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Installing Vegas 2, and it's been installing punk-buster for like 15 minutes. Is this normal or is my shit fucked up?

Weenerz

Banned
Ended up getting R6 and GRAW packs, not bad for $27.

Snuggler said:
Installing Vegas 2, and it's been installing punk-buster for like 15 minutes. Is this normal or is my shit fucked up?

Minimize your windows one by one, Punkbuster likes to open a window in the background but not put it on your task bar.

stuminus3

speculawyer said:
Nitpick: Why isn't Sum of All Fears on sale? That is a Tom Clancy game.
It's got something to do with it not actually being a "Tom Clancy" game... it's a movie-licensed tie in for the Sum Of All Fears movie which is of course a Tom Clancy book. However it's licenced from the movie, not the "Tom Clancy" brand. Yes, it's kind of silly, especially since it's like R6 and was made by Red Storm.

TheExodu5

Banned
Snuggler said:

There's probably a Punkbuster window open without you noticing. It doesn't appear on the taskbar.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Buttonbasher said:
You probably just have a lot of Punks to bust.

rotten punks, I knew they had something to do with this

EDIT - thanks guys, that's it

LOL, it defaults to my native res but 4:3 for some reason. What kind of jerk still has a 4:3 monitor...

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Green Biker Dude said:
does splinter cell chaos theory work on windows 7? there are quite a few results on google saying it doesn't.
Working mighty fine on my laptop with Win 7 x64

Also, ended up spending more than I expected this week (ACII, Conviction, Sam & Max complete)

NGAMER9

Picked up the first Rainbow Six Vegas, really just for some co-op with friends. I wish Vegas 2 had full 4 player co-op as well, that's a big feature for me.

I'm so happy NightSky is the daily deal. I've been meaning to get that for a long time now. The Daily Deals started out "meh" but have been getting better, at least for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, is it just me or does Vegas 2 have a very cramped FOV? The gun takes up like 1/3 of the screen, not a fan of that. I'm claustrophobic.

Give me back my 3 dollars!
Xm4FW.gif

T-Hunt seems pretty fun still, but damn I suck, and the FOV is throwing me off.

Ledsen

I can recommend Conviction to everyone because of the amazing, amazing Deniable Ops modes (can be played single player or even better, co-op). Just ignore the campaign if you don't like it (it's pretty good though), because Deniable Ops is where it's at. Simply amazing. I even made a thread about it, read it at your leisure:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428064

Zzoram said:
Chaos Theory was widely considered to be the best of those 3 games, and the PC version of Double Agent is better and very different than the console version

The PC version is the same as the 360 and PS3 versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell:_Double_Agent#Xbox_360.2C_Windows_and_PlayStation_3_version

It's the last-gen versions that are different (and supposedly better).

Meier

Meier said:
Anyone else pick up The Settlers 7 and have this problem?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/abellwillring/screenshot/560909772405082734

All the castles, trees, etc. are just silhouettes. I had the issue at the start-up but figured it was just a glitch but it persists to the campaign. Any suggestions? I can't post on Steam's forums yet since I am waiting for an activation from the mods.
If anyone else has this issue, you need to click the let application control AA and Anisotropic Filtering and it will work. Woot!

dLMN8R

Conviction is my favorite Splinter Cell game by far. It wonderfully combined stealth with a ton of awesome utilities, a control scheme that let you pull off ridiculous manouvers very quickly and elegantly, and the game never punishes you for using the tools given to you.

The worst part of the earlier Splinter Cell games was that you were given all these amazing weapons, but the game punished you if you ever used them. It was just such a frustrating trial and error design.

Conviction is basically the perfect Jack Bauer game.

I'm without a gaming desktop for the next two months. I don't know if I'll be able to make it without buying Steam games for that long. What I need is games that I can play on an Eee PC netbook.

graywolf323

Lasthope106 said:
I'm without a gaming desktop for the next two months. I don't know if I'll be able to make it without buying Steam games for that long. What I need is games that I can play on an Eee PC netbook.

well then just buy games still and be ready to play them when you get a gaming pc :p

just wait for the Summer Sale though, it'll be in about a month

gibration

Strider2K99 said:
If you really like Deniable Ops, it's decent at that price. It's all new locations not seen in campaign.
demolitio said:
For that price, I think so as long as you have a coop buddy to play with. If you're not a huge fan of Conviction then hold off.
I just bought Conviction so I have yet to play it(still downloading). I also don't have anyone to play it with but im just going to buy it. lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's like Ubisoft rolled out the Tom Clancy dumpster for people to pick through.

Sutton Dagger said:
As I have only had Steam for like 2 weeks, I have never experienced one of these 'Summer' sales. When does start (date) and what can I expect? :)
Last year's Perils of Summer Sale was from June 24 to July 4. You could save up to 95% off. Link.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sutton Dagger said:
As I have only had Steam for like 2 weeks, I have never experienced one of these 'Summer' sales. When does start (date) and what can I expect? :)

Typically you can expect 75% of the store on sale, with sales varying from 30% to 95% off. Steam has changed it up a little bit over the last few years, but typically there are base sale prices for items the entire week, and then certain items have deeper discounts for one day of the week, and the last day of the week has the most popular sales from throughout the week.

So typically the best way to do it is to pick out everything you want and wait until the last day, only buying things before that if they are the featured daily sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom