• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Ben

Banned
Agh, bloody crossover mac ports. Conviction crashes on startup, looks like i'm not playing it until I get my new laptop.

PaulLFC said:
You just convinced me to add R63 to my purchases for today. Would you say it's worth picking up one of the Vegas games? If so which one would be best, the sequel? I realise they'll likely be quite different from Rainbow Six 3, but I never got round to playing them back when they were released.
The first one is alright, yeah. Add co-op and you have a fun game in your hands. I hear it's better than the sequel which seemed to be rushed out the gate, I never played that though so you'll have to ask someone else about it.

3chopl0x said:
Anyone know a solution to GR1 crashing on startup? Tried XP compatibility and running as admin :s
Are you getting any error messages? I didn't have to do anything special in order to get it to run on W7 64-bit.

Echoplx

Danne-Danger said:
Are you getting any error messages? I didn't have to do anything special in order to get it to run on W7 64-bit.

I launch it then a message pops up saying 'ghostrecon.exe has stopped working'

This is on a i7/GTX470

e_i

Okay...this week I gots:

Prince of Persia pack
Assassin's Creed 1 DC
Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe
Splinter Cell pack

I've got a copy of Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, as well as all HL2 games, that I'm looking to trade for the Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six pack. Also interested in Conviction. Steam id is my username, let me know if you're interested.

Cday

Banned
Wonder why Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam. Was it too shitty of a port or something? For that matter why isn't Fable on Steam, why isn't Freedom Fighters on Steam?

Duki said:
which of these clancy games are good tbh

never played any of them D:

DD:

Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
GRAW
GRAW 2
Rainbow Six 3
Vegas

sk3tch

Danne-Danger said:
IMO both Rainbow Six 3: Gold (INSANE value for money) and Ghost Recon 1 with its expansions are worth anyone's money. This is a judgement I'm qualified to make. The games that follow are just watered down shadows of their forefathers, fun for a while but throwaway.

Good advice - I followed it. :) For ~$10 it's a worthy investment and since those are older games, they should play well on my ThinkPad X120e netbook (AMD Fusion E-350 powered). I am hoping to receive it later this week.

Echoplx

Danne-Danger said:
Have you tried "verify integrity of game cache"? (properties -> local files -> verify integrity)

Yeah it checked up fine, still not working :(

This is the first time an old game I've bought hasn't worked.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Cday said:
Wonder why Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam. Was it too shitty of a port or something? For that matter why isn't Fable on Steam, why isn't Freedom Fighters on Steam?

DD:

Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
GRAW
GRAW 2
Rainbow Six 3
Vegas

Woops was thinking of freedom force

Baha

3chopl0x said:

Try running steam in compatibility mode for Vista or XP, see if that helps.

LiK

wow all the tom clancy stuff is ridiculously cheap. tho i doubt i'll get them since i beat all of them already on the consoles.

PaulLFC

Orellio said:
You know Steam has got you bad when you start thinking 6.79 is too much for a game.

KuGsj.gif
so true.

AC2 Deluxe was £6.20 in the sale, but I decided to wait for it to be cheaper. Steam has taught me well.

Baha said:
Try running steam in compatibility mode for Vista or XP, see if that helps.

He could find the exe for that game and set it to compatibility mode. Setting the whole Steam could mess something up for another game.

plc268

Bummer... steam overlay doesn't seem to work with R6V1, and it doesn't track your playtime as well.

Oh well, brings back memories though, haven't played this in a while.

3chopl0x said:

Well then you should consider yourself lucky!

I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that it works for me, maybe just re-download the whole thing? Delete the exe then verify integrity? (giving you a new .exe, though I doubt the issue would be that simple!)

Are you running your desktop at some crazy resolution? I know GR supports both 1600x1200 and 1920x1080 out of the box, not sure about others.

Echoplx

Syphon Filter said:
He could find the exe for that game and set it to compatibility mode. Setting the whole Steam could mess something up for another game.

Already tried that.

Danne-Danger said:
Well then you should consider yourself lucky!

I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that it works for me, maybe just re-download the whole thing? Delete the exe then verify integrity? (giving you a new .exe, though I doubt the issue would be that simple!)

Are you running your desktop at some crazy resolution? I know GR supports both 1600x1200 and 1920x1080 out of the box, not sure about others.

Haha, I guess I have been pretty lucky :p

My desktop res is 2560x1440.. Maybe that's it?

3chopl0x said:
Already tried that.

Could be worth a shot! Try lowering it, or set the game to run in 640x480 through compatibility mode, if you just get it to start maybe you can get to play with some settings.

3chopl0x said:
Already tried that.

Yea i was thinking maybe it's a resolution problem. Try messing around with the graphics card settings. Compatibility mode usually does the trick for many older games.

BioHazard

SapientWolf said:
There is a suspicious lack of World in Conflict on that list.

Haha yea, I'll get it on Steam eventually, but I have the retail disc for now. Great game though. I still haven't played that Soviet Assault thing yet...

Darksiders is so badass, I love it. I just wish the PC port had a few more of the basic graphics options exposed, but forcing v sync and aa is something I can take care of with the nvidia control panel. I should look into using the D3DOverrider.

BioHazard

SalsaShark said:
where can you see that?

Log in to the steam website and click on <yourusername>'s account in the upper right corner. Then account details, then store transactions.

What's your steamID anyway, SalsaShark?

SalsaShark said:
where can you see that?

In the upper right hand corner of the Steam client you'll see SalsaShark'sAccount (or whatever you used for the email), click that. This will bring up a list (Licenses & Subscriptions) of all the games you've purchased through Steam or retail. There's a Store Transactions category, that's how you see that.

1-D_FTW

Conviction seems pretty good. My other two Ballistix memory modules gave up the ghost this weekend, so I'm back to 2GB until I can RMA these turds. Made me abandon Alpha Protocol for something that can run under that RAM footprint. Seems pretty good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jaundicejuice said:
Darksiders is so badass, I love it. I just wish the PC port had a few more of the basic graphics options exposed, but forcing v sync and aa is something I can take care of with the nvidia control panel. I should look into using the D3DOverrider.
Yeah I definitely recommend throwing triple-buffering on it and at least 8x AA. The art looks fucking splendid in HD.

Portalbox

Anyone knows why the mac games count keep going up and down without reason? I remember it was almost at 200, then it went down to 192, then it was at 196 and it's now at 194.

Jesus, PC GRAW is one ugly motherfucker. I don't remember it looking this bad.

I also forgot that it's made by GRIN! I thought it was Starbreeze as I remember people saying "it's made by x so it's good!", but they (if "they" ever existed) meant GRIN!

GRIN!

Hot topic!

plc268

Damn, terrorist hunt in R6V2 seems cheap as hell. Even playing on casual, I'm having difficult killing more than 12 out 25. They always seem to pop up around the corner I just cleared too.

It's probably more balanced for coop anyway.

Mafro

plc268 said:
Damn, terrorist hunt in R6V2 seems cheap as hell. Even playing on casual, I'm having difficult killing more than 12 out 25. They always seem to pop up around the corner I just cleared too.

There's some pretty awful AI shotgun sniping in that game, especially in the singleplayer.

plc268 said:

Yeah, it is. On my own I didn't last long because, like you said, they just literally pop up anywhere. I mean, they would appear right in front of me at times. But my brother-in-law and I managed to get threw the majority of it on our own. A couple maps gave us trouble and required two more people.

Salsa

Ubi sales damage:

Ass Creed 1
Ass Creed 2
Prince Of Persia Bundle
Splinter Cell Bundle
Trackmania super duper edition
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Sam and Max complete and Samorost 2 on the side..

pre-ttay good

plc268

LastWindow said:
Yeah, it is. On my own I didn't last long because, like you said, they just literally pop up anywhere. I mean, they would appear right in front of me at times. But my brother-in-law and I managed to get threw the majority of it on our own. A couple maps gave us trouble and required two more people.

Yea, my biggest problem so far is clearing a rooftop and building, and then when you're on the ground level, all of a sudden 2-3 more terrorists come down to wreck your day. So many times I just wanted to pull my hair out because I died in such stupid ways.

That said, it's still fun SP, and if I can ever get my friend to log on, I'll do some coop.

e_i

Gah...the DNF demo is coming this week to FAC users. Is this coming through Steam (I guess with a code or something)?

Damage on my end:

Prince of Persia '08
The Settlers 7 (DRM is making me regret this though)
Trackmania
Assassin's Creed 2
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Splinter Cell: Conviction

Mini Ninjas, Uplink, Dungeons, Hoard, Sam & Max seasons, Fallout 3: Game of the Year (GameStop deal), Samorost 2, and NightSky on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom