• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Stumpokapow said:
Typically you can expect 75% of the store on sale, with sales varying from 30% to 95% off. Steam has changed it up a little bit over the last few years, but typically there are base sale prices for items the entire week, and then certain items have deeper discounts for one day of the week, and the last day of the week has the most popular sales from throughout the week.

So typically the best way to do it is to pick out everything you want and wait until the last day, only buying things before that if they are the featured daily sales.

So true, I always see people getting burned by not waiting until after the daily deals are over.

Salsa

Holy shit at Vegas 2 reducing the co-op campaign to two players instead of 4 (and 8 before that).

Talk about taking out the fun of the whole experience :/ multiplayer coop was the highlight for me.

Smokey

Syphon Filter said:
Worth every penny.

I know. I had it years ago and just recently built a new gaming PC after being out of the scene for YEARS (talking BF1942 era).

Thought it'd be cheaper by now.

How does the Conviction co-op compare to Chaos Theory? Are there still co-op moves, multiple routes, ability to trick lure enemies into traps, etc... or is it more run and gun?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I got Ghost Recon pack, Splinter Cell pack, and the first RSV.

At this rate between the EA sale, Rockstar sale, and Ubisoft sale, there won't be a crazy amount left to pick up during the summer sale!

famous last words :\

Stumpokapow said:
So I've played 69 minutes of NightSky and I'm 60% done.

Keep that in mind.
Is that for both difficulty levels or just one of them? I think the hard mode is supposed to feature entirely different puzzles than the normal mode.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
Is that for both difficulty levels or just one of them? I think the hard mode is supposed to feature entirely different puzzles than the normal mode.

Just one, and yeah the description for the hard mode seems to suggest that it has its own puzzle set.

MNC

SalsaShark said:
got the Splinter Cell pack and Vegas 1, gonna get 2 later probably as we're gonna do coop with 2 friends, should be great!

No one to play Conviction Co-op though, so im not gettin that DLC.
Pack? I can't find no pack! Aaaaah!

Also, if I buy Double Agent, Chaos Theory without Conviction, am I still doing the right thing?

gdt

Hmm, wierd, this morning, I was able to max ACII at 50-60 fps, but now, even at the low low low of the game, I'm hovering at a very unstable 40 fps (same fps as everything maxed)... Let me try rebooting, or maybe my laptop switched to the low power GPU or something...

gdt

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, wierd, this morning, I was able to max ACII at 50-60 fps, but now, even at the low low low of the game, I'm hovering at a very unstable 40 fps (same fps as everything maxed)... Let me try rebooting, or maybe my laptop switched to the low power GPU or something...

Another thing, even when paused, it drops down to 30 fps for no reason. Quickly climbs back up, then in 10 seconds-ish, does the drop again.

Gonna turn of d3d...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wow playing through Ghost Recon is a blast from the past. It feels like these older Tom Clancy games were a bit more...adult oriented? That might be the wrong phrase to describe it but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Ledsen

BuddhaRockstar said:
How does the Conviction co-op compare to Chaos Theory? Are there still co-op moves, multiple routes, ability to trick lure enemies into traps, etc... or is it more run and gun?

It's very similar, but of course you don't have as many options in Conviction. Still has the same atmosphere though.

Blizzard

Banned
Aww, no Petz today. ;p

These sales are going to bankrupt me though. Since the daily deals started, and Ubisoft all this week, my grand total stands at $2.00 for Samorost 2. NightSky is kind of stylish but I'm passing for now. :p

gdt

Yeah, my ds3 triggers don't register on the menu anymore. And holy fuck is it complicated to set the gamepad controls up. Might play with a mouse though, but only when I get my new one in, the current one I have kinda sucks for gaming. It locks up when I move too fast, so I've turned up mouse sensitivity to compensate. Doesn't do that in ACII though...

wienke said:
Wow playing through Ghost Recon is a blast from the past. It feels like these older Tom Clancy games were a bit more...adult oriented? That might be the wrong phrase to describe it but I can't quite put my finger on it.
No that's exactly the right phrase. "Mature" would've been another good one... "intellectually stimulating/demanding", "realistic", "not dumbed down", "fun", "well made", "like objectively better games", “varied”, "first person", “open” etc. I could do this all day!

I already have the Splinter Cell pack from an earlier sale, I'm not really into tactical military shooters (my tastes in shooters skew more towards the ridiculous) so I don't think I'll grab the Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six packs, but the Hawx games look kinda interesting. The second game looks like its a disaster while the first received middling to alright reviews. I'm going to download the demo but any feedback or impressions would be appreciated. I skimmed back a few pages but didn't really see much mention about either Hawx game.

1-D_FTW

Stumpokapow said:
Typically you can expect 75% of the store on sale, with sales varying from 30% to 95% off. Steam has changed it up a little bit over the last few years, but typically there are base sale prices for items the entire week, and then certain items have deeper discounts for one day of the week, and the last day of the week has the most popular sales from throughout the week.

So typically the best way to do it is to pick out everything you want and wait until the last day, only buying things before that if they are the featured daily sales.

The exception being the opening minutes of the first day. If there's a publisher package that seems to good to be true, it probably is. Don't dick around. I'm still kicking myself over the 1C package (and I didn't own a single 1C game at the time) that got pulled.

coopolon

So I think it's going to be the Splinter Cell pack and the R6V1 and 2. R6 3 is tempting but I never was that into the first two (which I have on disc) so I don't think I'm going to dig the third either.

desu

So I got a couple of games gifted. One of them was HAWX2+DLC. Now the strange thing is that its not in my list even though the steam site tells me that I own the game. But its not in my list and wont let me install it when I try to click the play button on the steam page. Anyone had that happen yet? And yes I tried restarting steam.

Actually fuck it, I think I've acquired enough games over the last few days and weeks, I don't need Hawx. The Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia series as well as Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. And a free copy of Darksiders.

I think I'm good until the summer sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A little under 2 hours to finish the first set of levels in NightSky; although after you finish the game, select levels gain hidden items you can go back to pick up and there's a second set of levels that's supposedly harder.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Danne-Danger said:
No that's exactly the right phrase. "Mature" would've been another good one... "intellectually stimulating/demanding", "realistic", "not dumbed down", "fun", "well made", "like objectively better games", “varied”, "first person", “open” etc. I could do this all day!

Yeah all those things. They also feel like they cater more towards the people who have read his books and such.

I miss games sometimes from before the "streamlined experience" era.

Squalltdx

Ugh, the Assassins Creed 2 issues are making me go nuts now. Nothing I've tried so far seems to work and I can't seem to find any solution online. Going to try and reinstall and hope for the best.

Joe Molotov

Squalltdx said:
Ugh, the Assassins Creed 2 issues are making me go nuts now. Nothing I've tried so far seems to work and I can't seem to find any solution online. Going to try and reinstall and hope for the best.

What issues are you having?

Joe Molotov said:
What issues are you having?

From two pages back...

So I started playing Assassins Creed 2 today but I've run into 2 problems very early, 1st issue is when I start the game it freezes at the Ubi logo animation for over 30 seconds and it eventually plays and goes to the title screen. The 2nd issue is the game just randomly seems to minimize back to desktop every several minutes. Besides those 2 issues the game seems to be running great so I'm not sure what may be causing it. Anyone else experience this?

Qwomo

Ugghgghghh I accidentally bought AssCreed II. Yesterday during the sale I plopped it in my cart and was getting ready to buy it because it was cheap, but then I remembered I already had it on OnLive so I just exited out and went about my business.

Then today, I see Splinter Cell is on sale, so I buy that, but I do so without noticing that AssCreed is still in my cart. Paying 20 bucks for a game that I didn't want to buy at 10 bucks (and then add the cost of Splinter Cell on top) sucks butthole.

Pandoracell said:
So just to clarify, Rainbow Six 3 is very much hardcore in the sense that the original Rainbow Six was?
In the same sense that Rogue Spear was, yes. I never played the games prior to that.

Well, I played the PS1 version one time, but as far as I understand it that counts for NOTHING!
Duki said:
which of these clancy games are good tbh

never played any of them D:
Rainbow Six 3: Gold is the best Tom Clancy game on the store right now. It's IMO much easier to pick up than Ghost Recon and has a TON of depth. The reason why I say it's easier to pick up is because of the available pre-planned missions in Raven Shield (Rainbow Six 3), it's a section before each mission where you set waypoints, put together teams and equip them etc. All the pre-planning is there for you if you want to mess with it, otherwise you can just stick with the plan the devs made and enjoy one hell of a game. Chances are that after you've failed a mission a couple of times, you'll go back to the planning phase and alter some routes or equipment, giving you a natural and gradual introduction to the game's deeper systems.

In Ghost Recon, you do all that on the fly in-game, you need to bring up the map and set waypoints for your squadmates to do anything but stand still and shoot stuff. It's really simple to do and works fairly intuitively, but it's not as pick-up and play as Raven Shield, nor is it as deep with what you can do on a map. It's very satisfying though, and it plays more to what that game is about, you go in, recon the situation and plan accordingly.

Both also have Lone Wolf options for the campaigns if you just want to solo your way through, really tough but also fun as hell! On top of that there's terrorist hunt (squad and lone wolf) and all that juicy stuff. And a TON of guns and gadgets to play around with (in Raven Shield).

IMO both Rainbow Six 3: Gold (INSANE value for money) and Ghost Recon 1 with its expansions are worth anyone's money. This is a judgement I'm qualified to make. The games that follow are just watered down shadows of their forefathers, fun for a while but throwaway.

Duki said:

The only games I've played considerably were the Rainbow Six Vegas games on 360. I absolutely loved them, but I can't attest to the story mode since I only played Terrorist Hunt.

Aselith

Qwomo said:
Ugghgghghh I accidentally bought AssCreed II. Yesterday during the sale I plopped it in my cart and was getting ready to buy it because it was cheap, but then I remembered I already had it on OnLive so I just exited out and went about my business.

Then today, I see Splinter Cell is on sale, so I buy that, but I do so without noticing that AssCreed is still in my cart. Paying 20 bucks for a game that I didn't want to buy at 10 bucks (and then add the cost of Splinter Cell on top) sucks butthole.
You might contact support and just see if they can reverse it. Wouldn't hurt.

coopolon

Aselith said:
You might contact support and just see if they can reverse it. Wouldn't hurt.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Just make sure you don't download it. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Baha

Duki said:

Depends what you're looking for. For single player you can get some decent mileage from both vegas games at their current price, though I would highly suggest playing them in co-op (vegas is 4 player co-op and vegas 2 is 2 player co-op, both have online terrorist hunt modes as well). Rainbow 6 3 & Ghost Recon games are more tactical and support co-op in addition to their lengthy single player campaigns. For splinter cell, Chaos Theory is the one to get especially if you can find someone to play co-op with since the co-op is mission based and is independent of single player.

PaulLFC

Danne-Danger said:
Rainbow Six 3: Gold is the best Tom Clancy game on the store right now. It's IMO much easier to pick up than Ghost Recon and has a TON of depth. The reason why I say it's easier to pick up is because of the available pre-planned missions in Raven Shield (Rainbow Six 3), it's a section before each mission where you set waypoints, put together teams and equip them etc. All the pre-planning is there for you if you want to mess with it, otherwise you can just stick with the plan the devs made and enjoy one hell of a game. Chances are that after you've failed a mission a couple of times, you'll go back to the planning phase and alter some routes or equipment, giving you a natural and gradual introduction to the game's deeper systems.

In Ghost Recon, you do all that on the fly in-game, you need to bring up the map and set waypoints for your squadmates to do anything but stand still and shoot stuff. It's really simple to do and works fairly intuitively, but it's not as pick-up and play as Raven Shield, nor is it as deep with what you can do on a map. It's very satisfying though, and it plays more to what that game is about, you go in, recon the situation and plan accordingly.

Both also have Lone Wolf options for the campaigns if you just want to solo your way through, really tough but also fun as hell! On top of that there's terrorist hunt (squad and lone wolf) and all that juicy stuff. And a TON of guns and gadgets to play around with (in Raven Shield).

IMO both Rainbow Six 3: Gold (INSANE value for money) and Ghost Recon 1 with its expansions are worth anyone's money. This is a judgement I'm qualified to make. The games that follow are just watered down pale shadows of their forefathers, fun for a while but throwaway.

You just convinced me to add R63 to my purchases for today. Would you say it's worth picking up one of the Vegas games? If so which one would be best, the sequel? I realise they'll likely be quite different from Rainbow Six 3, but I never got round to playing them back when they were released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom