• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

Orellio said:
In the recent past with EA games, did they show up in the registry even though they didn't have a page on the store or available for pre-purchase before release? I just realized the new Alice game is coming out in a few weeks and all pre-orders get the original Alice for free. The game seems to kinda be flying under the radar so I'm curious if there's any chance it/they won't show up on Steam at all.

If it's like previous EA games it will show up on Steam after the pre-order bonus is finished.

3chopl0x said:
lol

ns2iRl.png
What is it?

Oreoleo

3chopl0x said:
If it's like previous EA games it will show up on Steam after the pre-order bonus is finished.

Yeah that's what I'm assuming will happen. My reasoning is tenuous but I guess I'm just worried since it seems to be a low-key game that EA won't "bother" putting it on Steam. Sort of hoping someone with registry access can try looking it up and putting my mind at ease.

Echoplx

The_Player said:
What is it?

The new Magicka DLC, I manged to use my credit and trade in value from games i got for free to make it 8c :p

Orellio said:
Yeah that's what I'm assuming will happen. My reasoning is tenuous but I guess I'm just worried since it seems to be a low-key game that EA won't "bother" putting it on Steam. Sort of hoping someone with registry access can try looking it up and putting my mind at ease.

I just skimmed over the registry and didn't see it, though I vaguely recall seeing it a while ago, I am tired so might have missed it.

UrbanRats

Playing Conviction with a 360 pad, i can't get Sam to walk instead of run.
i push the analog stick extra lightly, but he runs anyways.
Anybody having this problem aswell?

Solar 2 is coming to Steam on June 17: http://murudai.com/solar/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00Gtpi2Nr8

Description:

In most games you see stars in the background, you shoot asteroids or you live on planets. But in Solar 2 you ARE these objects! Enter a universe where you must prove yourself to the resident god-like figure by doing its many bizarre and varied tasks. Or just ignore it and see how big you can grow!

Solar 2 is an open-world, sandbox game set in an infinite abstract universe. Play constructively: grow your system, nurture life on your planets and attack enemy life in huge space battles. Play destructively: crash into other objects and cause chaos, use your orbiting objects like wrecking balls, steal planets from other systems.

Features:

Dynamic abstract sandbox universe. Changes and evolves as you do.
Non-linear missions and open-world gameplay.
No boundaries. Drift forever in ambient space bliss.
Full of weird eccentric humor and stuff.
Extensive custom sound track.

Solar 1:

Solar was originally released in March 2009 on Xbox LIVE Indie Games. Yeah that’s right, it’s actually quite an old game now. It was a prototype of the full version of the game, now called Solar 2 (so I don’t get a naming conflict with the prototype). Solar 2 is my vision for how the game was always meant to be and I hope you enjoy it!

The original Solar is available only on Xbox LIVE Indie Games. The core gameplay remains largely unchanged between Solar and Solar 2 (why change what works so well?), just with much more content, presented differently and heaps of polish. Worth checking out if you want to see how far the game has evolved!

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
I don't understand why people post shit completely irrelevant to Steam in a Steam thread.

Oh hey, guess what, the game starts up fine for me from Steam. Jokes on you for using a different D2D platform.

Best part of the joke is that Steam had it on sale for 3.49 during the Holiday sale. That was a great deal. Glad I got talked into it.

Volcynika

Orellio said:
In the recent past with EA games, did they show up in the registry even though they didn't have a page on the store or available for pre-purchase before release? I just realized the new Alice game is coming out in a few weeks and all pre-orders get the original Alice for free. The game seems to kinda be flying under the radar so I'm curious if there's any chance it/they won't show up on Steam at all.

From what I remember, it's an EA store "exclusive" to get the original Alice game when buying Madness Returns, as a digital download (for the PC version). Some Complete Collection or whatever. Should be in the PR that announced all that for consoles/PC.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So yeah, this Poker RPG thing will probably be a day one for me.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/102200/

Also, Gabe was talking up Sword and Poker BIG TIME on that interview he did recently and mentioned how he was trying to get in contact with Gaia (the creators of the game who may or may be still around). I wonder if the two are related?

Also, no video.. but this comes out today and also looks kind of cool.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/42140/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vyer said:
congratulations on being a dick on the internet. I'm sure it'll get you far.

In case you hadn't noticed, the last few pages were relevant to the discussion, including some tips on getting the game downloaded from said platform optimized. Now if you don't mind, the adults are talking.
I like that people take the effort to point out that I'm a dick, but not a single person tries to help you figure your issue out.

amrod

Hunted: The Demon's Forge is not a steamworks game :(

There goes the idea that all Bethesda Softworks games will be steamworks...

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
I like that people take the effort to point out that I'm a dick, but not a single person tries to help you figure your issue out.

He's being a dick again pointing out other dicks!

And for his solution, it will come this summer when Bully will be up on a sale and he will finally be able to play it.

Try a no CD crack could be DRM causing problems?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
Must be because this is the "Steam Thread" not "help me fix Bully which I downloaded from GamersGate or whatever" thread.

If he really wants help, he should seek the Bully PC thread or the Digital-Download-service-of-his-choice thread.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SalsaShark said:
how much doest it cost? doesnt show up for me..
It is odd that the game is released in three hours and there's no price. Well, to me, I'm (mostly) new to the Steam platform.

I would wager a good guess on it being $9.99, perhaps with a 10% or 20% off for the first week or so.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One month old, and Dino D-Day is already 50% off. Guess they overestimated the number of people who would pay $20 for the game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'll admit I say this without having played the game, but Dino D-day should have started out at $10 or $15, tops. And then I'd buy it at 50% off.

This isn't a judgement of quality, just what this kind of game is worth to me.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nabs said:
CitiesXL 2011 is 10 bucks. Midweek Madness.
Which is a bit of a blow to anyone who bought Cities XL (The broken one) on the daily deal not too long ago.

That being said...I'm tempted for some reason.

LegoDad

Stop It said:
Which is a bit of a blow to anyone who bought Cities XL (The broken one) on the daily deal not too long ago.

Cause it's Simcity 5 which we have all been waiting for.

kamspy

I wish Dino D Day launched at $5. Everyone would have it and you could always revel in a full server of dinosaur nazis madness.

1-D_FTW

Princess Skittles said:
Explain?

I'm passing since it's a multi-player only game, but the concept is stupid/awesome enough to be interested in.

Probably because those games have enough problem getting traction where they're priced cheaply. At 20 dollars, it pretty much guaranteed the online community would be DOA barring spectacular reviews.

At least if it had a campaign, you wouldn't have to worry if it were playable or not. For a game that had the most high concept take imaginable, they sure bungled everything else.

Sober

Stop It said:

It sounds tempting too. I am perusing the manual (pretty sparse considering, only 17 pages) and looking at some forum posts at other sites like simtropolis. Take what I say with a grain (truckload) of salt as I haven't played the 2009 version either, and I really only dabbled a bit with the City Life demo way back when:

• zoning is in 2011 instead of the dreaded plop and drop, almost like simcity - you pick densities but you also have control of other factors like socioeconomic (residential), type of production (industry, e.g. heavy, light, agriculture; they also split offices into industry instead of commercial unlike SC) and service type (commercial)
    • some people are saying there is a bit of jank associated with rezoning, probably not a big issue although it will likely affect the function of your cities for a while, but doesn't sound too serious from SC4D either
    • otherwise, like simcity, you have direct placement of infrastructure, so roads, public services, aesthetics, utilities, etc.
  • obviously in 3D vs 2D iso SC4; also conflicting reports of W7x64 working or not for SC4 and performance issues for SC4 since it can't support newer hardware at all without alot of work
  • no limited to the square grid, so you can do more with aesthetics, roads aren't on a 1x1 tile etc.
  • apparently the mod community is still transitioning from the 2009 CitiesXL, much of the city sim modding community is still stuck in SC4 for obvious reasons (iso and 2D mean they don't have real limits like 3D sims do on poly count + texture size especially)
  • 2011 has buildings locked away, but from what I can find (the manual mostly) they seem to unlock in a reasonable and progressive manner; e.g. you don't need a giant metropolitan hospital for a farm town, etc. There is also an unlocker mod somewhere apparently for normal difficulty (expert mode unlocks it immediately at the expense of, I assume, being much more difficult)
  • apparently the transportation simulation is way better (I assume they mean in comparison to the Network Addon Mod in SC4D)
    • from what I can see in the manual, when you unlock the bus network, you have control of bus lines, where to place stops and their itineraries; you can also change the road characteristics --> so greater control over traffic flow in the game
  • resource trading between cities, with corporation(s); so obviously a bit more complex than simcity, where most of the trade was garbage, water and electricity; each city you build probably is more specialized in one way or another, such as food, industrial goods, also power/water/etc., so you probably can build more specialized or generalized cities depending on how you want to work your trade connections.
    • yes, even building materials are used, so you need to produce or trade for them
  • there is no multicore support because of the code the game is written on, but apparently the only real issue to fix it is to quit out and start it up again if the game starts to slow down. kinda lame. There seems to be a mod for multicore support, but it doesn't really allow you to use more than the one core, only really allowing you to put the load amongst the other cores instead.

I wish there was a demo to try, but it sounds pretty good otherwise (except the single core thing). I actually sorta like the addition of resources into city building and having a greater dealing with the population's needs (at least more transparent than simcity at times); I kinda enjoy that aspect in Grand Ages: Rome, but it's still (for all appearances) a city builder trying to be like SimCity, which I also enjoyed for the longest time.

10$ means I might bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom