• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going for it. I've been looking to get the game because I miss city-builders ala SC4, and this may scratch that itch. For $10, I'll take the chance.

Thanks for the impressions!

Sober

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm going for it. I've been looking to get the game because I miss city-builders ala SC4, and this may scratch that itch. For $10, I'll take the chance.

Thanks for the impressions!
word of warning, if you haven't bit already, but they were more assumptions/quick research than impressions :O

Sober said:
word of warning, if you haven't bit already, but they were more assumptions/quick research than impressions :O

Yea, I realize that. I'm willing to take the chance and check it out.

Thanks for your assumptions :D! lol

PaulLFC

Danne-Danger said:
Same reviewer though. :p

(He's a good reviewer!)

Ah, I didn't notice that! Just saw that the text was different and didn't check who the reviewers were. So I guess we should count that as one good impression so far for the game.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the trailer...is Cities XL a city builder where you can go down to the street level and see your cities alive in gorgeous visuals? Because that's what the trailer looks like. Which makes me want to bite for $10.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still really don't like the percent based review scores, it makes me think they have some sort of check list of things for a game to have, then add up all the marks.

Drkirby said:
I still really don't like the percent based review scores, it makes me think they have some sort of check list of things for a game to have, then add up all the marks.
Drawing from memory, I think HL1 has 96% and HL2 has 97% in swedish PC Gamer, so there's that score settled!

Sober

Drkirby said:
Metacritic and mainstream reviews for alot of city builders are pretty much useless; you have to actually go look around and see what actual enthusiasts of the genre are saying. A demo also immensely helps. Hell, a "75%" most of the time means "the game has no objectives or story" ... it's a damn city builder/sim, what were you expecting? At least in this case, a 75% score rings true of what a 75% means -- if you are a fan of the genre, it will be pretty good to great. Fuck the 7-10 scale.

An-Det

Cities XL is tempting for $10. I'll have to research it more when I get home, but I might bite.

Princess Skittles said:
This could possibly be the greatest image in all of video gaming history.

ss_95a23eaf328f24858a118de1a8b0f819ef85c0cc.600x338.jpg

This image was all it took for my roommate to preorder Dino D-Day. I dont care how bad it is, any game that has shit like this is worth my $5 during a steam sale just for the experience.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oh hey guys, Ubi's 'always on' DRM isn't that bad. No wait, it fucking sucks. I can't play my game right now because their servers are down or some bullshit. It's a shame too, since Forgotten Sands is the best game I've played so far in the PoP pack (I beat SoT, played WW about an hour and TT about 4 hours)

Archie said:
Oh hey guys, Ubi's 'always on' DRM isn't that bad. No wait, it fucking sucks. I can't play my game right now because their servers are down or some bullshit. It's a shame too, since Forgotten Sands is the best game I've played so far in the PoP pack (I beat SoT, played WW about an hour and TT about 4 hours)

Just crack it. Thought they had patched that out of all their games?

Sober

LocoMrPollock said:
I didn't have any problems, and I found a post where some guy did a plug pull mid game and it didn't give him that screen. Weird.

I thought using cracked exes on steam = disabled account?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Archie said:

ahahaha, the best part about this:

You took advantage of Steam's awesome, free, easy to use pro-consumer screenshot function to document Ubisoft's busted ass pain in the ass anti-consumer DRM.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sober said:
Metacritic and mainstream reviews for alot of city builders are pretty much useless; you have to actually go look around and see what actual enthusiasts of the genre are saying. A demo also immensely helps. Hell, a "75%" most of the time means "the game has no objectives or story" ... it's a damn city builder/sim, what were you expecting? At least in this case, a 75% score rings true of what a 75% means -- if you are a fan of the genre, it will be pretty good to great. Fuck the 7-10 scale.

Scores for me are generally only helpful for staying away from truly bad games. Generally if something has a metacritic in the 50s or low 60s, I'll probably avoid it. There are a lot of gems to be found in the 70s for sure though. PC games can be a lot more niche oriented than console games so a game that has a 70 might be the greatest game of all time for one person.

Vyer said:
Man, I can't get Bully to run for shit. D'loaded from gamersgate and installed, when I run it hangs on the very first loading screen. Found the 1.2 patch and tried to run it, both normally and as administrator, and it errors out with a failure to install. blah

GG games are usually patched to their latest versions, so I don't think that's your problem. Other than that, yeah, can't really help you. If it were me I'd start with the simplest things first, like fully reinstalling it, directX and C++.

Sober said:
I didn't have any problems, and I found a post where some guy did a plug pull mid game and it didn't give him that screen. Weird.

I thought using cracked exes on steam = disabled account?

Nah, they don't care. Not even sure if they bother to detect it.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
I thought it got changed to just one check each time you launched your game...which means you still can't play it if the servers are down.

Of course, that can still happen with Steam if offline mode doesn't work properly (I think I used to get the "this game is not available" message in offline mode for some games like Portal because I hadn't synced or something). It can probably even still happen in Steam if servers are just busy. It typically happens around releases (Portal 2), and I think someone was recently complaining about black ops.

Presumably Steam's servers are more reliable than most people's servers, but still, if they go down, you either can't play your game or it can become a crapshoot in a few cases (again, unless the offline mode works and everything is synced properly).

Also, in TF2's case, if a server loses connection to servers midgame, everyone can't use certain items (typically can't switch their items at all).

Salsa

shieeeet i want Hamilton's :(

damn you no moneys

does it say how much the 10 percent discount will last? cant open the client from work

Blizzard said:
I thought it got changed to just one check each time you launched your game...which means you still can't play it if the servers are down.

Of course, that can still happen with Steam if offline mode doesn't work properly (I think I used to get the "this game is not available" message in offline mode for some games like Portal because I hadn't synced or something). It can probably even still happen in Steam if servers are just busy. It typically happens around releases (Portal 2), and I think someone was recently complaining about black ops.

Presumably Steam's servers are more reliable than most people's servers, but still, if they go down, you either can't play your game or it can become a crapshoot in a few cases (again, unless the offline mode works and everything is synced properly).

Also, in TF2's case, if a server loses connection to servers midgame, everyone can't use certain items (typically can't switch their items at all).

3rd party DRM doesn't have anything to do with Steam's offline mode.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
3rd party DRM doesn't have anything to do with Steam's offline mode.
Not at all, sorry if I was confusing. I just meant that Steam's DRM can cause problems for Steam games even though (in my opinion) Steam's DRM is one of the best for consumers out there.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Princess Skittles said:
Explain?

I'm passing since it's a multi-player only game, but the concept is stupid/awesome enough to be interested in.
started out as a single player mod.

Binabik15

Yay, another game I can´t buy because I´m from Germany! Thanks, Steam, thanks, BPJS, thanks, worthless politicians!

Eine Zensur findet nicht statt
Außer jemand behauptet, eine Zensur fände doch statt

Blizzard said:
Not at all, sorry if I was confusing. I just meant that Steam's DRM can cause problems for Steam games even though (in my opinion) Steam's DRM is one of the best for consumers out there.

Oh yeah. Sorry, I didn't follow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For people waiting on Dragon Age Origins 1 to go on sale:

Amazon has a pretty sweet deal right now :

DA:O for 2,50$

You can use the code via the EA downloader for the PC version.

And since there are aaaaalways people who flame me to death for this, I'll be out of this thread for the next couple pages :) Cya later!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Stallion Free said:
Aesthetically gorgeous, charming, feels great on the 360 pad, and simple yet entertaining mechanics.
Sounds delicious.

Can you explain the mechanics any? The screenshots and video are a little vague. Is it similar to any other games that you know of?

OG_Original Gamer said:
Crysis 2 pc patch going live tomorrow, with advance graphics options and bug fixes along with some other features, steam update needs to be ready.
Good to know, just recently received my retail copy (couldn't say no at 16 €), better to hold out I guess.

mojiimbo

Toma said:

And since there are aaaaalways people who flame me to death for this, I'll be out of this thread for the next couple pages :) Cya later!
Thanks. Saw the deal earlier and was let down that it was the Mac version. If you have a problem with redeeming the code and the download not starting automatically just click the cog in the EADM app and select "refresh my games" to get it to show up in your library.

Dipswitch

Toma said:

Aaaaaaaand before anyone buys this, note that that price seems to be for the Mac version only. To those of you rocking an Apple box, God speed.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaand beaten.

Toma said:

You sure that works for the PC version? It says MAC on Amazon.

spicy cho

An-Det said:
Cities XL is tempting for $10. I'll have to research it more when I get home, but I might bite.

This image was all it took for my roommate to preorder Dino D-Day. I dont care how bad it is, any game that has shit like this is worth my $5 during a steam sale just for the experience.
It was false advertising though, because in the final game that dinosaur is like 1/5 of that size.

Dipswitch said:
Aaaaaaaand before anyone buys this, note that that price seems to be for the Mac version only. To those of you rocking an Apple box, God speed.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaand beaten.
LocoMrPollock said:
You sure that works for the PC version? It says MAC on Amazon.
Should read the link. I'm downloading the PC version.

cicero

Stallion Free said:
I like that people take the effort to point out that I'm a dick, but not a single person tries to help you figure your issue out.
Maybe because the one answer was a little more obvious than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom