• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumpokapow said:
Doing a little wishlist spring cleaning, and looking for recommendations on the following:

- I like but don't love Geometry Wars on 360. Is there any conceivable reason I should buy it on PC? Between Bullet Candy and Geometry Wars, which is the better game on PC?
- I never managed to play SiN Episodes: Emergence. I realize that it ends on a cliffhanger and it will never be followed up. With that in mind, is it worth my time?
- Is Professor FizzWizzle any good?
- If you are a fan of Bookworm Adventures vol. 1, does Bookworm Adventures vol. 2 add anything?
- How janky is Garshasp: The Monster Slayer?
- Did AlternativA end up being any good?
- If you are a fan of rough-around the edges ridiculous sim games, are either Destruction Company or Dive to the Titanic any good? (SmokyDave, I'm looking at you!)
- Dead Space 2; PC versus Console, I own both consoles.
- DarkSpore released and I don't think it even got a GAF thread. So, uh, is it shitty?

I actually enjoyed it. If you're a fan of Adventure games, Sci-fi and seemingly "Cyberpunk" themes, you may also enjoy it. It's your typical point-and-click adventure, but has an interesting setting.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
stump, there's a garshasp quick look on giant bomb.
i'd recommend geo wars galaxies on wii other than rebuying evolved on pc.

Dascu

Stumpokapow said:
Doing a little wishlist spring cleaning, and looking for recommendations on the following:

- I like but don't love Geometry Wars on 360. Is there any conceivable reason I should buy it on PC? Between Bullet Candy and Geometry Wars, which is the better game on PC?
- I never managed to play SiN Episodes: Emergence. I realize that it ends on a cliffhanger and it will never be followed up. With that in mind, is it worth my time?
- If you are a fan of Bookworm Adventures vol. 1, does Bookworm Adventures vol. 2 add anything?
- If you are a fan of rough-around the edges ridiculous sim games, are either Destruction Company or Dive to the Titanic any good? (SmokyDave, I'm looking at you!)
- DarkSpore released and I don't think it even got a GAF thread. So, uh, is it shitty?
- Very janky.
- I'm not sure why this is even a question? PC even has some free DLC suits, if you like that sort of thing.

Nabs said:
Ubi sells you a torrent and only gives you 30 days to re-download.
That is so fucked up. They make you use your bandwidth to help them download games to other people and they give you a short time limit? And I assume they'll charge you more if you want to download after that 30 days?

This is part of why Steam dominates. Look, digital download HUGELY benefits the publishers . . . no discs, no boxes, no shrink-wrap, no manuals, no shipping, no distribution costs, no retail cut. Their only cost is a cut to Steam. Steam shares the efficiency savings with the customer. Steam takes DRM, something the gamers normally hate, and make it work to the advantage of the gamer. (May re-download anytime, may download onto multiple PCs, may play on both Mac & PC, etc.)

Coen

Ah damn, I missed the Tom Clancy sale. Wanted to pick up the Splinter Cell collection. :( Guess I'll have to wait for Christmas now.

Stumpokapow said:

-Bullet Candy blows. Geometry Wars is OK but nothing special if you already played on 360. Ion Assault is one you may want to give a try. Swarm Arena has a demo.

-I loved Bookworm adventures and I've been waiting for Bookworm 2 to go on sale.

Stumpokapow said:

GeoWars on the PC seems to have some weird performance issues. Ran great on my dual core, runs slightly choppy on my quad. Strange. Also, entering your name for a high score is a real PITA. And you must enter something.

I would only recommend it if you can't play on the 360.

GeoWars 2 on the 360 shits all over it. I mean covered in feces.

Stumpokapow said:

There was one thread, I don't think it got beyond a page or two.

Darkspore's lone contribution to the dungeon crawler formula--its rock/paper/scissors gameplay that requires you to switch between three heroes on the fly mid-dungeon or constantly change up the heroes you use before you enter a new dungeon--is what helps make it an entirely forgettable dungeon crawler. I think you can unlock twenty five different heroes that are essentially walking bits of loot. You have limited customisation, the heroes are all pre-fabricated. You don't have full access to Spore's creature creator, you can merely alter superficial aspects of a hero's appearance; move odds and ends around, increase/decrease the size of limbs, change their coloring and affix gear you acquire dungeon crawling onto your hero as if it was a gi joe. The problem is since you're rolling through so many heroes, there's little incentive to spend any real time on one to fully customise it. Just slap on gear for the stat bonus. Initially you might spend a lot of time moving bits around, trying to make it look somewhat unique or cool, but eventually you just start slapping shit on.

There's no offline/single player mode. Everything is accessed via the lobby system, even if you're just playing by yourself, you have to be online at all times. It's essentially DRM, just like Ubisoft's recent pc releases.

Darkspore is a competent dungeon crawler, so if you're really jonesing for a loot game to play with some friends, it might not be a bad game to pick up on the cheap. But with Dungeon Siege 3, Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 on the horizon, it's kind of hard to recommend Darkspore.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
- I never managed to play SiN Episodes: Emergence. I realize that it ends on a cliffhanger
SiN Episodes. It was just another mediocre shooter. If you want to waste a few hours and a few bucks on something you'll play once and never return to. Go for it. Otherwise, there are much better titles to go after or to replay.

Darkspore had an open beta and I gave it a few hours. I enjoyed it and thought the ability to switch between 3 heroes was great. The game looked like it had a lot of content too, but it ended up feeling lifeless(Samey) and I lost interest. I think the best example I could give would be that it is a loot whore game, but it never felt like I was loot whoring.

Skip both.

Stallion Free said:
1080p, 60 fps, pad support felt good, all costume DLC for free.

No mini-expansion though :(

It was only about an hour long and sucked anyway. So i've heard.

All of the above makes the PC version much more compelling since the game is beautiful.

DarkSpore was actually pretty good. I mean, it functioned really well- it just didn't stand out in any way and was positively haunted by the Spore license. If you've already played Titan's Quest and Torchlight, and you still can't wait for Diablo 3, you could do a lot worse than DarkSpore.

So, I was going to pose the question to this thread, my budget allows for one new game purchase this month and that was either going to be Dirt 3 or Witcher 2. I went with Dirt 3, due to the fact that I haven't been excited to play a racing game since F-Zero on the snes. I'm hoping I made the right call on that one. I did pass up titties.

Xapati

LovingSteam said:
lol @ Impulse. God I cannot stand Brad Wardell. Douchebag in the truest sense of the word. He couldn't care less about gamers as evidence by selling Impulse to GS. There are a lot of assholes in the industry but this guy ranks at the top.

As much as I'm disappointed with Stardock and Brad, I don't think that you have to buy "insurance" or something like that on Impulse. I bought both Sins and Paint Shop Pro on Impulse and I just recently redownloaded PSP despite having bought it several years ago.

Zzoram

theinfinityissue said:
DarkSpore was actually pretty good. I mean, it functioned really well- it just didn't stand out in any way and was positively haunted by the Spore license. If you've already played Titan's Quest and Torchlight, and you still can't wait for Diablo 3, you could do a lot worse than DarkSpore.

So, I was going to pose the question to this thread, my budget allows for one new game purchase this month and that was either going to be Dirt 3 or Witcher 2. I went with Dirt 3, due to the fact that I haven't been excited to play a racing game since F-Zero on the snes. I'm hoping I made the right call on that one. I did pass up titties.

Pick up The Witcher 2 during the July summer sale.

epmode

Dead Space 2 is nearly perfect on PC. Runs well, looks great, etc.

But hay, it's EA and they're goddamned miserable so of course they never bothered to make a PC version of the single-player expansion DLC.

Xapati said:
As much as I'm disappointed with Stardock and Brad, I don't think that you have to buy "insurance" or something like that on Impulse. I bought both Sins and Paint Shop Pro on Impulse and I just recently redownloaded PSP despite having bought it several years ago.
Impulse is fine. They even have an odd collection of games that aren't on Steam.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Vyer said:
I guess you can't do the 'activate key' thing with Bully on Steam, eh? So just download direct from Gamersgate?

No activation, but if you get the game be sure to paste this fix into your Bully folder to boost the framerate to 60FPS instead of the default 30FPS.

Salsa

Magicka update, yey! keep fixing those bugs

no details yet though, and just 2.5mb apparently

edit: Just Cause 2 bought by the way

aaaaaaaand i keep buying games i already played through, fuck.

Time for a re-play i guess.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone getting loading screen crashes in Vegas 1? I've gotten 2 already and I haven't even made it to Vegas. The annoying part is that it doesn't save right at the loading so I have to redo a chunk again if I want to continue. Very annoying.

Mrbob

I got about halfway through Splinter Cell and I think I'm done with this game. Too much trial and error for my taste. Sometimes the smallest thing will alert guards and you can be in total darkness and your stealth meter will go up where you are viewable. I heard Chaos Theory is the best so I'm installing that one right now.

I downloaded Pinnacle to use with gamepad support for Splinter Cell and it worked great with my 360 controller. I think I'm going to buy the full version to play some legacy titles.

szaromir

Banned
Mrbob said:
I got about halfway through Splinter Cell and I think I'm done with this game. Too much trial and error for my taste.
I never finished SC1 (I have the PC version, but without the controller support found it unplayable), but finished SC2-4 on Xbox 1. I always felt that people who complain about trial and error don't patiently observe the patterns and then look for the best ways to sneak around them, they just want to jump into action and go past the guards without knowing their paths, where they look etc. I rarely had to repeat stuff in Splinter Cell games.
SC3 and 4 are soooo good.

Jin34

I got a question to people that have had problems buying stuff, did the problem just resolve itself the next time yo wanted to buy something? I don't have anything on the radar to purchase but you never know with the sales. I ask since steam customer support seems to be it's only weakness.

Nelo Ice

Banned
leng jai said:
God I love Steam. Bought Juse Cause 2 off Gamersgate for a fiver and just stuck the CD-key straight into Steam. Easy.

speaking of which just checked on cag and got just cause 2 for $4.24 from d2d with this promo code

A788A085A5E0EACBC88647067BD65EDA

Cday

Banned
I think there's good reason to be paranoid given that Valve will just shut down your account no questions asked. Anyways, good to know.

Grinchy

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
speaking of which just checked on cag and got just cause 2 for $4.24 from d2d with this promo code

A788A085A5E0EACBC88647067BD65EDA
Awesome, I'm totally checking this out right now. The site is going incredibly slow, however.

Loved the JC2 demo. $4 is just too cheap to pass up. *edit: $4.53 after tax. Awesome! And I also just put the activation code into Steam.

Rufus

@Cday
It's not like you're circumventing some sort of security measure or cheating them out of money. The bandwidth they lose through this they gain by drawing customers. If they didn't want people activating games on Steam, they wouldn't give out keys that can be activated this way...

Symphonic

Cday said:
I think there's good reason to be paranoid given that Valve will just shut down your account no questions asked. Anyways, good to know.

With this attitude, you could be paranoid about doing anything Steam related.

Am I stupid or what? How the fuck do you give order to your squad member in GRAW? I don't understand, I keep pressing the order button and everything, but my team mates only obey when they feel like it.

stuminus3

Cday said:
They want you to do it. Steamworks is a trojan horse for Steam itself.

Echoplx

RockmanWhore said:
Am I stupid or what? How the fuck do you give order to your squad member in GRAW? I don't understand, I keep pressing the order button and everything, but my team mates only obey when they feel like it.

Had the same problem, follow this guide to fix it.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder why my Witcher EE activation code didn't work. Bought it from Amazon, tried using the code in steam but it said it wasn't valid. The Witcher EE is sold on Steam, so I just assumed it was a Steam activated game.

Cday

Banned
stuminus3 said:
They want you to do it. Steamworks is a trojan horse for Steam itself.

I get that. When I originally asked the question I didn't know it was Steamworks. I suppose it makes sense that they would want to accept as many games as possible Steamworks or not considering a person might be put off of Steam because most of their games aren't tied to Steam. I buy most of my games from Steam so I didn't have that perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom