• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax.MX

MW2 is better than BOPS

Expect more of this game,I know it would not be the best, but at least better quality sooooo meh

The one I want is Terraria...i need money :(

1-D_FTW

I booted it up for the first time the other day on Windows 7 - 64 bit. Ran fine. But it's complete shit if you're using a wheel. I think I got it on sale for 2 dollars and am still slightly annoyed I didn't listen to the people who mentioned this. Wheel users should avoid at all costs.

desu

nyong said:
DIRT 1, eh? It also clearly states that it does not support Windows 7.

I can read ... but steam pages are often not correct with info.

1-D_FTW said:
I booted it up for the first time the other day on Windows 7 - 64 bit. Ran fine. But it's complete shit if you're using a wheel. I think I got it on sale for 2 dollars and am still slightly annoyed I didn't listen to the people who mentioned this. Wheel users should avoid at all costs.

Thanks!

Nabs

Relax.MX said:
MW2 is better than BOPS

Expect more of this game,I know it would not be the best, but at least better quality sooooo meh

The one I want is Terraria...i need money :(

mw2 multi is garbage compared to blops

Awesome, I wanted to buy Dirt 1 again, no idea where my old copy went.

Take note that the game is quite old now, 2007? it was the first dirt and one of codies first next gen racers so it has a lot of teething problems, but it's still a solid racer with more rally stages then dirt 2 and 3 combined.

My old disc copy ran on win7 without problems back when my current pc was new.

Baha said:
Oh sweet Dirt for $2.50, I'm totally gon---Notice: Does not support Windows 7---shit.
I have no idea why it says that it works for me, probably a safety precaution so they can't get blamed for it not working on some systems.

Might grab Dirt 1. Played through it and loved it on 360. Just need someone to confirm that it will work on Win 7.

Also, off-topic, but does anyone have any coupon codes for Direct2Drive?

Chuck

Still without luck
Nabs said:
mw2 multi is garbage compared to blops

fIGZ5.gif

Black Ops multiplayer is nearly a copy of Modern Warfare 2's.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ ugh get that shit out of our Steam thread

anyways, Dirt is tempting at that price but I'd rather wait for a Dirt 2 sale or even Dirt 3 in the summer sale

I just added a custom adblock in FireFox for that My Little Pony .gif. Please keep that shit out of the Steam thread. If you want to disagree with someone, type up an actual post, refute their point(s), please don't post My Little Pony .gifs.

mojiimbo

Played maybe halfway through Dirt 2 and found it to be really fun but I'm pretty sure I remember people saying they liked some of the races/mechanics of Dirt 1 better, aside from the Xtreme presentation that the sequel has. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Also, anyone here get it running in W7 64 bit? A quick search on the Steam forums yielded a workaround that involved a .DLL file but it was never conclusively proven to work. Thanks.

---

Telltale is selling Poker Night for $1.25 for their anniversary sale and they also give you a Steam unlock code after you buy it. AFAIK it's the only game that they offer that for, though.

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/pokernight

http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Chuck

Still without luck
Sorry about the ponies, won't happen again. =(

Is Hector episode 1 worth the $2.50? The Giant Bomb quick look made it look neat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
^ ugh get that shit out of our Steam thread

anyways, Dirt is tempting at that price but I'd rather wait for a Dirt 2 sale or even Dirt 3 in the summer sale

Seriously. When the hell will this highly disturbing pony fad end?

Shambles

Zefah said:
Seriously. When the hell will this highly disturbing pony fad end?

When people stop getting reactions out of it.

Looking at Dirt, it seems people are saying it works fine on Windows 7. I might jump on it, I don't have Dirt 2/3.

RyL

Banned
Baha said:
Oh sweet Dirt for $2.50, I'm totally gon---Notice: Does not support Windows 7---shit.

like already mentioned

no support doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work... it's just means it's not supported, if it says "not compatible" ... well that's a different story

just like it was the case with Medal of Honor Airborne, windows 7 was not supported but it still worked

the message is just there so that you can't blame the publisher/developer if it doesn't work because they can't guarantee it

most games released before Windows 7 have this message on the steam store page in the small print

have win7 64bit myself and it works without any problems at all

hamchan

Relax.MX said:
I disagree, I think it lacks personality(BOPS), and their improvement are based simply on extras that do not substantially affect the gameplay

BLOPs is way more balanced than MW2. Overall you just experience a lot less bullshit.

If developers and publishers want money in 2011 for their old games, they should make certain that those old games function on a machine from 2011. Or I should just stop buying anything other than new releases on Steam and make a GoG account.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
FOV slider.

Better maps as well. I hate almost every map in MW2. MW2 has so much unbalanced shit that it is almost unplayable. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of public play in MW2. Harrier and Pavlov spam gives me a headache, and sounds like I'm in a damn airport that's under attack 24/7.

hamchan

jaundicejuice said:
If developers and publishers want money in 2011 for their old games, they should make certain that those old games function on a machine from 2011. Or I should just stop buying anything other than new releases on Steam and make a GoG account.

Steam is generally the most expensive place to buy new releases.

Narag said:
You should anyhow. Great service and extremely complementary to steam.

I've been meaning to, the only real constraint is time. I would buy a metric fuckton of oldschool rpgs and by that I mean almost everything on this page. That's hundreds of hours of playtime and I already own more games than I have time to play with Steam. I am inching closer to making a GoG account though. I really want to play those oldshool Bioware games and see why people liked Bioware-Button-Awesome back in the day.

hamchan said:
Steam is generally the most expensive place to buy new releases.

Depends on where you live I guess. With the exchange rate the way it is, I'm generally paying less than 50$ a game, even less when I pre-order for 10% off and almost every game that I've pre-ordered in the last few months has come with some sort of a bonus, usually a free game or two, or three in Red Faction: Armageddon's case. I think I paid roughly 40$ and got Red Faction, Red Faction 2, Red Faction Guerrilla and Red Faction Armageddon through Steam. I know Direct 2 Drive can have lower prices for new releases, but they don't have bundles quite like that, at least not that I'm aware of.

I took a chance on Dirt even though it says Windows 7 isn't supported... I tried the xml fix, didn't work, tried exiting fraps, that didn't work at first, then I tried launching from within steam and that somehow worked... so I got into the game, I was able to create a profile, then I tried increasing the graphic settings, which forced the game to re-launch, but for some reason it only increased the resolution to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 like I asked. Then I tried increasing the resolution again and this time I manually changed the aspect ratio to 1.6, but after that the game doesn't boot at all. So I guess the moral of the story is, don't bother trying to get Dirt to work. I don't suppose there's any chance that Steam would give me a refund, is there?

Chuck

Still without luck
Archie said:
20something males getting excited about a cartoon aimed at little girls and you don't see what's disturbing about it?

Somebody post an anime that meets this description, please. I know there has to be one.

Htown said:
I don't get what's disturbing about it.

I agree!

*looks at avatar*

Umm... I think I might just take that one back.

To other dudes:

Can we stop justifying entertainment which we enjoy in this thread? There's a dedicated thread in community if you're offended by people liking stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom