• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

gregor7777 said:
How does Dirt look graphically, compared to say Burnout Paradise?

http://www.codemasters.com/downloads/details.php?id=28472

There's a PC demo that's available. If you're expecting Dirt 2 level graphics, don't. It's a significant step downward.

nincompoop said:
I took a chance on Dirt even though it says Windows 7 isn't supported... I tried the xml fix, didn't work, tried exiting fraps, that didn't work at first, then I tried launching from within steam and that somehow worked... so I got into the game, I was able to create a profile, then I tried increasing the graphic settings, which forced the game to re-launch, but for some reason it only increased the resolution to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 like I asked. Then I tried increasing the resolution again and this time I manually changed the aspect ratio to 1.6, but after that the game doesn't boot at all. So I guess the moral of the story is, don't bother trying to get Dirt to work. I don't suppose there's any chance that Steam would give me a refund, is there?

Have you tried going into the config file and setting things manually?

Now that you mention this things, I forgot about that. I had to boot about 3 times to finally get the resolution changed. Was about to manually set things in config, but the 3rd time magically took.

Joe Molotov

mojiimbo said:
Played maybe halfway through Dirt 2 and found it to be really fun but I'm pretty sure I remember people saying they liked some of the races/mechanics of Dirt 1 better, aside from the Xtreme presentation that the sequel has. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Also, anyone here get it running in W7 64 bit? A quick search on the Steam forums yielded a workaround that involved a .DLL file but it was never conclusively proven to work. Thanks.

---

Telltale is selling Poker Night for $1.25 for their anniversary sale and they also give you a Steam unlock code after you buy it. AFAIK it's the only game that they offer that for, though.

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/pokernight

http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

I was all pumped to order Sam & Max Surfing the Highway, but then I saw that cheapest shipping was $11.50, wtf? Too bad they couldn't offer 75% off shipping.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got Dirt 1 to work with the xml trick.

Edit: nevermind, the piece of shit crashes at the race. Also, it hates any sort of overlay. This sucks because it had such sweet hillclimbs.

coopolon

nincompoop said:
I took a chance on Dirt even though it says Windows 7 isn't supported... I tried the xml fix, didn't work, tried exiting fraps, that didn't work at first, then I tried launching from within steam and that somehow worked... so I got into the game, I was able to create a profile, then I tried increasing the graphic settings, which forced the game to re-launch, but for some reason it only increased the resolution to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 like I asked. Then I tried increasing the resolution again and this time I manually changed the aspect ratio to 1.6, but after that the game doesn't boot at all. So I guess the moral of the story is, don't bother trying to get Dirt to work. I don't suppose there's any chance that Steam would give me a refund, is there?

Probably not, since it is pretty clear about Windows 7 not being supported. Then again the worst thing they can do is say no so what's the harm in asking?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is the Settlers 7 Gold Edition different from the Deluxe Gold Edition? Because somehow I can't find the store page of the former which I bought when it was on sale.

Dante23

Ookami-kun said:
Is the Settlers 7 Gold Edition different from the Deluxe Gold Edition? Because somehow I can't find the store page of the former which I bought when it was on sale.

I'm pretty sure it is, because only the Gold edition has the soundtrack included. Sadly I have Deluxe Gold so no soundtrack for me.

Buttonbasher said:
Is Dirt 1 really 10 gigs installed?

Buh... I should just get a new hard drive.
dirt 2 and 3 are bigger :p seems to be a codemasters thing of having large file sizes (but not as large as 20+ gigs.)

I only had a 250GB but after 2 years bought a 500GB for cheap on amazon for a 2nd drive, so glad that I did as I can now install all my pc games.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mojiimbo said:
Played maybe halfway through Dirt 2 and found it to be really fun but I'm pretty sure I remember people saying they liked some of the races/mechanics of Dirt 1 better, aside from the Xtreme presentation that the sequel has. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Also, anyone here get it running in W7 64 bit? A quick search on the Steam forums yielded a workaround that involved a .DLL file but it was never conclusively proven to work. Thanks.

---

Telltale is selling Poker Night for $1.25 for their anniversary sale and they also give you a Steam unlock code after you buy it. AFAIK it's the only game that they offer that for, though.

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/pokernight

Ah, so the CD Key you get on purchase is their own, but they also give you a Steam CD Key too at the TF2 unlock link, I like it.

Can't go wrong for less than a £1 :D

Joe Molotov

Ookami-kun said:

The Gold Edition just came with a few bonus items.

- An Exclusive Map
- Castle forge elements allowing players to make their cities unique and customize their castles: 1 gate, 2 windows, 1 bay, 1 balcony and 1 gargoyle
- The complete soundtrack of the game.

The Gold Deluxe Edition has that plus all the DLC that's been released. The regular edition and the Gold Edition are no longer available on Steam now, they've only sold the Gold Deluxe Edition since March. You can still buy the DLC for the old versions though. The Complete DLC Pack is $20.

Diablohead said:
dirt 2 and 3 are bigger :p seems to be a codemasters thing of having large file sizes (but not as large as 20+ gigs.)

I only had a 250GB but after 2 years bought a 500GB for cheap on amazon, so glad that I did as I can now install all my pc games.
Yeah I'm at 250GB now. I'll just grab a 2TB one when I get paid.

I just wish the Steam Store pages better reflected this. It says Dirt 1 needs 4.5gigs.

Boss Doggie

Joe Molotov said:
The Gold Edition just came with a few bonus items.

The Gold Deluxe Edition has that plus all the DLC that's been released. The regular edition and the Gold Edition are no longer available on Steam now, they've only sold the Gold Deluxe Edition since March. You can still buy the DLC for the old versions though. The Complete DLC Pack is $20.

But at the same time, the one I bought during the sale has all the DLC too (I even recall them stating that)! I just checked that I have all the maps even as well as the features like the forge. Weird XD

Whenever I check this game's store page I end up in the Deluxe Gold.

EDIT: Ahh, as it turns out, the Deluxe Gold edition is found as a DLC when I check the downloadable content tab of Settlers 7 Gold.

RyL

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I got Dirt 1 to work with the xml trick.

Edit: nevermind, the piece of shit crashes at the race. Also, it hates any sort of overlay. This sucks because it had such sweet hillclimbs.

just set compatibility to XP/Vista and deactivate aero

// if you have the black screen issue, deactivate fraps

Boss Doggie

Joe Molotov said:
You mean the Ubisoft Week sale? That was the Gold Deluxe Edition.

Yeah, I just realized that the Gold Deluxe label is found in the DLC tab rather than being the name of the game version itself.

Cipherr

mojiimbo said:
Yeah, I did it earlier today.

I did it, but I didnt get any of the TF2 items though. I used the page and registered with the code they gave me on steam and logged into TF2 but didnt get the items.

OTOH its a pretty fun game for a buck or two, so its not all bad.

Joe Molotov

Cipherr said:
I did it, but I didnt get any of the TF2 items though. I used the page and registered with the code they gave me on steam and logged into TF2 but didnt get the items.

OTOH its a pretty fun game for a buck or two, so its not all bad.

You have to actually play it to get the items. Occasionally, one of the other players will offer up their items instead of money, and if you win the hand, you unlock the item in TF2.

mojiimbo

LastWindow said:
So all of those items will be given to me or do they need to be unlocked? And if so, how are they unlocked?
You have to play the game and get the characters to put their respective items on the table. I forget if it's random or if they do it whenever they run out of money.

Oh cool, Dirt randomly decided to start working again for no reason. Kind of makes me feel bad about the email I sent to Codemasters' support team asking for my $2.50 back, lol.

Diablohead said:
It's had about 2 or 3 super low priced sales, sure it will happen again this summer.

These 1 day sales seem to be lower tier stuff on steam or older games.
It seems like stuff that doesn't always go on sale either, which is cool.

kamspy

I had DiRT in my cart last night for $9.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daily sales for the mother fucking win!

BRING ON THE HILL CLIMBS MOTHER FUCKERS

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I miss be missing something here. How did you guys tie Poker Night to your Steam accounts? Serial number didn't work, nothing in-game seems to suggest I can link it to Steam.

I want my TF2 items, yo.

Carm

I have a question for anyone that owns Dawn of War 2+Chaos Rising on Steam. Does GFWL ask for the CD key of both games? I had a major issue with GFWL earlier today because of Bioshock 2, so I had to delete my profile. So now all my GFWL games are asking for their cd keys. When I got the DW2+CR, it asked me for a key, so I put in DW2 vanilla, Then I restarted the game with the Chaos Rising listing, and it didn't ask me for that key. Is that normal?

Also, after exiting a GFWL game does the client stick around in your sys tray for about 10-15 seconds, with the circle icon on the cursor popping up, then the client shuts down? I don't remember it doing that before today, and I already reinstalled GFWL today to try to correct that, and other issues.

How do you get the Steam Code for Poker Night?

I ordered it as a gift and got a gift code but that didn't work.
I Redeemed the gift code and got a serial number but that serial number didn't work in Steam.

:-(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Carm said:
I have a question for anyone that owns Dawn of War 2+Chaos Rising on Steam. Does GFWL ask for the CD key of both games? I had a major issue with GFWL earlier today because of Bioshock 2, so I had to delete my profile. So now all my GFWL games are asking for their cd keys. When I got the DW2+CR, it asked me for a key, so I put in DW2 vanilla, Then I restarted the game with the Chaos Rising listing, and it didn't ask me for that key. Is that normal?

Also, after exiting a GFWL game does the client stick around in your sys tray for about 10-15 seconds, with the circle icon on the cursor popping up, then the client shuts down? I don't remember it doing that before today, and I already reinstalled GFWL today to try to correct that, and other issues.
Yes, because CR was added to vanilla as one huge patch.

speculawyer said:
How do you get the Steam Code for Poker Night?

I ordered it as a gift and got a gift code but that didn't work.
I Redeemed the gift code and got a serial number but that serial number didn't work in Steam.

:-(

After I bought it, I went here and the steam key showed up.

You might have to create a new account or purchase it on your own. Don't think you can gift it.

Joe Molotov

Well, I sold my Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect today. My wealth and respect can now be brought into question. :(

But on the bright side, I sold it for nearly $300 so now I gots me some more game buyin' money!

Joe Molotov said:
Well, I sold my Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect today. My wealth and respect can now be brought into question. :(

But on the bright side, I sold it for nearly $300 so now I gots me some more game buyin' money!
Holy crap. Where did you sell it? I can get nearly $300 for that hat?

Joe Molotov said:

OMG LOL HAAHAHAHA. Well at least the profits will go to a good cause... I assume you're writing the check made out to Steam as we speak? lol.

Joe Molotov said:

Where do you find people who are interested in buying your items?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Joe Molotov said:

That's about a 100 less than what I spent on gaming last year.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I finally upgraded my dusty 4650 to a somewhat capable 5770 :D I think I've just enabled myself further in the Steam habit.

Got my eye on Witcher 2, wonder what other good adventurey type games to try my new card on...

Sanic

Joe Molotov said:

I love using TF2 to fuel my purchase of more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom