• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Black Ops free weekend...

First off playing a hardcore server. It was nice. Nothing hectic, people die when shoot them, no overkill of markers everywhere and people running around everywhere, some actual sense of flow in how things move.. I was actually starting to enjoy myself.

Then I played regular. Such random bullshit. And noticable lag or readjustment on a recent PC and the Quake 3 engine? Untolerable.

Not that this really surprises me, but I have no idea why people consider this playable. Or spent money on it.

hamchan

Zeitgeister said:
So, Black Ops free weekend...

First off playing a hardcore server. It was nice. Nothing hectic, people die when shoot them, no overkill of markers everywhere and people running around everywhere, some actual sense of flow in how things move.. I was actually starting to enjoy myself.

Then I played regular. Such random bullshit. And noticable lag or readjustment on a recent PC and the Quake 3 engine? Untolerable.

Not that this really surprises me, but I have no idea why people consider this playable. Or spent money on it.

Then just play hardcore mode. Honestly, like 50% of servers are hardcore mode. You can avoid regular entirely.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
mattiewheels said:
I finally upgraded my dusty 4650 to a somewhat capable 5770 :D I think I've just enabled myself further in the Steam habit.

Got my eye on Witcher 2, wonder what other good adventurey type games to try my new card on...

I think my illness must be worse than yours because I also have a 5770 and I'm already wanting a 2nd one for Crossfire :\

I think we can only get something like 25-35 FPS for Witcher 2 on high settings...

You should be able to destroy anything from 2010 and before though!

hamchan said:
Then just play hardcore mode. Honestly, like 50% of servers are hardcore mode. You can avoid regular entirely.

starting to sort of enjoy myself is not quite the same as liking something from the start.

I had more fun with the Crysis 2 MP demo. I also find the lack of responsiveness in CoD to be really jarring. Even though it's much less on PC, you are still going to see people jump or suddenly being there. (even though your ping seems fine in the fifties range)
Meh.

Joe Molotov

speculawyer said:
Holy crap. Where did you sell it? I can get nearly $300 for that hat?

One of my friends was really big into the hat scene for a while, and he directed me to the Unusual Hat Club. Took me less than a day to find a buyer and seal the deal.

SourceOP is apparently also a bigtime buy/sell/trading location for hats.

vertopci

Zeitgeister said:
starting to sort of enjoy myself is not quite the same as liking something from the start.

I had more fun with the Crysis 2 MP demo. I also find the lack of responsiveness in CoD to be really jarring. Even though it's much less on PC, you are still going to see people jump or suddenly being there. (even though your ping seems fine in the fifties range)
Meh.

Welcome to playing on dedicated servers from crappy GSPs

Carm

K.Jack said:
Yes, because CR was added to vanilla as one huge patch.

Thanks, it has been an annoying 3-4 days with multiple game problems and one horrific 120+ game steam reinstall lol.

Salsa

shit man

i need to get into this hat selling thing

i have plenty of vintage items and the likes

where can i sell them?

Salsa

"hey so what can we play today dudes"

"dunno.. Vegas 1 was kinda boring, hey we all own Episodes from liberty city, we never tried that in multiplayer"

"oh yeah that could be fun"

icOAkC.PNG

i7iDG.PNG

i3ufw.PNG

i2Oh0.PNG

icOce8.PNG

icOz5Y.PNG

i78nq.PNG

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
Hardcore mode is waaaaay better than the regular mode.

Get shot in toe. Die from a heart attack.

The dedicated servers aren't that great. Could be way better. I noticed some severe interpolation in my game last night with stallion.

TheExodu5

Banned
The netcode shouldn't be much different than CS, I would assume. That probably means that the quality of the connection is highly dependent on the server framerate/tickrate, and possibly the client framerate as well.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
The netcode shouldn't be much different than CS, I would assume. That probably means that the quality of the connection is highly dependent on the server framerate/tickrate, and possibly the client framerate as well.

Yes it is similar. Q3 netcode was always superior though, and both treat interpolation the same. Since the BLOPS servers are all the same quality, and barely anyone sets their rates, it can become rough sometimes.

Up until now I've been kind of ambivalent about Red Faction: Guerrilla, it's not that I didn't like the game it's just that outside of that one rampage I went on in Dust in a military mech none of its open world design had really grabbed me. It was probably a good thing I stopped playing Guerrilla, almost two months ago, where I did.

I just re-played and beat the first Red Faction. Then I go back to playing Guerrilla and get the Ultor Echoes mission (which is a pun on Alter Echo, obscure reference) in Dust to follow a Marauder vehicle into the Badlands. Mason walks into a structure that he's told is the old, abandoned Ultor mining facility. When I walk a little further in and see the spiral staircase I'm supposed to go up I realise it's the room Parker and Eos fight Capek in. You can see the ruins of the platform Capek descended into the room on. You enter the ruins through the door Eos blasted her way in. You retrace Parker's steps as you go deeper into the ruins. Then you somehow start hearing Capek's voice, taunting Parker just before the battle confirming it all. Neat reference, one I wouldn't have remembered if not for replaying the first RF, which I originally completed nearly a decade ago as a PS2 launch title (eep!).

So I guess the Marauders are descendents of Capeks experiments with nanotechnology on the original miners. That's a neat hook.

Seagoon

Could someone in the US please gift me Duke Nukem Forever - I can paypal straight away and will obviously cover any fees.

It costs $72USD in New Zealand for some strange reason...

Salsa

Seagoon said:
Could someone in the US please gift me Duke Nukem Forever - I can paypal straight away and will obviously cover any fees.

It costs $72USD in New Zealand for some strange reason...

i can gift it if you pay me beforehand since i dont have any money left on PP

pm sent

SalsaShark said:
"hey so what can we play today dudes"

"dunno.. Vegas 1 was kinda boring, hey we all own Episodes from liberty city, we never tried that in multiplayer"

"oh yeah that could be fun"

i78nq.PNG
GTA 4 multiplayer is so painfully underrated.

Shitty lag, but still.

mbmonk

Just had to post that I am loving Red Faction Guerilla for $5. I am playing it on casual and really liking it. I think it plays better with M+K than controller, but both control options are very good.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
plc268 said:
First person to quote this message will get a link to redeem a gift copy of World of Goo on steam.

I already have it, but I wanted to be first anyway.

plc268

LocoMrPollock said:
Some people got it for a penny, with 4 other games included.

I had a copy left over when I bought a 12-pack back in the Black Friday Sale. Can't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't much.

So it appears that Numen: Contest of Heroes is on sale for $2.50. (75% off)

Any comments? Worth that price just to dick around? There's a demo but if the game's terrible I won't bother.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
So it appears that Numen: Contest of Heroes is on sale for $2.50. (75% off)

Any comments? Worth that price just to dick around? There's a demo but if the game's terrible I won't bother.

It's like a single player mmo. I think I got it for $2 and messed around with it for a couple hours and never even made it out of the prologue. Production wise, it's not bad either. It's just not very compelling, unless you are really in the mood for something low key and mellow.

I don't know, I might go back to it sometime to see if it picks up.

LocoMrPollock said:
I think I got it for $2 and messed around with it for a couple hours and never even made it out of the prologue.

Just tried out the demo. Wow. I was bored to tears within minutes. It takes far too many hits to kill anything. You just sit there watching them wail away on each other for a while until someone dies. Seemed to be no real story or anything either. Money saved.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LastWindow said:
I keep hoping I'll see Alpha Protocol or Dead Rising 2 on the daily deal.

Both games are excellent, I snatched them up for cheap during the X-mas sale. Hopefully they'll both be $7.50 again or less this summer.

I've already played them on the 360 and really enjoyed them. I still have Dead Rising 2 but want it on PC because I'm wanting to phase out that system completely.

Salsa

man i kinda want to keep playing cod blops, at least for a bit longer. It can get fun with friends and i started having fun on some low-ping brazilian servers.

but 40 fucking bucks

oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom