• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a casualty of the way Steam does updates. Instead of downloading a diff and running a patch, it just redownloads every file that's different. For games that pack up their files into bigass chunks, it means you redownload the entire bigass chunk.

Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.
Ok what the hell is going with this Magic game?!? I thought it was a standalone title!

Joe Molotov said:
Magic the Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 isThe following two TF2 hats are up. $9.99 for both:

banner.jpg

You get a free fantasy card game too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/49470/

Fixed.

markot

Banned
Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.

I get that error too >_<

Joe Molotov

MacGurcules said:
It's a casualty of the way Steam does updates. Instead of downloading a diff and running a patch, it just redownloads every file that's different. For games that pack up their files into bigass chunks, it means you redownload the entire bigass chunk.

I realize that, but I have a lot of games, and most of them don't require 9GB downloads every time they update. I just downloaded a Hot Pursuit update and it was 17.5 MB.

markot

Banned
Fable 3 is above The Witcher 2 on Steam.....

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Joe Molotov said:
I'm getting the "This requires ownership blah blah blah" error when trying to buy MtG 2012 as well.

Should be fixed soon hopefully.

Joe Molotov

People on Steam forums are saying you can buy it as a gift and gift it to yourself via email to get the TF2 items but the game still doesn't show up in your library. I....think I'll wait.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:
Fable 3 is above The Witcher 2 on Steam.....

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hopefully, that just means that people are buying The Witcher 2 from GOG like they should be.

Volcynika

I know I probably will either get negative or no response, but anyone else pick up Red Faction: Armageddon off Steam?

Decrypted and played a bit last night. 360 controller works fine, gives prompts and everything. No issues so far, only played an hour-ish though.

Joe Molotov said:
People on Steam forums are saying you can buy it as a gift and gift it to yourself via email to get the TF2 items but the game still doesn't show up in your library. I....think I'll wait.
I can confirm this. I tried checking my gifts and says redeemed, but the game still doesn't show.

I pre-ordered Armageddon but haven't had a chance to play it, didn't know it decrypted last night. I'll post some impressions once I get around to playing it, but it's E3, that may take a while.

Also downloading that Dungeon Siege demo. I'm rooting for you Obsidian.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sober said:
Never actually played DOTP but from what I heard it's a tad simpler than actual MTG (or at least they don't use cards with a paragraph of rules text on them). I was thinking maybe getting this since I don't play MTG with people that often anymore to even justify buying cards. Would 2012 be worth it?
At $10 it's so worth it. I was intimidated by the tabletop version but DotP is easier to pick up than most poker games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sober said:
Never actually played DOTP but from what I heard it's a tad simpler than actual MTG (or at least they don't use cards with a paragraph of rules text on them). I was thinking maybe getting this since I don't play MTG with people that often anymore to even justify buying cards. Would 2012 be worth it?

They most definitely do use cards with paragraphs of rules on them. It's simpler, and fun, and worth getting, but there's a challenge mode (challenge as in puzzle, not challenge as in difficulty settings) you can play, where you and your opponent are in the middle of a match, everything is purposively picked so there's only one solution to allow you to win. This uses the same cards in the game, and to a new player, you'll have to read every single card of the 20+ on the screen/in your hand. Expect to be reading for a couple minutes, and that is true of each of the 20 or so challenges in the game.

Salsa

why though? isnt the multiplayer pretty much the same? some people even prefer it :/ and the community is still pretty much alive right?

vocab

SalsaShark said:
why though? isnt the multiplayer pretty much the same? some people even prefer it :/ and the community is still pretty much alive right?

Worse maps
Peer 2 Peer netcode
Guns are meh.
Commando Perk aka YO DAWG IM PLAYING HALO IN MY CALL OF DUTY.
Unbalanced Killstreaks compared to BLOPS/COD4. Killstreaks that pretty much play the game for you. You constantly have loud noises playing over and over.

Only Pro of MW2 is a much stable engine compared to BLOPS.

COD 1 > COD 2 > COD 4 > BLOPS > WAW > MW2

Nabs

SalsaShark said:

Multiplayer isn't the same. Blops fixed maps, killstreaks, and latency. Oh, and they added an fov slider. IWNet makes it tough to find games, and when I do find games, they are usually well over 150ms.

XeroSauce

SalsaShark said:
I kinda had fun with Black Ops, but it was way too expensive

should i get Modern Warfare 2 then?

Get CoD4. This goes for anyone in this thread, don't waste your money on the shit pile that is MW2.

RealMeat

Banned
COD4 had a lot of mods, didn't it? I wonder if there's anyone still playing that Star Wars one. Might be worth double dipping for that.

Sanic

I loved the over the top, unbalanced nature of Modern Warfare 2. Just don't take it seriously and there's fun to be had.

desu

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Still $5 too high for me to double-dip on COD4.

Same here, way too much.

If MW2 wasnt so shitty I would consider getting the packs. Wish the other COD games would have been on sale as well.

PaulLFC

Toby said:
MW2 released in 2009, and they want me to pay $20 for it?
Fuck that. Should be $10 at most.

They want £15 for MW2 over here. For reference, most brand new PC games can be found for under £20 a week or so after release, sometimes even before release.

Salsa

Toby said:
MW2 released in 2009, and they want me to pay $20 for it?
Fuck that. Should be $10 at most.

this is Activision

the games will sell at that price, so why go lower?

Its the way they use Steam, you should know by now

What is Shadowgrounds like... Alien Swarm-esque?

Anyone willing to trade me something for Trine since I already have the game if I were to buy the pack?

stuminus3 said:
A little bit. They're sort of Doom 3-esque but with more action and played from an overhead view. I like them.

Thanks that sounds good to me, where does it "store" my extra copy of Trine, I've never had this "problem" before.

Let me know if anybody has something cool to trade for it :p

edit: "† Note: You already own the following items in "Frozenbyte Collection". You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:
Trine"

damn, o well no sale.

scorpscarx said:
Thanks that sounds good to me, where does it "store" my extra copy of Trine, I've never had this "problem" before.

Let me know if anybody has something cool to trade for it :p

You probably won't get an extra copy, unless it specifically states that you will. And no one is gonna trade you anything for $1.50 game anyway, except maybe Fortix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom