• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have been having lots of problems with steam today, on both my desktop and laptop. Finally got it to work on my desktop, now it keeps crashing on my laptop.

Heysoos

Drkirby said:
I have been having lots of problems with steam today, on both my desktop and laptop. Finally got it to work on my desktop, now it keeps crashing on my laptop.

Got it working now too, but when I try to launch Red Faction it just says failed to contact key server. :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
GTA 4 multiplayer is so painfully underrated.

Shitty lag, but still.
Long ago me and a housemate had vice city and tried out the at the time beta multiplayer some mod team threw together, it was a great laugh playing the game in co-op.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
So, can Steam record videos of my gameplay? I see "my videos" in my profile. If so, how do I do this?
Nope, at the moment it just links to a Youtube account and you can list videos you've uploaded there in Steam.

PaulLFC

OK, a (very) pedantic question - is there a way to make non-Steam games integrate better in the game list, save buying them through Steam? i.e. be listed in alphabetical order with Steam games instead of alpabetical order below all Steam-owned games, and have "Shortcut" replaced by "Ready to play"?

I know it's really picky, and the entire point of the difference is because the games weren't bought through Steam, but something about them being listed differently annoys me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PaulLFC said:
OK, a (very) pedantic question - is there a way to make non-Steam games integrate better in the game list, save buying them through Steam? i.e. be listed in alphabetical order with Steam games instead of alpabetical order below all Steam-owned games, and have "Shortcut" replaced by "Ready to play"?

I know it's really picky, and the entire point of the difference is because the games weren't bought through Steam, but something about them being listed differently annoys me.
It is going to say shortcut no matter what, but you can change the category it is in, and rename it to anything you want. Use "Set Catagory" to change the category, and in Properties to change the name.

cicero

jaundicejuice said:
I've been meaning to, the only real constraint is time. I would buy a metric fuckton of oldschool rpgs and by that I mean almost everything on this page. That's hundreds of hours of playtime and I already own more games than I have time to play with Steam. I am inching closer to making a GoG account though. I really want to play those oldshool Bioware games and see why people liked Bioware-Button-Awesome back in the day.
I still have no idea why you just don't at least create an account though. It takes all of 2-3 minutes and then you can set it up if you want to at least get email updates about sales. Who wants to wait six months for a deal or have to pay full price for something you could have gotten at a cheaper sale price had you signed up now? Plus, are all of those unplayed Steam games up to the high standards of many of those fantastic GoG classics?

I find it to be a fantastic complimentary service to Steam. Almost all of my 55+ GoG games I bought on sale, I only regret maybe 3-4 purchases, the rest have been brilliant. It is worth it now, especially if you plan on signing up later on anyway.

Hope you don't mind my overly enthusiastic comments, it has just turned out to be a wonderful service and experience for me as a gamer, despite that really disappointing "we're shutting down" PR mistake. Just bought Ultima Underworld 1+2 and Dungeon Keeper at release, well worth the non-sale price, I will do the same with the upcoming EA releases Crusader: No Remorse, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Magic Carpet! Can't wait to get into Dungeon Keeper tonight.

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:
man i kinda want to keep playing cod blops, at least for a bit longer. It can get fun with friends and i started having fun on some low-ping brazilian servers.

but 40 fucking bucks

oh well

You are without job, right? what you really need is cancel your paypal account...

Just my advice, wait for summer sales, CoD (and/or activision) not worth it

cicero said:
I still have no idea why you just don't at least create an account though. It takes all of 2-3 minutes and then you can set it up if you want to at least get email updates about sales. Who wants to wait six months for a deal or have to pay full price for something you could have gotten at a cheaper sale price had you signed up now? Plus, are all of those unplayed Steam games up to the high standards of many of those fantastic GoG classics?

I find it to be a fantastic complimentary service to Steam. Almost all of my 55+ GoG games I bought on sale, I only regret maybe 3-4 purchases, the rest have been brilliant. It is worth it now, especially if you plan on signing up later on anyway.

Hope you don't mind my overly enthusiastic comments, it has just turned out to be a wonderful service and experience for me as a gamer, despite that really disappointing "we're shutting down" PR mistake. Just bought Ultima Underworld 1+2 and Dungeon Keeper at release, well worth the non-sale price, I will do the same with the upcoming EA releases Crusader: No Remorse, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Magic Carpet! Can't wait to get into Dungeon Keeper tonight.

You really don't have to evangelise the finer points of GoG as a service or its catalogue of software, believe me. The more older titles I purchase or acquire as pre-order bonuses on Steam, the more annoyed I am at the shameful state of most of the older software available on the service. Every issue I have to troubleshoot, every hassle I encounter, every community fix I have to try to simply get a game to run sells me on the merits of GoG more than anything else ever could. For 1$ more on GoG I could have purchased a functioning copy of Arx Fatalis, instead of the busted piece of shit I got through Steam. I had to track down and apply an open-source/fan-made patch to get my Steam purchased copy to run.

Valve, publishers and developers can't be arsed to ensure a basic level of functionality on modern machines for the software they sell on Steam, they have no problem taking my money though. GoG gets older games running on modern machines and sells them for a pittance. GoG has a shitton of classics that aren't available anywhere, a large number of which I haven't played. The only reason I haven't made an account is, the moment I do so, I'll start buying games. A lot of them. A frightening amount really.

"Ooo, look at that, Planescape: Torment just fell into my cart"

Annnnnnnnnnnd I just made an account on GoG. Damn it.

cicero

jaundicejuice said:
Annnnnnnnnnnd I just made an account on GoG. Damn it.
wMefW.gif

So it begins..

TheExodu5

Banned
I posted this in the Duke thread, but I figured it could be helpful here...there are quite a few Steamworks games on D2D and this can be used for any of them. Great way to pre-order Steamworks games on the cheap.

For prospective PC buyers:

Keep in mind you can order off D2D with a friend referral code for an additional 15% off, bringing the price down to around $37.

Either have a friend send you a referral code, or feel free to use mine:

3E047D1758A37E0C94574378811BD940

Use it on checkout. Sinc the game is Steamworks, it will be activatable on Steam.

Disclaimer: this is my personal referral link. This code gives you 15% off your purchase, and supposedly gives me a coupon at the end of the month for 20% off. I really couldn't care less about the additional 5% off, so feel free to send yourself a referral link or get your friends to send one to you. I'm just posting it here for convenience.

You can do this for any D2D game, btw.

TheExodu5 said:
I posted this in the Duke thread, but I figured it could be helpful here...there are quite a few Steamworks games on D2D and this can be used for any of them. Great way to pre-order Steamworks games on the cheap.

For prospective PC buyers:

Keep in mind you can order off D2D with a friend referral code for an additional 15% off, bringing the price down to around $37.

Either have a friend send you a referral code, or feel free to use mine:

3E047D1758A37E0C94574378811BD940

Use it on checkout. Sinc the game is Steamworks, it will be activatable on Steam.

Disclaimer: this is my personal referral link. This code gives you 15% off your purchase, and supposedly gives me a coupon at the end of the month for 20% off. I really couldn't care less about the additional 5% off, so feel free to send yourself a referral link or get your friends to send one to you. I'm just posting it here for convenience.

You can do this for any D2D game, btw.
If you pre-order a game, does it charge you automatically? I may get Deus Ex: HR from D2D in that case.

animlboogy said:
Is there anywhere that has a nice list of D2D games that support Steamworks?

I was buying a lot of games on there for awhile, but I got tired of my downloads failing, and there's some kind of annoying login discrepancy with an old GameSpy account or something, so for some reason I always have to choose my account when I login, and they don't allow me to shut down the old account.
This is the list of games that can be activated on Steam. OR anything that has Steamworks requires Steam for activation.

SmokyDave

Brief heads-up for iPhone/iPad owners, I just finished 'The Heist', a 59p sliding puzzle game, somewhere towards the top of the charts currently. The reward for finishing the game turned out to be
a copy of Eets,
redeemable on Steam. That's pretty damned cool.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey guys, I'm having this problem where Firefox crashes every time I try to list an FTP directory. Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm on the latest nightly and Windows 7.

Thanks!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm sure DS2 will hit the $15 to $20 range, in the next Steam sale. I can wait.

animlboogy said:
Gah, the only thing stopping me is that I haven't played the first, and I really want to. I've missed that one being cheap so many times, too... :(
Please don't skip the first game. You'll be cheating yourself.

coopolon

TheExodu5 said:
Nice deal.

Shame I'll never buy anything off Gamersgate though. Such an incredibly slow site and slow game downloads. I bought Gothic 3 off there...and that was enough to convince me not to go back to their service.

Download an 8gb zip file through an HTTP download link at 200K/s is not ideal.

I think you can use the code on EA's Origin and download from there. Their DL speeds have always impressed me. Not 100% positive though.

Edit: On CAG someone said they were able to register their Dead Space 1 from GamersGate on EADM, so I imagine Dead Space 2 will work. Dead Space 1 from Steam would not work.

TheExodu5 said:
Nice deal.

Shame I'll never buy anything off Gamersgate though. Such an incredibly slow site and slow game downloads. I bought Gothic 3 off there...and that was enough to convince me not to go back to their service.

Download an 8gb zip file through an HTTP download link at 200K/s is not ideal.
I usually get a couple of megabytes per second from them, maybe you just caught them at a bad time?

Is neogaf being hit extremely hard or something for e3 stuff? I can't load anything here and it hangggggggssss.

That daily deal looks pretty lame.

Polk said:
Wait what?
It's named "Pre-Purchase Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012" on the store and the release date is supposed to be June 15th. But the release date on the side says "Release Date: 6 Jun 2011".

That's kind of confusing but I guess it just means you can finally buy it and the game will be unlocked next week.

Polk

Palette Swap said:
That's kind of confusing but I guess it just means you can finally buy it and the game will be unlocked next week.
I could add it to cart few minutes ago and there wasn't anything about unlocking at 15th.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, anyone want TF2 Hats/Metal for Magic (Me being on the end to get magic)? Maybe some Valve games such as Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 / Half Life 1 & 2?

Your purchase could not be completed because it looks like you already own one of the games you are trying to buy. Please check your account and your cart to verify you are buying an item you do not already own.
I keep getting this when trying to buy Magic: The Gathering. Any idea what might cause this?

Sober

Never actually played DOTP but from what I heard it's a tad simpler than actual MTG (or at least they don't use cards with a paragraph of rules text on them). I was thinking maybe getting this since I don't play MTG with people that often anymore to even justify buying cards. Would 2012 be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom