• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thats what I wanted something small in return as I don't have many small games, anyway you do not get an extra copy, I'm passing on this now.

coopolon

And yet again I kick myself for not buying that Call of Duty pack last summer. Never again will I pass up a sale I think is a good one because once the publisher figures out it's a good sale, they'll sell it for more later. Although really that's probably just Activision.

Toby said:
MW2 released in 2009, and they want me to pay $20 for it?
Fuck that. Should be $10 at most.

I find the fact that CoD4 was released in 2007 and is $15 more egregious.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Toby said:
MW2 released in 2009, and they want me to pay $20 for it?
Fuck that. Should be $10 at most.

If you want to play online, you'll probably have to dish out another $15 for those map packs, too.

Sanic

How are the playlists organized in MW2? I never plan on buying any of the map packs, so I want to make sure i'll actually be able to play the game online if I buy it.

Pandoracell said:
How are the playlists organized in MW2? I never plan on buying any of the map packs, so I want to make sure i'll actually be able to play the game online if I buy it.

Pretty sure they're combined, and you'll get kicked if you don't have the map being queued. That's how it is on 360, anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pandoracell said:
iw4mp2011-06-0715-37-51k2m.jpg

Sanic

LocoMrPollock said:
Pretty sure they're combined, and you'll get kicked if you don't have the map being queued. That's how it is on 360, anyway.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind that if it's just an occasional thing, but I don't want to have to find a different session after every match or two. Can anyone comment on their experience?

And thanks Stallion Free!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kevin said:
How is the single player in MW2 for those who want the game for single player?
It's as crazy as a Michael Bay film. Complete rollercoaster ride. If you enjoy that kind of game, go for it. I enjoy IW's campaigns quite a bit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kevin said:
How is the single player in MW2 for those who want the game for single player?

It's good, dumb fun but I didn't like it as much as MW1's campaign. The stories are always over the top, but they went full retard with MW2. But really, who gives a shit about story. My biggest issues were the awful jelly screen when you take damage, and some of the ridiculously hectic firefights. It's basically a total clusterfuck at times.

It's not bad, but it's kinda hard to recommend it @ $20 when it's only about 6 hours long. Do they have Spec Ops in the PC version?

XeroSauce

They do have Spec Ops and it was probably my favourite part of the game. Find a good partner and blaze through them, they're great.

Dungeon Siege 3 was alright, I guess, don't think I'll be buying it any time soon. I just find it so strange that they've put so much emphasis on plot and story for a corridor crawling loot game and structured the multiplayer the way they have.

Frozenbyte collection looks sorta good to me, but I know I'll never play them if I buy them. Don't want to add more to the backlog.

Duke Nukem Forever preloaded is 6,3 GB btw. Which is rather small. I do hope it's not going to be a 5 hour game or something.

Sanic

Do these 15% off codes have any kind of expiration dates? I probably will want to get DNF, but want to wait until after the game launches.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Recommendations for a good headset for Steam? Wireless bluetooth would be preferable, since then I could use it with my PS3.

But the most important bit is that there can't be any echo. I'm getting a terrible 1-sec delay echo (of my voice only) with my current USB headset mike. It's weird, since that mike works perfectly well with other apps like Skype. I'm thinking it's a Steam issue since I've upgraded my motherboard's drivers for the Realtek on-board and Steam is the only app that has a problem with this mike. I've tried all the various settings I can think of in the Realtek HD Audio Manager program and nothing is working to kill the echo.

So any recommendations for a good echo-free mike for use with Steam?

Zimbardo

Pandoracell said:
Do these 15% off codes have any kind of expiration dates? I probably will want to get DNF, but want to wait until after the game launches.

yeah, they seem to expire pretty quick. not sure how long it takes exactly, but if you plan on using it, i would recommend using it ASAP.

Sanic

Zimbardo said:
yeah, they seem to expire pretty quick. not sure how long it takes exactly, but if you plan on using it, i would recommend using it ASAP.

Thanks. Have to think about what I want to do, then.

TheExodu5

Banned
The codes shouldn't expire. Well...maybe the codes do, but theres a page for each tellapal.com user with a code unique to them. Mine's been up for a month. There's no reason it should expire...it's a referral link.

Zimbardo

TheExodu5 said:
The codes shouldn't expire. Well...maybe the codes do, but theres a page for each tellapal.com user with a code unique to them. Mine's been up for a month. There's no reason it should expire...it's a referral link.

the one u posted yesterday has expired.

they never seem to last that long from what i've seen anyway.

do you get another new code to use as a referral when one expires? i have no idea.

Oreoleo

LastWindow said:
Yeah, I'm enjoying Armageddon. Does anyone know how to get the pony that shoots rainbows out of its ass?

I think you have to beat the game first.

Same deal with the Ostrich Hammer in Guerilla.

Salsa

Friend talked me into the Coop campaign so i bought MW2.

Hearing the bad multiplayer impressions i'll probably end up getting MW1 for that.

I feel bad giving this amount of money to Kottick, but oh well.

Cardigan

SalsaShark said:
Friend talked me into the Coop campaign so i bought MW2.

Hearing the bad multiplayer impressions i'll probably end up getting MW1 for that.

I feel bad giving this amount of money to Kottick, but oh well.
Hope ya know that MW2 doesn't have full campaign co-op, it's just the Spec Op missions.

SalsaShark said:
i bought MW2.
You're not the only one — it's the top seller on Steam right now!

SalsaShark said:
Make sure you give MW2 multiplayer a chance. I bought it last year expecting it to be dire, but really enjoyed it.

Played through the tutorial and first real level of Red Faction Armageddon, really diggin' it so far. I have no issues with Red Faction going back to being more of a pure shooter, even if it's the third person variety. I wish that the destruction wasn't purely limited to structures in the environment and that Armageddon had some of RF1's free-form terrain destruction but the Nano-Forge re-construction ability is kind of neat. You can just go crazy blowing things up or smashing things with your hammer and fix what you need after. Fixing things in a fire fight to rebuild cover is interesting too.

It's looking like I should push on through and beat Guerrilla given that I'm completely mystified by the connection the protagonist and antagonist share in Armageddon (
"Generations of bad blood" or the Marauders being more than just gibberish screaming caricatures of Sand People
). In Guerrilla I've liberated Parker, Dust, the Badlands and am working my way through Oasis with only the Free-Fire Zone and Eos left. I just tend to find open world games and their generic, repetitive activities kind of tedious. There's been two stand out missions in Dust and the rest are an indistinct blur. I like the timed destruction puzzle guerrilla activities.

mhznet

Why Steam? Why is this not fixed yet? Why do I need to download 9gb everytime Witcher 2 gets a patch?

Is this some kind of punishment for not buying it from GOG?

:\

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
mhznet said:
Why Steam? Why is this not fixed yet? Why do I need to download 9gb everytime Witcher 2 gets a patch?

Is this some kind of punishment for not buying it from GOG?

:\
It's CDProject's fault, I think.

K.Jack said:
It's CDProject's fault, I think.
It's a team effort. The problem could be fixed by game developers keeping their files loose in the installation folder instead of packing them up in big solid resource volumes. That way when something changes, Steam can get just the little file that changed instead of the entire archive.

Or it could be fixed by Valve changing their update method and incorporating a patching engine to inject the differences into the files instead of just redownloading the entirety of every file that changes.

Dipswitch

Zimbardo said:
here's another Direct2Drive code for anyone looking for an extra 15% off.

F4072BD0EBD66ADDEE44C19890248E30

currently working.
Not really sure how these work - can they be used by more than one person?

Weenerz

Banned
Don't really recommend buying MW2, the community is dead. Takes forever to find a game in any gametype. Since there isn't dedicated servers, you can't browse servers. Go with CoD4 imo.

LocoMrPollock said:
So how well does Armageddon run?

I'm running the game in DX11.

Anti-aliasing is set to 2xMSAA,
Anistropic Filter is 2x
I have Ambient Occlusion set to High
Shadow detail is medium
Texture detail is high
Motion Blur is enabled
Scene Detail is Normal
Post Processing Detail is set to High

I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 480, 6GB of ram and an i7 quad core 2.8Ghz, I'm bouncing between 40-60fps. Alright bare with me, I haven't really used Fraps much or bothered to take many screenshots before...

f7682e4722dfc5ab7a089c968d9236195709020e.jpg

d9283de3e06a78173534c84e194c9958e108153d.jpg

b230213a1df08c3857fc4c3170296f9c46b166aa.jpg

I haven't really toyed around with any of the options, aside from setting my resolution, and I haven't tried to run the game in DX9 to see the differences in performance.

So I already have Trine and was looking at buying the forzenbyte collection, if I buy it can I gift the extra Trine I will have? Or wont it let me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom