• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zuma's Revenge/50% off/$4.99

Meh, I think I tried the demo on xbox but I dunno. I was hoping for a good daily deal because I want to buy stuff today, but oh well.

1-D_FTW

Nabs said:
You better buy that shit through Amazon instead. Don't give EA 100%.

You're right. I think I made a vindictive promise to buy it from whoever gave EA the lowest cut (or was that another EA game). If Amazon 20 dollar gift cards it, they have my order (otherwise somebody will have it on sale launch week). I can't believe I've forgotten my EA strategy already.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
JaseC said:
I believe the rating logo is based on the region of the Steam store you're using. For example, typically, I'm greeted with the Aussie MA15+ rating logo, but, say, if I throw cc=us at the end of the Steam store home URL, the same page displays the ESRB equivalent. See:

http://i.imgur.com/kPVJZ.jpg

If you're seeing otherwise, something is awry.

Edit: Wow, imgur destroyed the image quality.

Edit 2: Silly me didn't upload the downsized version. Fixed.

Ah I see. I'm in the Philippines so I guess South East Asia uses PEGI but get games in the US.

A trailer for Vertex Dispenser was added. Information about the game can be found here:

Vertex Dispenser is a fast-paced abstract strategy game with mathematical puzzle elements. Wrestle for control of territory on bizarre geometric worlds. Carefully plan your conquests to maximise the colours of your vertices, capture solid faces to defend them, then eradicate your enemies with a variety of special attacks.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/59Fg8rheZIQ

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
I have no idea how intrusive it's going to be. I'm assuming server lists and friends lists are going to be incorporated through Origins, so intrusive enough for me. I think EA understands this is their Half-Life 2 and they're going to imbed as much functionality as they can. BF3 is their Trojan Horse and they seem to know it.
Eh, I don't think you will have to use Origin on any level for external purchases. I bet it will be another piece of shit half-assed server browser that takes about 3-4 patches to be brought up to 2001 standards and the friends list will automatically be filled with Origin friends that you have, but not require the overlay for access. Punkbuster does hate overlays.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Eh, I don't think you will have to use Origin on any level for external purchases. I bet it will be another piece of shit half-assed server browser that takes about 3-4 patches to be brought up to 2001 standards and the friends list will automatically be filled with Origin friends that you have, but not require the overlay for access. Punkbuster does hate overlays.

Either way, I forgot about my pledge to buy it from whoever gives EA the lowest cut. So even if it's not intrusive from non-EA sources, there's a principal involved here. Retail it is unless it shows up on Steam with pre-orders.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Either way, I forgot about my pledge to buy it from whoever gives EA the lowest cut. So even if it's not intrusive from non-EA sources, there's a principal involved here. Retail it is unless it shows up on Steam with pre-orders.
If Steam doesn't get the pre-order bonus I'm waiting till the Steam version drops to the point where I can buy the game and the DLC for less than 60$. Shouldn't be long. BC2 dropped wicked fast.

1-D_FTW

Unless it actually does become CoD popular. How long does Activision hold prices before drops?

If Kmart continues their aggressive push, they'll have a 20 dollar gift card on launch week. Amazon always matches those. I'll just go that way since it'll include the DLC. This way I won't have to worry about caving under the hype and paying the full 60 dollars.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Unless it actually does become CoD popular. How long does Activision hold prices before drops?

If Kmart continues their aggressive push, they'll have a 20 dollar gift card on launch week. Amazon always matches those. I'll just go that way since it'll include the DLC. This way I won't have to worry about caving under the hype and paying the full 60 dollars.
Activision takes forever to drop prices, the lowest Blops was in the first 7 months was 40$ (on the Steam store). 9 months after release BC2 was as low as 7$.

1-D_FTW

And EA isn't above doing the same. If it's a mega hit, they're going to milk it.

I'll still go through Steam if it's confirmed Origins isn't a client and Steam gets the pre-order goodies, but otherwise Amazon it is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Steam sales can suck it, I finally took the plunge:

vamp4kio.png

now I gotta decide if I should bite on the $15 Dead Space 2 deal at Amazon digi or if I should just hold out until the summer sale

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Snuggler said:

vamp4kio.png

now I gotta decide if I should bite on the $15 Dead Space 2 deal at Amazon digi or if I should just hold out until the summer sale
Hold out for the summer sale and enjoy Vampire.

Blizzard

Banned
Snuggler said:

vamp4kio.png
Psh, I got that game a while back for a cool 50% off on D2D or something. *pose*

(Now, would I buy it again from Steam if it went on sale...maybe)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
Psh, I got that game a while back for a cool 50% off on D2D or something. *pose*

(Now, would I buy it again from Steam if it went on sale...maybe)

If you got if for 50% off at D2D and are now telling me that you would buy it on Steam in case a sale comes up.... why didn't you just buy it on Steam in the first place?

50% from one retailer plus 50% from another....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Snuggler said:

vamp4kio.png

Now that you've bitten the bullet the game will go on sale tomorrow for 2.50.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gvaz said:
VTMB owns. Now all it needs to do is incorporate the community patches.

I downloaded the 7.5 patch that makes the game work on my W7/64bit whatever. The only problem is the limited resolutions and the inability to run it windowed.

Any recommendations for a resolution patch that won't clash with 7.5? I downloaded respatch from FilePlanet but when I try to execute the file nothing happens.

Snuggler said:
I downloaded the 7.5 patch that makes the game work on my W7/64bit whatever. The only problem is the limited resolutions and the inability to run it windowed.

Any recommendations for a resolution patch that won't clash with 7.5? I downloaded respatch from FilePlanet but when I try to execute the file nothing happens.
Get the resolution patcher here

That should do it for you. If you have any problems there are some alternate ways of getting it done. Go here for an explanation.

Once you have the resolutions patched, make sure you run the game with the '-console' switch. After you start up, hit ~, and type 'r_anamorphic 1' to fix the stretching.

Some people also like to add the command 'fov 69' to fix the field of view but I found it unnecessary.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks, I actually just found the res patch file in my Vampire directory so I'm running this bitch in 1080p. Now all I'm concerned about is crashes, and more importantly that I choose the right attributes. I rolled as a Ninja, which might have been a bad idea.

Fuckin A man, I love PC gaming.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeitgeister said:
How is the Steam version btw? I assume like all old games on Steam, you don't have to expect it to run on Windows 7, right?

Seems like the unofficial patch is required. At first, it crashed because I didn't have the required 15mb of ram or something for it to run

Getting it to run has been relatively painless so far, though.

Anyways, I'm playing as a malkavian and the dialogue options and font are very interesting so far. Not sure if was the right choice, lol.

Tanolen

Snuggler said:
Seems like the unofficial patch is required. At first, it crashed because I didn't have the required 15mb of ram or something for it to run

Getting it to run has been relatively painless so far, though.

Anyways, I'm playing as a malkavian and the dialogue options and font are very interesting so far. Not sure if was the right choice, lol.

Not the best clan for a first run. But if you read carefully you can figure out what you are really trying to say.

Snuggler said:
Zuma's Revenge/50% off/$4.99

Meh, I think I tried the demo on xbox but I dunno. I was hoping for a good daily deal because I want to buy stuff today, but oh well.

That was the original Zuma. This is the sequel. I think it's a pretty great game. Great 2D art, some suprisingly hilarious writing, a good challenge, and several unlockable modes.

apana

Apparently there is no Gamestop within a hundred miles of me that sells the wired Xbox 360 controller made by Microsoft. They all do however sell the Xbox 360 controller made by gamestop. This is just strange, has anyone tried the 360 controllers made by Gamestop? Do they work alright, why do they have such bad reviews?

R2D4

Banned
apana said:
Apparently there is no Gamestop within a hundred miles of me that sells the wired Xbox 360 controller made by Microsoft. They all do however sell the Xbox 360 controller made by gamestop. This is just strange, has anyone tried the 360 controllers made by Gamestop? Do they work alright, why do they have such bad reviews?

Amazon

ATF487

apana said:

I bought that gamestop controller to save money and regretted it. It works with the PC fine, but it feels cheap and my right analog stick broke one day. Just order a 360 controller online

Sober

apana said:
If there is a wal-mart or target (I think, don't have those in Canada) you might want to try that - both the xbox and PC accessories section. Best Buy anywhere nearby?

It's kind of sad to see "duke nukem available" and the game not even showing up in the top 20 sales. I guess that whole pre-order thing was pretty much it then?
(it was in the top 20 before release)

edit: for my local region, obviously.

Weenerz

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
It's kind of sad to see "duke nukem available" and the game not even showing up in the top 20 sales. I guess that whole pre-order thing was pretty much it then?

Probably it being a FPS of an American badass doesn't help it's case in other countries.

Snuggler said:

vamp4kio.png

They got you Snnugy. I'll wait until I catch my white whale.

IMACOMPUTA

Coldsnap said:
Uhm i5 2500k GTX 560 Twin Frozr II ect. ect.

Yea i put 200+ hours into the xbox 360 version but I feel like I could do another play through and enjoy it. It's funny the whole time I was watching my friend go through LA Noir we wouldn't stop talking about GTA IV and how awesome it was, made me want to go back and play it.

Not only will you be able to run it extremely well, you can get into ENB series and enhance the look 10 fold.

Also, getting car model replacements, trainers, etc. is extremely fun and addictive if you're willing to put time into that stuff. One must-have enhancement is the increased range with guns mod.

Zeitgeister said:

Wait till they include hats.

Gvaz said:
I'd get dead rising 2 (looked interesting) but not for $20

I picked it up during the holiday sale last year for $15.99. I would wait for the summer sale or the next holiday sale if you can.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Jamestown is pretty amazing, I really recommend it.

Just picked it up today. Played the first stage and had a blast. Will try some co-op later tonight. Highly recommended!

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:
If you got if for 50% off at D2D and are now telling me that you would buy it on Steam in case a sale comes up.... why didn't you just buy it on Steam in the first place?

50% from one retailer plus 50% from another....
Hey I said maybe. ;p

nexen

damnit I waited too long on that Witcher 2 deal.
Weird how I couldn't make my mind up at $40 now I feel like I have to buy it immediately at $50.

coopolon

nexen said:
damnit I waited too long on that Witcher 2 deal.
Weird how I couldn't make my mind up at $40 now I feel like I have to buy it immediately at $50.

I pulled the trigger on the D2D one with 15% off. Probably a bad idea since I won't get to it before the summer sale and it will probably be even less there.

Shambles

So I've been finally customizing a lot of the UIs on software that I frequently use in order to make things a lot more hassle free, something I should have done a long time ago. I'm looking online and in the client but I can't seem to find any options that actually terminate steam when I hit the X button in the top right like it should. I'm fine with certain programs presuming they want to be left open but only as long as the option is there to change the X button back to what it is normally used for. Is there any sort of hack or workaround to get the X button to actually close when I click close? A few extra clicks to actually close it in the tray isn't much extra work, but it does add up over time and I am trying to streamline my machine. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom