• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbmonk

R2D4 said:
just because you have a 3Mb connection doesnt mean you can download a file at that rate. Google how file transfers work.

Are you are talking about the FTP protocol? It might be a bit much to ask of you on my behalf but do you have a link, maybe a more specific search phrase, or just elaborate a bit?

Just to clarify I have a 3MB connection not a 3Mb connection. But I only get that on speed test sites. I never get that in actual file download speed from a non speed test server. I assume that is what you are getting at.

biocat

mbmonk said:
I have 3.5MB download internet connection and Steam maxes at 1.4MB. Really frustrating because I have a Steam content server in my town, Charlotte NC.

I tried a fresh install of Steam on a separate machine ( laptop ) hooked into my router with an ethernet cable and still was being limited at 1.4MB per second. I have tried various content servers in nearby cities and it's always the same 1.4MB max.

EDIT: I have adjusted my "Internet Connection" setting in Steam to Cable/Fiber.

Any suggestions?
They aren't throttling from what I've seen. Getting 5.0MB/s right now. Maybe the server is busy in your neck of the woods?

mbmonk

biocat said:
They aren't throttling from what I've seen. Getting 5.0MB/s right now. Maybe the server is busy in your neck of the woods?

Glad to hear it's on my end and not Steam's.

I have tried other content servers Charlotte, Atlanta, and Washington DC. Same for all of them so it's something on my end or just a fundamental misunderstanding I have. :)

mbmonk said:
I have 3.5MB download internet connection and Steam maxes at 1.4MB. Really frustrating because I have a Steam content server in my town, Charlotte NC.

I tried a fresh install of Steam on a separate machine ( laptop ) hooked into my router with an ethernet cable and still was being limited at 1.4MB per second. I have tried various content servers in nearby cities and it's always the same 1.4MB max.

EDIT: I have adjusted my "Internet Connection" setting in Steam to Cable/Fiber.

Any suggestions?
Is it U-Verse? My taps out at 1.4MBps as well. I don't know why. Perhaps it caps individual streams at that?

mbmonk

speculawyer said:
Is it U-Verse? My taps out at 1.4MBps as well. I don't know why. Perhaps it caps individual streams at that?

I have Time Warner.

I even hooked my laptop straight into the cable modem and still got capped around 1.4. So I have pretty much eliminated it being my internal network that is causing the slow down. I am not sure where to go next.

coopolon

mbmonk said:
I have Time Warner.

I even hooked my laptop straight into the cable modem and still got capped around 1.4. So I have pretty much eliminated it being my internal network that is causing the slow down. I am not sure where to go next.

Do you get higher speeds from other places like D2D, GOG, torrenting, anything?

Blizzard

Banned
mbmonk said:
I have Time Warner.

Just as a point of reference, if you want to burn a gigabyte or so of bandwidth try downloading the UDK using the main "Download Latest Release" link from here: http://udk.com/download

I think someone mentioned that they got good speeds from that server, and it's a single-file HTTP download.

coopolon

Blizzard said:
Just as a point of reference, if you want to burn a gigabyte or so of bandwidth try downloading the UDK using the main "Download Latest Release" link from here: http://udk.com/download

I think someone mentioned that they got good speeds from that server, and it's a single-file HTTP download.

Just tried it out to see, I got 3.3MB which is as fast as my connection can handle. So yah, try that and see if you get higher than 1.4.

Steam only gives me 2.5, but I think my ISP (comcast) is throttling that, not Steam.

DJ_Lae

I've got a little over 3MB connection and that's generally what my download speeds on Steam are (as long as the server near me isn't crazy busy or anything).

Nimbus looks really cool from the video on the store page. Anyone played it?

edit - just noticed there's a demo. But I bought it anyway, it's five bucks.

R2D4

Banned
mbmonk said:
Are you are talking about the FTP protocol? It might be a bit much to ask of you on my behalf but do you have a link, maybe a more specific search phrase, or just elaborate a bit?

Just to clarify I have a 3MB connection not a 3Mb connection. But I only get that on speed test sites. I never get that in actual file download speed from a non speed test server. I assume that is what you are getting at.
I'll try to find a link that explains when I'm not posting from a shitty phone. I have a 10Meg connection and my downloads max out at 3.

Blizzard

Banned
Bear in mind that there's a Nimbus demo. I think I tried the demo and didn't care for the game during a previous sale. It was probably just too hard for me in terms of the side scrolling flight stuff without dying to spikes all the time.

*edit* Just to make sure I clarify, I'm not saying it's a bad game, just one that I did not feel was for me. Key point is, try the demo if unsure. :)

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:
Bear in mind that there's a Nimbus demo. I think I tried the demo and didn't care for the game during a previous sale. It was probably just too hard for me in terms of the side scrolling flight stuff without dying to spikes all the time.

Well, just so you don't scare anyone off, it's definitely no Super Meat Boy. But, yeah, try the demo if on the fence.

To me it's what uniracers 2 would have been if uniracers completely changed directions and morphed into a space ship and went heavily physics based. I know it's not really like uniracers, but for some odd reason it just gives me that vibe.

mbmonk

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I have to leave for an out of town wedding so I will not be able to do anymore testing. But I really wanted to thank you all before leaving.

Blizzard said:

Thanks for the suggestion and link. On that file I am still in the 1.4MB range. I ended up hooking backup my router, etc. but I am on a wired connection from the laptop to the router.

It's interesting that I only get 3MB on speed test servers and any real world download seems to be at 1.4MB.

R2D4 said:
I'll try to find a link that explains when I'm not posting from a shitty phone. I have a 10Meg connection and my downloads max out at 3.

I didn't know you were posting from your phone. If you happen to find the link at a later time I would appreciate it but regardless thank you.

Have a nice afternoon gentlemen. I am off to get drunk at a wedding and make a fool of myself. Cheers.

Cipherr

Gvaz said:
I have a 2 megabyte download speed limit and steam pretty much maxes that out. Maybe your ISP is throttling it?

I have the exact same downstream limit of 2MBPS through time warner and Steam downloads just about always cap that speed.

Snagged Nimbus since it was on my wishlist and I procrastinated a few weeks ago when it was on sale. Got it this time.

Gvaz

Banned
I guess it's too much to ask for anything but indie games to be the daily deal. I haven't been interested in a single of these games so far.

Blizzard

Banned
Gvaz said:
I guess it's too much to ask for anything but indie games to be the daily deal. I haven't been interested in a single of these games so far.
Civ IV, Wings of Prey, Dirt, and Tales of Monkey Island are presumably not "indie". Also, the point of daily deals is to give discounts on low-profile, low-selling games that would otherwise not be very popular, I would guess.

jaundicejuice said:
You heard it here first folks, Sid Meier is indie.
Has there been a Sid Meier game in Daily Deals? Which one? When? WHY?

It wasn't Pirates! was it? I'd like to revisit that one.

EDIT: Civ IV. I'm blind.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Gvaz said:

They're just having you save your cash until the summer sale in a few weeks.

MRORANGE

Gvaz said:

expect major publishers to head up mid-week deals and weekend deals, and random titles on the daily deals, granted most of them are indie, probably because major publishers want there games to go on sale for a few days to have greater impact.

Gvaz

Banned
Blizzard said:
Civ IV, Wings of Prey, Dirt, and Tales of Monkey Island are presumably not "indie". Also, the point of daily deals is to give discounts on low-profile, low-selling games that would otherwise not be very popular, I would guess.
Already Got It, Already Got It, Already Got It, Already Got It.

I want shit like dreamkiller or still life or the longest journey, etc. Like the shit you NEVER see go on sale or when it does only goes 25% off. That's what I want on a daily deal.

Blizzard

Banned
Gvaz said:
Already Got It, Already Got It, Already Got It, Already Got It.

I want shit like dreamkiller or still life or the longest journey, etc. Like the shit you NEVER see go on sale or when it does only goes 25% off. That's what I want on a daily deal.
Well, you didn't say you wanted specific games you didn't already OWN to go on sale. ;) You just said you wanted anything to go on sale that wasn't an indie game.

And considering the Still Life games became available on Steam what...9 days ago? It's kind of funny to say that you never see them go on sale, for 25% or otherwise. :p

I can understand being disappointed with the Daily Deals, but I think it's a wonderful idea to get a few of the mroe independent releases some attention. Plus with the Weekend Deals and the now TWO Midweek Madness sales, it's easier to get the BIGGER games at that discount.

Gvaz

Banned
Blizzard said:
Well, you didn't say you wanted specific games you didn't already OWN to go on sale. ;) You just said you wanted anything to go on sale that wasn't an indie game.

And considering the Still Life games became available on Steam what...9 days ago? It's kind of funny to say that you never see them go on sale, for 25% or otherwise. :p
I said still life but I meant like, anything on my wishlist and that was the first to come to mind lol

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gonefish1ng/wishlist is basically full of stuff I want lol

R2D4

Banned
mbmonk said:
I didn't know you were posting from your phone. If you happen to find the link at a later time I would appreciate it but regardless thank you.

Have a nice afternoon gentlemen. I am off to get drunk at a wedding and make a fool of myself. Cheers.

I thought you were confusing megabits with megabytes. But I guess your not. So I'm not sure why your Steam downloads are slow if your other downloads are 3 megabytes per second. Sorry just got into a big argument with a customer because he didn't know the difference between the two and thought that his speed test speed should be the same as his download speed.

Gvaz

Banned
R2D4 said:
I thought you were confusing megabits with megabytes. But I guess your not. So I'm not sure why your Steam downloads are slow if your other downloads are 3 megabytes per second. Sorry just got into a big argument with a customer because he didn't know the difference between the two and thought that his speed test speed should be the same as his download speed.
Next time tell him because the people selling it (also hard drives) use those numbers because they look bigger and bigger = better.

Gvaz said:
Next time tell him because the people selling it (also hard drives) use those numbers because they look bigger and bigger = better.

Internet unit confusion is bits versus bytes.

Storage unit confusion is binary versus decimal. (confusion stemming from Microsoft denoting hard drive space in "GB" when they should be saying "GiB")

The plot is all over the place. The EDF stole the nanotech from Ultor, civil wars broke out on earth over the technology, nation states fought over the tech, Sopot and the Commonwealth were the last to get their hands on the nanotech. That raid was the introductory level in the game and the soldiers that would become Alias (the player) and Shrike were involved. Sopot used this technology to take over the world with Nanotech infused super soldiers, which he then turned on with more mindless creations that he could control. There were thousands of nanotech super soldiers that were mercilessly hunted down by Sopot's elite forces, now the remaining six are working with the effete Red Faction, and all of this information is conveyed via a cutscene after the intorductory level.

Red Faction 2 has completely broken away from the Half-Life styled presentation of the first game. You don't experience the majority of the story through the protagonists eyes, it's just fed to you through cutscenes. Volition did such a good job of making Ultor's security and mercenary forces out to be so cartoonishly evil in Red Faction. Like Snidely Whiplash mustache twistingly evil. Every time you round a corner an innocent miner or Red Faction insurgent is getting shot before your eyes. By the time you meet Capek, you're damned certain Ulto's main export is evil and mining is just a side gig. In Red Faction 2 you're simply told Sopot is evil and his regime must be toppled in a cutscene but you're never directly shown why.

When you kill Sopot, Molov (the leader of the nanotech super soldier squad) just steps in and becomes the next dictator, his first order of business is to kill the Red Faction (why are there martian insurgents on earth? Even if it's just a name it doesn't make any sense) and two of the nanotech super soldiers, Alias and I forget the name of the other one. "Ha ha, surprise, I am evil, this technology is mine!" You don't even care about the plot twist, none of the characters are likeable.

What's worse than having the game broken up by cutscenes and loading is that the loading mid-mission doesn't even make any sense for the vehicle sections. You'll be in a tank or jet, which is damaged, hit a loading screen and all of your vehicles health has been returned. It doesn't make any sense and removes pretty much and all challenge those sections might've had.

The nerfed destruction is the biggest crime. What you can destroy isn't even consistent, there isn't a visual logic to any of it. Some things can be blown apart, others can't be destroyed, some can only be destroyed after a scripted event. It's terrible. And the levels are so claustrophobic, you're literally just moving down a funnel.

Edit: 2.3 hours and I'm already halfway through the game according to this FAQ

IV. Walkthrough
1. Foreign Lands
a. Complex Exterior
b. Containment Facility
2. Public Information Building
a. Lobby Level
b. Admin Area
c. Propoganda Studios
d. In the rain
e. To the Rooftop
3. Shrike's Wild Ride
a. Search and Destroy
b. Aerial Encounters
c. Brothers-in-arms
4. Underground
a. Alone in the Dark
b. The Train! The Train!
c. Rush Hour
d. The Bridge
5. Tank on the Town
a. Tank Gunner
b. Traffic Congestion
c. Road to the Citadel
6. Sopot's Citadel
a. Break in
b. Main Gate
c. Ammo Dump
d. Battle Armor
e. Hot Pursuit
f. Missle Silo
7. Hanging in the 'Hood
a. Mean Streets

b. High Rise Hell
c. Death from Above
d. High Rent District
e. In the back Alleys
8. Dancing with the Dead
a. Cemetery
b. Catacombs
c. Cathedral
9. A River Runs to it
a. On the Docks
b. Inside the Submarine
c. Dive! Dive! Dive!
d. The Right Way in
10. Inside the Nanobase
a. Industrial Processing
b. Repta Reunion
c. Having a Blast
d. No Place Like Home
e. The Nano Elite
f. Reprocessed
11. In Sopot's Deadly Embrace
a. Inside the Statue
b. Toward the Flame
c. The Final Battle

plc268

I like Nimbus... I really do. But, damn, I'm probably going to quit playing soon if I don't get used to these controls. I just hate the fact how the controls reverse every time you hit something in this game. It throws me for a loop nearly every time, and I almost always make the wrong decision after that.

1-D_FTW

You really need to have your trajectory lined up and have your hands off the d-pad before you hit. Then after you hit, your hands are still off and you can take a split second to adjust to what the next adjustment needs to be.

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
You really need to have your trajectory lined up and have your hands off the d-pad before you hit. Then after you hit, your hands are still off and you can take a split second to adjust to what the next adjustment needs to be.

I tried that as well, but the delay from doing that has caused me not to have nearly enough momentum at times.

Okay since most of you probably don't care, I'm not going to write a long rant about how awful a sequel Red Faction 2 is, I'll say the one thing it does well...

Sometimes when you blow a dude up with a direct hit from your grenade launcher, his legs are left standing for a bit before they slump to the ground.

That's it.

Also:
6b42c0da76a048cbfe52671e98422082708efc37.jpg

Narag

jaundicejuice said:
Okay since most of you probably don't care, I'm not going to write a long rant about how awful a sequel Red Faction 2 is, I'll say the one thing it does well...

Sometimes when you blow a dude up with a direct hit from your grenade launcher, his legs are left standing for a bit before they slump to the ground.

That's it.

Also:
http://i.picpar.com/6b42c0da76a048cbfe52671e98422082708efc37.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

I enjoy your in-depth impressions at the very least even if it is essentially you taking one for the team. Useful to refer back to when people ask about stuff down the line too.

Joe Molotov said:
That guy's dudebroing as hard as he can.

That's Shrike, he becomes the air marshal for the Red Faction government of earth after the defeat of Molov's corrupt one day regime.

Narag said:
I enjoy your in-depth impressions at the very least even if it is essentially you taking one for the team. Useful to refer back to when people ask about stuff down the line too.

I don't think anyone will be asking after the quality of Red Faction 2 :(

Oh well, at least I got a new avatar out of it.

Aselith

jaundicejuice said:
Red Faction 2 impressions

Seems like they made the same misstep from Guerilla to Armageddon that they did in this one where they narrowed your options way down over the first game. I don't understand why they wouldn't stick with a successful formula and just improve THAT. Like why the fuck do we need another corridor shooter? Make a better version of the game we liked and innovate within that context!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Nimbus is lovely. I'm smitten.

Bought Gemini Rue earlier in the week, Sanctum yesterday, Nimbus this afternoon. I'm in indie PC heaven right now.

Salsa

still mad over Gemini Rue being rejected on Steam

we should start a petition or something. This is one of the instances where it might just work.

SalsaShark said:
still mad over Gemini Rue being rejected on Steam

we should start a petition or something. This is one of the instances where it might just work.

Did they say what the reason was for the rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom