• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

balladofwindfishes said:
Every website owned by Valve is currently down.

Nobody seems to know why.
What? Steam and valvesoftware.com are working fine for me. So are teamfortress.com and thinkwithportals.com.

It seems to be region based. I can't get on any Valve site, and a few others I'm chatting with have mixed results. Some can, and some can't.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern. I hope they fix this soon :/

balladofwindfishes said:
Ubisoft giving out free steam games!?
No, seems there was a glitch where you could get a game without any paying info on your account.

Just saw something about it in 4chan, and Twitter.

Edit: A guy had a screen where his friends bought an Ubisoft game.

Link Your Profile with Facebook and Find Your Friends on Steam said:
Now it is easier than ever to find your friends on Steam. Just link your Facebook profile with Steam and see your friends who have done the same. Don't worry, we won't post anything to your Facebook wall without your approval.

Click here to link your profiles and get started.

Linking your accounts will also raise your maximum friend count in Steam to 300

And Jamestown Update.

Changes:
Lives/credits now behave consistently during gauntlet runs
F9 no longer crashes game when attempting to record using FRAPS
Lightning Bug crash fixed on Dark Sector
Leaderboards now correctly save/display selected ships
Final boss music replaced with fully-mastered version
Fullscreen-related crashes should be fixed
Bomber vulcan damage increased by 1.5
Attempted fix for analog/hat input conflict on certain controllers
Challenge level and gauntlet achievements should now award correctly (apologies to our first first 1CC gauntlet players!)
The next time a challenge is completed (win or lose), all missing challenge achievements will be awarded
Enemies that weren’t damage-flashing correctly should now be, with a few minor exceptions
Misc other crash bugs resolved

Known Issues:
Very-high-sensitivity mice move very slowly
WORKAROUND: Lower mouse sensitivity settings through Windows
Some integrated video cards crash due to lack of proper OpenGL 2.0 support
Audio mixer occasionally enters a state where sounds play incorrectly
WORKAROUND: Quit and restart the program
Menu music sometimes cuts out after a couple loops

TF2 too, but no patch notes yet.

Zimbardo

i bought Dead Rising 2 and Resident Evil 5.

been wanting them for a while, and i have my doubts that they'll be any cheaper than this any time soon.

Capcom seems to only do 50% off sales from what i've seen.

Sanic

chixdiggit said:
When did Bulletstorm get a price drop? Is it worth it for $29? When is the Summer sale again?

You could be looking at anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the summer sale, probably 3 to put it in a similar time frame to last year.

Assuming of course they have one this year at all.

Zimbardo

chixdiggit said:
When did Bulletstorm get a price drop? Is it worth it for $29? When is the Summer sale again?

i would say Bulletstorm is definitely worth $29. single player was very well done, multiplayer was fun for a little while, but got kinda old after a bit.

still ...worthy of $29, imo.

there's also a good chance of it going on sale during Steam's summer sale, so i'd wait to see what happens there. the summer sale should start around the end of june, i believe?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chixdiggit said:
You get 500 points for shooting a mini-boss up the asshole, which causes him to to release a flaming fart.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
chixdiggit said:

Like others have said, it'll probably be in the sale, but it's so worth it. It's one of the best FPS games of this gen. Highly recommended.

chixdiggit

SapientWolf said:
You get 500 points for shooting a mini-boss up the asshole, which causes him to to release a flaming fart.

Seems like it's worth four times the asking price. I might as well wait a couple weeks and catch up on some backlog.

Zimbardo

so my weekend damage is :

Dead Rising 2
Resident Evil 5
Manhunt 2

more stuff for the ever growing backlog.

i fear the summer sales.

on the other hand, maybe i'll already own most of it.

Red Faction 2 Fun Fact: Jason Statham does the voice-over for Shrike, one of the nano-super soldiers you're in a squad with.

Man, Red Faction 2 is awful. I've played through Red Faction, Guerrilla and Armageddon and thought I would give RF2 another shot since I got a free copy for pre-ordering Armageddon on Steam but it's so awful. The environments are ridiculously cramped and small, there's a constant deluge of loading screens breaking up the experience and there are distinct levels which break away from the first games Half-Life styled presentation. To make matters worse the enemy a.i. is completely retarded, the animation is awful, the environments look worse and the destruction is incredibly nerfed and limited. Red Faction 2 is a step back in almost every conceivable way from the first game and you can't really point the blame at the consoles of the time because the first Red Faction was a PS2 launch title. Soooo what the hell went wrong with this game's development?

Since I'm already a third of the way through it in little over an hour (!) going by the FAQ I glanced at, I might suffer through the rest of it.

The plot doesn't even make sense, the Red Faction are on earth and this group of nano-super soldiers, that you play one of, used to be under the employ of the despot you're now fighting. Your squad are guns for hire working for martian revolutionaries on earth? The nano-tech used to make these super soldiers was stolen from Ultor by the EDF? I think that they just ignored that this entire game happened when they made Guerrilla.

benjipwns

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Since I'm already a third of the way through it in little over an hour (!) going by the FAQ I glanced at, I might suffer through the rest of it.
It should be a BIT longer than that simply because there's some spots where you have to wait on stuff farther in.

Back in the day when GameTap was useful I played it out of curiosity since the first one was solid and the new one was coming out. I played for about two and a half or three hours when it randomly crashed trying to load the next level. I deleted it when the client came back up.

It's not that it's even out there awful (like a Shellshock 2 or something), it's just like depressingly average. It does a bunch of standard FPS stuff and once it does that stuff that's it. It's like they had a checklist, "raining battle on rooftops", "sewer level", "controlling a mech or other random vehicles part", etc. And once they had it, welp, done, move onto the next thing rather than make it something special or exciting.

That said, if I remember one part of the game it was the part in the subway with the trains. That was one instance where the game got two steps beyond average and towards something inventive. But of course like the rest of the game they did the barebones straight forward approach to it rather than making it into an interesting battle where you have to fight while avoiding the trains. IIRC, you don't even really fight enemies when having to avoid the trains, you only do when you get to stations.

The step back on the destruction is the greatest crime of all though.

Gassey

Banned
Got all excited when I saw Bulletstorm was US$29. Jumped onto Steam and saw that it's still a blistering US$69.99 in Australia.

Fuck you Epic, fuck you.

nyong

Banned
I don't know whether it's Steam or my service provider, but my download speeds have been increasingly nerfed over time. I started at 2MB/sec--super fast--then all of a sudden one day was capped at 250k. Like I literally couldn't break 250k, regardless of which server I was on. This was the norm for months. Now I'm capped at 125k. WTF is going on here?

biocat

Gassey said:
Got all excited when I saw Bulletstorm was US$29. Jumped onto Steam and saw that it's still a blistering US$69.99 in Australia.

Fuck you Epic, fuck you.
Get someone to gift it to you? Personally, I'd just wait for the next big sale. 50% off $30 is even better.

Gassey

Banned
biocat said:
Get someone to gift it to you? Personally, I'd just wait for the next big sale. 50% off $30 is even better.

I've had a few purchases on the list that have gotten an Aussie shafting. Half the time I get angry and just figure they don't deserve any of my money.

You're right though, I'll just wait until the end of the year and - for now - keep buying games with US/AUD price parity. (Deus Ex incoming!)

cicero

nyong said:
I don't know whether it's Steam or my service provider, but my download speeds have been increasingly nerfed over time. I started at 2MB/sec--super fast--then all of a sudden one day was capped at 250k. Like I literally couldn't break 250k, regardless of which server I was on. This was the norm for months. Now I'm capped at 125k. WTF is going on here?
Try changing your Download Region in your Steam settings.

bigace33

chixdiggit said:
Easily worth that. It just doesn't have a lot of replay value. As far as gaming moments it has several that will stick with me for a long time.

mbmonk

I have 3.5MB download internet connection and Steam maxes at 1.4MB. Really frustrating because I have a Steam content server in my town, Charlotte NC.

I tried a fresh install of Steam on a separate machine ( laptop ) hooked into my router with an ethernet cable and still was being limited at 1.4MB per second. I have tried various content servers in nearby cities and it's always the same 1.4MB max.

EDIT: I have adjusted my "Internet Connection" setting in Steam to Cable/Fiber.

Any suggestions?

biocat

Gassey said:
I've had a few purchases on the list that have gotten an Aussie shafting. Half the time I get angry and just figure they don't deserve any of my money.

You're right though, I'll just wait until the end of the year and - for now - keep buying games with US/AUD price parity. (Deus Ex incoming!)

Prices for me in Japan are pretty messed up as well. COD:Blops is $99.99, not that I wanted anyway. I just rely on the kindness of strangers when a good deal comes along.

mbmonk said:
I have 3.5MB download internet connection and Steam maxes at 1.4MB. Really frustrating because I have a Steam content server in my town, Charlotte NC.

I tried a fresh install of Steam on a separate machine ( laptop ) hooked into my router with an ethernet cable and still was being limited at 1.4MB per second. I have tried various content servers in nearby cities and it's always the same 1.4MB max.

Any suggestions?
That's me, only my connection maxes out at 1.1 MB. Feels bad, man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
biocat said:
Prices for me in Japan are pretty messed up as well. COD:Blops is $99.99, not that I wanted anyway. I just rely on the kindness of strangers when a good deal comes along.

Sometimes I wish Valve would release their own sales figures so dick-headed publishers would realise the Foreign Tax is fucking stupid.

Even then, I suppose, all we'd here is, "But that's Valve."

R2D4

Banned
mbmonk said:

Any suggestions?
just because you have a 3Mb connection doesnt mean you can download a file at that rate. Google how file transfers work.

Blizzard

Banned
R2D4 said:
just because you have a 3Mb connection doesnt mean you can download a file at that rate. Google how file transfers work.
Perhaps it's a stupid question, but do you mind explaining exactly what you mean? I pay for a cable connection that got upgraded to a 1.1 MB/s cap. As long as the server I'm downloading from is good enough, Steam downloads max out at 1.1 megabytes per second, because that's what the ISP limits them at. Why would I get less if the server can keep up?

Shambles said:
So I've been finally customizing a lot of the UIs on software that I frequently use in order to make things a lot more hassle free, something I should have done a long time ago. I'm looking online and in the client but I can't seem to find any options that actually terminate steam when I hit the X button in the top right like it should. I'm fine with certain programs presuming they want to be left open but only as long as the option is there to change the X button back to what it is normally used for. Is there any sort of hack or workaround to get the X button to actually close when I click close? A few extra clicks to actually close it in the tray isn't much extra work, but it does add up over time and I am trying to streamline my machine. Thanks for any help.
Dunno about the X button, but if select "Exit" from the "Steam" dropdown menu, it properly exits the whole client. Not quite as quick as just hitting the X, but it'll save you a few clicks versus digging it out of the system tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom