• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Your horses and colts need lots of care and that’s the way they recover their strengths.
Awesome. Remy, this is the perfect game for you to play since you got bored of Simplz Zoo!

The graphics look shiny. Truly a next-gen horse breeding simulator!

PaulLFC

Sort of interested in Darkspore but the average reviews are making me think I'll probably wait until it's under £10 - maybe in the Summer sale or the holiday sale.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
jaundicejuice said:
I seriously hate how Valve patches games. They don't diff and merge files, just replace them outright. First a 9gb patch for Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, now a 5gb patch for Section 8: Prejudice. I'm lucky I don't have bandwidth caps.
Hey, at least you know why it happens. You're not like "oh godammn Relic and their 9 gigabyte patches!". You, at least, know it's Steams fault. :D

amrod said:
Midweek Madness - Darkspore
Darkspore is now 40% off during Midweek Madness! Offer ends Thursday at 4pm PDT.

$29.99 USD

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99890/

4 PACK IS 40% off too

Probably not worth it. Darkspore is such an average, forgettable dungeon crawler and a misuse of Spore's creature creator. Basically someone else has already had all of the fun making the heroes and the most the user gets to do is snap on pieces of loot like it's a gi joe action figure. But you'll be rolling through so many heroes that even cursory customisation will seem kind of pointless. There are over 25 heroes to unlock, and a lot of them are only situationally useful.

There's no single player/offline mode. You always have to be online, even if you're just going on a dungeon crawl by yourself. Can't wait for EA to shut their servers off and make my copy useless. Easily my most regretted purchase of 2011.

Joe Molotov

LovingSteam said:
JoeMolotov will be on that like flies on crap. He may even force 10 copies on some innocent victims in this thread.

Pshh, I already have it. I tried to play it once too, but I couldn't figure out how to shoe my magical pony, so I gave up.

Free games, though, I'm definitely on that!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
amrod said:
wqv5eo.jpg

Alliance of Valiant Arms
http://store.steampowered.com/app/102700/

Forsaken World
http://store.steampowered.com/app/36620/

Spiral Knights
http://store.steampowered.com/app/99900/

Global Agenda: Free Agent
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17020/

Champions Online: Free for All
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9880/
Yes! Deleting and reinstalling Champions and Spiral Knights on steam right at this moment!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No reason to get Darkspore at all. I thought the 3 hero switching was neat to begin with, but after another hour or two. Novelty wears off and your left with a pretty bland experience.

Pick up one of the older Loot Whore games, or wait for the sequels(Diablo III, Torchlight II, or Grim Dawn)

PaulLFC

Do people automatically get the free games added to their list? Or has Spiral Knights been out for ages? Went to the store page, and apparently 20 of my friends already own it, even one of my friends who hasn't logged into Steam in about a year.

Edit: Just noticed they include Steam achievements too! Another reason to play them on Steam.

shintoki said:
No reason to get Darkspore at all. I thought the 3 hero switching was neat to begin with, but after another hour or two. Novelty wears off and your left with a pretty bland experience.

Pick up one of the older Loot Whore games, or wait for the sequels(Diablo III, Torchlight II, or Grim Dawn)

That which makes Darkspore kind of unique, switching heroes on the fly, is also what makes it kind of bland because you unlock and have to use so many different heroes as you progress through the game. Also some of the heroes fully customised look pretty stupid.

The rock/paper/scissor/lizard/Spock mechanic might have worked better if it was a little more limited and there were fewer heroes to roll through.

sk3tch

Terraria Group Buy

Info: http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

I've already purchased the $29.99 4-pack. Pay me via PayPal gift $7.50 and I will send your game to you. Please PM!

(just this repost and i'm done buggin you guys, thanks!)

EDIT: all slots are filled. thanks for your interest. if i get any extra folks interested i will pool you guys together so maybe another group buy can be formed asap. thanks!

Forkball

I'm so tempted to gift that horse game to random people but I think I'll hold off. Cool news about the free games though. I used to play Spiral Knights but I really didn't like how quickly you could burn through your energy that caused you to wait until the next day to play again.

Also Darkspore bomba!

Joe Molotov

3chopl0x said:
Oh wow, the in game transactions are done using the Steam Wallet feature.

You can log in using your Steam account too, instead of having to create a new account for the game. Oh Gabe, you sly old fox.

Btw, I'm Molotasia in Spiral Knights

jaundicejuice said:
I seriously hate how Valve patches games. They don't diff and merge files, just replace them outright. First a 9gb patch for Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, now a 5gb patch for Section 8: Prejudice. I'm lucky I don't have bandwidth caps.

The latest beta includes new code for binary patches. It's not fully implemented yet, but Steam will no longer replace whole files once it has been implemented.

I'm getting kind of sick of Steam taking up the best part of 200mb of ram, and the windows freezing up on me for chat. Stop adding features when the current version isn't stable.

PaulLFC

crimsonheadGCN said:
The latest beta includes new code for binary patches. It's not fully implemented yet, but Steam will no longer replace whole files once it has been implemented.

Awesome. Valve is gradually fixing pretty much every problem people have with Steam, this while adding new products and features like the f2p games.

Echoplx

Visualante said:
I'm getting kind of sick of Steam taking up the best part of 200mb of ram, and the windows freezing up on me for chat. Stop adding features when the current version isn't stable.

Huh

J269R.png

Blizzard

Banned
Visualante said:
How much RAM do you have? Steam requires a minimum of 16GB, but you should really be running 32GB these days, psh.

I'm kidding, but I don't think I've had chat windows freeze on me. How much do you have?

3chopl0x said:
Which column are you looking at? There should be multiple columns you can enable showing different values. Once upon a time I probably even looked up the difference between them, but that was centuries ago.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
3chopl0x said:
He's not wrong, Steam baloons up with time:

26O1L.jpg

That's on a 23 hours uptime.

I very rarely have any sort of sluggishness from the Steam interface. And when I do, it quickly gets solved after the storefront fist loads up.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
3chopl0x said:
Mine is also 200mb when loaded but it goes down to 10mb when minimize to tray ;)
Wait, what?

H6hkj.jpg

Damn, you're right. I've never noticed that. Oh, those clever valve people. That explains why it's sometimes slow to come back up from when it's minimized.

Haha what is this daily deal? Secret of the Magic Crystals? Oh my god. Who would buy that. It looks so stupid. What is it even. I'll just click on it to read the description...

"You already own Secret of the Magic Crystals"

gOHK6.jpg

New Release – Two Worlds II Castle Defense! 20% Off!
Product Release - Valve

Two Worlds II Castle Defense is now available on Steam for both PC and Mac and is 20% off until June 21st 10AM Pacific Time.

Utilize the opportunity to slip into the role of the Emperor Gandohar and his henchman Sordahon! These villains from the "Two Worlds" universe are now playable for the first time ever in this strategy game, thus opening an entirely new perspective into the vast world of Antaloor.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5658/

nexen said:
My 4 year old daughter loved it.

edit: OH GOD IF THEY ADD STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS TO LOTRO I AM IN TROUBLE.

Steam Achievements are nothing. The real killer is WoW-type achievements with titles, mounts, pets, or other things associated with them as rewards.

And in regards to EVE being on sale before on Steam: Besides the price advantage, this edition seems like a pretty good deal as it comes with a bonus implant that speeds up things for new characters. Amazon has it cheaper than the msrp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom