• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

The Broken Ska Record said:
Oh yea. I also bought Psychonauts for $2 despite owning the PC version, when it came out, and the Xbox version a few years later.

Ah yes, $2 for that was also a great deal!

jling84 said:
How come? I'm still new to this and I haven't experienced my first major Steam sale yet. The only thing I got on sale was ME2 a month or so back. I hope Steam makes my first major sale memorable when the summer sale starts!!
Nobody knows what the daily deals for sales will be. Instead of purchasing for example Mass Effect 2 for $20 on the first day with a regular discount, you can always hold out for a potential daily sale with a further discount saving even more money. If the daily sale doesn't occur, just pick it up with a regular discount on the final day

jling84 said:
How come? I'm still new to this and I haven't experienced my first major Steam sale yet. The only thing I got on sale was ME2 a month or so back. I hope Steam makes my first major sale memorable when the summer sale starts!!
When a big sale hits, there are deals flying all over the place. Bundles, complete packs, you name it. The ones you want to keep an eye on, however, are daily deals. Special 24 hr offers that usually have the heaviest pricecuts. That's when you usually pull the trigger on games. If the game you want is discounted (say, 30% off) but not enough to make you pick it up, you wait for it to go on a daily deal. If it never shows up, you can always (usually) pick it up on the very last day of the sale, or wait for the next big sale.

Jomjom

Banned
Narag said:
Item might be discounted heavier on a different day and you won't receive the difference so you should only buy something that hadn't been a daily sale on the last day when you're 100% sure it won't go lower.

Ah I see. So I'm assuming that prices don't ever go higher during a multi-day sale, only lower?

Zimbardo

a nice little deal that i got was Devil May Cry 4 @ $4.99 last Xmas.

it was apparently a mistake, and about an hour later the sale price was raised to $9.99, i believe.

so i guess the moral of the story is, don't wait around on a deal. if you see a deal you like, pull the trigger.

coopolon

SalsaShark said:
people are just daydreaming now..

GTAIV complete will probably go even lower than that. As for the rest? good luck. All i see is EA games there, and EA isnt too fond of Steam.

Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 have already hit those price points on non-Steam platforms, so I don't see it as inconceivable that they'll start getting to Steam now as well. I don't think Witcher 2 is going below $30 though.

My wishlist is Bulletstorm for $20 (which is only 33% off, so maybe even less) and NV for less than $20.

Best Bargain

Bloodlines at 9.99 bitches!

Pfft, I got it for $8.50 3 months ago.

Purely by hours spent, Defense Grid was easily the best purchase I ever made. $5 for at least 100 hours by now. Then 8 new maps for $0.50 each.

coopolon said:
Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 have already hit those price points on non-Steam platforms, so I don't see it as inconceivable that they'll start getting to Steam now as well.

The point is EA is trying to encourage people to buy from their store instead of Steam, so they almost certainly won't be offering lower prices than they have on other services.

I bought Dead Space 2 for $12.98 at Gamersgate last week, I'll bet it won't be cheaper on Steam for the summer sale.

Zzoram

I'm looking for The Witcher 2 for $37.49 or less. I still don't have time to play it but I imagine whatever it goes on sale for this summer will be as low as it goes for a year.

Zzoram said:
I'm looking for The Witcher 2 for $37.49 or less. I still don't have time to play it but I imagine whatever it goes on sale for this summer will be as low as it goes for a year.
$37.49 is oddly specific. Anyway, I wager it'd go lower than the Summer Sale during the Winter Sale.

bender

What time is it?
I'm hoping for The Whispered World and Jamestown. Otherwise I'm fairly current with what I want from the Steam catalog (until pre-orders go up for TrackMania, Torchlight 2 and Battlefield 3). I guess that's the nice thing about being with the service from the beginning and surviving all of these crazy sales. These threads make me feel better about owning 200 games. My eyes almost popped out when I saw speculawyer had 600 games.

coopolon

faceless007 said:
The point is EA is trying to encourage people to buy from their store instead of Steam, so they almost certainly won't be offering lower prices than they have on other services.

I bought Dead Space 2 for $12.98 at Gamersgate last week, I'll bet it won't be cheaper on Steam for the summer sale.

EA typically offers pretty good deals on Steam, just much later than they offered them elsewhere (with normally the very first place they offer great deals is via their facebook deals for the EA store.) They even had an EA week on Steam not that long ago where they were offering pretty good deals that they didn't match on their own store (although most of the sales on Steam had already shown up for a limited time on other places.)

So since both Crysis 2 and Dead Space have seen pretty significant sales elsewhere in the last month or two, it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing good sales on Steam now to get those people who won't buy anywhere else.

Salsa

coopolon said:
Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 have already hit those price points on non-Steam platforms, so I don't see it as inconceivable that they'll start getting to Steam now as well.

Because of this part of my post:

SalsaShark said:
and EA isnt too fond of Steam.

There will be EA sales and they will probably be good to a point, but they wont hit the price mark some people here are asking for.

I'm sure it's more jealousy than anything. If they really didn't like Steam, they wouldn't have anything available for download on the service.
Well, they're not stupid. They can't just ignore something as big as Steam.

Shaneus

Shaneus said:
So I've just received a new subnotebook... what's the deal with sharing accounts between PCs? As long as only one is online at any one time it's okay? Keen to get some portable gaming happening on it, but don't want to do anything that Valve/Steam doesn't like.
Just going to be a complete rude-arse and quote myself. Any input, folks?

Narag

Shaneus said:

Can I use my Steam account on other computers?

You may use your Steam account on any machine which can connect to the Steam network - Steam allows you to download and install any games registered to your account as soon as you log in.

Can multiple users play simultaneously on one Steam account?

Steam does not support multiple players using one Steam account simultaneously - games associated with a Steam account are licensed for the sole use of the account holder.
If multiple users attempt to log in and play simultaneously with one Steam account, the user who logged in first will eventually receive an "Invalid Steam UserID Ticket" error message and be forced to log back in to continue playing (if the first user logs back in, the second user will receive this error message).
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8963-EIKC-3767#simultaneous

Shaneus said:
Wow, that's rude. :p

Yeah, I have Steam both on my desktop and netbook (the latter can only run old-ass games, but it's nice to have them there). No problems whatsoever.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jamestown is pretty damn neat. I was wary of it, Western-made shmup and all, but yeah. They're clearly fans of the genre. Good stuff.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Out of the 180+ games I have on Steam, I think I paid full price for less than 10 of them. Love Steam sales, and especially bundles.

Shaneus

Alien Bob said:
Out of the 180+ games I have on Steam, I think I paid full price for less than 10 of them. Love Steam sales, and especially bundles.
Roughly the same number on both counts. My brother gifted me Dirt 3 at full price (he's a nice guy) but other than that, the only one I can remember shelling out the full amount for was Dead Rising 2.

Wait till you hit your first major Steam sale. D:
I_am_ready.jpg

my wallet will hurt all over, but that's another matter

SmokyDave

Salazar said:
My first time in this wonderland.

Can't wait. This shit is so convenient.
Your first major Steam sale will feel like a sexy mugging.

Add me: Smokiestdave. I'll antagonistically gift you Railworks DLC.

IrishNinja

oh, we're doing wishlists?!

Vampire: bloodlines for 19.98 or less
dreamfall
witcher 2 for $30 or less (shut up, tokus)
fallout NV for $20 or so?
fallout 1/2
psychonauts
gun
jade empire
ghostbusters
sonic all-stars racing
lost horizon
ME 1 for super-cheap
maybe the graveyard/samorost 2

i dont expect to see much of this, so ill likely just end up buying vampire and witcher 2 at the sale's end. win/win either way.

confused

Banned
Best deal I got was Eidos complete for $50

Most of the games i want are $50, so they'l have to wait till the X-mas sale. What i hope from the summer sale :

Wolfenstein $10
Singularity $10
Ninja Blade $5
Bionic Commando $5
Street Figher 4 $7.5
Medal of Honor $10
Hot Pursuit $10
War for Cybertron $10

And lots of indie/downloadable stuffz.

Seen as it's tuesday I guess the summer sale starts next monday ? Would be awesome as I'm broke this week, but get paid on friday.

Ashour

I don't think I ever bought a game full price on PC. my backlog is so huge, by the time I want to play a game it will already be on sale.

Lumine

Wishlists huh?

Personally I'd love to see some older titles get some summer discount love.

Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples 2 Gold ~ $5
Heroes Pack (Heroes of Might & Magic 5 + Expansions + Dark Messiah) ~ $10
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum ~ $5
Fallout Collection (1 & 2)~ $5

There's probably plenty more. I'd also like to pick up some indie games like Terraria, Magicka and Defence Grid.
We'll see how far some of the newer games will drop in price for the summer sale. Like the poster above me said, my backlog is so big I have no problem being patient. :p
Oh, except for Dawn of War 2: Retribution. I hope that gets a sale so I can finally pick it up.

Salazar

I want some simulator stuff to go cheap.

Also, anything mad and open-worldy. I am having a goddamn blast just mountain biking around in ArmA 2.

cicero

I hope for...

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - $7.50 (Was $8.48 on direct2drive last month)
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - $10 :eek:
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition - $10 :D
The Sherlock Holmes Collection - $15 (I believe it was this low during last Christmas)
Elven Legacy Collection - $5 (Was like $3 on I think Beamdog or GMG a few weeks ago)
Risen - $7.50ish
Dawn of War - Platinum Edition - $5 to $7.50
Ninja Blade - $5 to $7.50
Darksiders - $7.50
Devil May Cry 3 & 4 - $5 to $7.50 each (Capcom, so not likely, but still..)
Depths of Peril - $7.50
Drakensang: The River of Time - $7.50ish
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit - $10
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword - $7.50
Magicka DLC 50% off
Fallout: New Vegas DLC 50% off
New $5 Indie packs

Darklord said:
Why are people always wishing Vampire: bloodlines would go on sale? It's less than $20, buy the damn game you cheap arses.

Why, spending $20 on a quality PC game is almost worse than spending more than 0.99 cents on a good iPhone game.

Darklord said:
Why are people always wishing Vampire: bloodlines would go on sale? It's less than $20, buy the damn game you cheap arses.
Troika is dead. Activision don't deserve the money after rushing out everyone of their releases out the door and fucking over Troika in general.

Ashour

Darklord said:
I do this for all games because I have a lot to play and so little time to play it. so unless there's a reason to add more games to the backlog (like sales), I just wait.

It's not like they're going out of print or anything :)

hamchan

Darklord said:

Why the heck would I buy a non discounted game when I can wait for a steam sale?

It's been so long anyways, it would be a shame to cave in now and then have the game be discounted the next week.

elektrixx

Banned
I want Simcity 4 and Terraria discounted. That will do me for now.

Actually I want Half-Life Source for $1 as well. I still don't own that.

SmokyDave

elektrixx said:
I want Simcity 4 and Terraria discounted. That will do me for now.

Actually I want Half-Life Source for $1 as well. I still don't own that.
Really?

I mean, each to his own but it's £5.99 and offers hours upon hours of gameplay (40 and counting for me), do you really need it to be cheaper? It's only been out for about two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom