• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
I know we were just talking about the shortcomings of Origin but just a heads up, tomorrow if EA's special deal gets 500 likes by 11am pst they will have both Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm for 60% off which would bring them to $12.00 each.

Dead Space 2 has already hit $12, but I think the cheapest Bulletstorm has been so far is $20. $12 will be an amazing price so I will be liking it (with my fake facebook account for all these stupid marketing ploys.)

Salsa

Orellio said:
Well I wouldn't have bolded it personally, but you already went to the trouble and it was right there soo...

hahahha i meant from the fact that i wont believe it until i see it, but still :p

Salsa

confused said:
Yet you made a totally new thread about it ??

oh ffs relax. Thankfully there's a huge place called the internet where there's enough place to post threads that you dont give a shit about

I made it more than clear in the thread that people shouldnt take it as a confirmation at all. Its just the fact that some people were about to bite the bullet and get the game on Origin even when they would prefer to have it on Steam. Kirby's post was a small snip in a big ongoing thread and some people could have missed it. Just trying to help smart guy.

desu

LovingSteam said:
I know we were just talking about the shortcomings of Origin but just a heads up, tomorrow if EA's special deal gets 500 likes by 11am pst they will have both Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm for 60% off which would bring them to $12.00 each.

Kickass price, would buy it in an instant on steam :s.

Volcynika

Orellio said:
My thoughts precisely.

Hopefully the original is included/purchasable as well.

They announced a long time ago that the original would only be in the complete collection exclusive to the EA store. Didn't see it on any other DD sites, so I really doubt it. D:

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LovingSteam said:
Oh snap
25spudc.jpg

August is too far away. ;_;

1-D_FTW

The Razer Hydra is now available through Steam and Razer's website for 139.99. Talk about a half-assed way to launch it. Yeah, let's miss the Portal 2 launch and then force bundle the game for an extra 40 dollars even though most people have already bought it.

1-D_FTW

MRORANGE said:
Will wait for summer sale to get this.

I wish. I doubt it'll go on sale since they just released it.

I could maybe even stomach the price if I hadn't just bought the stupid Onza, but I was without a functioning controller for a couple months and gave up hope the thing was coming any time soon. That was 50 bucks and pretty much redundant with the Hydra (since I prefer two handed controllers anyways.)

plc268

Any idea what could be causing this error?

ZcOhT.jpg

I only have this problem with that game, every other game works fine. I've restarted steam, changed download regions, deleted clientregistry.blob, and redownloaded game files... and it still doesn't work.

Never had this problem before.

Edit: nevermind, I verified the integrity of the files, and it worked after that. Weird because I redownloaded the game files twice, and it didn't work before that. Oh well... works now though.

Sanic

Princess Skittles said:
I think A.R.E.S. and Capsized (both in the weekend deal) might be as well.

I initially thought they both were as well, but neither of them actually are, which got me wondering if there were any on the service.

I'll check out Aquaria, thanks.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
animlboogy said:
I would say that of all those listed, Aquaria is the most like Metroid. But the best game that has especially the -vania side down is Terraria. By reputation it's a Minecraft like, but the gameplay leans much further towards a Metroidvania. I'd go as far as saying it's the best Metroidvania-like game in recent years on any platform.
Except Terraria has rather bland and mundane gameplay and is more focused on being a building tool.

It's like saying Little Big Planet is the best platformer in recent times.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SalsaShark said:
Turns out i cant even buy anything from the Origin store because im in South America. I expected as much but decided to try it, yep.

lol EA
Th fact that it defaults to the Spain site, and doesn't allow me to change it really, really pisses me off D:

Princess Skittles said:
Aquaria.

I think A.R.E.S. and Capsized (both in the weekend deal) might be as well.

Don't know about capsized, but ARES is actually linear, even though the levels have some of the Metroid feel to them.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Pandoracell said:
I initially thought they both were as well, but neither of them actually are, which got me wondering if there were any on the service.

I'll check out Aquaria, thanks.
Ah, thanks for the heads up, I'm still checking both of them out though.

But yeah, Aquaria fits the bill to a tee.

Pandoracell said:
Are there any Metroidvanias on Steam?
When I asked the same question a few pages back, someone kindly pointed me to Dark Void Zero, I haven't bought it yet but it seems to definitely fit the bill.
I had no idea it existed before it was pointed out to me.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Palette Swap said:
When I asked the same question a few pages back, someone kindly pointed me to Dark Void Zero, I haven't bought it yet but it seems to definitely fit the bill.
I had no idea it existed before it was pointed out to me.
Dark Void Zero has large open levels, but it's three linear levels. There's some back and forth in the levels themselves but it is basically, finding a key or pressing a switch to open up another section of the level. There is no ability progression. I would not compare it to Metroid, personally.

But.. it IS an awesome game! I loved it on DSi. I will double dip on the Steam version on sale for the extras (and cheese mints, naturally).

Princess Skittles said:
Dark Void Zero has large open levels, but it's three linear levels. There's some back and forth in the levels themselves but it is basically, finding a key or pressing a switch to open up another section of the level. There is no ability progression. I would not compare it to Metroid, personally.

But.. it IS an awesome game! I loved it on DSi. I will double dip on the Steam version on sale for the extras (and cheese mints, naturally).
I was waiting for a sale too, I'll get it then.

So, we're left with basically Aquaria and that's all?
Terraria to some extent and someone will probably pop in to suggest Arkham Asylum but Aquaria is the only Metroidvania on Steam ? (the way Shadow Complex is a Metroidvania for instance)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Palette Swap said:

Terraria to some extent and someone will probably pop in to suggest Arkham Asylum but Aquaria is the only Metroidvania on Steam ? (the way Shadow Complex is a Metroidvania for instance)
If you don't have it on DSi, I'd say it's well worth it's $4.99 price.

Steam is so robust, I would not be shocked to find there's another game hiding in there, but from what I know Aquaria seems like the lone standout in the pure Metroid/Shadow Complex style gameplay and progression.

Now.. if you look outside of Steam.. that's a different story.

reposting for the non-night dwellers

A long shot but, Will someone be willing to gift me both indie packs and Fear collection in exchange for a Brink steam key?

30$ for a $50 game.

PM me if interested

Palette Swap said:

I should presume you've already played Cave Story. It's not on Steam, but if you're looking for a game of that style, it'd be a shame if you somehow haven't played it, yet.

gdt

Hmm, thinking up picking up either the Indie Variety or Action pack. Which is better? How are those games?

Edit: Looking at the info, I think the Variety pack up more up my alley. How are those games?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ARES and Capsized are C tier platformers that are kinda fun.
Swords and Soldier's is babby's first RTS which is great since I suck at real RTS
Atom Zombie Smasher is an awesome twist on tower defense, but hard as fuck.
Machinarium is an awesome point and click adventure game.

I already owned Machinarium, but the other 4 games for $10 was a good deal.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The Variety Pack is the one I'm eying as well.

C-Tier? That seems to sound negative, but I'm not sure that was your intent. Both look pretty good for indie games.

coopolon said:
The insider deals are always US only anyway.
Silly pubs. Essentially they're saying no to more money. It's not like I or anyone else halfway savvy is going to give in and drop $80 when other people are paying a 1/6 of that.

eznark

Banned
DarkChronic said:
Machinarium really makes me want to try some other point and click adventures. What are some of Steam's best?

Back to the Future is a blast. If you want something cheap and quick, Hector Ep 1 is a lot of fun.

MacGurcules said:
I should presume you've already played Cave Story. It's not on Steam, but if you're looking for a game of that style, it'd be a shame if you somehow haven't played it, yet.
I've already played it on various platforms and love it but thanks for the tip, this one deserves all the love it can get.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
I find that the big icon view leads to me staring at my collection rather than playing it.

I'm obliged to view all the icons before I can load a game in this viewing mode so I try not to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom