• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Solar 2 looks nice. Impressions would be awesome if anyone bought it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Foliorum Viridum said:
The fact Alice is available leaves me hope for EA's future on Steam.
Well, it's lacking achievements that the consoles version already have (and that the Origin version will *probably* have once they've implemented that feature over there) and the original game is missing from Steam.

But, I could be in the minority in thinking that those are important in deciding where I'd buy the game from.

Princess Skittles said:
Well, it's lacking achievements that the consoles version already have (and that the Origin version will *probably* have once they've implemented that feature over there) and the original game is missing from Steam.

But, I could be in the minority in thinking that those are important in deciding where I'd buy the game from.
Oh, no, missing features is bullshit, but... I like my games on Steam, and I'm mostly thinking of BF3's release, so the fact it's on there at all is a good thing at the moment.

stuminus3

Princess Skittles said:
The original game is now missing from Origin, too. The only way to get it on PC was to buy it as part of the "complete collection" offer that has now expired, there was never any way to buy it separately.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
stuminus3 said:
The original game is now missing from Origin, too. The only way to get it on PC was to buy it as part of the "complete collection" offer that has now expired, there was never any way to buy it separately.
The original game was always a exclusive feature of the game for the special preorder that was only available on origin.com - that much was said when it was announced that the "buy the game new and get this, otherwise you'll have to pay for it separately" movement for Alice was the old game.

tl;dr: The original version of Alice was not going to be a part of the Alice pack on Steam from the very start. The Crytek thing has nothing to do with it.

stuminus3

drizzle said:
tl;dr: The original version of Alice was not going to be a part of the Alice pack on Steam from the very start. The Crytek thing has nothing to do with it.
Yes I know, that's the point I was making. ^_^

leadbelly

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
It was never on Steam in any region till today.

Okay. I wasn't interested with it to begin with, so I had no idea either way. I have heard it said that it was never available on Steam, and funnily enough, even claimed as such on Steam forums. I read a post on Steam forums though that led me to believe that perhaps it was at some point. At least in one region anyway.

I guess not then. :/

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
stuminus3 said:
Which is bonkers because as far as I know, you can get it on the console versions indefinitely.. either free by buying the sequel new or by paying $10.

It's, kind of min boggling how they're handling this.. well, the distribution of the original game, at least.

Volcynika

Princess Skittles said:
Which is bonkers because as far as I know, you can get it on the console versions indefinitely.. either free by buying the sequel new or by paying $10.

It's, kind of min boggling how they're handling this.. well, the distribution of the original game, at least.

The crappy part of the original on consoles is that you have to have the sequel to even play it. It's not a separate game, just listed as an add-on. I am disappoint.

Tokubetsu said:
What are the odds of having decent amount off on EA games next sale? What with this whole falling out thing.
If they're still doing business with Valve you gotta imagine they're willing to play ball, because nothing pulls in money like a Steam sale.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Volcynika said:
The crappy part of the original on consoles is that you have to have the sequel to even play it. It's not a separate game, just listed as an add-on. I am disappoint.
Really? You can't launch it separate from say, XBLA? Geez.

Tokubetsu said:
What are the odds of having decent amount off on EA games next sale? What with this whole falling out thing.
There was a week long EA sale on Steam just about a month ago.

coopolon

Tokubetsu said:

EA has always been pretty well represented in their seasonal sales. I'm pretty sure EA was already actively working against Steam last Xmas and they still had some decent sales. And of course just earlier this year they had an entire EA week with lots of good EA sales. So I'd say there's a pretty good chance you'll see some good sales on EA games, just not Crysis 2.

Volcynika

Princess Skittles said:
Really? You can't launch it separate from say, XBLA? Geez.

There was a week long EA sale on Steam just about a month ago.

I think the reason (at least partial) for that is that to get a Platinum trophy/max gamerscore or whatever on Madness Returns, there are like 4 or so achievements specific to the original Alice game. Still they could've made it available to people that don't own the sequel. :/

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
StuBurns said:
So what's the chance L4D2 will be cheaper during the summer sale?
I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper. 75% maybe? Or as part of the Steam Complete Pack. Though I'm no Steam Sale expert (yet).

Even still, getting in on a Four Pack is pretty much what the game would be at 75% off.

Volcynika

StuBurns said:
So what's the chance L4D2 will be cheaper during the summer sale?

The same chance as some other games. Or maybe a different chance.

(This is no offense to you, but these questions seem silly, since obviously no one knows. But L4D2 has been on sale a good bit in the past).

StuBurns

Banned
Volcynika said:
The same chance as some other games. Or maybe a different chance.

(This is no offense to you, but these questions seem silly, since obviously no one knows. But L4D2 has been on sale a good bit in the past).
I disagree it's silly, if for example all Valve games always go on sale during the summer sale, and the lowest it's been previously is lower than this, then it's worth knowing. Or if the same game is never on sale twice within such a short time. There's loads of ways people could know if it's likely or not.

Thanks the responses though guys.

StuBurns said:
I disagree it's silly, if for example all Valve games always go on sale during the summer sale, and the lowest it's been previously is lower than this, then it's worth knowing. Or if the same game is never on sale twice within such a short time. There's loads of ways people could know if it's likely or not.

It's been on sale multiple times, with a 75% discount a couple of times (for one copy). 75% off for L4D2 during the summer sale is very likely.

kswiston

StuBurns said:

I've seen L4D2 at 66% off before. It may have been 75% off once. But the difference is less than $2. If this is an impulse buy and the game will sit in your backlog for a year, wait. If you have been waiting for a sale to jump in, go for it. 66% off is pretty good.

StuBurns

Banned
kswiston said:
I've seen L4D2 at 66% off before. It may have been 75% off once. But the difference is less than $2. If this is an impulse buy and the game will sit in your backlog for a year, wait. If you have been waiting for a sale to jump in, go for it. 66% off is pretty good.
I don't really care about the difference, I was just wondering, I bought it. Thanks for the replies though.

Sanic

I'm hoping to get l4d1 for $2.50 during the summer sale but I'm not sure if that's reasonable. $5 feels like a lock, but lower would be great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LovingSteam said:
Who here took advantage of the EA sale? I am really tempted to even though I hate Origin at this point. Decisions decisions.

true / false
1. I have games to play right now
2. I have better games than Bulletstorm to play right now.
3. Bulletstorm will continue to go on sale, including on Steam.
4. There will be a Steam summer sale shortly.
5. If Bulletstorm's MSRP changes, it will lower rather than rise

5/5. So, no, I didn't take advantage :p

markot

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
true / false
1. I have games to play right now
2. I have better games than Bulletstorm to play right now.
3. Bulletstorm will continue to go on sale, including on Steam.
4. There will be a Steam summer sale shortly.
5. If Bulletstorm's MSRP changes, it will lower rather than rise

5/5. So, no, I didn't take advantage :p
You forgot

6. Uses GFWL so I can wait an eternity >.<

Already own Bulletstorm but I almost bought the Alice complete pack off of Origin. The problem is some of the language in their Terms of Service is vague and sketchy. That and, well, it's EA. I bought a physical copy of the game at a brick n' mortar. The most I'll likely use Origin for is to avoid disc checks for the games I can actually add to the client.

Fun fact: I registered my physical copy of Alice with my Origin client after installing, alongside my lonely and used copy of Darkspore, and the game would crash every time I attempted to launch the game from Origin. You would hear the sound of the EA logo briefly but the screen would simply go black and freezer.

When I launched the game via the executable, it worked. When I added the executable to my Steam client as a Non-Steam game, it worked. GG EA.

Mimir

jaundicejuice said:
Fun fact: I registered my physical copy of Alice with my Origin client after installing, alongside my lonely and used copy of Darkspore, and the game would crash every time I attempted to launch the game from Origin. You would hear the sound of the EA logo briefly but the screen would simply go black and freezer.
This was happening to me, but restarting my computer fixed the issue.

bedlamite

Volcynika said:
It's the same on the PC. Quitting Alice 1 throws you back into Darkness Returns, which as you can imagine, is pretty fucking annoying.

Burekma

markot said:
You forgot

Works for Bulletstorm, won't work for Batman: Arkham City :(

I guess we'll have to cross our fingers and hope no saves get corrupted this time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
markot said:

I actually didn't know it was GFWL but yes as long as the Live Essentials SMB Share bug persists on any device I own I can't buy or play GFWL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom