• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

KrayzeeGloo said:
Well, the Dungeon Siege 3 and F.3.A.R. massive banners are gone. Could this mean that...that the preparation has begun?! :D

They usually only give Steamworks titles a day up there.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Nabs said:
They usually only give Steamworks titles a day up there.

This one seemed to linger for quite a bit longer than a day and seemed to get taken down at just the right time. Maybe I'm just far too delusional from the complete lack of sleep this past night, but hey, can't blame me for bein' hopeful!

Sanic

71 games on my wishlist, and i'm currently sitting at 90 games owned. Let's see if that tips over 100 during the sale.

edit: would post my list but my profile is private. No fun, I know :(.

Coldsnap said:
Why are people talking about wishlists? This is my first year with a really nice PC
I'm guessing you haven't read The Secret. No, of course you haven't, otherwise you would have had a nice PC like everyone else a while ago.

StuBurns said:
Crysis 2? Good luck with that.

As long as it remains in our wishlists hearts there's a chance that Based Gabe may smile on the dissenters known as EA and welcome back Crysis 2 to the warm, supple embrace 'neath Steam's rich bosom.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't use the Wishlist because it doesn't really do anything, but I currently want:

Alice Madness Returns - Was going to get it on console, but I think it'd benefit more than most from 60fps, and I played the original, so it seems PCish to me.
Bully - I played it on PS2 when it came out, but I just want it in case I ever go back.
Counter-Strike Source w/ Garry's Mod - I'll probably never really play it, but I want it in case.
Crysis Warhead - I've played it thru a couple of times on my mate's machine, but I don't own, so I should buy it, if I ever replay it or not.
Duke Nukem Forever - I need to complete it, and on PC. I know it's shit.
GTA San Andreas - I probably put a hundred hours into GTA3/VC/4, and like five into SA, and everyone tells me it's the best one, so I want to give it another go.
Mass Effect 1 & 2 - Finished ME1 on 360, not played much of ME2, but ME1 is reportedly massively better on PC, so I'm going to wait till all three are out with all their DLC and play them all on PC. It's unlikely I'll buy either during this sale, unless they're really cheap.
Mirror's Edge - Just to own it on Steam, I've played it a lot already, but I could see me playing it a lot more at some point.
Splinter Cell Conviction - Only played the demo, I liked what I saw, I didn't think the older SCs were particularly good.
The Last Remnant - Played a few hours on 360 and didn't like it, but a few GAFfers have told me it's awesome on PC.

If they're all cheap I'll buy them all, but I'm probably just going to get something if it's really cheap, I'm in no rush for any of these really. Maybe Alice, but the rest I don't care about.

I could have just made a wishlist in how long it took to make this post.

Coldsnap

Of All Trades said:
I'm guessing you haven't read The Secret. No, of course you haven't, otherwise you would have had a nice PC like everyone else a while ago.

I still wouldn't read the secret if it game me a pc for freeeeeee

gdt

Umm, why is Dues Ex, that I just bought from Gamer's Gate, asking me to insert my CD. I won't start without it...

I guess that Unreal update forces the game to ask for a CD? Fuck. (read the FAQ on GG)

The Steam wishlist has morphed into my primary way to plot out what games I want to buy in the future/near future.

Stuff past number 10 or so are older games that I still want.... and just being on the wishlist lets me know when games go on sale.

It's like the staging area ready to be moved into my Library in detail view.

Highly valued feature for me.

StuBurns said:
I don't use the Wishlist because it doesn't really do anything, but I currently want:
Bully - I played it on PS2 when it came out, but I just want it in case I ever go back.
GTA San Andreas - I probably put a hundred hours into GTA3/VC/4, and like five into SA, and everyone tells me it's the best one, so I want to give it another go.

These are 75% off at the GFW marketplace. If you have some unused MS points knocking around, it's probably a good way of getting them.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
StuBurns said:
The Last Remnant - Played a few hours on 360 and didn't like it, but a few GAFfers have told me it's awesome on PC.
Having read up on this yesterday, the game isn't fundamentally different, if you didn't like it on the 360, you probably won't like it on the PC.

The PC version does have dozens of minor improvements though, so it is considered a superior version, but it doesn't "change" the game.

zero margin said:
What's a good controller to get for PC? Certain things like RC chopper mission in vice city are stupid hard on m/kb. Wired 360 still?
Do you have a 360 controller or a Dualshock lying around at home?

Edit: I currently have 25 games on my wishlist. Whenever I see a game that I want to play, but am unwilling to pay full price for, I add it to the list. For instance, I'll get Dragon Age II when it's $10 or less.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
zero margin said:
What's a good controller to get for PC? Certain things like RC chopper mission in vice city are stupid hard on m/kb. Wired 360 still?
Wired 360 is the best for most stuff.. if you can still find one, a USB Saturn pad to use as an alternate gives you the best of both worlds (digital/analog).

Honestly, I only really want Wolfenstein, the one that came out a few years ago. It hasn't been on sale for over a year to my knowledge and it's still $40.

Apart from that I have so many games in my backlog that when I have time to play any summer sale games they will probably be even cheaper for the winter sale.

Stuff will have to be extra super cheap for me to pick it up at this point.

StuBurns

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
These are 75% off at the GFW marketplace. If you have some unused MS points knocking around, it's probably a good way of getting them.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Princess Skittles said:
Having read up on this yesterday, the game isn't fundamentally different, if you didn't like it on the 360, you probably won't like it on the PC.

The PC version does have dozens of minor improvements though, so it is considered a superior version, but it doesn't "change" the game.
I suspected as much. I'll only grab it if it's very cheap, but I don't have high hopes for it anyway.

Here is something Valve should think about incorporating. A community based pricing program. There is a company that deals in digital theology books (LOGOS) that does it and it seems to be quite successful.

Basically Valve chooses a game that people have on their wish list. Give a period of one week to have people vote on the maximum they'd pay for it. The avg price is what they will put it on sale for. Now you can do a minimum as well. So for Brotherhood you can have 'minimum 10' or whatever.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Quick question, for these types of mega Summer/Christmas Steam Sales are they still per day? I ask because I don't think I can access everything to buy something while I'm at work (maybe on my iPhone?), so if there are like, hourly deals or something like that, I'd probably miss out on some stuff.

epmode

gdt5016 said:
How do I install this mod?

Also, is the game up to date coming for Gamer's Gate? Or do I have to look for some patches/bug fixes?
Installation instructions are in the page I linked. ctrl-f installation

I'd be surprised if Gamersgate wasn't already running the latest official patch so I doubt you'll need anything like that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
scorpscarx said:
E.T.A. 1 hour 18 minutes, bring it on Steam.

Sigh I'm calling it, no sale until monday and if there's no sale on monday we won't be getting a sale.

snoopeasystreet said:

That was brilliant, I had over 1000 MS bucks and got for GTA:SA for 300 of them. Thanks.

Ramma2 said:
Is this for real, summer sale starting at noon?

No part of me is ready.

Expected time but I'm obviously not confirming it, sorry if you think that lol./

It's when the dailies change and midweek/weekend deals are announced so something will be coming then.

gdt

epmode said:
Installation instructions are in the page I linked. ctrl-f installation

I'd be surprised if Gamersgate wasn't already running the latest official patch so I doubt you'll need anything like that.

Any help with why the game is asking for a Cd key? Does it have something to do with that mod?

Sanic

I've come to realize that, even though I have 71 games on my wishlist, the only one that I really want to play right now is Bad Company 2, and i've been holding off for weeks for this sale just to buy it.

I think i'm doing it wrong.

Princess Skittles said:
Quick question, for these types of mega Summer/Christmas Steam Sales are they still per day? I ask because I don't think I can access everything to buy something while I'm at work (maybe on my iPhone?), so if there are like, hourly deals or something like that, I'd probably miss out on some stuff.
Yes they are per day, I don't think Steam does hourly sales. They also have sales that last the whole duration of the sale, but it's best to wait on those until the last day in case they get cheaper for a daily deal.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Corky said:
Sigh I'm calling it, no sale until monday and if there's no sale on monday we won't be getting a sale.

Sale starting today is by no means a given but I think it's silly to think we won't get another Summer sale. We've been getting MORE sales not less. Weekend deals -> Christmas sale -> Midweek deal -> Daily deals -> Weeklong publisher deals etc.

I think the summer sale will start tomorrow since it started last year on the 24th also.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There is a bunch of stuff I'd want, but I don't feel that "Have to have it" right now. I think it will be dependent on price.

What I'm interested with potentially low enough prices to jump in on.
Dragon's Age Origins Complete, The Void, Universe Sandbox, Divinity II, and a few others.

I'm going to go with it starting today. I've been checking Steam daily for over a year and I have a feeling that it will.

Of course you can lol @ me when it doesn't.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Rodney McKay said:
Yes they are per day, I don't think Steam does hourly sales. They also have sales that last the whole duration of the sale, but it's best to wait on those until the last day in case they get cheaper for a daily deal.
Thankee.

Sanic

We'll be needing a new thread soon as well, so it would be great timing if the sale started today and we all migrated over to the summer sale thread, and then Steam 2011 OT2 can emerge afterwards.

MRORANGE

Pandoracell said:
I've come to realize that, even though I have 71 games on my wishlist, the only one that I really want to play right now is Bad Company 2, and i've been holding off for weeks for this sale just to buy it.

I think i'm doing it wrong.

pretty sure BC2 has been on sale on several occasions (last time was EA week), anyway I bought it at full price and don't regret it one bit, one of the best team orientated fps's you can find. Will get it day 1 when BF3 hits steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom