• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of alternatives direct2drive is offering 20% of all titles (including preorders) this weekend if you enter the code hailtothechief upon checkout.

And yes some titles are steamworks like Brink and Homefront. So you can order from there, enter cd-key in steam and you pretty much bought it from steam anyways. And Homefront comes with free Metro 2033

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Discotheque said:
speaking of alternatives direct2drive is offering 20% of all titles (including preorders) this weekend if you enter the code hailtothechief upon checkout.

And yes some titles are steamworks like Brink and Homefront. So you can order from there, enter cd-key in steam and you pretty much bought it from steam anyways. And Homefront comes with free Metro 2033 (not steamworks)
Metro 2033 is Steamworks.

amrod

Discotheque said:

And yes some titles are steamworks like Brink and Homefront.

Any other good steamworks titles coming?

Shaneus

Blizzard said:
I haven't tried the mod to make everything free in Just Cause 2, but I suspect that since the game is so big, it wouldn't be for everyone. Very early on in the game I was having to look for ammo and weapons (and swapping back and forth between weapons on the ground was a little confusing to me). However, I feel like some people would get bored more quickly if they had whatever weapons etc. they wanted available all the time. *shrug*
Likewise. When I run low on ammo, I always take joy in finding a chopper or a chaingun that I can dismount which have unlimited ammo anyway. If not, I just melee or harpoon the fuck out of everyone.

Free ammo would add to the open world aspect of JC2, but detract from the main tasks at hand like destroying the depots because you're always armed to the teeth. I actually like knocking down a place with a few pistols, grenades and an Uzi.

trinest said:
No worthy compeditors yet- and besides they will have to have the ablity of "transfering" your Steam games to them for me to love them.
I think you can do that with EA games, or at least some of the time I've been able to drop a key into EADM and it will show up there. Not sure for what/how many titles, but if companies started doing that then there's more choices I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone who doesn't know, you can just add a shortcut and launch it from Steam. It will even show up in your friends list. People commonly seem to do this with Minecraft.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Baki said:
I love how you guys are all for a Steam monopoly. Eh...

I love how you want arbitrary games to be objectively worse for no other reason than trying to prevent a monopoly, a thing that is literally impossible on the PC platform.

Rainier

Blizzard said:
For anyone who doesn't know, you can just add a shortcut and launch it from Steam. It will even show up in your friends list. People commonly seem to do this with Minecraft.
Not only Minecraft, but I launch UE3 from Steam whenever I get a hankering to do some level editing.

Blizzard said:

Yeah I do this all the time, I can't do without that Steam overlay. The only thing it doesn't track is your playtime.

morningbus said:
I love how you want arbitrary games to be objectively worse for no other reason than trying to prevent a monopoly, a thing that is literally impossible on the PC platform.
Seriously, it's almost impossible for Steam to have a monopoly at this point. Just because a few titles here and there are using Steamworks doesn't mean the world is ending, it just means publishers are waking up to the fact that this service is strong and can deliver good results. If Microsoft had done GFW in Windows Vista properly then maybe they'd be a strong competitor, but at this point their whole setup is just trying to play catchup.

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
Not only Minecraft, but I launch UE3 from Steam whenever I get a hankering to do some level editing.
What's really creepy is that (Botolf and I found out) if you launch the UDK game thing, and maybe even the editor, even totally separate from Steam, Steam sometimes still knows you launched it and changes your status accordingly. :p

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
So is the Square-Enix everything pack worth it if I've only played some of the PS3 version of Arkham Asylum?

I'm tempted, but I doubt my Asus 1201N can play most of these games. I'm sure I can run Deus Ex, but I don't know what else. I'm going to try canyourunit on a bunch.

Edit: Well fuck that.

amrod said:
Bulletstorm™ is now available for pre-purchase on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99810/

$60

- EA Tax.
- No Demo.
- Games For Windows Live.

They had my money at People Can Fly, but lost it with the above three strikes. Toss in no sdk/mod support or the fact that Unreal supports Steamworks yet they still went with GFWL as the cherries on top of that asshole flavored sundae and it looks like I'll buy Bulletstorm when it's five or ten dollars in a sale a few years down the road.

This is how you go about actively losing a day one sale EA/Epic.

Weenerz

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
- EA Tax.
- No Demo.

They had my money at People Can Fly, but lost it with the above three strikes. Toss in no sdk/mod support or the fact that Unreal supports Steamworks yet they still went with GFWL as the cherries on top of that asshole flavored sundae and it looks like I'll buy Bulletstorm when it's five or ten dollars in a sale a few years down the road.

Agree with all you said.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
- EA Tax.
- No Demo.

I feel the exact same way. I hadn't planned to buy it day one - was planning to wait a month or two, when I have more free time - but I was one of the (apparently few) people who was legitimately interested in and excited for this game. Now? Not so much. \:

There is a gang of successful digital distributors. Anyone can make a pc game and distribute it by themselves through their own personal website. There are countless examples of people successfully doing this. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of Steam getting a monopoly on pc games. As far as I can tell it's impossible. It's an open platform.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I bought Front Mission Evolved at launch, and then my review said that it was a good $30 game.

Less than $15 is a no brainer, to me. It's a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Weapons sound and feel awesome. Probably some of the best guns this gen.
Bebpo said:
Not that I expect anyone here to know because no one plays the game, but are the FM DLCs for use in the single player campaign (the additional weapons/wanzers)?

I plan on playing the SP sometime this year and the DLC is pretty cheap so I wonder if I should grab the mechs/guns.

Will never play the MP, so if it's MP only there's no point.
All of the DLC weapons and mechs are for single player only. There's some awesome ones too, like the shotgun bazookas.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jaundicejuice said:
- EA Tax.
- No Demo.

Serious question not baiting GFWL hate: Why DO devs choose GFWL over Steam/Steamworks integration? I can't actually think of a reason.

Zzoram

enzo_gt said:
Serious question not baiting GFWL hate: Why DO devs choose GFWL over Steam/Steamworks integration? I can't actually think of a reason.

They don't. Only if the publisher has a special deal with MSFT does anyone reluctantly use GFWL over Steamworks. Epic has a close special relationship with MSFT and they clearly want to maintain it.

Twig

Banned
CaptainAhab said:
There is a gang of successful digital distributors. Anyone can make a pc game and distribute it by themselves through their own personal website. There are countless examples of people successfully doing this. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of Steam getting a monopoly on pc games. As far as I can tell it's impossible. It's an open platform.
I completely agree, actually. I might not have in the past, out of ignorance, but with more and more examples to the contrary, I'd be hard-pressed to worry about Steam becoming an actual monopoly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zzoram said:
They don't. Only if the publisher has a special deal with MSFT does anyone reluctantly use GFWL over Steamworks. Epic has a close special relationship with MSFT and they clearly want to maintain it.
So even financially, pairing with GFWL isn't like, cheaper or anything than going with Steam for digital distribution?

Still trying to wrap my head around MS paying off people to use their service when no one does willingly, or will in the future willingly as if they're trying to start a movement or something.

Zzoram

enzo_gt said:
So even financially, pairing with GFWL isn't like, cheaper or anything than going with Steam for digital distribution?

Still trying to wrap my head around MS paying off people to use their service when no one does willingly, or will in the future willingly as if they're trying to start a movement or something.

Steamworks is free and better. Hard to be cheaper than free.

GFWL isn't entirely free, you have to pay for patches after a certain point I believe, just like on Xbox LIVE, since patches have to be certified by MSFT before being released. Valve imposes no such restrictions.

BobJustBob said:
Also GFWL. I think they're sabotaging the PC version (this plus the lack of a PC demo) to make people buy the 360 version. Worked on me.

So...
Strike one: 360 exclusive multiplayer
Strike two: GFW Live
Strike three: $59.99

lol, nice try EPIC/EA

Catshade

enzo_gt said:

AFAIK, If your game has a 360 version and has a considerable multiplayer element, it's easier to 'port' the netcode from XBL to GFWL (or vice versa).

Zzoram

Rainier said:
Steam isn't free, they get a cut of each sale. 30% I think.

I believe you're confused. That's the distribution cut and is the same as everyone else. We're not talking about Steam distribution, but Steamworks. Steamworks is free and much better than GFWL. Steamworks can be in retail box copies of games and link to Steam, but those retail copies don't give any cut of sales to Valve.

Rainier

Zzoram said:
I believe you're confused. That's the distribution cut and is the same as everyone else. We're not talking about Steam distribution, but Steamworks. Steamworks is free and much better than GFWL. Steamworks can be in retail box copies of games and link to Steam, but those retail copies don't give any cut of sales to Valve.
Is Steamworks the online portion of the game? Wikipedia offered me this:
Steamworks may refer to:

* A programming and development suite developed by Valve Software
* Steamworks (gay bathhouse), a gay sauna located in Edinburgh, Scotland

zoku88

Volcynika said:
Community features/achievements/matchmaking/etc., I think.
Also stuff like voice chat, and etc

Valve doesn't get a cut from games that use SteamWorks, I didn't know? I guess that kinda makes sense because it can be used as a trojan horse to get more people using Steam.

Zzoram

Rainier said:
Is Steamworks the online portion of the game?

It can be. Developers don't have to use all of Steamworks, but they have the option to:

Steam achievements
Steam matchmaking and lobby and anti-cheat
Steam server browser
Steam Cloud storage of control configuration settings and save files

and of course the usual benefits of a game through Steam like the friends list showing your friends what you're playing, friends list text/voice chat across games and in group chats, time played tracking, and in-game overlay access to friend's list/chats as well as the Steam webkit browser so you don't need to alt+tab to gamefaqs your way out of trouble

Rainier

Zzoram said:
It can be. Developers don't have to use all of Steamworks, but they have the option to:

Steam achievements
Steam matchmaking and lobby
Steam server browser

and of course the usual benefits of a game through Steam like the friends list showing your friends what you're playing, time played tracking, and in-game overlay
Thanks. Oh, and if you need to know about gay bathhouses, I'm your man.

Zzoram said:

Steam achievements
Steam matchmaking and lobby
Steam server browser

and of course the usual benefits of a game through Steam like the friends list showing your friends what you're playing, friends list text/voice chat across games and in group chats, time played tracking, and in-game overlay access to friend's list/chats as well as the Steam webkit browser so you don't need to alt+tab to gamefaqs your way out of trouble

Plus DRM, installer, anti-cheat. Anti-cheat being the biggie as it's the only real anti-cheat out there that has consequence for cheating.

Rainier said:
Thanks. Oh, and if you need to know about gay bathhouses, I'm your man.

vrygw5.gif

Zzoram

TouchMyBox said:
Plus DRM, installer, anti-cheat. Anti-cheat being the biggie as it's the only real anti-cheat out there that has consequence for cheating.

vrygw5.gif

The DRM is being linked to Steam, nothing fancy.

Ya auto-patch is one I forgot to mention but it's common to all games distributed through Steam

enzo_gt said:

I think in this instance we can safely assume that EA's decision to use GFWL over Steamworks is likely due to the pissing contest EA has decided to have with Valve/Steam. First there was the snubbing of Steam customers with the Dragon-Age 2 pre-order DLC. EA just magically couldn't get some sort of deal done with Valve by an arbitrary due date they themselves had set, but every other DD service did. The day after you could no longer get the bonus content, DA2 went up for pre-order on Steam. Now EA is using a quite fairly maligned and half-assed service instead of Steamworks, even though Steamworks is supported by the Unreal Engine/UDK. It's like EA are actively trying to push business or any direct connection to Steam away to other DD services, including their own terrible store with its draconian DRM, while still making what money they can off of Steam customers. /tinfoilhat

Aaron

Schmattakopf said:
Yeah, what's up with that? I want the first one.
You can skip the first one if you want. The second game happens before the first so you don't have to worry about story, and overall it's more refined than the first. I hear River of Time is kind of short, but I haven't finished it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom