• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwayne

enzo_gt said:
Serious question not baiting GFWL hate: Why DO devs choose GFWL over Steam/Steamworks integration? I can't actually think of a reason.

lots of reasons already given, but i'm pretty sure steam bounce titles as well. probably not in bulletstorms case, but smaller titles or titles with limited appeal.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
shrapnelmagnet said:
Any predictions or rumours on the rest of the sales this week?
Taking into account previous sales, I'd say that Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider/GoL and Kane & Lynch are very likely to be the remaining sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dwayne said:
lots of reasons already given, but i'm pretty sure steam bounce titles as well. probably not in bulletstorms case, but smaller titles or titles with limited appeal.

While that is true, here are a full list of 3rd party GFWL titles not available on Steam:
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Namco, no US release)
2. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (ASW, European retail release)
3. Crash Time 4: The Syndicate (dtp Entertainment, although earlier games of the series are on Steam)
4. Tron: Evolution

So I don't think fear of Steam rejection is driving anyone.

Zzoram

Nabs said:
Tron: Evo was a Disney Interactive title, right? I don't think they publish on Steam =\

It's ok, Steam doesn't need more shovelware.

I really, really hope Crysis 2 uses Steamworks or at least doesn't use 3rd party DRM on Steam, although EA's track record suggests it will be using 3rd party DRM. If so, I really hope it's not limited activation, that's a bitch. Maybe the Batman AA style one where your activation limit resets every month so you don't have to remember to use an unauthorizing tool before you format your PC.

Maybe Borderlands 2 will come through and use Steamworks instead of that awful shit Gamespy for multiplayer. Gamespy probably cost them money too, while Steamworks is both better and free.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just noticed, that the Front Mission deal includes all of the DLC weapons and Wanzers.

That package is easily worth the price, for a decent arcade style mech experience.

Jump on it.

K.Jack said:
Just noticed, that the Front Mission deal includes all of the DLC weapons and Wanzers.

That package is easily worth the price, for a decent arcade style mech experience.

Jump on it.

Correction because it's unclear - all DLC and main game are 75%, however there is no "Ultimate Collection" Pack. In EU it's 9.99EUR for the game, plus 4.95EUR for all the DLC put together.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Castor Krieg said:
Correction because it's unclear - all DLC and main game are 75%, however there is no "Ultimate Collection" Pack. In EU it's 9.99EUR for the game, plus 4.95EUR for all the DLC put together.
Ohhh, the front page has "Includes All DLC", sorta implying that the DLC was included. My bad.

In that case, buy Weapon Pack 2 and Wanzer Pack 3 only. Those are so worth the extra $2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats with the hate on GFWL? Is it just because you want steamworks and any alternative isn't as welcome? Or something fundamentally wrong with how it works?

Aaron

It's just awkward to use, especially on occasions when live is down. It slows down the initial loading of every game its in for me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
While that is true, here are a full list of 3rd party GFWL titles not available on Steam:
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Namco, no US release)
2. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (ASW, European retail release)
3. Crash Time 4: The Syndicate (dtp Entertainment, although earlier games of the series are on Steam)
4. Tron: Evolution

So I don't think fear of Steam rejection is driving anyone.
I wish they would sell BlazBlue on Steam, or at least GFWL would put it on sale.

Turfster

mrklaw said:
whats with the hate on GFWL? Is it just because you want steamworks and any alternative isn't as welcome? Or something fundamentally wrong with how it works?
It's a buggy piece of crap that's keeping me from actually playing some of the games I bought (It basically keeps updating RFG to a state that freezes the game randomly, and it won't let me go back to a previous version of course)
Oh, and these days, it adds a windows live ID background service that wants to be always on and uses memory and cpu time without asking you. Why, microsoft? I don't use any of your crap, so stop shitting in my yard. So yeah, I have to enable this crap when I want to play DOW2, because otherwise it crashes on load, but they won't get a christmas card from me.

Not to mention it'll prompt me to enter a key for games that I've already installed and entered a key for from time to time.

-Let's not forget the stupid ambiguous DRM that's both mysterious and obtrusive as well as patching in features without making sure it works across the board with all games (voice chat in shadowrun)..

aasoncott

mrklaw said:

I bought Arkham Asylum this week. It was my first GFWL game.

• Downloaded through Steam
  • Clicked "play"
  • Did first-time install, as usual
  • Game asked for a serial
  • Game loaded, GFWL popped up
  • GFWL asked for a serial, which I entered for a second time
  • Asked for my Live account
  • Told me GFWL needed to be updated; game quit
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Told me GFWL needed to be updated; clicked cancel
  • A dialog box popped up said I couldn't save unless I signed into GFWL
  • Rage
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Game could finally be played

That's why I hate GFWL. I should note that every single update actually installed and seemed different from the previous update -- it actually had to be updated, updated, and updated again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, so they really are separate updates? I always wondered if it was really patching the game or it was just bugged to keep applying the same patch. Good to know its not that screwed up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
aasoncott said:

• Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Rage
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"

That's why I hate GFWL. I should note that every single update actually installed and seemed different from the previous update -- it actually had to be updated, updated, and updated again.
LOL I didn't complain but that's exactly what I had to do as well. So annoying. The updating TWICE part really confused me and I thought it was glitching or something.

Big-E said:
Steam always updates sales at 10:00 AM pacific time so 5 more minutes.
I thank you and your avatar. Gidday! For a few minutes then it's all over somebody else's face or rage for a game I don't care about :p

krzy123

aasoncott said:

GFWL stuff

Yup this is exactly what I had to do when I bought Arkham Ayslum over Christmas, I thought with all the updates GFWL was stuck in some broke loop. Apparently the better way is to install GFWL standalone from MS's website :/.

LiquidMetal14

krzy123 said:
Yup this is exactly what I had to do when I bought Arkham Ayslum over Christmas, I thought with all the updates GFWL was stuck in some broke loop. Apparently the better way is to install GFWL standalone from MS's website :/.
Yea but I didn't get the notice to do that until I went to the MSFT site. Installing it standalone is the way to go but damn if most of us buy it off steam are not expecting to go through a song and dance just to get things working.

I think I will pass on this sale again. I don't have time to commit to a game like that. Hopefully tomorrow ends with a bang.

aasoncott said:

• Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Rage
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"

The exact same thing has happened to me before with another GFWL game (either Bioshock or DOW2). This is definitely something that's quite prevalent in case people are wondering.

bengraven

aasoncott said:

• Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Rage
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"

This was my exact experience playing SFIV.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
aasoncott said:

<shennanigans quote>

While I understand all your complaints about your experience, every single one of them has a reasonable explanation (except the 3 different updates).

1) It asks for my serial a second time

That's because it's another service. When you buy the game on Steam, it gets registered on your Steam account. Every Games for Windows game has an overlay (just like the xbox guide). That overlay is, in reality, a Games for Windows client. And you have an account in that. You need to register the game you just bought (on Steam) on your Games for Windows Live Account.

You're complaining about something that's the equivalent of complaining that you have to sign up to Steam when you buy Call of Duty Black Ops on a store. Or complaining that you have to sign up for Steam when you bought Red Faction Guerrilla from THQ's website. You could easily avoid half the hassle by buying the game directly from Games for Windows, but who wants to do that?

Which brings me to your second issue:

2) Numerous patching, what the fuck?

First of all, I 100% agree with you. Make one patch that fixes everything. Incremental Patching is idiotic. HOWEVER, I can explain to you WHY it's the way it is, even tho I disagree with it.

Games for Windows Live has a client, which you can download from Microsoft. That client will install itself on your machine (Like Steam does), and keep itself updated.

When you download a game that has games for windows in it, it comes with a copy of games for windows. That copy needs to be updated. Steam doesn't update that, only Games for Windows itself can update itself. That's why it only prompts you when you start up the game - because that's when you start the Games for Windows client.

"But why does it update three times?" you might say. While I agree that's idiotic, it probably does that because the Games for Windows client had a Major Overhaul not that long ago. So your old Games for Windows client (that came with your Arkham Asylum copy) probably updated itself to the newer version (first update), then upon restarting it noticed there's a new, different client (second update), and when the new and different client booted, it noticed it had updates for itself (third update) - I believe all of this could've been avoided (or diminished to 1 update) had you installed the Games for Windows Client from Microsoft (mostly because I've never been asked to update Games for Windows more than once upon booting a game for the first time).

Again, you're complaining about something that's the exact same thing as complaining about Call of Duty Black Ops asking you to update steam when you bought it from a store/from Direct2Drive. All could've been avoided/improved by buying the game directly from their native digital distribution service. But you'd be stupid to not use steam, imo.

LiquidMetal14

ClosingADoor said:
Sale lasts until sunday. So I guess a Tomb Raider sale, Kane & Lynch and one thing else left.
Oh, I'm new to this. Thanks for that clarification. I just built my PC not even a week ago. I won't buy TR or K&L though. It has to be the right game. Batman was perfect for that price.

Sanjay

aasoncott said:

Yeah but you can't complain no more now, for your 2nd and 3rd GFWL game will be nothing but praise. OMG It works off the bat.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Oh, I'm new to this. Thanks for that clarification. I just built my PC not even a week ago. I won't buy TR or K&L though. It has to be the right game. Batman was perfect for that price.

Prepare to be sucked in. I installed Steam a month ago when I got a new videocard and went back to PC gaming a bit. I now have bought 39 games. For just a little over $100 :D

aeolist

Banned
Zzoram said:
It's ok, Steam doesn't need more shovelware.

I really, really hope Crysis 2 uses Steamworks or at least doesn't use 3rd party DRM on Steam, although EA's track record suggests it will be using 3rd party DRM. If so, I really hope it's not limited activation, that's a bitch. Maybe the Batman AA style one where your activation limit resets every month so you don't have to remember to use an unauthorizing tool before you format your PC.

Maybe Borderlands 2 will come through and use Steamworks instead of that awful shit Gamespy for multiplayer. Gamespy probably cost them money too, while Steamworks is both better and free.
Crysis 2 will have an editor released on PC and will thus be seeing user mods and maybe multiplayer stuff.

This is pretty much the opposite of what EA is doing these days so I don't think they have that much influence over the game itself, just the marketing etc.

MDSLKTR

aasoncott said:
  • Clicked "play"
    [*] GFWL doesn't recognise my modem as if there's no connection to the internet.
    [*] Spent hours trying to find a solution online. Most of the solutions on their official website were redirecting me to their xblive website.
    [*] Microsoft support team tells in most cases that I have to format and reinstall everything. What am I? An average best buy customer?
    [*] I found out that I had to forward some port numbers on my modem. I'm not supposed to do that shit, I don't even want to do it, I just want to play a damn game.
    [*] Spent a day trying to configure my modem correctly. I almost had to call my ISP (which I hadn't done for like 3 years now)
    [*] My newly made GFWL account doesn't work for some reason, I had to dig my old hotmail adress that I used for my xbox live account years ago.
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"
  • Rage
  • GFWL slowly updated
  • Clicked "play"

That was my first experience with GFWL. It's as if microsoft wanted me to have an aneurysm, despise pc gaming and go run buy a halo game.

Scipius

Drkirby said:
The release of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 for steam :eek:

I've been waiting for that for quite a while now, ever since they appeared in the registry last year. Release them! Well, FF7 that is, FF8 can take a long walk off a short plank.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Scipius said:
I've been waiting for that for quite a while now, ever since they appeared in the registry last year. Release them! Well, FF7 that is, FF8 can take a long walk off a short plank.
FFVIII could be made such more more bearable if they just made the battles faster.

An interesting not about GFWL is that for developers, you need to go through their certification / hoop-jumping process to release patches - so a hotfix that should be deployed ASAP can take weeks / months.

If you don't use GFWL, you can send it out whenever you like (within reason).

Obviously quality control is good, but it can be a pain for you community.

LiquidMetal14 said:
LOL I didn't complain but that's exactly what I had to do as well. So annoying. The updating TWICE part really confused me and I thought it was glitching or something.

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one who was utterly vexed by the GFWL update process. lol

Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and K&L series will probably round out the last three days. I get this feeling that they're not going to discount LR (hopefully I'm wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom