• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainier

Wow, awesome to see both Just Cause games in the top 5 of Steam's 'Top Sellers' list.

Edit: Just noticed Test drive Unlimited 2 is only $39, is it a cheaper game on consoles as well?

Firehead

Rainier said:
Wow, awesome to see both Just Cause games in the top 5 of Steam's 'Top Sellers' list.

Edit: Just noticed Test drive Unlimited 2 is only $39, is it a cheaper game on consoles as well?
Cheaper from the usual $60, yes - it's $50.

Picked up Just Cause 2 last night and I'm glad I did considering I didn't enjoy the demo at all. Outside of the usual praise for this game's graphics/performance on PC, I just want to say that this game is surprisingly good for anger management. Throw the game on easy/blow shit up and watch your anger just melt away. (In case you're curious, I played 3 hours worth of DOW2: Retribution beta last night and was just getting my ass handed to me moreso than usual. )

garath

I've been intrigued by Front Mission: evolved for a long time but I am thoroughly embroiled in Mass Effect 2.

Is it worth adding to the backlog at $12? It's not really a no brainer price yet.

John

Gully State said:
Picked up Just Cause 2 last night and I'm glad I did considering I didn't enjoy the demo at all. Outside of the usual praise for this game's graphics/performance on PC, I just want to say that this game is surprisingly good for anger management. Throw the game on easy/blow shit up and watch your anger just melt away. (In case you're curious, I played 3 hours worth of DOW2: Retribution beta last night and was just getting my ass handed to me moreso than usual. )
i keep getting annoyed at jc2 actually. where's the ammo? where are the explosives? i can't find anything.

i just wanna blow stuff up : (

garath

garath said:
I've been intrigued by Front Mission: evolved for a long time but I am thoroughly embroiled in Mass Effect 2.

Is it worth adding to the backlog at $12? It's not really a no brainer price yet.

Quoting myself. I just read the IGN review of Front Mission. I think it's a pass. Maybe for $5 I'd grab it just to get a taste but the backlog is too big already to play sub-par games.

Passing on Front Mission. I've never liked a mech game that wasn't Battletech based, despite trying many. I'm not sure why, to be honest. Maybe it's because I played the Battletech miniatures game as a youth (and still do on occasion, when we can get together). But even discounting the familiarity factor, most of the others I've tried seem very dry and boring, or the giant robots move like athletic humans instead of like giant robots would/should.

Psy-Phi

John said:
i keep getting annoyed at jc2 actually. where's the ammo? where are the explosives? i can't find anything.

You're doing something inherently wrong if you aren't full up on ammo 90% of the game. Look around for the crates all over the military bases in the game. You'll get plenty. I've never had an issue with ammo, because I just go raid a military base looking for those crates.

You could also just go steal a helicopter with a missle launcher and machine gun, and never worry about ammo :p. I think I remember enemies dropping ammo as you kill them too. But maybe I'm wrong. Usually before you do a mission there's a crate or two nearby.

How far into the game are you?

Front Mission is a solid mech game, I enjoyed it more than any of AC games this gen.

The mechs are closer to the western style, slow moving and they don't fly, although you can dash.

The campaign isn't brilliant or anything, but it kept me playing through to the end.

Multiplayer is really fun, if you can find a game, but it was pretty dead on 360 most of the time.

In short, if mechs give you a boner, buy. If not, then pass.

Bebpo

Banned
Not that I expect anyone here to know because no one plays the game, but are the FM DLCs for use in the single player campaign (the additional weapons/wanzers)?

I plan on playing the SP sometime this year and the DLC is pretty cheap so I wonder if I should grab the mechs/guns.

Will never play the MP, so if it's MP only there's no point.

Bebpo said:
Not that I expect anyone here to know because no one plays the game, but are the FM DLCs for use in the single player campaign (the additional weapons/wanzers)?

I plan on playing the SP sometime this year and the DLC is pretty cheap so I wonder if I should grab the mechs/guns.

Will never play the MP, so if it's MP only there's no point.

Pretty sure it's MP only.

Anyway, if anyone bought the original Just Cause yesterday, I found a widescreen hack here.

Just extract to the install folder and set the res that you want. The hud is stretched, but everything else is fine.

Rainier

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyway, if anyone bought the original Just Cause yesterday, I found a widescreen hack here.

Just extract to the install folder and set the res that you want. The hud is stretched, but everything else is fine.
Was considering double dipping and getting the first one on Steam, that just sealed the deal. Thanks!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I was stuck playing the Bulletstorm demo on PS3 with a DS3 and it did not sell me on the game at all. Game looked like shit on the console, played like shit with the DS3, and wasn't even a cool segment.

If you want to sell me on a PC game, don't force me to use my PS3 to try it out and think about what you put into the demo.

Bebpo

Banned
$60 is just not going to fly for PC games in a world of Steam sales.

If you want people buy the games before the steam sales, it's smarter to release them at LOWER prices like $40 launch instead of higher prices like $60. I picked up Darksiders day 1 because $40 seemed fair for a good port of a good game. I'd probably have picked up Bulletstorm if it was $40 as well.

John

Psy-Phi said:
You're doing something inherently wrong if you aren't full up on ammo 90% of the game. Look around for the crates all over the military bases in the game. You'll get plenty. I've never had an issue with ammo, because I just go raid a military base looking for those crates.

You could also just go steal a helicopter with a missle launcher and machine gun, and never worry about ammo :p. I think I remember enemies dropping ammo as you kill them too. But maybe I'm wrong. Usually before you do a mission there's a crate or two nearby.

How far into the game are you?
i've got three hours of playtime. i've never found ammo aside from either buying it or enemy drops, and they drop maybe enough ammo to kill three more.

BobJustBob said:
Also GFWL. I think they're sabotaging the PC version (this plus the lack of a PC demo) to make people buy the 360 version. Worked on me.

Why would they bother making a pc version if they didn't want you to buy it?

Weenerz

Banned
BobJustBob said:
Also GFWL. I think they're sabotaging the PC version (this plus the lack of a PC demo) to make people buy the 360 version. Worked on me.

Makes no sense to even release a PC version if they want to sabotage it. Either way, GFWL means no purchase, even if it's bought from Steam. The only GFWL game I will buy is Arkham City if it's even GFWL.

BobJustBob said:
Also no SDK. Because why would you want to do something simple like mod an existing game or build a level when you can use the UDK to make an entire game from scratch. At least that's how they explain it.

EA confuse me.

Why not just make their games $50 / £30 (their games are £30 in the UK anyway) and use Steamworks because I've heard it is easy to implement.

I mean if they are going to release games on the PC why not try to get as many sales as possible as opposed to as little sales as possible?

I makes no sense to me.

Rainier

ashbash159 said:
EA confuse me.

Why not just make their games $50 / £30 (their games are £30 in the UK anyway) and use Steamworks because I've heard it is easy to implement.

I mean if they are going to release games on the PC why not try to get as many sales as possible as opposed to as little sales as possible?

I makes no sense to me.
Ya, I don't get it either, seems obvious.

John said:

Install the everything is free mod, I don't even play missions I just go around having fun.

and yeah EA's priorities on PC seem to be completely screwed, someone in charge at EA regards PC as unimportant and has the final say. It's just a way to get a little extra cash from idiots who don't care about the quality of a port it seems. Dead Space only doing 4% on PC (from what I heard) is a real shame given it's so L4D like. Decisions like cutting DLC support because it's not a viable market is shallow. I doubt I'll get another EA port aside from Battlefield until the current approach comes to an end. I thought Riccitello was on it after he responded to Spore reviews.

CaptainAhab said:
Why would they bother making a pc version if they didn't want you to buy it?

They want the anti-console fanatics to buy it, but they want everyone else to buy the console versions. I don't know why. Conspiracies don't have to make sense!

Spookie

ashbash159 said:
Why not just make their games $50 / £30 (their games are £30 in the UK anyway)

Should really be £25 tbh. Maybe then they wouldn't bomb to £15 the next week because no one likes paying that extra £5.

BobJustBob said:
They want the anti-console fanatics to buy it, but they want everyone else to buy the console versions. I don't know why. Conspiracies don't have to make sense!

Don't they make less money on consoles? If a game is $60 on Steam, Valve takes like 18$? On consoles that cut is also there for the retailer and they have to pay Microsoft/Sony for the privilege of using their platform. Would only seem logical to try and maximaze your PC sales, or I must miss something here.

ClosingADoor said:
Don't they make less money on consoles? If a game is $60 on Steam, Valve takes like 18$? On consoles that cut is also there for the retailer and they have to pay Microsoft/Sony for the privilege of using their platform. Would only seem logical to try and maximaze your PC sales, or I must miss something here.

You don't have to bother with any additional costs in terms of after sales support and patches on console and get to shut down game servers after a while to force people to upgrade to iteration 20XX on console without much complaint, I guess.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ashbash159 said:
EA confuse me.

Because EA has an online store itself and would rather you buy their game from their store (that way, they have 100% profit on the transaction).

The same way Direct2Drive tried (and failed) to "boycott" Modern Warfare 2, since they didn't want to distribute their "rival" store on every purchase.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft gives EA (and whoever else decides to use Games for Windows Live) good enough "encouragement" (either be it money or special treatment on the Quality Assurance process of a game release) where they don't bother to ship the Games for Windows Live Client with their game.

I find it amazing that THQ changed from GFWL to SteamWorks like they did on the Dawn of War series, since they have a store of their own.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ashbash159 said:
EA confuse me.

I makes no sense to me.
accidentally stumbling upon a few half-decent franchises doesn't mean EA are anything other than an awful, awful company, with ambitions and methods as nefarious as anything lord kotick has on his todo list.

the moment i entered an area in da:eek:, begun the quest only to be told INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE by an in-game character was a truly watershed moment for everything i hate about post-release product abuse this generation. infinitely more offensive to me than horse armour.

trinest

Baki said:
I love how you guys are all for a Steam monopoly. Eh...
No worthy compeditors yet- and besides they will have to have the ablity of "transfering" your Steam games to them for me to love them.

Visualante said:
Install the everything is free mod

best Just Cause 2 advice anybody can get. It makes the game the ultimate sandbox adventure.

oh and also I don't oppose Steam and I don't madly support it either. I just prefer the option over GFWL and whatever the hell EA and Ubi does. In a perfect world all PC games would be DRM-free and priced regularly.

But that's not gonna ever happen so Steamworks it is (except for the occasional high profile-choices all around game like Witcher 2). Bulletstorm is gonna be a wait for sale game for me because of gfwl and the shitty price tag. Boooo. I really liked the demo too, considering that's just a barebones score attack mode. Single player will be amazing.

epmode

trinest said:
No worthy compeditors yet
Exactly. Everyone cries about Steam's dominance in the PC space but Valve got there by offering the best product on the market. By far.

And the most embarrassing part about this is that the PC platform is 100% open.

GFWL is a joke. But what would you expect from such a company? Stick to consoles or man up.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't tried the mod to make everything free in Just Cause 2, but I suspect that since the game is so big, it wouldn't be for everyone. Very early on in the game I was having to look for ammo and weapons (and swapping back and forth between weapons on the ground was a little confusing to me). However, I feel like some people would get bored more quickly if they had whatever weapons etc. they wanted available all the time. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom