• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lostconfused said:
I feel like I have to take a stand against this $60 bullshit, what the hell EA. Why are you doing this shit to me?

They have probably seen how well COD has sold at $59.99 on Steam and want some of that money. I'm pretty sure they will get it. Why not milk the suckers and then lower the price later?

kamspy

Cuban Legend said:
I'm fortunately not as weak-willed as others.

I will be holding off on Crysis 2 until the price actually reasonable for both a digital & PC release.

Why would you do that? Would it help if 40 gaffers all paypal'd you a quarter?

MisterAnderson said:
How are you guys able to hold out on that shit :/
I take that $10 and go rent the game for consoles. Play it the way its meant to be played. That kills my need to play the new hotness so then I just bide my time until a steam sale is on.

Will get Crysis thanks to lack of DRM, hope the demo is awesome. FYI UK Crysis 2 is $48 so feel free to contact your British bros. I boycott PayPal but most people will accept it.

Cheech said:
I don't understand. The PC version is going to look and run 100x better than the console version. It's not like PC owners are getting the shaft in any way, shape, or form.

Just think about what kind of machine it takes to run Crysis, and what the specs of the consoles are. If you had a PC with comparable hardware to the Xbox 360 and PS3, you wouldn't even be able to run the first Crysis. You don't think that the core experience of Crysis has been compromised to run on those musty little boxes? Yeah we'll have the higher resolutions, better framerates, and faster loading times that our machines allow, but the core experience has been designed to work on a console. I've seen the term "cinematically linear" bandied about by Cervat Yerli when describing Crysis 2.

You'll have to forgive me my guarded skepticism, but I think it's fairly well-founded. A demo might assuage my concerns, or prove them.

markao

Dr. Zoidberg said:
They have probably seen how well COD has sold at $59.99 on Steam and want some of that money. I'm pretty sure they will get it. Why not milk the suckers and then lower the price later?
But strange thing is, it is only "new PC price" in Dollars.

50 Euros (COD 60) and 30 Pounds(48 Dollar), which make the British the cheapest, weird pricing for Crysis 2, or is Steam always all over the place?

[edit] What Visualante suggests ;)

amrod

MisterAnderson said:
$60 Crysis 2 is pretty bullshit. But I must have this game. Pre-ordered.

How are you guys able to hold out on that shit :/

By getting it on direct2drive probably with 20% off coupon

Use the code: hailtothechief to get 20% off any game (US) Our European friends can use the code: vatfree to get the same deal.

Total Cost: $43.96

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Nooooooo I want Civ V so bad but I'm broke until next week. ;_;

Just got my frist Gaming PC too. ;_;

Nabs

Ermac said:
Nooooooo I want Civ V so bad but I'm broke until next week. ;_;

Just got my frist Gaming PC too. ;_;
It's Steamworks, so you can buy Civ V from anywhere and register it on Steam. Just wait until you find yourself a better sale (you will).

Zzoram

I can hold out because I'm too busy with school for a new game anyways. Normally my hype would override lack of time, but $60 and uncertain if 3rd party limited activation DRM is going to be included is enough to make me wait until summer.

kamspy

Cuban Legend said:
Why should I give into and encourage EA's copycat pricing of Activision's raping of the PC gamer market?

So you can play Crysis 2 sooner than later?

Sixty US dollars in 2011 is pretty damn cheap for a PC game. That's like 40-45 1990s US dollars.

Some video gamers choose to live in a vacuum where inflation doesn't exist. It's best not to.

careksims

Knowing that most new PC games are and still $50, I ain't going to pay more for that. Fuck off EA. Going to wait for a sale just like I will for Dragon Age 2. You're not even getting pre-sale discounts on it!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
Why should PC gamers pay less? You're usually getting a superior product that gets a fraction of the sales of console games.

No. The question you should be asking is why, with the start of this generation, do console gamers have to pay more for what is often an inferior product?

careksims said:
Knowing that most new PC games are and still $50, I ain't going to pay more for that. Fuck off EA. Going to wait for a sale just like I will for Dragon Age 2. You're not even getting pre-sale discounts on it!

Luckily Dragon Age 2 was being sold on Impulse for $49.99 during that Signature Edition upgrade thing.

Javaman

Unless I'm getting a game for multiplayer paying full price is a total rip off. Anyone with a backlog should consider waiting and pick it up on the cheap 6-12 months later. The worst thing you can do is buy it for full price, play it for a couple hours than get distracted by another game. Why waste the money?

Zzoram

LocoMrPollock said:
Why should PC gamers pay less? You're usually getting a superior product that gets a fraction of the sales of console games.

If the PC version was guaranteed good long term patching support and maybe even a little bit of free content then $60 for Crysis is good. However, Crysis 1 stopped getting patched when Warhead came out, even though Crysis 1 still had a game breaking bug in the last level that broke the game for anyone playing in DX10 with an ATI card. No driver updates were able to fix it, and Crytek refused to patch the problem. I don't particularly trust that Crysis 2 will get patched properly so I'm not ready to drop $60.

AceBandage said:
So, I loved SupCom1, tried the demo of 2 before it came out, and didn't fall for it.
Is it still worth it at $4?
Absolutely. It's a very good game, regardless of how much it pissed off fans of the first one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LocoMrPollock said:

Game manufacturers have to pay the console holders a licensing fee, this licensing fee does not exist on the open PC platform. Why the fuck are we paying a non existant license fee?

nexen

I am not a hard-core RTS guy but I thought SupCom2 was fun and well worth the $12 I paid for it. SupCom1 was better, sure. Seemed like practically a different series, honestly, but 2 was still a good time.

slidewinder said:
Absolutely. It's a very good game, regardless of how much it pissed off fans of the first one.

nexen said:
I am not a hard-core RTS guy but I thought SupCom2 was fun and well worth the $12 I paid for it. SupCom1 was better, sure. Seemed like practically a different series, honestly, but 2 was still a good time.

So if I never played the original would this one stand on its own as a good, fun game? Hmm, those $3.75 are starting to look mighty tempting.

markao said:
But strange thing is, it is only "new PC price" in Dollars.

50 Euros (COD 60) and 30 Pounds(48 Dollar), which make the British the cheapest, weird pricing for Crysis 2, or is Steam always all over the place?

[edit] What Visualante suggests ;)

The Uk price seems to be the only one where retail and DD prices are made equal.

Must be a law thing or something, I guess.

nexen

SteelAttack said:
So if I never played the original would this one stand on its own as a good, fun game? Hmm, those $3.75 are starting to look mighty tempting.
For $3.75? Hell yes. I'm an insane cheapskate and don't even really like RTS games that much but it is a solid, fun game. It seems to me like the only reason it didn't do so well was because people like SupCom1 way better and expected more out of the sequel. Had this been a new ip I don't think it would've binned so hard.

LocoMrPollock said:
Better question: why should anyone pay more? $50 is already high to begin with and it's still the standard.

1-D_FTW

Javaman said:
Unless I'm getting a game for multiplayer paying full price is a total rip off. Anyone with a backlog should consider waiting and pick it up on the cheap 6-12 months later. The worst thing you can do is buy it for full price, play it for a couple hours than get distracted by another game. Why waste the money?

Sadly, I kind of agree. Not always, but in this particular case it's an easy choice. 60 dollars and in all likelyhood awful DRM? Pass. I'll buy when priced appropriately.

SapientWolf said:
It's a pick up and play, smash-mouth RTS with a pretty great engine. It might have been better received if it had a different name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ZRG7moPfU

Yes. Whatever you want to call it, I liked the model design in this game. Something really satisfying about watching the massive battles play out. I suck at the game, but I enjoyed watching everything go at it.

kamspy said:
GAF will bleed their hearts out for the betterment of developers.....unless it involves giving them money. :eek:

Well at least I'm consistent then. I've been on the anti-60 dollar crusade for the longest time. I think it nets them less money (unless it's a sure fire AAA hit). And in my case, it's definitely true. Had it been 39.99, I'd have been there day 1 if the demo was good. Now, I'll purchase when I purchase.

epmode

kamspy said:
GAF will bleed their hearts out for the betterment of developers.....unless it involves giving them money. :eek:
You're very good at ignoring the key point here. Why do you think PC games have been $10 cheaper for most of the generation? The publishers have themselves admitted that the difference was due to console licensing fees which are absent on PCs.

If you're OK with such a blatant cash grab, good for you. I'm looking forward to the day Activision and EA finally buckle under their POS business model.

In the meantime, I'll just find something else to play. It'll be on sale soon enough.

classicdms

Neo Member
Javaman said:
Funnily, my backlog is made up of games I buy on sale, and every full priced new release I buy, I beat within a couple of weeks of purchase. Sales cause my backlog more than anything. I can't think of a relatively new release in my backlog, or one thats been in my backlog since its initial release.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Even fucking Ubisoft backed off the DRM and $59.99 for AssAss Bros. EA is late to the party and is looking like a fool.

LocoMrPollock said:

You do realize that EA gets like twice as much money selling crysis 2 on steam for $60 than they do selling Crysis 2 on the 360, right? Even without the savings of digital distribution, there is no Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo $15 tax. That should be reflected in the price which we pay for our games.

kamspy said:
Any bets on how much of that $10 actually gets to the developer?

We're talking about the betterment of EA here.

kamspy

Schmattakopf said:
Any bets on how much of that $10 actually gets to the developer?

We're talking about the betterment of EA here.

Everything I've read about the EA Partners program implies that developers like it a lot.

I know most developers don't get paid long term royalties like other entertainment mediums, but some do.

Also: inflation

How much is $50 1995 worth in 2011?

kamspy said:
Everything I've read about the EA Partners program implies that developers like it a lot.

I know most developers don't get paid long term royalties like other entertainment mediums, but some do.

I like how you continue arguing that $60 is acceptable due to inflation and yet many other big time publishers have kept their games at $50. What about Bethesda keeping their new releases to $50? Obviously Valve offers it at $50 with a 10% discount. Ubi released Brotherhood at $50. Yet EA/Activision should be exempt?

TouchMyBox said:
You do realize that EA gets like twice as much money selling crysis 2 on steam for $60 than they do selling Crysis 2 on the 360, right? Even without the savings of digital distribution, there is no Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo $15 tax. That should be reflected in the price which we pay for our games.

So it's not "fair" to you because they don't get reamed in the ass on like 1/10 of their overall sales? Sorry, but that's just a poor excuse. It's not like the overall costs of development are cheaper.

LovingSteam said:
Any UK folks want to help a US person with Crysis 2?

They're still paying $70 US.

1-D_FTW

kamspy said:

I know you can get a vastly superior computer for less than you paid for a new pc in 95 (if that's the game you want to play).

Quit defending the obsolete. The 60 dollar model is dead. Some are just a little more entrenched than others. Good/bad/indifferent, it's going away soon.

LocoMrPollock said:
So it's not "fair" to you because they don't get reamed in the ass on like 1/10 of their overall sales? Sorry, but that's just a poor excuse. It's not like the overall costs of development are cheaper.

They're still paying $70 US.

Nope. $48

kamspy

1-D_FTW said:
I know you can get a vastly superior computer for less than you paid for a new pc in 95 (if that's the game you want to play).

Quit defending the obsolete. The 60 dollar model is dead. Some are just a little more entrenched than others. Good/bad/indifferent, it's going away soon.

I agree the "$60 for every game" model is dead. I know it's been beaten to death here on GAF but WarCraft III launched at $60 and I don't remember much outrage. $60 for Crysis 2 (still basing my expectations on Crysis 1) is worth it. $60 for Dragon Age 2 (ditto on expectations in line with the predecessor) no problem.

Every "full" game shouldn't cost $60 at launch. Bulletstorm comes to mind. I want that game like crazy and adore People Can Fly, but I don't think it's worth $60 sight unseen. But I also think that a game can be worth $60.

Don't tell Zenimax, but I'd have been fine paying $60 for New Vegas. On a similar note, please tell SEGA that I'm really salty about paying $50 for Aliens vs Predators.

I'd even like to see some experimentation with a higher price point. What could we get for a $99 game?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think it is to uncalled for to charge the same price as the console version, but it is true that the console versions have the $10+ licensing fees and such.

Really, there are few games I am willing to pay $50 day one for. Very few. If I am going to buy a game that is $50, I am just as willing to pay the extra $10 to make it $60.

Joe Molotov

LocoMrPollock said:

Only by virtue of PCs offering the horsepower to push 1080p, 60fps, 16xAA, v-sync, etc. Otherwise, a lot of PC ports are half-assed at best. If it does what it says on the tin and doesn't have a lot of game-breaking bugs, it's like hitting the jackpot. Publishers like to dump their console games on the PC a day late and dollar short, and then expect $60 for the effort. Meh.

Joe Molotov said:
Only by virtue of PCs offering the horsepower to push 1080p, 60fps, 16xAA, v-sync, etc. Otherwise, a lot of PC ports are half-assed at best. If it does what it says on the tin and doesn't have a lot of game-breaking bugs, it's like hitting the jackpot. Publishers like to dump their console games on the PC a day late and dollar short, and then expect $60 for the effort. Meh.

I agree to a certain extent, but most of these games going for $60 are marquee titles. I'm not saying every title should be $60, but I can understand paying a premium for some, if you want it day one.

I just think the whole argument that PC games should be cheaper because there are no licensing costs, is just plain ol' bullshit. They aren't any cheaper to develop and people still work their ass off making them, and they sell peanuts on PC compared to their console counterparts, and it's not like they snap their fingers and say "PC build, materialize out of my ass" and wa-la they magically shit it out. So, yelling, "it's just not fair to us PC gamers," is horseshit, in my opinion. If you don't want to pay $60, then just say it, and don't pay it, but don't act like you're entitled to a discount just because you think you should be.

TheExodu5

Banned
They'll sell even less at $60.

And when did we act entitled in any way? We all said we're not buying it.

They can charge what I want. I don't give a shit. I have plenty of other games to play.

If I'm going to pay $60 for a pc game it better feel like a pc game. So many of these ports have local multiplayer stripped out, dlc unavailable, zero graphics options, etc.

kamspy

Are fast food Combo Meals still $4-$5?
Gallon of gas $1.25?
Packs of cigs $2?
Movie Theater tickets $5?

The price of almost all consumables have gone up. But who knows. Maybe forums of combo meal enthusiasts are outraged over rising prices too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom