• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only issue I've had with crossfire has been with Mass Effect 2. Ran it at 60 fps maxed on my single 5770, but dropped to 40 with crossfire enabled.
Every other modern game I've played has been fine, with a definite difference in fps with crossfire enabled.

So SC2 is on sale. I like AoE and the old C&Cs with base building and resource gathering etc. Will I like SupCom 2? Oh, and does it still support the awesome multi monitor option that the first one had (I read about it back then)?

1-D_FTW

brotkasten said:
So SC2 is on sale. I like AoE and the old C&Cs with base building and resource gathering etc. Will I like SupCom 2? Oh, and does it still support the awesome multi monitor option that the first one had (I read about it back then)?

There's a demo if you want to see for yourself. I'm 99.999 certain it still does. The whole point of that was to be able to scale out into the zoomable map (which is still in 2, awesome, and should be mandatory in all RTS games) while also being able to see up close at the same time. That scalable map is the greatest RTS invention ever IMO.

1-D_FTW said:
There's a demo if you want to see for yourself. I'm 99.999 certain it still does. The whole point of that was to be able to scale out into the zoomable map (which is still in 2, awesome, and should be mandatory in all RTS games) while also being able to see up close at the same time. That scalable map is the greatest RTS invention ever IMO.
My connection is pretty slow and I don't know when the deal is over. So I guess it isn't similar to the RTS games I mentioned.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Duxxy3 said:
Crysis 2 is $60?

Looks like i'm not buying it, just like i didn't buy MW2 and BLOPS for being $60...

their loss
For self-righteous-PCGAF, D2D is slinging it for $43 and some change because of the President's Day sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It's still incredibly pointless. And the fact that Solid Shield stuff leaked too means that the game will be cracked within 24 if not faster.
How do you know the details on how fast the Solid Shield key leaks will result in it being cracked? Did more than the keys leak? The only news story I saw (RPS?) mentioned it being just keys, potentially for multiplayer, as far as I know, but if you have more information you're welcome to share.

Also, I imagine that a month prior to release they were pretty close to locking down the build, if it was not already locked down, and trying to change/remove the DRM system would be a technical/delay risk at best, to say nothing of fighting with publisher agreements.

I am just happy that at least they are using limited installations that can be revoked. Better than Crysis 1 on Steam (but still, barf TAGES)...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Games d2d has preorders up for, to use the 20% off on:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*
-hunted the demon's forge*

*steamworks, according to this list (witcher 2 and dungeon defenders are only steamworks when bought on steam)

:D You start at level 5 and get an exclusive hologram decoy in multiplayer when you preorder Crysis 2? GG EA; guess I'm going back on my plan to preorder and now I'll be waiting until the price drops. I'm so sick of joining a multiplayer game to find a couple of blinged-out dipshits making it rain on the plebes. I miss the Counter Strike model, where if you want a better gun than me you have to beat me in a pistol duel in the first round like a man.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Durante said:
Oh wow I'm getting 2.6 MB/s from Steam today. Not terribly impressive, but almost 3 times as good as what I'm used to.
This got me wondering how preorders work. Do they preload during the week before launch, and then unlock on the launch day? Does steam behave itself in the background if you're playing another game (eg non steam retail game)

EviLore said:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*

*steamworks, according to this list (witcher 2 and dungeon defenders are only steamworks when bought on steam)

I can activate DOW2 retribution on Steam if I buy it from D2D right?

theBishop

Banned
EviLore said:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*

Hmm, Brink is very tempting. It's becoming very hard to decide between PS3/PC skus now that I've got a laptop and desktop capable of modern gaming.

1-D_FTW

brotkasten said:
My connection is pretty slow and I don't know when the deal is over. So I guess it isn't similar to the RTS games I mentioned.

I think it probably is, but I played those games so long ago (and not for very long) that I wouldn't want to lead you into the wrong direction with a definitive answer.

morningbus said:
I'd much rather pay 60 dollars than 50 euros for something.

Unless you mean that Europe is getting screwed too.

We are always getting screwed, but the prices of new games have always hovered around 50 euros.

Googled and saw that homefront will support steamworks.

mrklaw said:
This got me wondering how preorders work. Do they preload during the week before launch, and then unlock on the launch day?
Sometimes. Depends on the game. Some big releases have a pre-load. Others don't download until launch.

19Kilo

EviLore said:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*

Shogun 2 get. Thanks man.

amrod

LocoMrPollock said:
Are the 1st or 2nd worth getting? They look pretty rough.
They're in the backlog. I've heard they are a bit on the rough side, since the gameplay kept evolving with each game, reaching its peak with Blood Money. I got pretty far with it on the Xbox version, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got them these holidays as a gift from a friend, and I haven't had the chance to finally play them.

I fiddled around with them to see how would they run, and had to do some minor tweaking to get the first two of them running properly. Apparently they don't support widescreen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought Blood Money. It's $2.50, why not?

I also got Civ IV complete, it seems like a lot of game for only $7.50. Also bough Sim City 4, so it's a decent haul for today, I might get Magicka if I like the demo.

If Kane and Lynch 2 is $5 again tomorrow I'll get it.

Diebuster

LocoMrPollock said:
Are the 1st or 2nd worth getting? They look pretty rough.

It's been years so this could be nostalgia talking, but Hitman 2 is pretty great. Getting Silent Assassin ratings was so damn satisfying.

Either way, worth a shot for $2.50.

Forkball

Blood Money is a damn steal for $2.50. Also we only have two more days of the Squeenix sale. I hope you guys don't already own Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Kane and Lynch 2!

Forkball said:
I hope you guys don't already own Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Kane and Lynch 2!
I own neither, but I have only 10 bucks left in the old wallet. If I had to choose, which one should I go for? GoL? I haven't heard much about K&L2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SteelAttack said:
I own neither, but I have only 10 bucks left in the old wallet. If I had to choose, which one should I go for? GoL? I haven't heard much about K&L2.

Lara Croft is gonna be your best bet. It's a pretty good game, and you'll probably get a lot more playtime out of it than K&L 2.

vixlar said:
Civ 4 Complete @ $7.50... please, don't say no....

It's definitely a steal at that price, especially so if you don't have a Civ game already. I bought it for $30 awhile back, and even then, it was put on sale within a week, but never as low as this.

Joe Molotov

Sinatar said:
You're awfully thick you know.

Console version is $60, includes a $10 license fee to console owner. PC version is $60, there is no license fee yet we are still paying it.

What exactly aren't you grasping here?

But wait, Sinatar, you forgot about the licensing fee they have to pay for the ass-raping DRM. Guess that's where the extra $10 goes. You think Starforce is going to bend you over and penetrate you straight up to your pancreas with no lube for free?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Vastag said:
I'm going to start playing amnesia, any recomendation for some nice gaming headphones?
I have some RX700's, cost $40 and work great. They are semi-open though so they are audible for other people in the room on high volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom