• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
kamspy said:
Are fast food Combo Meals still $4-$5?
Gallon of gas $1.25?
Packs of cigs $2?
Movie Theater tickets $5?

The price of almost all consumables have gone up. But who knows. Maybe forums of combo meal enthusiasts are outraged over rising prices too.

You're awfully thick you know.

Console version is $60, includes a $10 license fee to console owner. PC version is $60, there is no license fee yet we are still paying it.

What exactly aren't you grasping here?

Javaman

kamspy said:
Are fast food Combo Meals still $4-$5?
Gallon of gas $1.25?
Packs of cigs $2?
Movie Theater tickets $5?

The price of almost all consumables have gone up. But who knows. Maybe forums of combo meal enthusiasts are outraged over rising prices too.

More copies are sold than decades ago so it's not necessary for prices to follow inflation.

kamspy

Sinatar said:
You're awfully thick you know.

Console version is $60, includes a $10 license fee to console owner. PC version is $60, there is no license fee yet we are still paying it.

Are you thick? What exactly aren't you grasping here?

Why are we comparing it to the console version?

I'm not defending every game costing $60. The game in discussion is Crysis 2. I don't see why they can't be right in charging $10 more than Kane and Lynch 2.

Sinatar

kamspy said:

I'm not defending every game costing $60. The game in discussion is Crysis 2. I don't see why they can't be right in charging $10 more than Kane and Lynch 2.

Right, whatever. You're either a troll or functionally stunted. I'm out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
More copies are sold than decades ago so it's not necessary for prices to follow inflation.
US PC versions tend to have lower sales over Console versions though, and are still likely lower then their levels in the 90s.

LocoMrPollock said:
So it's not "fair" to you because they don't get reamed in the ass on like 1/10 of their overall sales? Sorry, but that's just a poor excuse. It's not like the overall costs of development are cheaper.

Sorry, I just don't think I should be paying the console tax on a PC. Plus the last time I bought a game for $59 is when Heavy Rain came out, so it's not like I have a double standard for PC game pricing, as I don't accept it on consoles either.

Fox318

LocoMrPollock said:
Why should PC gamers pay less? You're usually getting a superior product that gets a fraction of the sales of console games.
Sinatar said:
Game manufacturers have to pay the console holders a licensing fee, this licensing fee does not exist on the open PC platform. Why the fuck are we paying a non existant license fee?
yup.

Kritz

Banned
I guess as far as fucking terrible regional price jacking goes, $70usd isn't that bad. Not compared to the $90usd Activision shit.

But even still, fuck that. Pricing over $50usd for a game just means I won't buy it. I would add an exception that I'd pay more for a game if it was really high quality, but the high quality PC games sure as fuck aren't these terrible call of duty clones that get shit out every month.

The PC market has better games to offer me at lower prices. If the solution to that is to charge more for shitty console port games, I can't say I'll be swayed.

kamspy said:

So Crysis 2 for consoles should be $70

nexen said:
For $3.75? Hell yes. I'm an insane cheapskate and don't even really like RTS games that much but it is a solid, fun game. It seems to me like the only reason it didn't do so well was because people like SupCom1 way better and expected more out of the sequel. Had this been a new ip I don't think it would've binned so hard.

SapientWolf said:
It's a pick up and play, smash-mouth RTS with a pretty great engine. It might have been better received if it had a different name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ZRG7moPfU
Well, in the end I bought it. Tried the demo and it ran decently, so it's pretty hard to overlook a solid title at such a low price. That video is insane, lol.

kamspy

CaptainAhab said:
So Crysis 2 for consoles should be $70

Well that kinda infers I think Kane and Lynch 2 should be $60 on consoles.

I just don't see a problem with variable pricing. I think it would do wonders for the industry. Hell, I think $50 is too much for most games. I guess my main point is the knee jerk reaction to any PC game costing more than $50 is a boring read. $60 as a standard for all EA PC games is a stupid decision in general, but that doesn't mean it can't be examined on case by case basis.

Mrbob

Wow that epic battle video sold me on Sup Com 2.

Is the DLC pack worth it if you aren't playing competitive multi for the game?

LocoMrPollock said:
So basically, you just don't want too.

Fair enough.

You don't get it or are you just pretending? 60$ on consoles includes rape-me platform holder fees, which are absent from the PC version. There is no reason for PC games to be priced like console games except "hey suckers! we can!".

senahorse

After seeing leaked footage of the PC version on youtube, I was rather keen to preorder Crysis 2, but at $70US I am hoping I can stay strong and hold out until a sale. It really shouldn't be that hard when I just preordered Portal 2 for $40 and AssBro (digi deluxe) for $50

Zzoram

Sinatar said:
Just looked it up, it's TAGES Solidshield and with DS2 you get 5 activations which you can revoke at will.

Any idea how you revoke? For SecuROM EA games they have a deauthorization tool on the EA website but this TAGES Solidshield thing is new.

Sinatar

Zzoram said:
Any idea how you revoke? For SecuROM EA games they have a deauthorization tool on the EA website but this TAGES Solidshield thing is new.

There is a file in the deadspace folder called activation.exe you can activate and deauthorize from there.

untitledz78l.jpg

Zzoram

Sinatar said:
There is a file in the deadspace folder called activation.exe you can activate and deauthorize from there.

untitledz78l.jpg

That doesn't seem so bad. I'm still going to wait on a sale for Crysis 2 though because I won't have time to play it until summer anyways. That plus my interest in first person shooters has fallen off dramatically over the past few years.

Shaneus said:
Bought Supreme Commander 2 ages ago, haven't played... is the cheap DLC worth it?
It doesn't add anything to the SP campaign, but it's a fair value at $2.49 as far as new stuff to mess around with in MP or skirmish. So it depends on whether you'll do any of that, really.

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
After seeing leaked footage of the PC version on youtube, I was rather keen to preorder Crysis 2, but at $70US I am hoping I can stay strong and hold out until a sale. It really shouldn't be that hard when I just preordered Portal 2 for $40 and AssBro (digi deluxe) for $50
It's $45 at Ozgameshop. Bleh to buying new games on Steam, it's never the best option.

senahorse

Fredescu said:
It's $45 at Ozgameshop. Bleh to buying new games on Steam, it's never the best option.

Thanks, great price, though I am trying to limit the amount of physical I have as I what I already do have takes up too much space as it is. I will probably end up just waiting for a sale :)

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
Thanks, great price, though I am trying to limit the amount of physical I have as I what I already do have takes up too much space as it is. I will probably end up just waiting for a sale :)
Rip an ISO and chuck the disk in the bin! :p

Spookie

Foliorum Viridum said:
Here in the UK EA games are £30 new, which is the same as other games on Steam. Guess we're lucky!

I caved in and pre-ordered Crysis 2. Bah!

EA's games are still the regular £24.99 if you shop around or quick off the mark in the case of game/gameplay.co.uk.

For a fiver I'd rather just do it via Steam than shop around and wait for post etc etc. £30 is still £10 less than console retail games and good value for money, IMO.

Sanjay

Spookie said:
EA's games are still the regular £24.99 if you shop around or quick off the mark in the case of game/gameplay.co.uk.

Dead Space 2 PC already at £14.99 at Gameplay.co.uk. This is why I want all games to support Steamworks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The master keys for Solid Shield leaked with the Crysis leak....

So why the fuck are they still using it?

Do they think we are illiterate fucktards? I mean every fucking single news article that mentioned the beta mentioned this. And why is Bioware now the only EA bitch that is allowed to drop games on Steam sans DRM? Oh I know, they had already fucked us in the ass with that pre-order bullshit.

Duxxy3

Crysis 2 is $60?

Looks like i'm not buying it, just like i didn't buy MW2 and BLOPS for being $60...

their loss

Shaneus

Castor Krieg said:
CD keys from Russia or Eastern Europe, if you do not activate it from Russia or country of sale = account banned.
Ah, really? I activated NFSHP here in Australia onto the EA downloader thingy no worries. It's not *just* overseas keys that get you banned, I don't think... I think it's the fact that they're stolen, isn't it? (I really don't know... I haven't kept that up to date with that sort of thing)

Anyway, the above guys actually provide you with a photo of the CD cover with the key. I was referred to them by someone else and will definitely do business again.

Shaneus said:
Ah, really? I activated NFSHP here in Australia onto the EA downloader thingy no worries. It's not *just* overseas keys that get you banned, I don't think... I think it's the fact that they're stolen, isn't it? (I really don't know... I haven't kept that up to date with that sort of thing)

Anyway, the above guys actually provide you with a photo of the CD cover with the key. I was referred to them by someone else and will definitely do business again.

I was speaking from experience - in Poland there are lots of offers on CD-keys for STEAM games, but all of them mention that the game has to be activated in the country where CD-key is from. If it works for you then no worries.

Lime

Stallion Free said:

Do they think we are illiterate fucktards? I mean every fucking single news article that mentioned the beta mentioned this. And why is Bioware now the only EA bitch that is allowed to drop games on Steam sans DRM? Oh I know, they had already fucked us in the ass with that pre-order bullshit.

Don't forget the 256x256 resolution textures!

Seriously, all of this fucking bullshit with pre-order DLC, ass-raping DRM and bad ports to PC are making me extremely weary of current gaming. These days I have to research the fuck out of every goddamn PC release of high-budget games if I want to make sure not to be ass-raped. It's incredibly frustrating.

Stallion Free said:

Do they think we are illiterate fucktards?
That doesn't mean anything; they'll just release the game protected with different keys, which they'd have done anyways.

Those weren't "master keys" for Solid Shield generally, as there aren't any such things.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
slidewinder said:
That doesn't mean anything; they'll just release the game protected with different keys, which they'd have done anyways.

Those weren't "master keys" for Solid Shield generally, as there aren't any such things.
It's still incredibly pointless. And the fact that Solid Shield stuff leaked too means that the game will be cracked within 24 if not faster.

Shaneus

Castor Krieg said:
I was speaking from experience - in Poland there are lots of offers on CD-keys for STEAM games, but all of them mention that the game has to be activated in the country where CD-key is from. If it works for you then no worries.
Ah shit, tough luck man. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Lime said:
Don't forget the 256x256 resolution textures!

Seriously, all of this fucking bullshit with pre-order DLC, ass-raping DRM and bad ports to PC are making me extremely weary of current gaming. These days I have to research the fuck out of every goddamn PC release of high-budget games if I want to make sure not to be ass-raped. It's incredibly frustrating.
Fucking talk to me about bad ports. Seems like every title that doesn't support Crossfire (therefore runs like shit due to negative scaling) is a fucking console port. Let me run a few off the top of my head:

Dead Rising 2
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Blur
Test Drive Unlimited 2

For older games it's understandable... most DX9 shit doesn't support it out of the box, but for games that are <12mo. old to run like arse on a PC like mine because it has two video cards? Lazy. Fucking. Port.

There are a few exceptions (Mirror's Edge, Just Cause 2 and most Codies games spring to mind) but by and large the multiplatform releases on PC are lazy as fuck.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think Crossfire support may be more of ATI's fault because Nvidia is all the fuck over it's SLI and damn near every game gets a profile.

Shaneus said:
Fucking talk to me about bad ports. Seems like every title that doesn't support Crossfire (therefore runs like shit due to negative scaling) is a fucking console port. Let me run a few off the top of my head:

Dead Rising 2
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Blur
Test Drive Unlimited 2

For older games it's understandable... most DX9 shit doesn't support it out of the box, but for games that are <12mo. old to run like arse on a PC like mine because it has two video cards? Lazy. Fucking. Port.

There are a few exceptions (Mirror's Edge, Just Cause 2 and most Codies games spring to mind) but by and large the multiplatform releases on PC are lazy as fuck.

I've been curious about this since adding another 5870 to my system. Do you just turn off crossfire in CCC when playing those games? Also, is there a comprehensive list of games that don't support crossfire?

Shaneus

blackMamba1187 said:
I've been curious about this since adding another 5870 to my system. Do you just turn off crossfire in CCC when playing those games? Also, is there a comprehensive list of games that don't support crossfire?
Despite the 58xx being ridiculously cheap now (if you can find them) I'm now realising that it's not worth the trouble. The games that support it look insane (Just Cause 2 <3), but it seems like a vast majority just don't benefit from it. A surprising number actually scale negatively (ie. actually run WORSE than with a single card).

If what Stallion Free said is true about SLI, I'd look at ditching the 5870 for whatever price you can get for it and heading down the Nvidia route. Or overclock your current card if you haven't already... Radeon's always kick arse in that aspect. Each of my 5850s (that can be voltage modded, thank you ASUS) are running at 850MHz (stock 700) GPU and 1200MHz (stock 1000) memory.

Oh, and to actually answer your question, I use an app called RadeonPro that manages GPU profiles for certain games. It's the only way I can get semi-decent performance out of older/unoptimized games without dicking around in CCC each time.

PS. Anyone know when the daily deals change over this week? SupComm 2 is still up :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom