• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second one is short but has an interesting presentation. I don't know much beyond those generalisations. I've got both sitting in my cart right now, not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

jaundicejuice said:
The second one is short but has an interesting presentation. I don't know much beyond those generalisations. I've got both sitting in my cart right now, not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying it mainly because of Shanghai.

chixdiggit said:
PC version has co-op.

I cannot co-op with my gf on one PC, can I?

Hmm, at 4.99 I'm quite hesitant to pull the trigger on either. Especially when there's still one day left and the TR games are still a possibility.

chixdiggit

Castor Krieg said:
Ok......................................how does it work? Two people on one keyboard? Two controllers?

2 controllers would be the best. Or I'm sure one keyboard and one controller would work as well.

Majeh

Castor Krieg said:
Ok......................................how does it work? Two people on one keyboard? Two controllers?

Game plays better with a controller so that would be ideal. KB+M and one controller should work though.

edit: beaten, lol.

Zzoram

Seeing the Steam pop-up with Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm at $59.99 followed by Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at $49.99 and Portal 2 at $44.99 only makes the $59.99 price look worse.

Zzoram said:
Seeing the Steam pop-up with Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm at $59.99 followed by Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at $49.99 and Portal 2 at $44.99 only makes the $59.99 price look worse.

You could always pre-order off of Direct to Drive...

EviLore said:
Games d2d has preorders up for, to use the 20% off on:

-rift
-dragon age 2
-homefront
-crysis 2
-shogun 2*
-dungeon defenders
-the witcher 2
-bulletstorm
-the sims medieval
-brink*
-assbro
-dow2 retribution*
-hunted the demon's forge*

*steamworks, according to this list (witcher 2 and dungeon defenders are only steamworks when bought on steam)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
LocoMrPollock said:
Is the second any better? I'm a bit leery after getting burned by the first.

Kane and Lynch 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played. There is nothing redeeming about it, and the shaky cam actually makes me sick. It's as if they tried to fail.

That said, it was fun in the same way that 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand was fun. Get some of your friends over there to play the game while drinking, and you'll have a great time mocking the game and questioning why the developers thought any of it was a good idea. So I hate the game, but give it a thumbs up.

vocab

jaundicejuice said:
You could always pre-order off of Direct to Drive...

Nah. That's just a slap in the face to steam users. It should be 20% off everywhere. Like why the fuck is Dragon Age 2 Under $50 on Amazon, but $60 on steam? It's like we are paying a premium for digital content. Fuck that noise. Epic and EA can blow me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sooperkool said:
No need to spend that much, the 770's and 880's will work too. Just add a Zalman mic if you need to chat.
They will but they're about the same price as the 990s, for whatever reason.

vocab said:
Nah. That's just a slap in the face to steam users. It should be 20% off everywhere. Like why the fuck is Dragon Age 2 Under $50 on Amazon, but $60 on steam? It's like we are paying a premium for digital content. Fuck that noise. Epic and EA can blow me.
Valve gets a cut of the sales on Steam. If console licensing fees justify a $10 price increase then so do Steam licensing fees.

Zzoram

SapientWolf said:
Valve gets a cut of the sales on Steam. If console licensing fees justify a $10 price increase then so do Steam licensing fees.

Valve's cut is no bigger than D2D or GamersGate or any other digital distributor.

SapientWolf said:

Steam also controls like what, 70 to 80 percent of the DD PC game market?

That's why you should spread your purchases around, and pay less.

Chacranajxy said:
Kane and Lynch 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played. There is nothing redeeming about it, and the shaky cam actually makes me sick. It's as if they tried to fail.

That said, it was fun in the same way that 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand was fun. Get some of your friends over there to play the game while drinking, and you'll have a great time mocking the game and questioning why the developers thought any of it was a good idea. So I hate the game, but give it a thumbs up.

Guess I'll have to pass then. My days of boozing and gaming are long past, ever since my daughter emerged from my wife's vagina.

epmode

I will never, ever understand the nutjobs who hang around arguing for the publisher in cases like this. I guess it makes sense if they're primarily console players, but WTF. Leave it up to Pachter or someone who actually gets paid to be a corporate shill.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zzoram said:
Valve's cut is no bigger than D2D or GamersGate or any other digital distributor.
I heard a hot rumor that Valve is taking 30% off the top, but all that info is protected.

Castor Krieg said:
Retailr gets even bigger cut, yet boxed copies are 10$ cheaper.
Retailers tend to loss lead on games to get warm bodies in the store to buy the goods with the better margins on them. Fry's Electronics usually drops a tenner off the price at launch.

edit: Even more evidence of this: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/25533/Furious-retailer-ditches-games-attacks-industry

Here is an example of the video gaming industry greed: they set the retail price at just $5 above the product cost (buy it for $54.99, sell it for $59.99). When we sell a game we make on average 8.3% gross margin

epmode

SapientWolf said:
I heard a hot rumor that Valve is taking 30% off the top, but all that info is protected.
Every developer interview I've seen that discusses this confirms the 30% cut. And that's identical across the DD board.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
epmode said:
Every developer interview I've seen that discusses this confirms the 30% cut. And that's identical across the DD board.
So I think D2D is putting on a sale to try to make up for the Steam switching costs. Which is smart, because people sure don't want to switch.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I actually like the K&L2 demo, enough that I was considering playing full price for it before it ended up getting slammed by reviewers and most of GAF. I guess good things come to those who wait, just got it for $5 instead of $60.

should be worth the price of a footlong from subway

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Guys what's the name of the Steam Linking program? (Points a HDD to another, etc). I knew it was posted here but can't find it by Google or anything. Wrong name probably.

Nabs

Snuggler said:
I actually like the K&L2 demo, enough that I was considering playing full price for it before it ended up getting slammed by reviewers and most of GAF. I guess good things come to those who wait, just got it for $5 instead of $60.

should be worth the price of a footlong from subway

welcometopcgaming.gif

Ok, so I bought SupCom 2 and it's pissing me off.
Is there a reason my ACU and Engineers won't build half the time?
It's not a lack of Energy/Mass, so what the hell?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kane & Lynch 1 has local co-op, K&L2 does not. K&L1 is a ton of fun in co-op, I blew threw it in a couple of sittings with my brother using the MKB (he's more used to it) and I used a 360 pad.

If you can get a set up like that I definitely think it's worth the 5$ (I love co-op with my bro so I didn't mind the 50$ on release).

Baki said:
Green Man Gaming is doing Civilizations 5 for £12.50 (50% off). Steamworks compatible as well.

PS: 2 hours before the sale ends.

I buy Civ 5, they say their site is fucked and I have 12 pounds of credit now and no game. I try to buy again and it says it's processing.

They'd best give me my game.

Baki

TouchMyBox said:
I buy Civ 5, they say their site is fucked and I have 12 pounds of credit now and no game. I try to buy again and it says it's processing.

They'd best give me my game.

That's strange. I bought it just fine yesterday. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom