• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiztfc

TouchMyBox said:
I buy Civ 5, they say their site is fucked and I have 12 pounds of credit now and no game. I try to buy again and it says it's processing.

They'd best give me my game.

Yeah the same is happening to me...

Baki

luiztfc said:
Yeah the same is happening to me...

What the hell is happening here?!

PS: I used PayPal to pay?

PSS: Check your mail? Also after payment you should be redirected to the download page?

luiztfc

Baki said:
What the hell is happening here?!

PS: I used PayPal to pay?

PSS: Check your mail? Also after payment you should be redirected to the download page?

I used paypal as well and didn't receive any email.

Salaadin

Are there any good ways to get your Steam games to appear in Windows 7 Games Explorer yet? I remember a program that used to do it for you but it didnt work right for me and hasnt been updated in 2 years.

Salaadin said:
Are there any good ways to get your Steam games to appear in Windows 7 Games Explorer yet? I remember a program that used to do it for you but it didnt work right for me and hasnt been updated in 2 years.

It's perfectly representative of Microsoft's activity in PC gaming. I gave up on that shit a long time ago.

Civ 5 isn't even listed where it was when I ordered a few minutes ago. Hopefully this works itself out. I don't really have need of a $20 credit. Clicking it in the top sellers list brings up a page that cannot be found.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread but I bought it on Steam and there's no where else to ask:
I bought Sim City 4 last night, and I'm having some issues with it. For starters, it's older than I thought and I can't set it to 1080p so the game appears to be strerched which doesn't look good. I can tolerate that, but I'm also getting some where graphical glitches. When I pan the camera or drag a road, a nasty mess of textures appears on the screen, blocking everything. I want to enjoy the game but it's tough with this stuff happening.

Looks like I'm late, Civ 5 isn't even listed now. It's a shame, the price is really great.

Edit: ^ I don't have Sim City 4 so I can't help, but when I have issues with steam games I usually find the answer in the Steam forums. Try here.

Chris R

Sucks I missed out when JC2 went on sale earlier this week :( Was going to buy a few copies for some friends due to how kick ass it is. Weekly sales don't normally do recap sales right?

Got a reply from Greenman

I'm sorry for the problem. We didn't anticipate such a high demand and we have run out of keys to give to people. We will honor your purchase as soon as we can get more keys from the publisher on Monday, or refund your money, again on Monday.

Please accept our apologies for this problem.

Alan Lenton
Green Man Gaming

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tiagomnh said:
Edit: ^ I don't have Sim City 4 so I can't help, but when I have issues with steam games I usually find the answer in the Steam forums. Try here.

Cool, looks like it's a common issue and there's no easy fix so I'll just have to play it on my laptop someday. I got Civ 4 too so I'll just go with that to satisfying my Sim craving.

zoku88

Snuggler said:
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread but I bought it on Steam and there's no where else to ask:
I bought Sim City 4 last night, and I'm having some issues with it. For starters, it's older than I thought and I can't set it to 1080p so the game appears to be strerched which doesn't look good. I can tolerate that, but I'm also getting some where graphical glitches. When I pan the camera or drag a road, a nasty mess of textures appears on the screen, blocking everything. I want to enjoy the game but it's tough with this stuff happening.
I'm not sure if this works in Windows, but this is what I do in Linux for SC4

wine SimCity4.exe CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1200x32 -CPUCount:1

Those last two things aren't wine options, I think, so they're simcity options, I guess.

So, maybe try adding -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1200x32 -CPUCount:1 to the shortcut or something.

Salaadin

TouchMyBox said:
It's perfectly representative of Microsoft's activity in PC gaming. I gave up on that shit a long time ago.

Damn, I was hoping that I could get all of my games in one place. Even dropping/dragging shortcuts into the Games Explorer doesnt work the way it should. Why does it have to be so stupid?

Salaadin said:
Damn, I was hoping that I could get all of my games in one place. Even dropping/dragging shortcuts into the Games Explorer doesnt work the way it should. Why does it have to be so stupid?

Yep, it kinda sucks. But hey, steam is pretty now! and you can add games to steam which makes the graphical steam grid view less pretty, but it's functionally what you want, I guess.

Salaadin

TouchMyBox said:
Yep, it kinda sucks. But hey, steam is pretty now! and you can add games to steam which makes the graphical steam grid view less pretty, but it's functionally what you want, I guess.

I usually keep Steam in small mode and for some reason, it isnt keeping my category setups for non steam games. It always shoots them back out into the main list.

Majeh said:

Well, that gets the gamn into the Games Explorer but it still doesnt let me launch from there.

Next thing Im going to do is just create my own folder and throw all my game shortcuts into there, create a new toolbar for it, and be done with it.

kamspy

Salaadin said:
I usually keep Steam in small mode and for some reason, it isnt keeping my category setups for non steam games. It always shoots them back out into the main list.

It's been doing the same thing to me. I keep all my EADM and D2D games in there and it's really annoying. I'm guessing an update messed it up or something.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
Kane & Lynch 1 has local co-op, K&L2 does not. K&L1 is a ton of fun in co-op, I blew threw it in a couple of sittings with my brother using the MKB (he's more used to it) and I used a 360 pad.

Your brother sounds cool, peasant.

Smash88

Banned
kamspy said:
It's been doing the same thing to me. I keep all my EADM and D2D games in there and it's really annoying. I'm guessing an update messed it up or something.

Try deleting your clientregistry.blob file.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Snuggler said:

SimCity 4 is a mess on modern computers. Here's something that will help:

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1200 -f -intro:eek:ff -CPUP -EH:eek:ff

You can add these in the "set launch options" in the proprieties tab on Steam. Change the resolution to something that suits you. I'm not sure that the -CPUCount:1 suggested by zoku88 works, but it doesn't hurt to leave it on.

HOWEVER, SimCity has a pretty shitty performance on modern machines. People have been telling me that alt-tabbing out of the game and setting the affinity of the process to one processor only seems to help. Also, disable shadows (put them on the lowest settings), as they''re a drag on your performance. Lowering the animation of the city can also help you big time.

Too bad that the game performance on huge-ass cities is still really poor. Every time you pan or zoom the playing field, it takes a good 5 seconds to load all the textures it has to load. Lowering animations helps a little, but doesn't fix the problem. Nothing does.

The "big blobs of textures" you're mentioning sound familiar to me. I think i experienced them earlier, on my retail SimCity 4 copy. I think it has to do with your videocard drivers and the Software/Hardware rendering setting on SimCity itself. Leave it on Software. Causes less errors and the performance is better, believe it or not.

One last thing: save compulsively. Every little thing you do that you think is worth your time, just save it. SimCity 4 likes to just randomly crash to desktop without any warning, making you lose all your progress. In theory, setting the affinity of the process to one CPU, like I said earlier, either diminishes or completely fixes this issue, but better safe than sorry.

I'm really sad that they didn't clean up the version on Steam, because I really wanted to properly play the game. I bought it because people (both here on GAG and on the Steam Forums) said the Steam Version of the game was better than the boxed original copy. Too bad they were wrong.

Finished downloading both Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Dog Days while I was out grocery shopping. When I try to play Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, it keeps failing to launch on the initial set-up. I restart my machine, verify the integrity of the local files, nothing gets update, launch the game, it fails to launch on the initial set-up yet again. I scroll through the Kane & Lynch Steam forum, there's a topic on the first page with a few other users having the exact same problem, with one person offering some unhelpful advice (basically what I've already done). I scroll back a few pages more and find this topic. The 25 easy steps you need to take to enjoy Kane & Lynch: Dead Men...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689094

himselfe from the Steam forums said:
25 Easy steps to playing 'Kane & Lynch: Dead Men':

1. Launch game, watch it die for no reason.
2. Google why game doesn't start.
3. Manually start the install process for GFW, because the auto-install fails for no apparent reason. (see: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...hp?t=1082262#7)
4. Launch game.
5. Try and log into GFW while game shows stuff in the background which you can't see behind the GFW crap.
6. Accept the GFW update, and watch the game die.
7. Launch game.
8. Try and log into GFW.
9. Watch the convenient ingame mouse cursor disappeare whenever the GFW interface that requires a mouse pops up.
10. Accept another GFW update, and watch the game die.
11. Launch game.
12. Try and log into GFW.
13. Accept another GFW update, and watch the game die.
14. Launch game.
15. Try and log into GFW but find out you don't have a gamer tag.
16. Launch a browser window which minimises game
17. Create an XBOX LIVE account... what the hell? I don't have an XBOX.
18. Get assigned some random crappy gamer tag.
19. Close browser window
20. Quit game
21. Launch game
22. Log into GFW
23. Get told "A player has logged in", thank you now ♥♥♥♥ OFF.
24. Play game.
25. Enjoy the weird and unnatural disorientating "stylistic" camera angle.

You have to manually install GFWL first, which is in your Steam client directory (Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\kane and lynch dead men\XLiveRedist), before attempting to launch the game. The game won't see that you don't have the client installed, then prompt you to install GFWL, it just fails on the auto-install. What the fuck Microsoft/Eidos.

Edit: Yup, took about that many steps, which is absolutely ridiculous. Launching the game, logging in, forced to do an update which automatically quits the game, repeat the same process two or three times and then you can finally play the game. The experience of Games For Windows Live versus Steam is perfectly demonstrated With Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Kane & Lynch: Dog Days. With GFWL I had to jump through multiple hoops just to play the damned game, with Steam it just worked, I launched Dog Days and I could play right away. Imagine that!

The biggest thing that annoys/puzzles me about Games For Window Live is that you can't use your mouse to navigate their client. I can't believe that, who designed this? How do you do that? How do you make an application for the PC that doesn't allow you to use a mouse to navigate it? How?

legacyzero

Banned
Lost the fight with myself and got Dog Days. Taking Tylenol in preparation for impending head-ache from shaky cam and film grain.

Mainly wanted it for the co-op and heist modes.

jaundicejuice said:
Edit: Yup, took about that many steps, which is absolutely ridiculous. Launching the game, logging in, forced to do an update which automatically quits the game, repeat the same process two or three times and then you can finally play the game. The experience of Games For Windows Live versus Steam is perfectly demonstrated With Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Kane & Lynch: Dog Days. With GFWL I had to jump through multiple hoops just to play the damned game, with Steam it just worked, I launched Dog Days and I could play right away. Imagine that!

I tried to reinstall Arkham Asylum the other day for a second playthrough, and after trying to log into my gfw account for about 45 mins I just gave up and uninstalled it.

I certainly hope so. Either a good deal on Guardian of Light, or a Hitman-like sale on Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. I would consider double dipping if the latter.

John

Stallion Free said:
I was being nice to him. I'm not the dick who forces the guest to use the lesser method of control.
host etiquette in the 21st century :p

personally i'm hoping for the last remnant. i haven't played a decent jrpg in a loong time.

I don't know if this is common knowledge yet, but Direct2Drive is having a President's Day Sale with everything in the store being 20% off when you enter "hailtothechief" as a promo code. Since Civilization V is already marked down to $30, you can stack it to make Civ V $24 and activate it on Steam. I did it, it works.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/product/Buy-Sid-Meier’s-Civilization-V-Download

Not a bad deal for those burned by Green Man Gaming.

Wow, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is only five hours long. I played it on medium and replayed The Choice twice to experience both endings. It was an enjoyable distraction, but I'm glad I didn't pay much for it. On to Dog Days.

IceMarker

DyslexicAlucard said:
I don't know if this is common knowledge yet, but Direct2Drive is having a President's Day Sale with everything in the store being 20% off when you enter "hailtothechief" as a promo code. Since Civilization V is already marked down to $30, you can stack it to make Civ V $24 and activate it on Steam. I did it, it works.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/product/Buy-Sid-Meier’s-Civilization-V-Download

Not a bad deal for those burned by Green Man Gaming.
Must resist... Steam summer sale in a few months... Civ V for even less possibly... BAH I MUST HAVE IT NOW JUST TO HAVE IT

confused

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Wow, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is only five hours long. I played it on medium and replayed The Choice twice to experience both endings. It was an enjoyable distraction, but I'm glad I didn't pay much for it. On to Dog Days.

The second is even shorter !! :lol

Still great games, though

kamspy

jaundicejuice said:

Wait a couple weeks or it's gonna seem like Dog Shit compared to Dead Men.

Best part of Dog Days is playing the MP and arcade modes. Fun little heists.

Ros8105

So i'm trying to buy the tomb raider games and i'm getting this error:
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Anyone know what's up with this? I'm using paypal btw.

Now it says:
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

confused

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
Hm, was that Lara Croft DLC already included in the Square Enix Complete Pack? I don't see it in the list. Can I check it somewhere?

Click your user name in the top right corner of the Steam client. Shows you your full Steam purchase history.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Is Underworld shitty?

No, it is not. It is quite short though.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Is Underworld shitty?
Played and finished it on 360. It's not shitty at all. It's a damn fine game and worth considering at that price.

I just pulled the trigger on GoL (yay) and double dipped on Anniversary.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TR Anniversary is the best environmental-puzzle/platformer in a long time. If you thought the puzzles and platforming in Uncharted were offensively easy, then buy this game. Fucking fantastic.

Legend fucks with the ratio and has a bit too much combat, but it's still quite good.

Underworld is a real stunner on PC and is incredibly well optimized. It has some incredibly well done and immersive water segments. Comes damn close to Anniversary's greatness IMO.

All three games can be a bit finicky with the camera angles during platfomring.

Guardian of Light is a must buy if you enjoy videogames. Honestly the only flaw the game has is that it ends. So good that it's worth playing once in singleplayer and then again in co-op to experience the changed puzzles.

All of these games have perfect 360 pad support with proper button prompts and rumble support.

Bear

Stallion Free said:
Underworld is a real stunner on PC and is incredibly well optimized. It has some incredibly well done and immersive water segments. Comes damn close to Anniversary's greatness IMO.

Is it? I remember reading somewhere that I should avoid the PC versions of Legend and Underworld, but if the UW port is good then I'll definitely get it at this price. I played the first two or three levels of the 360 version and really enjoyed it.

Oh, and is Anniversary's PC port good? If so I'll buy the two of them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom