• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Quick non-Steam question for you guys: If I buy a key for a game that's GFWL-based, can the entire game be downloaded or do I need the disc?

Weenerz

Banned
Shaneus said:
Quick non-Steam question for you guys: If I buy a key for a game that's GFWL-based, can the entire game be downloaded or do I need the disc?

I don't know if GFWL games are able to be registered with Steam, if they are, then once you register with Steam, you don't need the disk.

Spwn

Schmattakopf said:
I swear someone in this thread just suggested a screenshot feature.

How recently? I think the screenshot feature has been in the beta client for a couple of weeks so people knew to expect it.

Forkball

The next step for the screenshot function is to allow users to search through all photos by game or via tags or the captions. Maybe even a rating system, so people can check out the top pictures.

Forkball said:
The next step for the screenshot function is to allow users to search through all photos by game or via tags or the captions. Maybe even a rating system, so people can check out the top pictures.

You can do that for your individual collection. Plus that would only work if everyone 'published' their favorite shots and set their profiles to public.

A better next step would be to allow us to select the compression/file size level of the jpegs.

Blizzard

Banned
Now if only the client let you press Ctrl-F to search, like normal web browsers! I'm pretty sure it didn't the last time I checked.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Now if only the client let you press Ctrl-F to search, like normal web browsers! I'm pretty sure it didn't the last time I checked.

Ya, scrolling through my friends list trying to find one specific person is kind of annoying.

iavi

Blizzard said:

I wish the client would implement game specific bookmarks, with resumable tabs/pages. not having to navigate to the FAQ for every game I use one in would be a godsend. Do you hear me, Valve? it would be a GODSEND. And I really can't see it being something that would increase the footprint of the overlay all that much, I have no clue though.

Forkball said:
The next step would be video capture.

Does anyone know if the screenshot feature works with non-Steam games that have been manually added to the Steam launcher? Like if I add Minecraft to the Steam launcher will the screenshots work?

Edit:
Also those who have been bad-mouthing Red Alert 3 it is not bad at all. Single player campaigns are awesome.

iavi

Eaten By A Grue said:
The next step would be video capture.

Not just capture, livestreams. Imagine this, see somebody playing a solo game? Jump in on a feed of said session, giving the origin user the option to deny requests, of course. Voice/txt chat would be handled within the client.

I've was having a conversation a while back over what these platform services--Steam. XBL. PSN--could implement down the line feature-wise. I say this here because Steam, atm, seems to be the most progressive of the three.

Edit: People were taking Minecraft shots while the client was in beta, I would think the functionality is still there.

Shaneus said:
Ah, so no downloading the full game through GFWL once you provide a key? Bugger.

Not unless you purchased it through their store, then you can download it as much as you want.

If you just have a legitimate key, you could probably download it through other means and then activate it.

Nice, I sometimes had crashes when I launched certain games from steam, mainly non-steam games while RadeonPro was running. That seems to have been fixed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
graywolf323 said:
wait how are you playing Suikoden III via Steam?
Though a PS2 emulator, PCSX2. Like I said, for some non-games, steam keeps the name. You can also rename the shortcut in steam of non-steam games to make them say what you want, so I changed the name of the PCSX2 shortcut to "Sukioden III" while playing it.

PS2 games are also super easy to play, you just pop them in the DVD drive and go. You can also just make them into ISOs, which speeds them up. Game needed a decent amount of Speedhacks to get running at 60 FPS, since there is something bottle necking performance. Just use the newer revisions, slide the preset speedhack to 6, disable preset, up VC Cycle stealing to 3, and change VU Clamping to Normal. Animation is a bit janky, but I am not sure if that is due to the game being old, the speedhacks, the higher resolution, or just the emulator.

Steam-registerable Medieval II Total War Gold is $3.74 for the next 24 hours.

Nice.
I have some credit with them, so I guess this is a good time to use it.

graywolf323

Drkirby said:
Though a PS2 emulator, PCSX2. Like I said, for some non-games, steam keeps the name. You can also rename the shortcut in steam of non-steam games to make them say what you want, so I changed the name of the PCSX2 shortcut to "Sukioden III" while playing it.

PS2 games are also super easy to play, you just pop them in the DVD drive and go. You can also just make them into ISOs, which speeds them up. Game needed a decent amount of Speedhacks to get running at 60 FPS, since there is something bottle necking performance. Just use the newer revisions, slide the preset speedhack to 6, disable preset, up VC Cycle stealing to 3, and change VU Clamping to Normal. Animation is a bit janky, but I am not sure if that is due to the game being old, the speedhacks, the higher resolution, or just the emulator.
okay now I just gotta figure out how to make my DualShock 3 work on my PC and I will definitely be doing that o_O

btw sent you a friend request on Steam

stuminus3

Pardon my ignorance if this was discussed recently, but why is there a Dungeon Siege 3 banner that says "Pre-purchase now" that also has logos for Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 on it (I assume as a pre-order incentive?), but you can't actually pre-purchase yet? I'd bite for a good deal on the first two games (I loved the second one but for some reason I only have the disk for the first game), and DS3 was pretty much a guarantee for me anyway since it's an Obsidian game.

stuminus3 said:
Pardon my ignorance if this was discussed recently, but why is there a Dungeon Siege 3 banner that says "Pre-purchase now" that also has logos for Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 on it (I assume as a pre-order incentive?), but you can't actually pre-purchase yet? I'd bite for a good deal on the first two games (I loved the second one but for some reason I only have the disk for the first game), and DS3 was pretty much a guarantee for me anyway since it's an Obsidian game.

Yeah, you receive both 1 and 2 with purchase of part 3.

Forkball said:
Agricultural Simulator 2011: Extended Edition is 10% off. Now with multiplayer chat!

Oh boy!

Zzoram

Forkball said:
Agricultural Simulator 2011: Extended Edition is 10% off. Now with multiplayer chat!

It actually looks kinda good and interesting. No reviews though.

If it controls well and has fun modes/missions it could be a great game.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm having trouble connecting my 360 controller to my PC?

It's a wireless controller and I have it connected with a Play and Charge Kit. I don't have the rechargeable battery back anymore, I just have the double A batter back in there.

Windows recognizes the device as "360 Controller via Play and Charge Kit" but I can't get it to work with any games. I'm using Guardian of Light to test and the Gamepad options are greyed out.

I downloaded the drivers from MS site but it didn't fix it. Any help?

Ermac said:

It's a wireless controller and I have it connected with a Play and Charge Kit. I don't have the rechargeable battery back anymore, I just have the double A batter back in there.

Windows recognizes the device as "360 Controller via Play and Charge Kit" but I can't get it to work with any games. I'm using Guardian of Light to test and the Gamepad options are greyed out.

You need a wired 360 controller. A wireless 360 controller doesn't send any data through the Play and Charge cable.

Ermac said:

You can only use the play and charge kit to charge it. You need a dongle to actually use it as a controller.

NIN90

Ermac said:

I know what you are thinking. Yes, Microsoft are greedy bitches.

Ledsen

Zzoram said:
It actually looks kinda good and interesting. No reviews though.

If it controls well and has fun modes/missions it could be a great game.

Yeah I'm thinking my girlfriend could get into this. Economic simulation+farm+animals=win. Wonder how it is.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, you receive both 1 and 2 with purchase of part 3.

I guess that'll sort of make Dungeon Siege 1 the first Microsoft game to hit Steam. Yes I know they don't have the rights to it anymore and won't be hitting steam with anything else so zip it.

graywolf323

MrNyarlathotep said:
Look into motioninjoy

I've tried that in the past to no avail :-(

Sinatar said:
I guess that'll sort of make Dungeon Siege 1 the first Microsoft game to hit Steam. Yes I know they don't have the rights to it anymore and won't be hitting steam with anything else so zip it.

The Movies was on Steam at some point I forget if that was Microsoft or not but it was Lionhead

wish I could have bought it before it got pulled :-(

Miri said:
I wish the client would implement game specific bookmarks, with resumable tabs/pages. not having to navigate to the FAQ for every game I use one in would be a godsend. Do you hear me, Valve? it would be a GODSEND. And I really can't see it being something that would increase the footprint of the overlay all that much, I have no clue though.

This is one of my biggest basic-functionality wishes for Steam. I would really love a few more features added to the browser.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
graywolf323 said:

The Movies was on Steam at some point I forget if that was Microsoft or not but it was Lionhead

Actually the movies was published by Activision, this was pre MS buyout.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
LocoMrPollock said:
You can only use the play and charge kit to charge it. You need a dongle to actually use it as a controller.

Well Frak

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
graywolf323 said:

Well, if you ever want a hard copy for the cost of shipping, let me know.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
stuminus3 said:
"Pre-Purchase Now"
*click*
"Psyche!"
-____-
"Shogun 2 - Demo Now Available"
*click*
"6GB LULZ!"
-____-

graywolf323 said:

Did you try it before it got signed as an actual MS-certified application?

I dunno, it works perfectly for me as a wired controller using 360 emulation, I just have to make sure I disconnect the controller through the app before disconnecting it physically, or it turns on my PS3 (lol).

So I take it C&C 3 is the best of the games that are on sale? I already own RA3: Uprising from back when it was on sale for $2.50 or something, and enjoyed it enough to put 8 hours into it according to Steam. Haven't played anything else from the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom