• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

19Kilo

Sir Garbageman said:
Awesome, will pick it up when I get home. Its been on my wishlist for a while.

Been on my wishlist forever too, finally nabbed it. Also got the deal on Napoleon the other day and I guess I'll finally get Rome on Steam this weekend since it will only be $2.50. I think I have 3 copies of it elsewhere. I'm such a sucker :)

dani_dc

Thanks.

I know the site said it was only playable via steam but since it wasn't on the list I was worried it was just a mistake.

Will buy, have been wanting to give those games a try, the idea of conquering Europe with Portugal in a game has always appealed to me.

graywolf323

MrNyarlathotep said:
Did you try it before it got signed as an actual MS-certified application?

I dunno, it works perfectly for me as a wired controller using 360 emulation, I just have to make sure I disconnect the controller through the app before disconnecting it physically, or it turns on my PS3 (lol).

it's my bluetooth adapter it doesn't recognize even though the id is one their list of supported devices

maybe because it's internal I dunno

19Kilo said:
Been on my wishlist forever too, finally nabbed it. Also got the deal on Napoleon the other day and I guess I'll finally get Rome on Steam this weekend since it will only be $2.50. I think I have 3 copies of it elsewhere. I'm such a sucker :)
I picked up the Medieval deal too. Sorry I missed Napoleon though. I'll probably also pick up Rome over the weekend.

Mrbob

Dice said:
"Pre-Purchase Now"
*click*
"Psyche!"
-____-
"Shogun 2 - Demo Now Available"
*click*
"6GB LULZ!"
-____-

Yeah the Shogun 2 demo is big but if you can grab it I would do so. I haven't played a Total War game in a long time but I'm digging the Shogun 2 demo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:
Yeah the Shogun 2 demo is big but if you can grab it I would do so. I haven't played a Total War game in a long time but I'm digging the Shogun 2 demo.
Really enjoyed it, but it felt a bit schizo. How much will it require you to be good at civilisation style campaigning *and* wargaming? Also there seems to be tons of options. Amazing sense of scale though.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:

Yup, totally sold me on it.

19Kilo

Suairyu said:
Worth the upgrade over Rome? Or are the differences merely academic?

I think it's worth it just for the mods alone (Stainless Steel, The Third Age), especially at that price.

But for both games in their vanilla state I prefer Rome, mainly for the setting. Medieval is still a blast though.

Forkball

Orayn said:
Can I take screenshots of anything that I run the Steam overlay on? If so, that's a very nice, convenient feature.
Yes you can. I've taken pictures of Minecraft that I run through Steam, and it adds it to my screenshot album. It even recognizes the game as Minecraft, so you can filter the photos like by each game.

Volcynika

Forkball said:
Yes you can. I've taken pictures of Minecraft that I run through Steam, and it adds it to my screenshot album. It even recognizes the game as Minecraft, so you can filter the photos like by each game.

It probably only knows the game name by the name you give it when you add a non-Steam game. A person on my friends list named it "Moinecraftu" and that's what it displays in the screenshot stuff, at least on my blotter.

Forkball

Volcynika said:
It probably only knows the game name by the name you give it when you add a non-Steam game. A person on my friends list named it "Moinecraftu" and that's what it displays in the screenshot stuff, at least on my blotter.
Right, but it's still cool that it files it under the name you give the shortcut and not some catch-all term for games that aren't available on Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, they are smart enough to not let you do that. Now, I was able to get Defcon from them for free a few months back, and trade it in the same day for $1, meaning I got Medieval 2 for $2.74.

leroidys

Lord this game is huge. The base game is 7 gigs and the expansion is nearly 12. Is there any reason to have the vanilla version installed or is everything available through the expansion?

You have to have the base game installed for the expansion. The expansion's 12 gig listed size does include the 7+ of the base game, so it's an extra 5 or so.

x3sphere

Soo... got RA3 on Steam, whenever I go into the multiplayer menu the game freezes up, not literally freezes but none of the menus are clickable - thus making the game unplayable, at least online. Anyone run into this issue?

My friend just got the game and he's also experiencing it.

x3sphere said:
Soo... got RA3 on Steam, whenever I go into the multiplayer menu the game freezes up, not literally freezes but none of the menus are clickable - thus making the game unplayable, at least online. Anyone run into this issue?

My friend just got the game and he's also experiencing it.

Any more word on this? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this tomorrow, so anyone else with info would be appreciated.

leroidys

slidewinder said:
You have to have the base game installed for the expansion. The expansion's 12 gig listed size does include the 7+ of the base game, so it's an extra 5 or so.

Ahh thats good thanks. I was afraid it would install the data for the base game twice.

legend166

Oh, ok.

On another note, my brothers mate bought a new laptop and is trying to install Steam. The problem is, it's getting stuck at "Updating Steam Platform". I told him to try and go a fresh install, and nothing works. Any ideas?

koji

legend166 said:
Oh, ok.

On another note, my brothers mate bought a new laptop and is trying to install Steam. The problem is, it's getting stuck at "Updating Steam Platform". I told him to try and go a fresh install, and nothing works. Any ideas?

Hmm, try deleting ClientRegistry.blob in the steamfolder and restart steam.

Slavik81

legend166 said:
Oh, ok.

Sure it's stuck? That bit takes a fairly long time.

Woah (891 MB) update for those who own both Serious Sam I & II:

Serious Sam HD Fusion DLC Pack Released

Serious Sam is like a gift that keeps on giving. Devolver Digital and Croteam has released a free Fusion Downloadable Content Pack to owners who have both Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter. Customers who purchase Serious Sam HD series for the first time will also receive the free update!

The Serious Sam HD Fusion DLC Pack combines all the campaign and multiplayer levels from Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter into Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter for the ultimate in classic first-person shooter mayhem. For the first time ever, players will enjoy new modes like Beast Hunt and My Burden using the classic maps from Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom