• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Whoa, I never noticed this, but the screenshots you take can appear as a background for the game's page in your library. It even does this for non-Steam games.

Volcynika

Forkball said:
Whoa, I never noticed this, but the screenshots you take can appear as a background for the game's page in your library. It even does this for non-Steam games.

Yeah, it adds it to the cycling screens. Really cool feature.

Nakazato said:
so out of those C&C games which ones are worth buying ??

The ones that come to you as gifts. :p

If find it tempting to buy C&C3 though. But even that one has that awful DRM. And at 5 euros, it still isn't that great a deal either.

(I mean, Crysis + warhead was 5 euros back in the holiday sales. Now that's a great deal. 5 bucks for something that's really rather meh-ish is not. Unless someone feels compelled to gift to me or something. Then I might reconsider.)

Zeitgeister said:
The ones that come to you as gifts. :p

If find it tempting to buy C&C3 though. But even that one has that awful DRM. And at 5 euros, it still isn't that great a deal either.

(I mean, Crysis + warhead was 5 euros back in the holiday sales. Now that's a great deal. 5 bucks for something that's really rather meh-ish is not. Unless someone feels compelled to gift to me or something. Then I might reconsider.)
C&C has awful DRM?

kamspy

Schmattakopf said:
Apart from the theme, Red Alert 3 has a naval focus. C&C3 has no naval units at all.

From the vids it seemed like RA3 had a fixed camera like StarCraft and C&C3 had a camera like SupCom.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
kamspy said:
From the vids it seemed like RA3 had a fixed camera like StarCraft and C&C3 had a camera like SupCom.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

No the camera is identical between the two.

The big difference between RA3 and C&C3 (other the the setting obviously) is the focus on cooperative play in RA3. Every mission in RA3 partners you with another general (who can be human controlled or AI) whereas C&C3's campaign is a purely solo affair.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Posted this in the BIT.TRIP thread but I suppose it should be mentioned here as well.

Gaijin Games just announced BIT.TRIP Runner will be coming to Steam tomorrow.

In honor of our nomination for Best Visuals in the 2011 IGF, we’ve worked our fool asses off to get BIT.TRIP RUNNER out on Steam so everyone can experience these award-worthy visuals in ultra-high resolution for the first time!

Also, there are achievements, new difficulty modes, and online leaderboards. Oh, and it looks AMAZING in HD.

RUNNER, don’t walker to Steam tomorrow and support your favorite video game development studio of ALL TIME!

Continue rocking on. Over and out.
Pretty sure it's for both PC and Mac since they had some pictures of Runner on a Mac monitor a few weeks ago on their blog.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f7OZpuffM
GiantBomb Quick Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bittrip-runner/17-2503/

Shaneus

Posting from my phone, but had to mention (courtesy of the Steam FB page) that Valve will be unveiling controller support for the client at GDC! So happy, <3 Valve.

Javaman

Relax.MX said:
Spell Force Games..50%

Worth? the 2 need the first one?...

I bought them last night but the first one pissed me right off. The max res was showing up as like 1280x1024 and once I selected it the screen went permanently blank apart from the curser. There was no "keep this setting" confirmation screen to allow me to revert. After looking through a couple config files to no avail I had to uninstall and reinstall it just to get another chance. Freaking horrible first impression.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Where is my weekday sale? I'm about to go to another service if I have to wait any longer.

Also, Impulse got Quake 4, I wonder if that will hit Steam soon? I enjoyed the campaign a lot so I wouldn't mind not having to reinstall from the discs next time I get a hankering.

Javaman

Just tried it again and I don't even get any visuals at all from start up. Apparently the settings are saved somewhere in the registry or a folder somewhere so it keeps the same settings even after deleting and reinstalling the game. What a fucking piece of shit.

(Played on a 460gtx)

1-D_FTW

Bit.Trip.Runner is now available. Have just enough money in my wallet to buy. Anyone want to be the guinea pig and make sure it passes muster?

Bebpo

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Bit.Trip.Runner is now available. Have just enough money in my wallet to buy. Anyone want to be the guinea pig and make sure it passes muster?

I picked it up to support Vic since I heard good things about it. Game runs fine, has a million video resolutions with 59/60hz versions. Native X360 controller support, leaderboards and apparently facebook/twitter integration coming later. The only weird thing is that leaderboards only show your steam friends and your ranking I think? I don't have any steam friends with the game yet so the leaderboards just show me and my world rank (got #14 on 1-4; guess not many people are playing ^^;).

I can't tell yet if it's worth $9, but if you watch some youtube videos you can probably figure it out if it's worth it to you.

epmode

Javaman said:
Just tried it again and I don't even get any visuals at all from start up. Apparently the settings are saved somewhere in the registry or a folder somewhere so it keeps the same settings even after deleting and reinstalling the game. What a fucking piece of shit.

(Played on a 460gtx)
I've never installed this game so I don't know for sure if this'll work:

Try looking for the save folder somewhere in your OS drive. If you have Win 7, it'll probably be somewhere in c:\users. You could probably delete the entire entry then validate the game (right click the game in the Steam app, Properties, Local Files) so it redownloads the important stuff.

vocab

Bit Trip runner is actually pretty decent. Ill wait till it's really cheap before picking it up. I don't recommend Bit.Trip.Beat though. That game just causes too much eye strain. Not really that fun either.

What's BTR like? Is it as hard as SMB? I couldn't even finish the first world of SMB because it couldn't interest me (not because I couldn't beat the light world). Is BTR like running to the right with trippy visuals and avoiding obstacles?

vocab said:
Bit Trip runner is actually pretty decent. Ill wait till it's really cheap before picking it up. I don't recommend Bit.Trip.Beat though. That game just causes too much eye strain. Not really that fun either.

Oh really? I really dug Bit.Trip.Beat, once you got into the swing of things and found the beat I found I got into the zone where your eyes glaze over and the next thing you know you have a phenominal score. Didn't suffer from eyestrain either, but I only played it in short intervals every now and then. Will probably wait for Runner to drop in price during the summer sale before I pick it up though ... steam has made me a bad game supporter :(

Javaman

epmode said:
I've never installed this game so I don't know for sure if this'll work:

Try looking for the save folder somewhere in your OS drive. If you have Win 7, it'll probably be somewhere in c:\users. You could probably delete the entire entry then validate the game (right click the game in the Steam app, Properties, Local Files) so it redownloads the important stuff.

There's a folder in My documents called "Spellforce" with a single file in it, Log.txt. It lists system information. Also in Steam's common folder is one called "spellforce platinum edition" that has a config.lua file but it lists everything but the resolution.

Code:
Graphic =
{
	AvoidExcessiveFrameBuffering = 0,
	VSync = 1,
	FlatShades = 1,
	EffectLightmap = 1,
	EnvironmentMapping = 1,
	AdornMode = 2,
	ObjectFadeDistance = 75,
	ShadowType = 3,
	TextureQuality = 4,
	Filtering = 0,
	ScreenResolution = 7,
}
Sound =
{
	SpeakerType = 1,
	Channels = 1,
	VolumeSpeech = 100,
	Speech = 2,
	VolumeSFX = 100,
	SFX = 1,
	VolumeMusic = 20,
	Music = 2,
}

I'm going to delete the file and revalidate with steam. maybe it's a bug in the game that ditches the res info

edit, looks like it has the resolutions internally defined. Deleting and verifying didn't add it back in but another one generates when launching the program. As soon as I tried bumping the res up it did it again. I guess I'm stuck playing it at 1024. :eek:P

vocab

ChoklitReign said:
What's BTR like? Is it as hard as SMB? I couldn't even finish the first world of SMB because it couldn't interest me (not because I couldn't beat the light world). Is BTR like running to the right with trippy visuals and avoiding obstacles?

Not that kind of game. It's like a rhythm based platformer.

Joe Molotov

Relax.MX said:
Homefront hats for TF2? wtf wrong with me...I'm about to buy it

Someone? help?

Why would anyone try to stop you, Homefront looks awesome. Buy it, and support $50 pricing....and Freedom.
yNzhu.gif

I've got an interesting problem...apparently Steam won't let me buy any games right now. I can add things to my cart but once I hit checkout, it takes me to the game's store page and wipes my cart clean. I've tried restarting and my client is up to date. Any ideas on how to fix this?

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh a friend and I were starting work on a rhythm based platformer 4 years ago (both Computer Science and Engineering students, inspired by GH), but never got passed planning and engine/language selection. Bit Trip is almost exactly what I envisioned it would be. :eek:

edit: omg Steam has an iTunes style search feature! Finally!

ch0mp

Gully State said:
I've got an interesting problem...apparently Steam won't let me buy any games right now. I can add things to my cart but once I hit checkout, it takes me to the game's store page and wipes my cart clean. I've tried restarting and my client is up to date. Any ideas on how to fix this?

No, but you can buy stuff on the web site too. http://store.steampowered.com/

Weenerz

Banned
I keep thinking to myself, do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item

and yet I really want to buy Homefront of the TF2 item, FUCK!

Psy-Phi

Weenerz said:
I keep thinking to myself, do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item do not buy Homefront for TF2 item

Unless you want to play Homefront, no virtual item is worth $50. Just think of another game you could buy that you actually want instead.

KarmaCow

Weenerz said:

Apparently it has the genuine tag so it might get added to the normal drops after the game comes out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Weenerz said:

Tell you what. You buy Homefront, keep the TF2 and gift me the game. Everybody wins!

Mrbob

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is now unlocked on Steam!

Also you can buy all the DLC packs together in one bundle for $4.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom