• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen too much of Homefront, but the fact that a pre-order comes with Metro 2033 and a TF2 hat, will probably end up pushing me over. I have the itch to buy a new game. It's been an awful month for me. I just want some mindless violence

My internet is in full swing, all steam domains down, steam down. Edit - back up again, client update prompt, only out for like 30 minutes in total I guess.

Forkball

I got Braid during the Humble Bundle last Christmas. Am I the only person who wasn't blown away by this game? Maybe because I expected a platformer and not a puzzle game, but honestly I was pretty unimpressed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Forkball said:
I got Braid during the Humble Bundle last Christmas. Am I the only person who wasn't blown away by this game? Maybe because I expected a platformer and not a puzzle game, but honestly I was pretty unimpressed.
I thought it was good, but thought PB Winterbottom was much better. I think after the intellectual hype had died down Braid was still a solid game, just not as amazing as reviews suggested.

Oreoleo

The puzzles are a little too puzzling. Braid left a bad taste in my mouth. PB Winterbottom is much better.

I thought it was good, but thought PB Winterbottom was much better.
yeaboikurtcobain.gif

vocab

Forkball said:

Same here, I thought it was pretty crappy.

Forkball said:

No, you're not. Interesting mechanics and the game looks good but I just didn't enjoy playing it. It's like banging your head against a wall the game. Before people assume I'm stupid I did finish all the levels on my own except for a couple which I looked up the solution for. To me the whole thing was more clever than fun. Maybe it's just not my kind of game though. I do have to give props to the last level and ending which was really cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Whenever I play Braid it's hard not to keep thinking about quotes from J. Blow and picture like his head popping up at random points to tell me that every other game on my Steam list doesn't dseserve to be called a videogame or some shit.

It kind of ruins it.

Lime

Stallion Free said:
Whenever I play Braid it's hard not to keep thinking about quotes from J. Blow and picture like his head popping up at random points to tell me that every other game on my Steam list doesn't dseserve to be called a videogame or some shit.

It kind of ruins it.

Separate artist from artefact.

Air Zombie Meat said:
No, you're not. Interesting mechanics and the game looks good but I just didn't enjoy playing it. It's like banging your head against a wall the game. Before people assume I'm stupid I did finish all the levels on my own except for a couple which I looked up the solution for. To me the whole thing was more clever than fun. Maybe it's just not my kind of game though. I do have to give props to the last level and ending which was really cool.

This.

As a game, it´s more interesting than fun, just as Heavy Rain is.

denomes

NightSky by Nifflas (of Knytt, Saira, and Within a Deep Forest fame) has been added to Steam. It was rejected upon release, if I remember correctly. I might pick it up. I don't think his previous title, Saira, has ever went on sale before.

Also, this oddity, Dinner Date, was just added as well. Sounds strangely experimental, and hence, right up my alley. Might give it a shot for $4.50.

EDIT: They are both IGF-nominated games.

MoFuzz

Stallion Free said:
It's impossible when said artefact reeks of the creator's severe douchery.
Hmm, that's kinda how it is with the PC screenshot thread and its creator though.

I <3 you Stallionz

Joe Molotov

denomes said:
NightSky by Nifflas (of Knytt, Saira, and Within a Deep Forest fame) has been added to Steam. It was rejected upon release, if I remember correctly. I might pick it up. I don't think his previous title, Saira, has ever went on sale before.

Also, this oddity, Dinner Date, was just added as well. Sounds strangely experimental, and hence, right up my alley. Might give it a shot for $4.50.

EDIT: They are both IGF-nominated games.

Steam has been adding several IGF nominated games over the past week, and discounting the ones that were already on Steam. It's a cool promotion IMO, I'll be picking up most of these (probably pass on BUTTON, it only looks fun with 4 people).

denomes

Joe Molotov said:
Steam has been adding all the IGF Finalists over the past week, and discounting the ones that were already on Steam. It's a cool promotion IMO, I'll be picking up most of these (probably pass on BUTTON, it only looks fun with 4 people).

I love this time of year for all the strange IGF games that crop up on Steam. What other titles have shown up as part of this promotion?

Even BUTTON looks like a cool throwaway for a night with some friends.

EDIT: Sweet tag by the way. I'll check some out.

Bebpo

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Steam has been adding several IGF nominated games over the past week, and discounting the ones that were already on Steam. It's a cool promotion IMO, I'll be picking up most of these (probably pass on BUTTON, it only looks fun with 4 people).

Still, I think it's pretty lame of steam to be rejecting indie games (or retail games) and then once they have an "IGF NOMINATED" sticker on them, accepting them.

Steam should be less picky about what it lets onto the store. There's too much subjective control in whoever gets to pick which games are "steam-worthy" and which are not. It hurts the platform just like Sony's rejectment of many Japanese PS1/PSP/PS2/PS3 games has.

Amnesia The Dark Descent is on sale for a tenner. Now let me preface this with the fact that I am a huge pussy, but I am curious about this game. Should I buy it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bebpo said:
Still, I think it's pretty lame of steam to be rejecting indie games (or retail games) and then once they have an "IGF NOMINATED" sticker on them, accepting them.

Steam should be less picky about what it lets onto the store. There's too much subjective control in whoever gets to pick which games are "steam-worthy" and which are not. It hurts the platform just like Sony's rejectment of many Japanese PS1/PSP/PS2/PS3 games has.
I find stuff like this fairly embarrassing:

ss_0e48e280581bcb02e47777f65a37ed1c45e6bfff.1920x1080.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:

Tell me about it. I played The Oil Blue (indie game) and one of the biggest requests from people was "put it on Steam!" and Steam rejected it. Why? WHY!? I just don't GET it. It's a great game. UGH.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Notrollious said:
Amnesia The Dark Descent is on sale for a tenner. Now let me preface this with the fact that I am a huge pussy, but I am curious about this game. Should I buy it?

Hell yeah, it's scary as shit (being a pussy will make that even better) and a solid game to boot. Friction did a great job with making you feel like you're inhabiting a body, almost like Mirror's Edge even though it's obviously an entirely different kind of game. Frantically opening a dresser to hide in has never felt so authentic.

Oh yeah, and I love the physics. Sometimes when I have a peaceful moment I like to throw things at other things just to watch them fall.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Orellio said:
The puzzles are a little too puzzling. Braid left a bad taste in my mouth. PB Winterbottom is much better.

yeaboikurtcobain.gif
Too puzzling? Braid was easy mode compared to the adventure games they put out in the 90s.

Instro

Stallion Free said:
I find stuff like this fairly embarrassing:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/99700/ss_0e48e280581bcb02e47777f65a37ed1c45e6bfff.1920x1080.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I take it they never fixed the resolution?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If that's World of Goo, you can change the resolution by tweaking the files. It's 640x480 by default (blame the Wii!).

Instro

denomes said:
This just occurred to me. I assumed he meant the aesthetic.

Well iirc the really poor resolution was the reason it was denied from Steam in the first place, so it is a bit embarrassing that it has been added without fixing that.

Lyphen said:
If that's World of Goo, you can change the resolution by tweaking the files. It's 640x480 by default (blame the Wii!).

NightSky actually.

denomes

zombieshavebrains said:
Is that world of goo?

No, but World of Goo suffers from a similar problem, if I remember correctly (and if it hasn't since been patched).

Instro said:
Well iirc the really poor resolution was the reason it was denied from Steam in the first place, so it is a bit embarrassing that it has been added without fixing that.

Saira (the developer's previous Steam game) also ran at a really low resolution.

Lyphen said:

Last I checked, doing so causes certain menu items to display off the screen.

Snuggler said:
Hell yeah, it's scary as shit (being a pussy will make that even better) and a solid game to boot. Friction did a great job with making you feel like you're inhabiting a body, almost like Mirror's Edge even though it's obviously an entirely different kind of game. Frantically opening a dresser to hide in has never felt so authentic.

Oh yeah, and I love the physics. Sometimes when I have a peaceful moment I like to throw things at other things just to watch them fall.

So lights off and headphones on for this? I'm kinda excited and kinda scared at the same time.. What the hell is wrong with me?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I love Saira and I was definitely looking forward to NightSky but that's pretty embarrassing to see that the game is blurry as hell like that which World of Goo also did. Am I going to have to fix things through the ini. if I buy it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Notrollious said:
So lights off and headphones on for this? I'm kinda excited and kinda scared at the same time.. What the hell is wrong with me?

Of course. At night as well, and make sure that there is no one else around.

Not encouraging this type of behavior, but I like to get a little baked before playing it for an extra intense experience. Just be sure to use your lantern conservatively, it fuggin sucks to run out of oil in a dark area.

nexen

I played Amnesia. At first it was kind of boring but with great physics and a nice creepy atmosphere. Then I made it to the water section.

It was like it took one of my most terrifying recurring nightmares and made me live through it with a keyboard and mouse.

It is a damned fine game but I don't know if I will ever play it again. Are there any other parts later on that get under your skin as badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom