• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Does anybody know how to get Steam to continue your downloads as you're playing a game? I've got the Witcher running here, and dl's paused.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Miri said:
Does anybody know how to get Steam to continue your downloads as you're playing a game? I've got the Witcher running here, and dl's paused.

Alt + tab out, right click the download and select pause then resume and you can return to the game with the download in progress.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I REALLY wish Valve would give the option to disable the auto-pause. Downloads should automatically continue in the background.

iavi

Snuggler said:
Alt + tab out, right click the download and select pause then resume and you can return to the game with the download in progress.

Thanks! Weirdest thing is, I alt-tabbed out just now and, for like the first time ever, it wasn't paused... will keep for future use.

mclem said:
Hang on, when did NightSky sneak out? Are there any reviews around yet?

I actually like the game a lot. It is Marble Madness meets Limbo. It may be a bit short (I am 5 levels in to 11 level game and I have been playing for 74 minutes), but it has already made it worth it with clever puzzles and great sound design. The way the music fades in and out with natural sounds is just fantastic. There is also a harder difficulty that I haven't even touched yet, but the decription makes it seem like a "second quest" of sorts. I say buy the game, but turn off the turtorials. It is much better experience that way in my opinion.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just bought the Ubisoft pack. 3$ a game is way too good to pass up even if i dont get around to playing them for a long while. They are big games too.

coopolon

nexen said:
Do you still need the discs to play or will the download manager handle drm? I keep wanting to play DA:O again but don't feel like digging out the disc.

Nope, just downloaded DA:O via EA Download manager using my cd key from my retail copy and it runs fine without the disc. Can even run it without EA download manager running.

coopolon

scorpscarx said:
Not sure if its an error but Dead Space 2 is showing $39.99 for me right now, snap it up!!!

They've been giving away 40% off codes tonight with their flash deals, but obviously will only work on EA store. But that brings it down to $24 on PC.

Edit: 3deadsp8c32

That's the code. Not sure if it is still working.

bigace33

Got Call of Juarez for 3.99 on Amazon instead of buying the full UBI pack.(didn't really want FC2 or AC1). Can I activate Call of Juarez on steam?

coopolon said:
They've been giving away 40% off codes tonight with their flash deals, but obviously will only work on EA store. But that brings it down to $24 on PC.

?, I'm talking about Steam. Not following you.

edit-- witchery is afoot.

coopolon

bigace33 said:
Got Call of Juarez for 3.99 on Amazon instead of buying the full UBI pack.(didn't really want FC2 or AC1). Can I activate Call of Juarez on steam?

no.

Edit: I believe this is the list of games you buy somewhere else and activate on Steam.
?, I'm talking about Steam. Not following you.

Right. DS2 price has dropped to $40 pretty much everywhere, it's not a special deal that is going away I don't think. And EA is also selling it right now for $24.

Nabs

scorpscarx said:
Not sure if its an error but Dead Space 2 is showing $39.99 for me right now, snap it up!!!

It's not a mistake. If you're not in a rush to play it, I'd recommend waiting for a bigger drop later down the line. If you're ok with EA Store, there is a 40% off deal right now http://www.facebook.com/eaflashdeals. I don't know if it's still going on.

This trend for games to drop 1/3 in price in a month is crazy to me, release the games cheaper you dirty basterds.

Yes guys I bought at $60 on steam at launch. The only game of the year that I will do that probably.

coopolon

scorpscarx said:
This trend for games to drop 1/3 in price in a month is crazy to me.

Yes guys I bought at $60 on steam at launch. The only game of the year that I will do that probably.

Yah, EA is pretty aggressive with their pricing recently. Hell, just look at Medal of Honor, it's already down to $20 most places and it was a major release and only been out for what? 5 months?

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is like $17 this weekend some places too.

coopolon said:
Yah, EA is pretty aggressive with their pricing recently. Hell, just look at Medal of Honor, it's already down to $20 most places and it was a major release and only been out for what? 5 months?

What it feels like is some shady way to discourage used game sales by gamestop and also by individuals on craigslist, the bottom dollar just got even lower for sellers when compared with new. But they are whoring out these games in the process.

coopolon

scorpscarx said:
What it feels like is some shady way to discourage used game sales by gamestop and also by individuals on craigslist, the bottom dollar just got even lower for sellers when compared with new. But they are whoring out these games in the process.

Keep in mind this pricing model is primarily on the PC where reselling is less of an issue. Dead Space 2 is still $59.99 MSRP on consoles.

bigace33

scorpscarx said:
Bruh, low prices are good for consumers. Especially in this economy. I'd much rather pay 17 dollars as opposed to 60 dollars.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
coopolon said:

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is like $17 this weekend some places too.
NFSHP was in the running for GOTY at Giant Bomb, so I guess Criterion can do no wrong.

coopolon

SapientWolf said:
NFSHP was in the running for GOTY at Giant Bomb, so I guess Criterion can do no wrong.

Yah, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to pick it up for $17. With how anti-Steam EA has been recently, it might be awhile until we see this good of a price on Steam.

Big weekend for me! Medal of Honor for $13.5, Call of Juarez for $4, and NFSHP for $17.

Edit: AND I'm still thinking about Fallout New Vegas for $20 at Gamestop (registerable on Steam.) Trying to decide if my new years resolution of never buying a game for more than $20 includes tax and shipping, because then it's $25.

Twig

Banned
scorpscarx said:
"shady"

Are you fucking dumb?

bigace33 said:
Bruh, low prices are good for consumers. Especially in this economy. I'd much rather pay 17 dollars as opposed to 60 dollars.

Moral of the story, never buy pc games at launch, not even one a year.

Wild variable pricing to maximize 1st month buyers, unknowns after that, dlc shindiggery, "pre-ordering." I'm personally not a fan of any of the above, but this sucks because I do love gaming and have to wait months after releases for the full game plus a price that I can agree with...

""shady"

Are you fucking dumb?"
What the hell is your problem.

bigace33

scorpscarx said:

Wild variable pricing to maximize 1st month buyers, unknowns after that, dlc shindiggery, "pre-ordering." I'm personally not a fan of any of the above, but this sucks because I do love gaming and have to wait months after releases for the full game plus a price that I can agree with...

Yep. I almost always wait for price drops. I have a wife and kid that could use that money more than those game companies. Lol thanks to steam I'm buying good games for just a few dollars.

coopolon

scorpscarx said:

It's all about what it is worth to you. You got to play Dead Space 2 the day it was released, got to talk about it with whoever you know who was also playing it, maybe got to participate in the conversation in the OT, etc. All of that has value. Everyone who waited till it $40 is just now getting around to it, multiplayer might not be as alive as it was at launch, Ot might not be as alive, etc. People like me who are waiting for it to hit $20, those problems are even more amplified.

Twig

Banned
scorpscarx said:
What the hell is your problem.
Where I come from, "shady" has negative implications. If you'd like to further explain why a positive thing - games not sticking at 60 bucks for a year - is negative, then by all means, be my guest. As it is, you're not doing a good job.

Twig said:
Where I come from, "shady" has negative implications. If you'd like to further explain why a positive thing - games not sticking at 60 bucks for a year - is negative, then by all means, be my guest. As it is, you're not doing a good job.

You don't understand me at all and perhaps you should have read my other posts before that, I hate gamestop and $60 price tags, but I do love selling console games to people on craigslist for more than gamestop will give them. Now most of these high profile games other than black ops, lose their value so fast that its cheaper to just buy it new by the time I would want to resell them.

You can kneel down and apologize to me now if you must, being so distraught and angered over one word.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Lowering the price on the new games is still not shady just because it hurts your prices in the secondary market.

bengraven

God

Damn

That Ubi deal is nice. Wouldn't mind switching out Rainbow Six for something else, but it's still nice for $13

Xavien

K.Jack said:
I REALLY wish Valve would give the option to disable the auto-pause. Downloads should automatically continue in the background.

Indeed :( I mean some games don't handle Alt+Tab well and crash, so it can impossible to resume downloads sometimes.

Some good games in that Ubi pack too, brought.

bigace33 said:
Does Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 have a good single player campaign? I may jump on that for for 1.99 at amazon. lol

I remember that game being very very fun and I played it on the most gimped version, ps3.
Definitely worth it for that, it feels pretty different than most shooters.

Twig

Banned
scorpscarx said:
You can kneel down and apologize to me now if you must, being so distraught and angered over one word.
Nothing you've said has convinced me that you're anything BUT upset over games being cheaper in the long run, so I'm not sure why you expect an apology. The damning evidence follows:
Now most of these high profile games other than black ops, lose their value so fast that its cheaper to just buy it new by the time I would want to resell them.
OH BAW BAW I CAN'T SELL ON CRAIGSTLIIIIIST

Maybe you should go outside, take a deep breath of fresh air, and think about life.

Twig

Banned
Well, since you're clearly never going to actually DEFEND your position, it looks like we're done.

I still recommend going outside, though. Outside can be just as fun as trolling on the internet!

Blizzard

Banned
scorpscarx said:
How irrelevant are you going to get, why haven't you been banned.
He has been, like four times. Just be nice to him and quote his avatar. :p

On a more on-topic note, seeing the Dreamcast games pop up today was surreal. I was like, IT'S THINKING

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm holding off on the Dreamcast games until they give in a release SEAMAN on Steam~~~

Anyways, I wish I had known about that Dead Space 2 deal on EA.com before I went ahead and spent my gaming monies for the time being. Oh well, it's not like I don't have a list of 70+ games to play. I did go ahead and buy Far Cry 2 for $4 from Amazon since it was the only game I cared about it that pack, can't argue with a price like that. It's like half the price of the DLC pack that's included with the game, LOL.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
He has been, like four times
I think it's been more. But who's counting? (Somewhere, in a far off land, someone waits patiently with a knife, ready to carve another tick in the wall.)

Twig said:
I think it's been more. But who's counting? (Somewhere, in a far off land, someone waits patiently with a knife, ready to carve another tick in the wall.)

I thought I covered my tracks pretty good...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lasthope106 said:
How in the hell is Dead Space 2 already $40? It came out like a month ago. Sheesh.

it's just naturally working it's way towards the price it should have been from the start

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There is nothing shady about lowering the price "quickly", it is one strategy to try and keep buyer surplus low and to keep some buzz around a game (Since price drops tend to get advertised). You sell the game to the people who are willing to pay $60, then the $50, then $40, ect ect, and you should be able to maximize profits.

It can backfire in the long run, since you could lower the perceived value of a product, but I think EA is handling it pretty well, considering they are trying to sell games on a yearly basis, instead of someone like Nintendo who wants to be able to sell the same game for 6 years at the same price, like Super Mario 64 DS or Twilight Princess.

(It could also happen in the short run too, where you aggressively lower the price so much people start questioning the quality, but that doesn't happen to often)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom