• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hope he doesn't end up like that guy who posted his SSN to advertise his identify theft prevention company. Although if I try those details it just gives "incorrect login" - not something saying I am not on the authorized computer.
Edit article was incorrect the password was in the comments:
MoolyFTW

Gives an unauthorized screen like you would expect.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SapientWolf said:
Telling hackers something is impossible to crack is a foolproof way to get them to crack it.
Which means that while the thing is in the testing phase, any issues/vulnerabilities in the system can be worked out before it goes "final".

No system is unhackable, and yes, I half expect at least one clever hacker to post a screenshot of Gabe's Steam account, but this is just one added layer of security after all, not a replacement to the current system.

Rich!

Stop It said:
Which means that while the thing is in the testing phase, any issues/vulnerabilities in the system can be worked out before it goes "final".

No system is unhackable, and yes, I half expect at least one clever hacker to post a screenshot of Gabe's Steam account, but this is just one added layer of security after all, not a replacement to the current system.

And going by the usual Valve, that hacker may well then be an employee of sorts. Fix those issues, heh.

I can't wait for the TV visual mode. It'll be superb for my HDTV.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Lol what, are they going to get his account VAC banned? Lock him out of his account?
It's actually a clever trick -- anyone who tries an unauthorized login will activate Gabe's TRAP CARD, resulting in a counterspell VAC ban for being so foolish.

Draft

Not surprising that Gaben would have a shitty, easy to crack pw. No numbers, no special characters... did he learn nothing from the leak :lol

amrod

Zimbardo said:
Medal of Honor received a price drop on Steam recently. from $39 down to $29.
it's on sale for $14 on Impulse ...

http://www.impulsedriven.com/medalofhonor

i'll wait for a deal on Steam or D2D. i've been buying a lot of games lately, so i should really play those ...but damn, $14 ...crap!

I have used direct2drive, EADM and Steam... What a POS place Impulsedriven is ... I bought it and have had nothing but problems with them trying to get my key. AVOID :p!

I also think they put on a charge because I paid with paypal of .50 to my total

kamspy

Am I doing something wrong? I reformatted this morning, and the first thing I do after a reformat is see if my Crysis activations are blown, and it still runs.

I'm way past 3 reformat's too. Probably double that, at least.

What constitutes losing an activation for that game?

amrod said:
What a POS place Impulsedriven is ... AVOID :p!

Agree 100%. I'd rather buy something from GFWL. The only thing I take impulse over is THQ Store and Ubi store, and that's only because they both have download limits.

EADM is so underrated. I probably sound like a shill by now, but it's a really great client. Perfectly basic UI, and it always maxes my connection speed.

Blizzard

Banned
kamspy said:
Am I doing something wrong? I reformatted this morning, and the first thing I do after a reformat is see if my Crysis activations are blown, and it still runs.

I'm way past 3 reformat's too. Probably double that, at least.

What constitutes losing an activation for that game?
Stallion just reported the same thing, and he had to go through the hassle of contacting EA support last time he ran out. It is POSSIBLE that there was some stealth removal of the limit, I suppose, or else maybe just reformatting doesn't count as changing your hardware. I don't know.

Corky said:
So now I kinda want to work for valve

There are also media accounts for people in the business. Reviewers, etc. They don't have access to 100% of the games but anywhere from 70-80% and every big release is added to their account automatically.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If one of you guys want to gift me the first Mass Effect, I will gladly play through it. Otherwise, that $20 is set aside for Dragon Age, not for playing a game I already experienced 70% of just to ensure Shepherd doesn't make some asshole move that I'd probably make anyway.

Relax.MX

Dice said:
If one of you guys want to gift me the first Mass Effect,.

NeoGaf PC/Steam community is good but man... ¿really? ¿And your ice cream? ¿what flavor do you want?

Wait for a deal from steam...and then ask..

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Relax.MX said:
NeoGaf PC/Steam community is good but man... ¿really? ¿And your ice cream? ¿what flavor do you want?

Wait for a deal from steam...and then ask..
That was a response to a group of people all telling me that I should not yet play the game that I just purchased because of some save gimmick the developer included.

iavi

Dice said:
That was a response to a group of people all telling me that I should not yet play the game that I just purchased because of some save gimmick the developer included.

On paper. In practice, it's so much more. Your loss.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:

Well, pardon us for trying to help you.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stop It said:

A system like that is nearly unhackable though. As the CPU's unique key changes every 30 seconds, the only ways to spoof that would be to have a trojan on his PC send a code remotely. That is, unless there are security loopholes outside of having to use the code.

It's an incredibly secure system that is far more difficult to hack. Any successful hack is likely to exploit vulnerabilities outside of SteamGuard itself.

panda21

theres no beta for this comfy couch mode yet right? this will be perfect for me. if you can boot straight into it so i never have to look at windows again i will be in heaven.

O.DOGG

Just finished Far Cry 2. What a great, great game. I can't believe I missed it before. Everyone should get the Ubi pack just for this. It's a steal.

clip

O.DOGG said:
Just finished Far Cry 2. What a great, great game. I can't believe I missed it before. Everyone should get the Ubi pack just for this. It's a steal.

It just went on sale on what, Thursday or Friday? You must have burned through it.

O.DOGG

clip said:
It just went on sale on what, Thursday or Friday? You must have burned through it.

Yeah, pretty much. 25 hours or so. Couldn't put it down. I played until 4am last night, left the last stretch for this morning. And I have all this homework to do.
Still, when I played the last bit, and when it all came together... man, what an impact. Amazing game, didn't expect it would be this good.

Ricker

Wow,Assassin Creed,Far Cry 2,Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and Juarez for 13 bucks??? I played and finished 3 of those on the 360 but I just got a new gaming PC and I think ill grab this at that price....this is nuts =)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheExodu5 said:
ME 1 sucks.

I wish PC gaming GAF would make their collective minds up. When I was asking for LTTP PC games, the general consensus was to play through ME1 rather than jump straight to 2. So I bought 1. Still haven't got to it on my backlog though, so its not too late to tell me to jump straight to 2..

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's not a secret that there are tasteless people on GAF. You can tell who they are because they don't like ME1. Shameful, really.

graywolf323

mrklaw said:
I wish PC gaming GAF would make their collective minds up. When I was asking for LTTP PC games, the general consensus was to play through ME1 rather than jump straight to 2. So I bought 1. Still haven't got to it on my backlog though, so its not too late to tell me to jump straight to 2..

play through 1

Need some fellow gaffer's expertise. I've began to purchase games from Steam and the Mac App Store, most recently Braid that I simply could not pass up at that price. Also recently downloaded Cave Story. I'm currently using a 13" MacBook Pro and while I can manage using keyboard and trackpad for games like Civilization and Peggle, it's not cutting for the earlier mentioned games.

What's the best control compatible with the Mac and would it work with all games purchased from Steam and the App Store? Any chance the 360 control can be used? I really want to start taking advantage of some of these Steam deals! Much thanks in advance.

hamchan

mrklaw said:

Er no, play through 1 because the story shits on 2's.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

There is no 100% consensus, if we're accounting for misguided people, but most agree that playing both in succession is the way to go. Sure, the importance of your ME1 choices in ME2 aren't as significant as I had hoped, but it does make a difference to have experienced the first game for yourself and to see some events that are the result of your actions in the previous game. I've tried starting new games in ME2 and it's just not the same when you're playing with preset choices.

anyways, that's just my 2 cents

1-D_FTW

mrklaw said:

If it's any consolation, I've seen plenty here say that 2 sucks compared to 1. You'll probably have to play both to decide who, if anyone, is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom