• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Dead Space 2 at launch, haven't had the time to install and play it yet :/ EA is the new Ubisoft, slashing prices to ridiculous levels shortly after release. What they're essentially telling me is to not buy their games day one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, they are likely over doing it for there non-annual releases, but its not some immoral marketing tactic. Just likely lowering the perceived value of their new games. The will likely wise up in a year or two.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maybe they'll wise up when they see their game gets a lot more attention at 30/40 instead of 60, it's at least something worth looking into

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Picked up Dead Space 2 at launch, haven't had the time to install and play it yet.
I mean, that's pretty much your fault, though.

I make it a habit of never buying a game at full price unless I'm going to play it right now...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Twig said:

I make it a habit of never buying a game at full price unless I'm going to play it right now...

Yeah...this is pretty much my strategy. I've built enough of a backlog that I have no reason to buy a full price game, unless it's something I'm super hyped for like Witcher 2 or Mass Effect 3. But paying full price for anything else is a no-go, I mean, I passed on new Dead Space 2 and it's already going for half price, like barely a month later.

Twig said:

Hey, I didn't plan on getting laid off and having to work on a new demo reel.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Diablohead said:
don't buy sonic, just grab the old DX pc port and mod it to 1080p widescreen with a bigger pop in range.
Are we sure this isn't the old DX pc port?

I'll likely be a sucker and buy it as soon as it is $5 or less.

Edit: Sounds like a new port, and that it has a few improvements over the old one. Hopefully it can be modded easily to make it 1080p and such.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
Same here. I actually had Dead Space 2's launch day off so I hunkered down and plowed right through the game in a couple sittings.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just ordered Mass Effect 2 to keep me busy and keep me from buying DA Ultimate at $40 since it'll probably go on sale with the DA2 release. I guess either way they'll get my $40, but I will get two games out of it. A lot of BioWare discussion lately has made me want to play through ME2 anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
Just ordered Mass Effect 2 to keep me busy and keep me from buying DA Ultimate at $40 since it'll probably go on sale with the DA2 release. I guess either way they'll get my $40, but I will get two games out of it. A lot of BioWare discussion lately has made me want to play through ME2 anyway.

Surely you have already played through ME1 on your PC, right?

Dice

Snuggler said:
Surely you have already played through ME1 on your PC, right?
No, I saw plenty of that watching my friend play through it at his house. We deliberated together on how to answer questions. That game is a bit rough and ME2 seems to make the necessary fixes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
No, I saw plenty of that watching my friend play through it at his house. We deliberated together on how to answer questions. That game is a bit rough and ME2 seems to make the necessary fixes.

Still, it's not the same if you don't have your own Shepard that's already been through ME1, and that will only be more important when ME3 comes out later this year (or more likely, early next year).

Dizzy-4U

Space Channel 5 Part 2 bought even though I still have the original disc. I'll just pray to Odin that the port is at least playable.

coopolon

Dice said:

DA Ultimate edition is $20 on Amazon Download service. I believe you can use the key to activate it on EA Download Manager as well.

Dice

Alright, is there any not-pain-in-the-ass way to enable AA in ME2 on a 5850? I expected better from BioWare. All I need for most games is 2x SSAA and rarely over 4x but none at all is... ugh. The sensitivity options are also absurd and do nothing to help how crazy sensitive it is to trackball movement. If there is no way to adjust the config, I guess I'll have to go find one of my 10 year old laser mice to get it functioning on a sane level. No idea why most games are still so far behind in awareness of modern mouse performance. Even Valve games need to be set to like 1-2 notches above the absolute lowest setting.

coopolon said:
DA Ultimate edition is $20 on Amazon Download service. I believe you can use the key to activate it on EA Download Manager as well.
But you can't activate it on Steam. I thought more people in this thread would understand the desire to have everything in Steam. I could have had it for $25 around Thanksgiving if I didn't care.

graywolf323

Dice said:
I strongly doubt the actual significance of character importing.

well given all the default choices for ME2 make your character from ME1 out to be a complete jackass I would disagree with you

Dice

graywolf323 said:
well given all the default choices for ME2 make your character from ME1 out to be a complete jackass I would disagree with you
Please elaborate. I usually can't stand putting up with all the whiny and hypocritical little bitches in western RPGs so my way of handling things ends up being a bit... rougher. In fact, some youtube video about Shepherd being a jerk was a big motivation in getting me to buy this. I had to stop early to not spoil all the goodness. I even named my character "Badass Shepherd" because I know I'm not going to be on a first name basis with anyone.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If you think killing off the most badass member of your squad is cool, then by all means, don't import your save and don't play ME1.

vocab

Dice said:
Alright, is there any not-pain-in-the-ass way to enable AA in ME2 on a 5850? I expected better from BioWare. All I need for most games is 2x SSAA and rarely over 4x but none at all is... ugh. The sensitivity options are also absurd and do nothing to help how crazy sensitive it is to trackball movement. If there is no way to adjust the config, I guess I'll have to go find one of my 10 year old laser mice to get it functioning on a sane level. No idea why most games are still so far behind in awareness of modern mouse performance. Even Valve games need to be set to like 1-2 notches above the absolute lowest setting.

Maybe not use a mouse with over 2000 dpi? Maybe turn off Mouse Accell? Maybe turn Windows sensitivity down? Games aren't behind, companies think fucking 5000 dpi is practical. Also, you have control over Mouse settings, and most game devs use some kind of standard because not every one likes to use a mouse that can't be used for daily use.

Dice

vocab said:
Maybe not use a mouse with over 2000 dpi? Maybe turn off Mouse Accell? Maybe turn Windows sensitivity down? Games aren't behind, companies think fucking 5000 dpi is practical. Also, you have control over Mouse settings, and most game devs use some kind of standard because not every one likes to use a mouse that can't be used for daily use.
It's as simple as modifying a single value. I've seen games with a checkbox if you use a high resolution mouse. Every game should have one, and if it doesn't, you should be able to do it yourself in the config file.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
graywolf323 said:
This man speaks the truth 100%.

Default Shepard has made the most asshole decision that you can possibly make. And Mass Effect 1 is fucking dope on PC. It's really stupid to think it's unnecessary.

Also, I guess Dice has never played an Unreal Engine game before because almost none of them include AA options. Kinda impressive seeing as how many games use it lololol.

graywolf323

Stallion Free said:
This man speaks the truth 100%.

Default Shepard has made the most asshole decision that you can possibly make. And Mass Effect 1 is fucking dope on PC. It's really stupid to think it's unnecessary.

Also, I guess Dice has never played an Unreal Engine game before because almost none of them include AA options. Kinda impressive seeing as how many games use it lololol.

also you can just use cheats if you want to speed run through ME1

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Cheats

Xapati

graywolf323 said:

Doesn't ME2 ask you a few qustions where you can make the decisions? I recall Miranda and Jacob asking me a few questions like "is the council alive or not?" In the beginning.

graywolf323

Xapati said:
Doesn't ME2 ask you a few qustions where you can make the decisions? I recall Miranda and Jacob asking me a few questions like "is the council alive or not?" In the beginning.

doesn't actually effect anything in the PC or 360 versions :-(

if you are going to skip the first game then play ME2 on PS3 since you actually get to make some choices during that comic book intro going over the events you missed in the first game

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ME1 isn't a long game at all if you ignore side missions and stick to the main quest. There are 4 main worlds you visit that are about two hours a piece and then the rest of the game (intro and end stuff) is 4ish hours.

I beat Mass Effect 1 in 16 hours according to Steam, and that was without being in any particular hurry. Did a couple of sidequests and explored a few extra worlds, and ran back and fort to buy a couple of things.

And Mass Effect 1 is a better game than Mass Effect 2 by the way. :)

Both are good though.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Green Man Gaming has Aliens vs Predator at $ 4.97 It can be activated on steam.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... picked up Bit.Trip Runner on Steam yesterday... game's pretty damn slick. At $5, I'd say it's a must buy for everyone. At $9, it's definitely a good buy for music game fans.

Dead Space 2 for $40 is really tempting, but I definitely want Crysis 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (now that the obnoxious Ubi DRM has been excised), so I don't really have the cabbage for it right now :(

Dizzy-4U

Well, Space Channel 5 is a lousy port.

Fixed resolutions (max res is 1280x720), config settings not working (you need to create a folder, copy and modify the ini manually), no v-sync (massive screen tearing), no antialiasing (didn't work with nvidia control panel either) and apparently there are missing sound data if you choose the japanese voices.

The game itself works fine. The audio sync is perfect so no delays. Wireless 360 joystick works fine too (though, the config program tells me that there are no joysticks connected).

I don't regret buying it, as I said the game itself works fine. I just hope to see a community patch or something in the future =/

Stumpokapow said:
Far Cry 2 installed PunkBuster as a Windows service which made me want to vomit.

Does FarCry 2 not also have an install limit? That's what has preventing me from playing the game thus far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TouchMyBox said:
Does FarCry 2 not also have an install limit? That's what has preventing me from playing the game thus far.
I believe it's been removed on Steam. There was no activation stuff when I last installed it.

bigace33

CecilRousso said:
I beat Mass Effect 1 in 16 hours according to Steam, and that was without being in any particular hurry. Did a couple of sidequests and explored a few extra worlds, and ran back and fort to buy a couple of things.

And Mass Effect 1 is a better game than Mass Effect 2 by the way. :)

Both are good though.
ME1 is not better than ME2. I love ME1 but 2 surpasses it in almost every category.

Stallion Free said:
I believe it's been removed on Steam. There was no activation stuff when I last installed it.

It says on the steam page that there is a five install limit, if it's super confirmed though that it's gone, I'd be more than happy to give ubisoft my monies.

Edit:

Hmm, this thread seems pretty convincing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom