• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

hylje said:
Nice deal there on Ubisoft games. I have been wanting to start Assassin Creed series awhile now but didn't want to hop into sequels first. Now I just can't postpone it anymore.

Is the Vegas 2 co-op worth it or should I be forever alone?

Vegas 2 co-op is worth it if you can get a friend or two to join you. It does however use gamespy for online but there is a LAN option so you can hamachi/tunngle instead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I was planning on trying out some Crysis mods and I went to go install it again with the plans to just crack it since I'm out of the magical 5 activations and I wasn't feeling up to waste 30 minutes wooing EA into giving me another one back. I was pleasantly surprised when it never prompted me to activate it with out cracking it or anything upon startup. Did Crytek stealth remove the activations? Can someone else who is out of activations go install it and check?

droopy

That third party tunneling software can give you better performance than gamespy should really tell developers something.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, AC doesn't work well with a 360 controller for me. My right analog is not set to rotate the camera and it won't work when I reconfigure. It recognizes it but I thought it auto mapped the keys once it see's it?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LiquidMetal14 said:
Man, AC doesn't work well with a 360 controller for me. My right analog is not set to rotate the camera and it won't work when I reconfigure. It recognizes it but I thought it auto mapped the keys once it see's it?
Assassin's Creed 1 (and 2 for all that I know) only works properly with the WIRED 360 controller. It treats the wireless as a regualr controller, and everything is mapped improperly/some analogs don't work (like the triggers for instance).

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
So I was planning on trying out some Crysis mods and I went to go install it again with the plans to just crack it since I'm out of the magical 5 activations and I wasn't feeling up to waste 30 minutes wooing EA into giving me another one back. I was pleasantly surprised when it never prompted me to activate it with out cracking it or anything upon startup. Did Crytek stealth remove the activations? Can someone else who is out of activations go install it and check?

Have you installed it on 5 different machines (or changed hardware significantly within the same machine more than 5 times? My understanding is that you can reinstall it on the same machine as many times as you want.

epmode

droopy said:
That third party tunneling software can give you better performance than gamespy should really tell developers something.
You seem to think that EA actually cares about the performance of their multiplayer games. If it even kinda works, it ships.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
coopolon said:
Have you installed it on 5 different machines (or changed hardware significantly within the same machine more than 5 times? My understanding is that you can reinstall it on the same machine as many times as you want.
Nah I have installed Crysis via Steam on the same PC multiple time since the Steam copy released and ran out of activations. It hasn't been installed on any other computers. The last time I installed it I had to contact EA for another activation (the activation thing popped up whenever I tried to start the game IIRC). This time there wasn't a single request for activation and I have done a fairly big upgrade + reformat since that last install.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
drizzle said:
Assassin's Creed 1 (and 2 for all that I know) only works properly with the WIRED 360 controller. It treats the wireless as a regualr controller, and everything is mapped improperly/some analogs don't work (like the triggers for instance).

This happens in a lot of stuff. I use a wireless 360 controller for emulators as well and a lot of them don't properly support the triggers or the right analog stick :/

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Isn't there some kind of workaround for the Wireless 360 pad? I remember reading about it when Dead Rising 2 came out. You had to install another driver which tricked Windows into thinking your Wireless controller was a wired one, or something like that.

I'll see if I can find it.

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Nah I have installed Crysis via Steam on the same PC multiple time since the Steam copy released and ran out of activations. It hasn't been installed on any other computers. The last time I installed it I had to contact EA for another activation (the activation thing popped up whenever I tried to start the game IIRC). This time there wasn't a single request for activation and I have done a fairly big upgrade + reformat since that last install.

Weird. It's a 5 machine activation limit, not a 5 install limit right?. It shouldn't be eating up activations if you are installing it on the same machine unless you make pretty major hardware changes like CPU or Mobo or something. Even more reason Securom is sucky.

Thinking about the Weekend deal. I already have FC2 and AC. I want Call of Juarez. Trying to decide if I want Rainbow Six Vegas 2, or if I should just wait to be able to get CoJ for like $5 by itself someday.

Gandie

Picked up the Ubi pack as well. The deal is just crazy, even considering that I'm not interested in AC (played it on my 360), the 3 other games all were my wishlist though.

Lucky me, I guess.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
OMG guys how do I resist the DC collection... HOLD ME BACK! AHHHHH!!

denomes

Snuggler said:
Oh wow, Sega Bass Fishing is now on Steam. Must resist shitty port of old game I loved....

Crazy Taxi and the rest of the "Dreamcast collection" titles are there too.

I wonder if they have native gamepad support? The page layout is kind of janked for me right now.

The features list for Crazy Taxi is a laugh: "Painfully slow buses and cable cars to frustrate and annoy", and "Occasional deep sea exploration opportunities!".

Joe Molotov

Dice said:
OMG guys how do I resist the DC collection... HOLD ME BACK! AHHHHH!!

Crazy Taxi doesn't have the original soundtrack, so screw that. Sega Bass Fishing without the fishing controller, meh. Don't really care about SC5. Will pick up Sonic Adventure DX for old times sake, though.

nexen

Joe Molotov said:
Crazy Taxi doesn't have the original soundtrack, so screw that.
I see that as a serious plus. How many times can you listen to that one Offspring song without contemplating murder?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, that's the thing. I would be so on that collection if Sega had at least put a tiny amount of effort in the ports, but everything I've heard says otherwise. I'd hate to see what Bass Fishing would look like on my 16:9 1080p monitor.

I'm a fool for buying a non-sale game when I already have a huge backlog, but I bought Risen today since I had a little money to spend. I think I'll pass on the Ubi deal, even though it's way cheap. I've played 3/4 of them on 360 and I can't actually see myself getting around to playing those games, it would just be 4 more games in my Steam library that I don't have time to play.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mclem said:
Hang on, when did NightSky sneak out? Are there any reviews around yet?

First week of January, but only came to Steam last week.

Consensus amongst the few people who tried it was that it's much shorter than they expected. Haven't personally heard anything about quality. Let us know if you pick it up.

iavi

Can anybody comment on the stability of the current beta? I would love to use it, but the last time I went Beta(Screenshots) a majority of my games stopped working for some reason or another.

nexen

Yow. I can't imagine paying $9 each for shitty ports of 10+ year old games. Yeah, I'll wait until this goes on sale.

Miri said:
Can anybody comment on the stability of the current beta? I would love to use it, but the last time I went Beta(Screenshots) a majority of my games stopped working for some reason or another.

Seems stable, steam guard now on, no option to check to turn it off that I can find, not that I care.
News page renders wrong sometimes in client.
No client crashes.
All good so far.

Joe Molotov

New Steam security features are available in beta:

team Guard, a new Steam account security feature offering two-factor authentication, is now available in beta. As a Steam account holder, you can now take advantage of this additional level of account security, further prohibiting others from gaining access to your account.

As a beta participant, once you've verified your email address with Steam, Steam Guard becomes available for your use and is enabled for your Steam account by default.

With Steam Guard enabled, anyone attempting to login as you from an unrecognized computer must first provide additional, one-time authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your first login on an unfamiliar computer is complete. You will also be notified if any login attempts from computers other than those you've authorized occur. Steam Guard essentially acts as a form of "User Rights Management," where you as the user have greater control over access to your stuff.

"Account phishing and hijacking are our top support issues," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "With Steam Guard, we've taken a big step towards giving customers the account security they need as they purchase more and more digital goods."

Gabe demonstrated further development of Steam Guard today at the CeBIT computing trade show in Hannover, Germany. In addition to email-based authentication, Steam Guard will soon offer other forms of secondary authentication, such as Intel® Identity Protection Technology, a hardware-based security feature available with the new 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ and Core™ vPro® processors. With IPT, secondary authentication is effortless, as it is provided by the chipset itself.

To opt into the latest Steam client beta and begin protecting your account with Steam Guard, launch the Steam client and visit Steam Settings' Account tab, then changing your beta participation to “Steam Update.”

For more information about Steam Guard and Intel® Identity Protection Technology, visit Steam Support's knowledge base.

Mrbob

You can get a wired 360 controller for between 20 to 30 dollars now. Do yourself a favor and get one of those instead of a wireless adapter. Small price to pay for knowing all games with 360 controller support will work properly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nexen said:
Yow. I can't imagine paying $9 each for shitty ports of 10+ year old games. Yeah, I'll wait until this goes on sale.
For some reason I was originally seeing it as $5.97 for the collection rather than that being the amount they take off for the collection. Obviously if I had the slightest hesitation about them being worth the cost/time at $6, it isn't remotely viable at $30.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How are the ports when compared to emulation? The Dreamcast emulator has made great strides in the last year thanks to going open-source.

Javaman

Snuggler said:
Check the last page, reportedly it's going for $14 on Impulse. Should solve your dilemma.
It doesn't appear in the list of steam registerable games so that's a no go for me. Great price, but I like to keep all my dl games in one place. Plus the bf3 beta may only be for the steam version.

coopolon

For those like me who already have some of the games in this weekends sale, Amazon is now offering downloads of CoJ and Far Cry 2 for $3.99 and RSV2 for $1.99.

Edit: AC is also $3.99.

Shaneus

morningbus said:
How are the ports when compared to emulation? The Dreamcast emulator has made great strides in the last year thanks to going open-source.
It did? I'd give my left nut to play DC games at a decent speed on PC. Any names of stuff I should check out?

bigace33

Mrbob said:
You can get a wired 360 controller for between 20 to 30 dollars now. Do yourself a favor and get one of those instead of a wireless adapter. Small price to pay for knowing all games with 360 controller support will work properly.
I got mine brand new at Walmart for 39.99. Tried a couple used ones and they didn't work. My new one worked perfect right out of the box.

Oh man, Crazy Taxi. I'll wait for the mod that brings back the Pizza Hut and other in-game advertisements. Also, to replace the entire new soundtrack with Offspring.

Jzero

coopolon said:
For those like me who already have some of the games in this weekends sale, Amazon is now offering downloads of CoJ and Far Cry 2 for $3.99 and RSV2 for $1.99.

Thanks, downloaded RSV2 :)

John

coopolon said:

nice, i'll get coj and ac from there then. thanks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
coopolon said:

Thanks for the heads up. I probably never would have played CoJ, Far Cry 2 or RSV2, mostly just wanted cheap AC.

coopolon

kamspy said:
The key from the Impulse Medal of Honor can be linked to EADM and downloaded from there.

Wow, this is really cool. I just registered Dragon Age, Dragon Age Awakening, Mass Effect 2, and Medal of Honor with EA Download manager so now I can download them instead of having to insert the discs. Good on EA for doing this, hope they keep it up.

Didn't work for Crysis or Crysis Warhead though. :(

nexen

coopolon said:
Wow, this is really cool. I just registered Dragon Age, Dragon Age Awakening, Mass Effect 2, and Medal of Honor with EA Download manager so now I can download them instead of having to insert the discs. Good on EA for doing this, hope they keep it up.

Didn't work for Crysis or Crysis Warhead though. :(
Do you still need the discs to play or will the download manager handle drm? I keep wanting to play DA:O again but don't feel like digging out the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom