• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade Ryan

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
Can anyone here that owns Mafia II confirm if it supports third party game controllers for PC? (Not just the 360 controller)

I will only buy it if a controller (gamepad) support set up is not a hassle and I can play it from the couch.

I played it with a generic USB pad, but I had to use vibmod to emulate a 360 pad.

Forkball said:
Damn, I didn't think the audience for that game would dwindle so quickly. They had a long beta, good impressions, a TF2 tie-in etc. I don't play it that much anymore, but you'd think the audience would be there.

Also the person who could organize a list of the GG on sale games that can be registered on steam is my new best friend.
It's probably because it's not a very noob friendly game. Also, no one on GAF seems to have played it after the first week or two after release.

plc268

Forkball said:
Damn, I didn't think the audience for that game would dwindle so quickly. They had a long beta, good impressions, a TF2 tie-in etc. I don't play it that much anymore, but you'd think the audience would be there.

Damn, that's lame. I need to stop buying these indie shooters that can't maintain their audience. I bought MNC a couple of weeks ago, but I never got around to playing past the tutorial.

I also bought Lead and Gold when it was in beta, but that game turned out to be disappointing as well. Eh...

Nabs said:
Anyone else try out SpaceChem? It's a really tough game, but damn the music is nice.
I watched the trailer and I really want to try it. It looks like its just machineary combined with chem which seems pretty interesting. If it really branched out into some organic chemistry it could get stupid complex and hard really fast. I'm sure they don't though. $15 bucks is alot though. Steam has taught me to wait for sales.

EDIT: Oh f yeah a demo. I didn't even notice!

epmode

I've been playing it for the past few days. I like it a lot.

It's funny how I'll often go back to old solutions just to make them more efficient. The little charts that show how you rank are kind of motivational!

And the music is fuckawesome.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
crimsonheadGCN said:
Risk Factions is now available on Steam for $9.99. It's made by the developers of Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planewalkers and I believe it's been previously released on XBLA.

It has indeed, as well as PSN.

A lot of extra work went into this version though so it is not a straight port, hope who ever buys it enjoys the game! :)

Forkball

Drkirby said:
The game needs more updates. Toss in some new maps, as long as they are symmetrical it initial balance issues shouldn't be to bad.
Yeah, there really haven't been any interesting updates. Just balance tweaks and some extra skins for the characters.

Honestly, I think the problem with Monday Night Combat is that it's not really team oriented. The players don't communicate with each other, and most of the time it seems like I'm not even seeing other players, just waves of bots. Plus, none of the classes are really fun to play and seem weak. I think it's more for the Dota crowd, but they're busy playing other games.

Okay Spacechem is super awesome. I'll probably buy it tonight. I showed it to some of my chemistry professors and I'll see how they like it. I know there isn't a lot of actual chem but they're like it well enough i'm sure.

Nabs

SteveWinwood said:
Okay Spacechem is super awesome. I'll probably buy it tonight. I showed it to some of my chemistry professors and I'll see how they like it. I know there isn't a lot of actual chem but they're like it well enough i'm sure.
Awesome. You can also buy it off the developers webpage for the same price, and use that key on Steam.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Grimm Fandango said:
Is anyone else going to be getting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood? Just wondering about its popularity on Steam.
Already own it on the Xbox, and played quite a bit of MP (~8 hours) on the PS3. I'd love to pick it up on PC for some more multiplayer, but by the time the price drops to something I'd be comfortable paying, I'm sure it'll be dead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Grimm Fandango said:
Is anyone else going to be getting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood? Just wondering about its popularity on Steam.
Already pre-ordered as I loved AC2 from the Christmas sale and liked AC1.

Nabs said:
Awesome. You can also buy it off the developers webpage for the same price, and use that key on Steam.
Oh awesome. I'd rather give them all the money if I can just activate it on steam later. Steams so great.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
John said:
i didn't like (the first two-three hours of) mafia 1. will mafia ii show me the light?

I didn't like the first 2-3 hours of Mafia 1 either, but I've made it several hours into Mafia II. It's a much better game. There's still a lot of driving, but it's not as much of a pain in the ass and navigating the city is easier. The shooting is a lot more fun too. Plus, it looks good, not shitty like Mafia I does these days.

No brainer @ $7.50

I have a problem.

I have recently freshly installed Windows 7 on this machine. Installed everything else and am starting to install all of my Steam games. So far I've installed all Valve games, which all work perfectly, plus one non-Valve game, Aquaria. That works too.

Now I've downloaded Batman: AA GOTY Ed. which seems to have worked. It does that thing when you click play for the first time where it installs DirectX and all that other crap which is repeated for every game. Then it pops up with the window where you can select to play, change settings, view the read me or exit. I have firstly changed my settings.

Then I click play. You can tell it launches because the blue square which borders your Steam Avatar in the bottom right of the Steam client turns to green to say you are playing a game. It only stays green for five seconds before returning to blue again.

The game doesn't launch.

If I click play again it does that thing when you first start up the game, but it doesn't do all four things it done first time, it only does one - DirectX.

After this if I select play it will do the same thing.

Thanks in advance if you solve this issue and thanks for reading through this which is way longer than it probably should or could be.

vocab

ashbash159 said:
I have a problem.

I have recently freshly installed Windows 7 on this machine. Installed everything else and am starting to install all of my Steam games. So far I've installed all Valve games, which all work perfectly, plus one non-Valve game, Aquaria. That works too.

Now I've downloaded Batman: AA GOTY Ed. which seems to have worked. It does that thing when you click play for the first time where it installs DirectX and all that other crap which is repeated for every game. Then it pops up with the window where you can select to play, change settings, view the read me or exit. I have firstly changed my settings.

Then I click play. You can tell it launches because the blue square which borders your Steam Avatar in the bottom right of the Steam client turns to green to say you are playing a game. It only stays green for five seconds before returning to blue again.

The game doesn't launch.

If I click play again it does that thing when you first start up the game, but it doesn't do all four things it done first time, it only does one - DirectX.

After this if I select play it will do the same thing.

Thanks in advance if you solve this issue and thanks for reading through this which is way longer than it probably should or could be.

The game will fail to launch if you do not have GFWL installed. Make sure Physx is installed just for safe measure. It happened to me with SFIV. IT forgot to install GFWL, and I had to manually install it.

vocab said:
The game will fail to launch if you do not have GWFL installed. Make sure Physx is installed just for safe measure. It happened to me with SFIV. IT forgot to install GWFL, and I had to manually install it.
I have GFWL Marketplace installed. Where do I install GFLW only? Or is the marketplace it?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ashbash159 said:

As with any Games for Windows Live issues, the first thing I'll tell you to do is to install the Games for Windows Client. It should've been installed with the game itself, but you never know.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Download/

It should work.

Also, is this a fresh new install, or are you installing over the configuration files? Sometimes, a bum configuration file will prevent the game from loading, specially if it's setting a resolution or refresh rate your monitor doesn't support.

Also, unless you saved your Games for Windows profile from an earlier machine, your save (even if you backed the save up) is pretty much worthless, as you need files from the profile those saves are linked from. If you're doing a fresh install and don't care about your saves, that's a non-issue.

drizzle said:
As with any Games for Windows Live issues, the first thing I'll tell you to do is to install the Games for Windows Client. It should've been installed with the game itself, but you never know.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Download/

It should work.

Also, is this a fresh new install, or are you installing over the configuration files? Sometimes, a bum configuration file will prevent the game from loading, specially if it's setting a resolution or refresh rate your monitor doesn't support.

Also, unless you saved your Games for Windows profile from an earlier machine, your save (even if you backed the save up) is pretty much worthless, as you need files from the profile those saves are linked from. If you're doing a fresh install and don't care about your saves, that's a non-issue.
I've downloaded the marketplace client and this is a fresh install. I downloaded it before I installed Batman so I don't think this is the issue.

Nabs

marketplace and live are two different things. i don't know where to download live, i think it just comes with each game. check your batman folder in steam and look for the gfwl folder.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nabs said:
marketplace and live are two different things. i don't know where to download live, i think it just comes with each game. check your batman folder in steam and look for the gfwl folder.
He means

drive:\Steam\SteamApps\common\batman arkham asylum\redist\gfwlivesetup.exe

Scipius

Steam should stop carrying GFWL games; Microsoft's malware is really starting to stink up the place.

All that work to make PC gaming easier only to be sabotaged by Microsoft's trojan. What a waste.

Nabs said:
I clicked on this and it said I already have it installed.
BUypo.png

So when I click play again it shows this.
eGwmy.png

So I click play on here.
wff25.png

And it says I'm playing for 5 seconds.
W4cYf.png

And returns back to not playing a game.
NCQaa.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You said you messed with the settings, right?

Bring everything back to default again.

On that same folder, try installing the PhysX driver. It should've been installed the first time, but sometimes shit just doesn't work.

Also try installing the vcredist.exe on that folder. It's Visual C++ Runtime, and most games need it these days.

Scipius said:
Steam should stop carrying GFWL games; Microsoft's malware is really starting to stink up the place.
All that work to make PC gaming easier only to be sabotaged by Microsoft's trojan. What a waste.
Shut up with your hate. Games for Windows Live is already installed on his machine, so it's clearly not the issue.

drizzle said:
You said you messed with the settings, right?

Bring everything back to default again.

On that same folder, try installing the PhysX driver. It should've been installed the first time, but sometimes shit just doesn't work.
I reset the settings to default. That didn't resolve it.

So I installed PhysX from that folder and when I click play it says this.
1tEfG.png

And then this.
J2qDE.png

And still doesn't work.

NIN90

You know what grinds my gears about Steam? It's not possible to reinstall a game unless you download the whole game again (most games are about 7 gigs these days and that's pretty much a 7 hour download for me). Reinstalling a game used to be a really easy way to fix some issues, now I don't even bother with that.

John

NIN90 said:
You know what grinds my gears about Steam? It's not possible to reinstall a game unless you download the whole game again (most games are about 7 gigs these days and that's pretty much a 7 hour download for me). Reinstalling a game used to be a really easy way to fix some issues, now I don't even bother with that.
isn't that what 'validate game cache' is?

MNC

NIN90 said:
Reinstalling is mostly removing every file then installing (downloading in this case) the whole batch of files again.

Steam's reinstalling is mostly considered the check cache integrity action.

Okay I'm going to bed now.

I'm going to download another GFWL game - DiRT 2 - overnight and I'll see if that works in the morning.

If you have any suggestions on how to fix my issue please post them and I will read and try them out in the morning.

I will tell you my situation in about 9 hours. NIGHT

epmode

John said:
isn't that what 'validate game cache' is?
Pretty much. It sets all files back to their original state, not including config/savegame stuff (which can be deleted manually, if need be).

Stallion Free said:
Indie devs really need to take a look at other mutliplayer-only indie releases and figure out how to avoid some of the larger mistakes that are consistently made. They come up with some awesome concepts, but the communities die incredibly fast when you launch with no demo, start at a high price point, take forever to do free weekends, or implement friend passes. You should want as many people as possible to see your game and attempt to build a solid player base.

I miss u Lead & Gold.

Grimm Fandango said:

If the multiplayer allows for some highly customizable servers, I'd be into that. There are some things about that game I'd love to tweak and I'd fall right back in again.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
NIN90 said:
I know this already has been answered, but you can't "reinstall" games on Steam because you never actually install Steam games.

Steam downloads the files "already installed" directly from the server. It only runs a couple scripts/installers when needed (like for registry stuff, which some games need, and things that you need, like the Visual C++ runtime).

"Verify game cache" only checks your local files to the files from the Steam servers. If they're different, Steam will re-download them (re-acquiring the corrupted file from the server, technically "reinstalling" that file).

It's also why you don't "patch" games on Steam, you just download the patched file from the server once again. That's why games like Company of Heroes, that have huge files that serve as repositories of art (for instance, all the voice cues from Company of Heroes are inside a 2gb file) have to redownload itselt pretty much entirely after each patch.

Usually, the 500meg patch released by the company will alter the needed "compilation of files" on your machine, replacing whichever files need replacing. On Steam, since there's no patching per say, you have to re-download the entire "library" file, which contains the new and/or altered files from the latest patch.

PedroLumpy said:
If the multiplayer allows for some highly customizable servers, I'd be into that. There are some things about that game I'd love to tweak and I'd fall right back in again.

Yeah that's why I haven't preordered it yet. Wondering how the multiplayer will function on PC.

I really enjoyed AC1 and AC2 so I'm going to get the game regardless.

Psy-Phi

graywolf323 said:
you could always backup the game it's not hard
Word. I keep a backup of all the games I like on Steam that I've finished but don't want taking up space (or huge things I've downloaded like Star Wars Force Unleashed...never taking the time to download that again).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
drizzle said:
Usually, the 500meg patch released by the company will alter the needed "compilation of files" on your machine, replacing whichever files need replacing. On Steam, since there's no patching per say, you have to re-download the entire "library" file, which contains the new and/or altered files from the latest patch.
That's probably why I have to re-download 'team fortress 2 content.gcf' and 'team fortress 2 materials.gcf' all over again every time an update comes out. :[

If you're expecting Mafia II to be anything like the first, or if you compare it to GTA IV and wonder what they did over all those years you're gonna be disappointed, but the game is totally decent as is definitely worth $7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom