• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would still play through 1. Still, it's an annoyingly boring game compared to the second, due to the terrible shooting mechanics. Some people are also under the delusion that it has a unique and interesting story line. ME1's story is the most generic of sci-fi.

TheExodu5 said:
I would still play through 1. Still, it's an annoyingly boring game compared to the second, due to the terrible shooting mechanics. Some people are also under the delusion that it has a unique and interesting story line.

The story is more interesting than the one in the sequel. And the Geth is the best enemy since the stormtroopers. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
I would still play through 1. Still, it's an annoyingly boring game compared to the second, due to the terrible shooting mechanics. Some people are also under the delusion that it has a unique and interesting story line. ME1's story is the most generic of sci-fi.
The story isn't unique, but it's interesting enough and enjoyable if you like sci-fi. I don't demand 100% originality from every videogame story... or any story in any medium. The shooting mechanics felt quite good to me (the only real issue was the cover system) and the planets are incredibly atmospheric.

MacAttack

The best reason to play through ME1 before ME2 is the story decisions that carry over from 1 to 2. Its nothing too crazy but it helps develop the story and is one of the unique features of the game that you dont see in a lot of other games.

Mass Effect 1 + 2 are not that different from each other so if you are into that type of game and you already own ME1, you should probably start at the beginning.

Relax.MX

TheExodu5 said:

Basic ... 1 then 2, then 3, Then 4.

2 is more easy to play...

John

the main fun of the me games is the universe and how you make your story within it. by skipping me1 you'd miss out on both.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
John said:
the main fun of the me games is the universe and how you make your story within it. by skipping me1 you'd miss out on both.

Yes, this is the same way I feel. This is probably why I love both games, despite their issues.

Last time I played ME1 it was just so I could import my character. Turn the difficulty on easy and you can shoot through the campaign in just 6~ or so hours. You can skip pretty much all the sidequests for the most part, but it's worth playing a little extra so you don't miss out on the smaller stuff like Conrad.

Red

Mr Sandman said:
I am enjoying Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 10 times more than I was with the 360 version. I always loved the mechanics and gameplay, but I was constantly fighting with the controls (something I never did with Halo, CoD, GoW, etc). Co-op is tight. Attack and Defend is hilarious on the Hotel level (pop them with a shotgun as soon as they repel into the window :lol). I wish more people played it. I'd kill for a Vegas 3 on Unreal 3. Point is, I'd recommend the game and the whole pack if you're mildly interested! I'm even enjoying Ass Creed. It's my first time going through it, and it's pretty damn relaxing after a few games of CoD or BC2. Great pack.
AC1 was a bit better on PC because of additional mission types. I was always a fan, even on consoles, but if you're enjoying it now I think you'll really like it by the end.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you enjoy AC1 you are going to absolutely love AC2. It's down to 30$ permanently and it has had sales that have gotten it as low as 15$. There will probably be a sale to coincide with Brotherhood releasing this month so keep an eye out for it.

Enco

Love Steam.

I try to only buy games that support steam. It's brilliant in every way. As well as nice organisation and ease of access, it also gives you awesome features such as text chat which some games miss out on (e.g. Dead Rising 2).

bigace33

CecilRousso said:
The story is more interesting than the one in the sequel. And the Geth is the best enemy since the stormtroopers. :)
The Geth seem like chumps compared to the collectors. Especially playing on insanity (which is the only way to enjoy ME2). They just seem more menacing, and the stakes seem infinitely higher. I doubt the team from ME1 could survive the fight in ME2. Like I said in an earlier thread, ME1 was a masterpiece before ME2 came along. Now ME1 is just a good game (I love it), but ME2 is just awesome.

theBishop

Banned
I already beat Assassin's Creed on PS3, and I own Far Cry 2 on PS3 but haven't played it.

I have been wanting to play Call of Juarez, and Rainbow 6 could be a nice extra.

Steam only lists gamepad support for Assassin's Creed, but I played the PC demo for Call of Juarez and it worked with my 360 pad.

Any chance Far Cry or Rainbow Six have gamepad support?

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XInput_games

according to this list, they're all supported.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I swear, ME1 vs ME2 will be the most eternal debate GAF has ever seen.

Apparently ME2 sucks, but not badly enough to keep it from demolishing the 2010 GOTY thread.

Conclusion: Those who dislike the sequel are way too vocal.

Both games are Top 10 of this generation, so just drop it. Playing both is essential.

K.Jack said:
I swear, ME1 vs ME2 will be the most eternal debate GAF has ever seen.

Apparently ME2 sucks, but not badly enough to keep it from demolishing the 2010 GOTY thread.

Conclusion: Those who dislike the sequel are way too vocal.

Both games are Top 10 of this generation, so just drop it. Playing both is essential.

I've played through both on PC, good games, but I'm not a part of the huge majority who thinks they are god-sent.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
scorpscarx said:
I've played through both on PC, good games, but I'm not a part of the huge majority who thinks they are god-sent.
Well, they aren't.

Mass Effect 1 is though.

trollface.jpg

theBishop said:
I already beat Assassin's Creed on PS3, and I own Far Cry 2 on PS3 but haven't played it.

I have been wanting to play Call of Juarez, and Rainbow 6 could be a nice extra.

Steam only lists gamepad support for Assassin's Creed, but I played the PC demo for Call of Juarez and it worked with my 360 pad.

Any chance Far Cry or Rainbow Six have gamepad support?

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XInput_games

according to this list, they're all supported.
You have to swap some .ini's for Rainbow Six to support wireless controller though.

Exuro said:
Have you gone into steamapps and tried to delete it?
Yeah, I did. I couldn't find a folder on steamapps for that demo, it's like it was deleted already, yet it still shows up on my games list and I can play it.

nOoblet16

Okay is it just me or has steam ran out of Farcry 2 keys due to the Ubisoft pack sale?
I get this error "Failed to contact key server"

Snuggler said:
sounds like your only choice is to just buy the game
It is staring at me defiantly from my games grid.

On unrelated news, I just tried out the Mass Effect 2 demo. It runs surprisingly well, considering I rock a pretty low end PC. I hope both games have some sort of sale before the release of ME3 so I can double dip without too much buyer's remorse.

Nabs

SteelAttack said:
It is staring at me defiantly from my games grid.

On unrelated news, I just tried out the Mass Effect 2 demo. It runs surprisingly well, considering I rock a pretty low end PC. I hope both games have some sort of sale before the release of ME3 so I can double dip without too much buyer's remorse.
They will go on sale before then.

Slavik81

scorpscarx said:
He obviously doesn't care, for whatever reason.
They can recover his account in seconds, worst comes to worst. It would just be (justifiably) bad PR if they did manage to break it.

I'm finishing off some of my steam backlog today, Portal never played, 2.2 hours beat, great game. BFBC2 never played the campaign, damn game is beautiful. Beat.
Now to try and finish off the witcher... loving it so far.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Woah, woah, woah... I was looking up how to turn on AA in ME2 and I read some people saying it worked when they unchecked "Use Application Settings" so I did and sure enough, that actually works now. When did ATI add forced AA with D3D?

Hayvic

scorpscarx said:
I'm finishing off some of my steam backlog today, Portal never played, 2.2 hours beat, great game. BFBC2 never played the campaign, damn game is beautiful. Beat.
Now to try and finish off the witcher... loving it so far.

I've also got the Witcher in my backlog for quite a while. I'm a bit hesitant though because I've heard the first couple of hours are not that good. This, coupled with the fact that I'm very bad at RPG's is putting me off. How is the learning curve on the Witcher? (Keep in mind that I had trouble learning all the ins and outs of Oblivion)

Javaman

I was scrolling through the "coming soon" on Steam and found what may be the game of the century... Dino D-Day. lolol

ss_558357ec8fe7ad78fdd106ae0f5dc117ec1cf34a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f7225bf6835873975a1bfd836eb52d3a4e75dbb3.1920x1080.jpg

Does anyone know about this? Free or paid mod?

Edit: Ugh, paid mod. Probably won't be much of a community.
http://www.dinodday.com/

Vids..
http://media.moddb.com/cache/videos/mods/1/15/14128/encode_mp4/DinoD-DaySequence_11-9.mov.mp4
http://media.moddb.com/cache/videos/mods/1/15/14128/encode_mp4/Dino_D-Day_Steam_Teaser_-_Final.mov.mp4

Lyphen said:
Well, they aren't.

Mass Effect 1 is though.

trollface.jpg
Not if you bother with side quests. They almost ruined the game for me. Now you've reminded me of the pain it has caused me. What have you done?

Hayvic said:
I've also got the Witcher in my backlog for quite a while. I'm a bit hesitant though because I've heard the first couple of hours are not that good. This, coupled with the fact that I'm very bad at RPG's is putting me off. How is the learning curve on the Witcher? (Keep in mind that I had trouble learning all the ins and outs of Oblivion)

Do it, just play it on easy mode which all it means is you follow the primary quests, which are marked, and time your sword strikes by clicking the mouse when its flashing. Ignore alchemy. Level up your stats at fires and in Inns/Houses, enjoy the hell out of it. Marvel at the graphics. Took me maybe 2 hours to get used to things and yea it starts sort of questionable, once you get to the main city, you wont be able to put it down. I've been playing all day. World feels alive, music is great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Woah, woah, woah... I was looking up how to turn on AA in ME2 and I read some people saying it worked when they unchecked "Use Application Settings" so I did and sure enough, that actually works now. When did ATI add forced AA with D3D?
It's an Unreal Engine 3 game so I don't know maybe 2 or 3 years ago?

pilonv1

HOLY CRAP THE PREVIEW FOR THE DINOSAUR GAME IS AWESOME

The year is 1942. Adolf Hitler has succeeded in resurrecting dinosaurs. The reptilian horde has trampled Europe and the Mediterranean. Can nothing stop the Nazi’s dinosaur army?

Dino D-Day is a frantic, action-packed multiplayer game that transports you to a World War II that should have been. You and your friends can battle online choosing to serve the cause of the Allied nations or the Nazis. The Allied side includes six playable characters each with unique weapons and abilities to use in combat. Gun down a Dilophosaur with your trusty M1 Garand, blast a kamikaze pterosaur out of the sky with your Thompson sub-machine gun, or toss out a dead jackrabbit to lure a raptor into a trap.

As an Axis player you will have your choice of three human classes and three dinosaur classes. Ambush your enemy with speed and stealth as the Raptor, mercilessly pound the enemy with a heavy 20mm gun as the Desmatosuchus, rampage through enemy groups as the Dilophosaur or pick up a body and throw it at an enemy for a double kill! Or if you prefer a rifle in your hand, the German soldier classes are the perfect complement to their dinosaur comrades.

You’ve played World War II games before…but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?

ss_f7225bf6835873975a1bfd836eb52d3a4e75dbb3.600x338.jpg

edit: omg there's dinosaur classes too

Javaman

Discotheque said:
That game sounds amazing. I'll bite if there's a decent community for it.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. According to the site they are doing a limited 1000 person beta, but as interesting as this might be, I need to play a demo before buying and see how strong the community is.

Edit: $20 :(
You can request a key by E-mailling dinodday@gmail.com

Anyone know if the wireless 360 gamepad issues with Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2 and others have been fixed? Or if there are user-made patches that make it work 100% correctly? This will decide if I get the pack or not... I really want it, what a deal. Never played the AC series.

kadotsu

Banned
Heavy said:
Anyone know if the wireless 360 gamepad issues with Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2 and others have been fixed? Or if there are user-made patches that make it work 100% correctly? This will decide if I get the pack or not... I really want it, what a deal. Never played the AC series.
For Assassins Creed dl this www.mediafire.com/?w1mtnotlkmi and put it in the games directory.

Javaman

TouchMyBox said:
Charging money for videogames? That never works, THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER.
It's not a full game, it's a MP only mod. $20 is a lot to ask from people without putting out a demo version.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
It's not a full game, it's a MP only mod. $20 is a lot to ask from people without putting out a demo version.
No demo? Wow, I mean the concept is badass, but that is a good way *not* to sell an indie multiplayer game.

Javaman

Stallion Free said:
No demo? Wow, I mean the concept is badass, but that is a good way *not* to sell an indie multiplayer game.

Which totally kills the community. They should have gone with $10 or even $5. The latter would have brought in far more people and possibly more money in the long run.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Indie devs really need to take a look at other mutliplayer-only indie releases and figure out how to avoid some of the larger mistakes that are consistently made. They come up with some awesome concepts, but the communities die incredibly fast when you launch with no demo, start at a high price point, take forever to do free weekends, or implement friend passes. You should want as many people as possible to see your game and attempt to build a solid player base.

Also, most of the concepts seen in indie multiplayer games would translate well to singleplayer. Maybe try the concept out in that arena first and launch multiplayer as an expansion. People are much more likely to give a singleplayer indie game a try because they don't have to risk a dead community. Games like Shattered Horizons, Lead & Gold, and Dino D-Day could all have amazing campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom