• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soule

Hey guys I'm having trouble with Steam (well have been for ages) and Steam Support can't help me because it's from a 3rd party program so I was wondering if you guys would have any tips?

We seemed to have narrowed down the problem I was having with steam (Games wouldn't install/download properly) to being from an old program I used to use that made games download from my ISP servers so it didn't count towards my metered download usage per month, program is called Frey's steam filter or something like that which unfortunately doesn't seem to die even after you delete it. Steam Support only gave me one bit of advice:
press the Windows Key + R and type the following command (it is recommended you copy and paste this command):

netsh ipsec static delete policy "Freys Steam Filter"

Once you have done so, reboot your computer and re-test the issue.

and i got this error message in the 'run' window when I did it... "unable to open policy store"

after some googling i found this advice
Start->Run: secpol.msc
IP Security Policies on Local Computer -> Freys Steam Filter -> Un-assign
except windows is telling me it can't find that :\ ... if anyone has some advice where to go from here it'd be heaps appreciated, I just wanna play mount and blade again and try out recettear, so frustrating having all these games and can't play them :(

Soule

tbh i'm not too far from doing that if i knew what my windows 7 key was. Laptop came with it all pre-installed and didn't have a cd or anything that I can see. might drop by the store tomorrow and see if they can tell me what's up.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
nvm see below.

But there must be a way to completely remove that program. Try Win key + R, then run regedit and search for any traces of the files.

graywolf323

Soule said:
tbh i'm not too far from doing that if i knew what my windows 7 key was. Laptop came with it all pre-installed and didn't have a cd or anything that I can see. might drop
by the store tomorrow and see if they can tell me what's up.

right click my computer >>> properties and your product key is at the bottom

Stallion Free said:
No demo? Wow, I mean the concept is badass, but that is a good way *not* to sell an indie multiplayer game.

Yeah, a demo is really needed especially when we're talking about a game where you control something other than a human. I'd expect most people would want to get a feel for the controls before committing to a purchase.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
graywolf323 said:
right click my computer >>> properties and your product key is at the bottom
That's not the 20-digit CD Key, though.

Use this Magical Jellybean Keyfinder.

It's way more easy than the other program I posted. Just install it, run the program, and your Cd-key pops up in a second.

Ledsen

Soule said:
tbh i'm not too far from doing that if i knew what my windows 7 key was. Laptop came with it all pre-installed and didn't have a cd or anything that I can see. might drop by the store tomorrow and see if they can tell me what's up.

All laptops have some kind of program for restoring the system to factory condition, you don't need a CD-key or anything.

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:
It finally happened to me:

You already own Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time

Interesting
I think I already had that over the weekend.

"Far Cry 2 huh. I think that's one of those 5-install games that I didn't care enough to get, silly DRM and all that, maybe it's patched out etc."

*checks games list*

"...oh, I guess it must have had a really good sale at some point." >_>

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dwayne said:
New Low Price on Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time

These guys are from Christchurch New Zealand, where there was recently a 6.3 earthquake that's demolished 1/4 of the CBD. So consider sending Stickmen Studios a little $$$ love to help them get back on their feet :D

Their studio pretty much got totaled too. Nobody got hurt, but they lost all their equipment and haven't been allowed back onsite to salvage anything yet.

So your dollars will make a big difference.

wwm0nkey

pilonv1 said:
HOLY CRAP THE PREVIEW FOR THE DINOSAUR GAME IS AWESOME

ss_f7225bf6835873975a1bfd836eb52d3a4e75dbb3.600x338.jpg

edit: omg there's dinosaur classes too
ih90C.jpg

MoFuzz

Mafia II looks to be the mid week deal.

75% off, bringing it down to $7.50 for the regular version or $10 for the deluxe.

MoFuzz said:

75% off, bringing it down to $7.50 for the regular version or $10 for the deluxe.
So bought. I missed its past sale, so I'm quite happy. Liked what I saw and played in the demo.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Haha, Crasher. Poor guys. Couldn't have have had a lamer launch. Silent, hypless 30$ launch, 15$ pricedrop two weeks later, and now a weeklong sale at 5.

Sorry guys, but people don't jump on MOBAs blindly. Heroes of Newerth didn't get to regularly hit 50,000 consecutive players by doing nothing. And it also seems like there's a general apprehension to low-budget MP games. Monday Night Combat sits at 250 players online now. Second Sight never made it over a hundred.

Personally, I just wish smaller development teams would stop making multi player games altogether and make some fun single-player experiences (lookin' at you 5th Cell).

For anyone who has Dark Void Zero, do you have problems with it crashing all of the time? I made it to the second stage and it always crashes right at the beginning. The forums for the game on Steam didn't provide any help so I'm hoping someone on here can.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Asked in another thead but maybe you guys can help me. I was trying to organize some of the profile/save folders that my Steam games created in My Documents, but when I moved them the games couldn't find the profiles/saves so I moved them back to their orginal locations. All of them are finding the profiles/saves again, except for Crysis. How can I get the game to recognize them again?

basically:

- game save and profile in folder

- moved folder

- game can't find save and profile

- put folder back to original location

- game still can't find save and profile

Forkball

Lyphen said:
Monday Night Combat sits at 250 players online now. Second Sight never made it over a hundred.
Damn, I didn't think the audience for that game would dwindle so quickly. They had a long beta, good impressions, a TF2 tie-in etc. I don't play it that much anymore, but you'd think the audience would be there.

Also the person who could organize a list of the GG on sale games that can be registered on steam is my new best friend.

Instro

Snuggler said:
Asked in another thead but maybe you guys can help me. I was trying to organize some of the profile/save folders that my Steam games created in My Documents, but when I moved them the games couldn't find the profiles/saves so I moved them back to their orginal locations. All of them are finding the profiles/saves again, except for Crysis. How can I get the game to recognize them again?

basically:

- game save and profile in folder

- moved folder

- game can't find save and profile

- put folder back to original location

- game still can't find save and profile

Are the save files for Crysis actually in your Documents? Its possible that they are actually in the hidden "AppData" folder

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Instro said:
Are the save files for Crysis actually in your Documents? Its possible that they are actually in the hidden "AppData" folder

Yeah, I believe it is. It's my 'default save location' so it seems all my game save folders are there. I'm probably missing something, though. Too bad since I was in the mood for the game.

MoFuzz said:

10 euros for normal and 12.50 for deluxe here. Still a steal, will probably be buying.

But the only in-game extra's in the Digital Deluxe Edition are two cars and two suits?

Relax.MX

Forkball said:
Damn, I didn't think the audience for that game would dwindle so quickly. They had a long beta, good impressions, a TF2 tie-in etc. I don't play it that much anymore, but you'd think the audience would be there.

Also the person who could organize a list of the GG on sale games that can be registered on steam is my new best friend.

I buy it and I was disappointed ... I never play again..Cheap gameplay game...

Risk Factions is now available on Steam for $9.99. It's made by the developers of Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planewalkers and I believe it's been previously released on XBLA.

Can anyone here that owns Mafia II confirm if it supports third party game controllers for PC? (Not just the 360 controller)

I will only buy it if a controller (gamepad) support set up is not a hassle and I can play it from the couch.

bestami

Does the mafia 2 dlcs worth 2.5$ ? I rarely pay 10 dolars for a game on steam so there is a mental barrier that i have to overcome :p.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:

The game needs more updates. Toss in some new maps, as long as they are symmetrical it initial balance issues shouldn't be to bad.

FatBaby

Just in case anyone is wondering about the DLC for Mafia II, take it from a person who just recently finished Joe's Adventure, and DO NOT bother.

I bought it when it was $2.50 or something and it was easily one of the worst purchases I have made in a while. I loved Mafia II and was really looking forward to more game play and story and all I got was some ridiculous arcade style time limit on missions.

They didn't even go the distance to put in any animated cut scenes for the majority of them. 95% of them are literally just a picture with some text on it telling you how this or that is "fucked" and how you will be "fucked" if you don't fix it. Great way to immerse yourself in the game, no?

Yeah, no thanks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Risk Factions using Steamworks means absolutely nothing for BF3. Both DeathSpank and Shank were published by EA on Steam and used the full Steamworks suite.

vocab

Drkirby said:
The game needs more updates. Toss in some new maps, as long as they are symmetrical it initial balance issues shouldn't be to bad.

The main problem I have with the game is that 1) It is not a game that can be play competitively. 2) A little too mindless 3) feeling disconnected from what is happening half the time.

epmode

EricHasNoPull said:
Can anyone here that owns Mafia II confirm if it supports third party game controllers for PC? (Not just the 360 controller)

I will only buy it if a controller (gamepad) support set up is not a hassle and I can play it from the couch.
As with many modern games, Mafia 2 uses the 360 pad API thingy (Xinput?). You can use 3rd party emulation software to match up your controller's functions to the 360 pad's. This works with just about any controller that is detected by Windows.

I guess it's kind of a hassle the first time you have to do this but it works for a whole bunch of current-gen games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom