• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
How low did TF2 get during the christmas sale? I've been meaning to pick up a copy for my girlfriend couldn't decide whether to wait for a steam sale or just pick it up on Amazon for $10.

bigace33

Notrollious said:
What's the word on Mafia 2? I'm intrigued.
It's good. If you love Goodfellas you'll really love this as it seems like Goodfellas the video game. I don;t mean the story is exactly the same but it is good and it reminds me of a mafia movie.

Joe Molotov

Mafia 2 is pretty good, just be aware that it's not an open-world GTA-style game. Other than there being way too much driving, I liked it. It's more like Kane & Lynch 2 than GTA 4. Kane & Lynch 2 with a lot of driving.

Javaman

Woohoo! I got a dino-Day key. Send a request to...

dinodday@gmail.com

They apparently haven't gone through all 1000 betas yet.

2u62qv8.jpg

3247meg DL, :eek:O.

Edit: Shares assets with source, so that explains the size.

TheThunder said:
So just plug the usb charger in and I'm good to go ?

The USB charger does not send information, it only supplies power. You need a wired controller or a PC receiver to use a wireless 360 controller.

If you have a PS3 controller, you can play that with a USB cord with MotioninJoy.

Slavik81

BuddhaRockstar said:
How low did TF2 get during the christmas sale? I've been meaning to pick up a copy for my girlfriend couldn't decide whether to wait for a steam sale or just pick it up on Amazon for $10.
It's not on sale all that often. Just grab it off Amazon.

spicy cho

Javaman said:
Woohoo! I got a dino-Day key. Send a request to...

dinodday@gmail.com

They apparently haven't gone through all 1000 betas yet.

2u62qv8.jpg

3247meg DL, :eek:O.

Edit: Shares assets with source, so that explains the size.
I've played it a couple of hours, and I sincerely hope they don't plan to charge much. It's just a mod, there isn't a whole lot going on with it.

Zzoram

dLMN8R said:
TF2 went on sale for $2.50 for two whole hours some time in 2009:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/2...-only-2-50-act-quick-only-a-few-minutes-left/

Other than that, it pretty regularly goes on sale for $5, though who knows when that will happen again.

I wouldn't say regularly $5. It's usually $10, and only $5 during Christmas.

The $2.50 for 2.5 hours thing was some random anniversary thing or something I think, and it wasn't advertised, you basically had to luck into it.

Slavik81

Just to be clear, if I uninstall games, I'll be able to download them again later as if nothing ever happened and everything will still be intact, right? Or is that just games with Steam Cloud? I'm planning on uninstalling games for Lent, but I think I'll start with just Steam Cloud ones first just to be safe...

Blizzard

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Just to be clear, if I uninstall games, I'll be able to download them again later as if nothing ever happened and everything will still be intact, right? Or is that just games with Steam Cloud? I'm planning on uninstalling games for Lent, but I think I'll start with just Steam Cloud ones first just to be safe...
You can redownload any game you own, but only Steam Cloud games would try to preserve your save files (if I understand correctly). In fact, I would look into backing up your save files by hand, if you have any games where your saves are very important to you.

Notrollious said:
It certainly has flaws but you'd be crazy not to get it for $7.50. Great atmosphere. Nice 40's and 50's soundtrack. The driving can be a bit boring at times.

I played it all the way through and enjoyed it.

dLMN8R

cooljeanius said:
Blizzard said:
You can redownload any game you own, but only Steam Cloud games would try to preserve your save files (if I understand correctly). In fact, I would look into backing up your save files by hand, if you have any games where your saves are very important to you.
Most non-Valve games still save your saved games to your Documents folder. Uninstalling a game from Steam doesn't touch anything outside of the Steam directory, so your Documents folder and everything else outside of the Steam folder will be safe.

dLMN8R said:
Most non-Valve games still save your saved games to your Documents folder. Uninstalling a game from Steam doesn't touch anything outside of the Steam directory, so your Documents folder and everything else outside of the Steam folder will be safe.
Thanks, that is very good to know. That lets me uninstall things w/o worrying about losing saved games.

Notrollious said:
I liked it. The chores are not that bad as they are made out to be in that review. You do drive quite a lot but it has a great driving model imo and you can switch MKB and controller on the fly. Shooting feels tight and gfx are quite good as well.

Relax.MX

Risen? is good?(there is a demo...but i think on RPGs simply not help) is 30 dlls(deal in the past on steam?) becouse i need a PC RPG for the waiting of The Witcher 2.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
speculawyer said:
Thanks, that is very good to know. That lets me uninstall things w/o worrying about losing saved games.
Yeah.

The only difference is that games that support Steam Cloud let you use the same save across computers.

Relax.MX said:
Risen? is good?(there is a demo...but i think on RPGs simply not help) is 30 dlls(deal in the past on steam?) becouse i need a PC RPG for the waiting of The Witcher 2.

Risen is great, it's 30 bucks at the moment.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Relax.MX said:
Risen? is good? is 30 dlls(deal in the past on steam?) becouse i need a PC RPG for the waiting of The Witcher 2.

I'm playing it right now, just bought it last week.

It starts out a little rough when you're weak and you don't know what to do, but it captures the Morrowind-style fun of exploring a world. There is a big, pretty world to explore and it can be daunting since high level enemies will wreck you at first. One thing I really like is the fact that skills like alchemy, cooking, forging (etc) are actually usefull and it pays to develop them. It can be really slow when you're in a city trying to do a million quests at once but overall it seems like a great game so far. I don't regret paying 30 for it.

It seems like a really big game, too. I'm about 10 hours in and I feel like I'm just starting.

Seems like not that many people are playing Risk. I wonder why EA decided to release it without any sort of marketing (Unless I'm missing something here, I never even knew that the game was coming to the PC until today).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Night_Trekker said:
I was about to go for Mafia 2, but... the deluxe edition doesn't even have all the DLC included? WTF is this shit?

the two actual DLC mission packs are both priced more than the actual game, which is funny

full game: $7.50 cut content DLC missions: $10 each

I'll just take the full game and leave the cc DLC missions to my imagination

Wark

Night_Trekker said:
I was about to go for Mafia 2, but... the deluxe edition doesn't even have all the DLC included? WTF is this shit?

I actually noticed that AFTER I purchased it. Oh well, at least it's cheaper than it normally would be. I played the hell out of my girl's copy of the game on the 360 so I'm happy it's cheap.

Okay so if you remember yesterday I had an issue playing Batman. (Posts 3281 to 3299)

So I decided to download another game to see if that works. This was DiRT 2.

Yeah it doesn't work.

When I click play for another time instead of installing all four things, it only reinstalls one, DirectX.
oXxRi.png

This is exactly what happened with Batman last night.

I will download and install DirectX manually and get back to you in 10 minutes to tell you if it works or not.

confused

Banned
Snuggler said:
the two actual DLC mission packs are both priced more than the actual game, which is funny

full game: $7.50 cut content DLC missions: $10 each

I'll just take the full game and leave the cc DLC missions to my imagination

The opposite in EU. Base game is 10, expansion are 8 each. funny............kinda.

At least over Christmas all the DLC was 75% off, too. Buy the base game now and get the DLC in the Summer Sale.

Should we expect anything at Easter time ?

confused

Banned
ashbash159 said:
I can't work out where to download the latest DirectX.

DX homepage

Probably won't work though as Steam installs DirectX seperately for each game, presumably in the gamefolder somewhere.

Are you having the same problem with non-GFWL games ?

confused said:
DX homepage

Probably won't work though as Steam installs DirectX seperately for each game, presumably in the gamefolder somewhere.

Are you having the same problem with non-GFWL games ?
The only non-GFLW games I have tried are Valve's games on the Source engine and Aquaria. They all work.

Any just now I reinstalled DirectX from inside one of the game's folders, had to restart. Restarted and clicked play and so far DiRT 2 is working!

Edit: Tried Batman, works also!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mafia II will be on sale still tomorrow/Thursday right?

And what is the cheapest place/price for The Orange Box?

Mr_eX

BuddhaRockstar said:

I'd just buy it from amazon, it's only $5 more than it was during the christmas sale and you wont have to wait.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I definitely recommend Mafia II. I think it has a decent plot, and driving against the clock to sell fuel stamps is no different mechanically than driving against the clock to steal TV's or whatever, its just a little more realistic in its set-up. It plays a lot like a gangster movie, with a similar level of action, you aren't shooting tons of people in every mission. Its true that the lead character is lacking a bit in backbone, but he isn't unbelievable - he's just a soldier in the mafia doing what his bosses tell him.

hamchan

For that price yeah I also recommend Mafia 2. I really dislike the long long driving sections, the shooting ain't so great and the ending of the story was pretty rubbish too. Still, you get a game with good atmosphere, it's worth the low price.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just started to play the Mafia 2 I was gifted during the Christmas sale recently, and I'm about 12 chapters in. It's certainly a very well made game, but there are some things about the presentation that kind of irk me, like how the story is delivered in chapters. Just as I start to get immersed in the world, I'm told to go back to my house and sleep to trigger the next cut-scene which
may or may not advance me years in the story
. I don't feel like I'm in control of the game and it just seems oddly disjointed. Especially early on when the chapters move by somewhat quickly.

I'm still really enjoying the game despite that, though.

Blizzard said:
OK, I just got a portable hard drive, so it looks like it's time to start up Carbon Copy Cloner again...

dLMN8R said:
Do you know if this is any different for Mac users? As far as I know, on Mac, all Steam stuff goes under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, so that seems like it would all be stuff that Steam could touch when uninstalling...

Blizzard

Banned
cooljeanius said:
OK, I just got a portable hard drive, so it looks like it's time to start up Carbon Copy Cloner again...

Do you know if this is any different for Mac users? As far as I know, on Mac, all Steam stuff goes under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, so that seems like it would all be stuff that Steam could touch when uninstalling...
The only things I remember offhand that go in weird locations in Windows, BESIDES Valve games (which go in the Steam folder?), are Plants vs. Zombies and uh...some other small game. World of Goo, I believe. Those ended up somewhere odd in Windows, like C:\ProgramData if I recall correctly. Someone correct me if I remembered the games wrong though.

Swag

Is there a way to stop Steam from doing first time setup on something?

I bought Rift and it keeps failing to install Microsoft VC Redis because of an install error, yet keeps attempting to install it every time.

rem

Neo Member
Try deleting the VC installer exe/msi

Had the same problem with Battlefield 2 wanting to install Gamespy Comrade every time I ran it, deleting the exe fixed it

Zzoram

Sebulon3k said:
Is there a way to stop Steam from doing first time setup on something?

I bought Rift and it keeps failing to install Microsoft VC Redis because of an install error, yet keeps attempting to install it every time.

Can you verify cache integrity to fix the problem? You can do that without launching the game and starting the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom