• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Mafia 2 is a good game, the main story is pretty good and so are the characters. Kinda wish they didnt clearly cut so much from it though.

Um... Why does Steam always ask me for the email code when I try to log in on my laptop? >.>? I thought it was just meant to be a one time thing?

Oh and yeah, the ending to Mafia 2 was kinda bit too abrupt...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Another thumbs up for Mafia 2. It's a solid game with lovely voice acting and gorgeous visuals. And get this, the game ran rather well for me and my long aging 9800. 7.50 is an absolutely awesome deal.

Oreoleo

Jangaroo said:
Another thumbs up for Mafia 2. It's a solid game with lovely voice acting and gorgeous visuals. And get this, the game ran rather well for me and my long aging 9800. 7.50 is an absolutely awesome deal.

Y U NO PLAY TF2

morningbus said:
I just started to play the Mafia 2 I was gifted during the Christmas sale recently, and I'm about 12 chapters in. It's certainly a very well made game, but there are some things about the presentation that kind of irk me, like how the story is delivered in chapters. Just as I start to get immersed in the world, I'm told to go back to my house and sleep to trigger the next cut-scene which
may or may not advance me years in the story
. I don't feel like I'm in control of the game and it just seems oddly disjointed. Especially early on when the chapters move by somewhat quickly.

I'm still really enjoying the game despite that, though.
By what I understand, there were some changes made late in the design. I guess they took out some missions and made them into DLC. So some of the continuity got a bit messed up.

I just started playing Joe's Adventure. It is better than 'Jimmy's Vendetta' which felt more like a bunch of side missions' Damn that driving on the ice was hard . . . I finally had to take it out of simulation mode to beat it.

markot said:
Mafia 2 is a good game, the main story is pretty good and so are the characters. Kinda wish they didnt clearly cut so much from it though.

Um... Why does Steam always ask me for the email code when I try to log in on my laptop? >.>? I thought it was just meant to be a one time thing?

Oh and yeah, the ending to Mafia 2 was kinda bit too abrupt...

You have to opt into the beta on your laptop too.

Edit: I know the following only pertains to TF2 beta right now, but Valve uses TF2 to test their ideas for future features of Steam:

General:
Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)
Added in-game Coaching system
Added in-game Voting system
Added training for the Demoman, Spy and Engineer
Temporarily enabled crafting and trading
Synced with changes from the official releases

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1629850

Looks like they are possibly testing Dota 2's Coaching system and probably Steam's future video publishing with the newest beta...

Sanjay

"Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences" Would get me back to playing TF2, when will this come out?

Loxley

Sanjay said:
"Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences" Would get me back to playing TF2, when will this come out?

At this point I would guess whenever they get it working properly. Valve doesn't normally put out any sort of ETA on features like that as far as I'm aware...they just sort of release a short statement saying "Oh by the way, that feature is going live tomorrow".

snack

Sanjay said:
In a future update. Judging by VALVE-TIME, no one really knows. :p

Ledsen

Blizzard said:
The only things I remember offhand that go in weird locations in Windows, BESIDES Valve games (which go in the Steam folder?), are Plants vs. Zombies and uh...some other small game. World of Goo, I believe. Those ended up somewhere odd in Windows, like C:\ProgramData if I recall correctly. Someone correct me if I remembered the games wrong though.

Yeah World of Goo stores saves in Appdata/Local which is pretty stupid.

confused

Banned
So, I just noticed that the Dreamcast Collection is listed on Steam as DreamCast collection BLUE. Probably indicating that there will be more DreamCast collections coming up (Red, green, whatever)

confused said:
So, I just noticed that the Dreamcast Collection is listed on Steam as DreamCast collection BLUE. Probably indicating that there will be more DreamCast collections coming up (Red, green, whatever)

It's a shame the Saturn is probably never going to get the same treatment. For some nostalgic reason I just have more affection for those titles (Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force) than for the Dreamcast era.

Volcynika

Forkball said:
A bunch of Majesty stuff is on sale. I predict that's the weekend deal.

No, new DLC came out for it, that's why it's on sale. I'd more wonder why Wings of Prey is on sale, didn't see anything in the news about it.

Risk Factions is awesome. It's sort of a cross between Risk and Advance Wars with the aesthetic and character of the Penny Arcade games. There are barracks, missiles, yetis, and you can flood a continent by opening up a huge dam.

It includes classic Risk, but it sucks hard. It doesn't have any of the gameplay customization options of Risk II, and doesn't even let you pick your starting countries, which I remember being a pretty basic rule of the board game.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Zzoram said:
I wouldn't say regularly $5. It's usually $10, and only $5 during Christmas.

The $2.50 for 2.5 hours thing was some random anniversary thing or something I think, and it wasn't advertised, you basically had to luck into it.

It was around halloween. I remember gifting a copy to some friends. I remember seeing a banner for it so i don't think it was so much luck.

Shadybiz

Gah..I need to learn to stay out of this thread. Mafia 2 = bought. Really can't resist for $7.50. I have a couple of months before I'll actually have time to play it, but it'll be there, anyway. Thanks for the heads up!

Relax.MX

I'm not the best strategy gamer...but i love Civilization(and well before also games like Age Of Empires 2...something...i guess not to hard)...

Chance with Total War? someone to start? i think total war rome will be on sale ¿start with this?

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:
The TF2 stuff? How so? Mann Store? Random drops?

The Japanese TF2 stuff looks cool but I've got no interest in Strategy games.
Buy from Mann store, or get from drops, or craft luck-of-the-draw with slot+class tokens, or craft (maybe) from recipes. I haven't seen yet if specific recipes have been added.

outunderthestars said:
Has anyone played Risk Factions yet? How is the pc version compared to the XBLA?

I haven't played the xbla version, but the pc version is clearly a straight port. It looks a little low-res for a pc game and it can be fiddly when you try to click on countries with the mouse.

Having said that, it runs great and it is super fun.

Is it just me or did the Store tab used to have the normal browser buttons somewhere (refresh, stop, home)? Now I only see back and forward. Not a big deal but did I just imagine them or did they get taken out at some point?

Joe Molotov

faceless007 said:
Is it just me or did the Store tab used to have the normal browser buttons somewhere (refresh, stop, home)? Now I only see back and forward. Not a big deal but did I just imagine them or did they get taken out at some point?

They're hidden now, along with the Steam URL bar. Go to Settings -> Interface and check show Steam URL bar.

confused said:
Somebody inform me on Settlers 7. Is the emphasis on building, politics or combat?
I'd say it's best described with Settlers of Catan as a Realtime Building Game. ;)
Other than previous (settlers 1 to 4) games the main goal to win is getting victory points. you get them for having the biggest army, owning the most sectors, being the best economic player, traded the most and the likes.

If you are tempted, just try the demo first: http://www.gamershell.com/download_57100.shtml

I really like it, especially in multiplayer ("offline" - read: not against strangers but people near me)

confused

Banned
Caesar III said:
I'd say it's best described with Settlers of Catan as a Realtime Building Game. ;)
Other than previous (settlers 1 to 4) games the main goal to win is getting victory points. you get them for having the biggest army, owning the most sectors, being the best economic player, traded the most and the likes.

If you are tempted, just try the demo first: http://www.gamershell.com/download_57100.shtml

I really like it, especially in multiplayer ("offline" - read: not against strangers but people near me)

Thanks, downloading the demo. The quicklook still left me wondering if I'd enjoy it.

leroidys said:
oh god damnit. awesome tf2 hats for shogun 2 preorder. must. resist.

They show up as random drops, too. Makes it a lot easier to resist.

Weenerz

Banned
Ended up buying Shogun 2 for the TF2 items, then I logged into TF2 and I see them on the store for $30 instead of $50, fuck. I hope I like the game.

The sword you get for TF2 is pretty strong, I was wrecking dudes earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom