• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HAHAHA OH GOD

This is the best.

And by best I mean it looks TERRIBLE and is wrapping back around into so bad it's good.

Lemme try to stream this shit

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WanderingWind said:
Steam/stupid question. I want to buy a game from a GAF'er but it's a hard copy. Is there a code or something that allows you to activate the game so it can be played without the hard copy, or does it need to be in the drive or what?

I know, I know. Total n00b question. Sorry...

If it's on the Steam compatible list, you should be able to use the CD-Key included with the physical game to activate it on Steam.

No need to use the disc. I did this with Fallout New Vegas and I never even had to put the DVD in my disc drive.

How do I use a games screenshot as a wallpaper in my Steam library? I remember that being mentioned as one of the features of the new screenshot function.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Snuggler said:
If it's on the Steam compatible list, you should be able to use the CD-Key included with the physical game to activate it on Steam.

No need to use the disc. I did this with Fallout New Vegas and I never even had to put the DVD in my disc drive.

So, I can buy it now, input the CD key now and play it tonight?

EDIT: Nevermind. That's a short freakin' list.

Htown said:
Question 1: More or fewer graphics options than Crysis 2?

More. Crysis 2 has a setting for resolution, a setting for vsync on/off, and only has a single Low/Medium/High choice for graphics. It's one of the most stripped down menus in the history of PC gaming.

I <3 Memes said:
How do I use a games screenshot as a wallpaper in my Steam library? I remember that being mentioned as one of the features of the new screenshot function.

Just go to the actual game on the Detail View mode, where the screens are displayed there click view screenshot library, then click show on disc. Right click on the one you want and "make this my wallpaper."

~Kinggi~

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
More. Crysis 2 has a setting for resolution, a setting for vsync on/off, and only has a single Low/Medium/High choice for graphics. It's one of the most stripped down menus in the history of PC gaming.
dear lord.

PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION, EA ACCOUNT, REGISTRATION WITH ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. SOFTWARE REGISTRATION IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EULA, EA ONLINE PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF SERVICE CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.EA.COM. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

For Darkspore...

Blizzard

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
dear lord.
That's the demo though. Presumably the full game might have more options or let you edit the config files, or if they're encrypted someone might find a way to edit them anyway.

*edit* Ooh, good to see another company following along after Ubisoft. I was afraid Ubisoft was going to be the only company whose DRM'd games I would be avoiding.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

battlelosangeles.jpg

Thanks, Crytek, for giving us less graphics options than a multiplatform movie license shovelware game debuting at $10 and using Comic Sans for its subtitles.

EA just straight up doesn't care anymore. They've gone off the deep end and instead of trying to climb back up they're like "meh fuck it, it's more comfy here anyway"

Won't be buying any PC games with that garbage in it, even though my internet is almost always on.

punkypine

wait... slightly off topic, but the graphics options in the crysis 2 demo are the same ones that are giong to be in the final game? i figured it was just like that for simplicity in the demo...

scorpscarx said:
Just go to the actual game on the Detail View mode, where the screens are displayed there click view screenshot library, then click show on disc. Right click on the one you want and "make this my wallpaper."

No I want to make the screenshot the backdrop in the detailed view in my Steam library. I thought someone said you could use screenshots from games to make a custom backdrop in my Steam library.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EviLore said:
http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/battlelosangeles.jpg[img]

Thanks, Crytek, for giving us less graphics options than a multiplatform movie license shovelware game debuting at $10 and using Comic Sans for its subtitles.[/QUOTE]
These 3rd party, 3rd world devs are leading us into the bright world of DX11 with options. Crytek will move onto FB games soon.

Htown

~Kinggi~ said:
masterful cinematics. Wonderful.
oh god

they get so much better.

the voice acting is fantastic. the main dude (not the guy you play, i guess he's a guy from the movie) is literally yelling the entire time. he is the only one who sounds like he's across the street from the mic every time he talks.

Also the fucking in-game banter between your squadmates is hilarious.

"You get hit?"
"Got hit!
"Report!"
"Some shots hit me!"

Literally, every single time a fight ends you get some dude yelling HOW ARE YOU and someone else going I GOT SHOT! or some variation thereof.

GET INTO COVER!
I NEED COVER!
YOU NEED COVER!
I'M IN COVER!
I have literally heard every one of those lines from squadmates.

There is no actual cover mechanic in the game. You just duck behind cars. and get behind a wall or something.

PS don't buy this game. it's literally ONE enemy the entire time, but sometimes they jump on these gun emplacements and you have to go flank them. The cutscenes are fucking magical though. Also I've seen three guns so far: assault rifle, sniper rifle, and rocket launcher, which you get just in time to fight an alien spaceship which you literally have to shoot like 15 or 20 times. It's like, YEAH, I KNOW, SHOOT IT WHEN IT'S CHARGING I GOT IT.

If you use the assault rifle dudes are like, bigger bullet sponges than the Gears of War guys. Or you can shoot them in the head like once. Sniper rifle will kill dudes in one shot a lot of the time, but it is super slow between shots.

Ickman3400 said:
Won't be buying any PC games with that garbage in it, even though my internet is almost always on.

Thanks to all of these digital distribution sales I generally buy games with bad DRM when they hit $5 or less. I get to play the games and feel smug about sticking to my guns.

Htown

also i could be mistaken but I think the aliens are holding their guns gangsta sideways the entire time

Hmm I gave Empire: Total War a little bit too much thought and didn't pick it up. I already own Rome (and have never played it, lol).

I'll just hope for Medieval to go on sale, so I won't go out of this sale empty-handed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
punkypine said:
wait... slightly off topic, but the graphics options in the crysis 2 demo are the same ones that are giong to be in the final game?

Confirmed by Nvidia when they benched the full game.

Uhh guys, Darkspore is an online game. The whole point is to play co-op and PvP. It's similar to Diablo II (think Battle.net)

And yes, the game is AWESOME! Can't stress enough how good it is, especially if you're a loot whore like me (and love customization too).

Htown said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3stIrb5hPk

Opening of the game, with a little menu action.

Question 2: Is that... comic sans?

Wow, this is 10 bucks? That looks damn good for a 10 dollar game. I think I'm gonna get it lol.

Htown

I wouldn't.

I'm already done with the campaign. (On normal.)

That's right, even with me playing around the first time and recording the opening cutscene and nonsense...

battleLA.jpg

Yep.

confused

Banned
Htown said:
I wouldn't.

I'm already done with the campaign. (On normal.)

That's right, even with me playing around the first time and recording the opening cutscene and nonsense...

battleLA.jpg

Yep.

Wow. Thanks for taking one for the team. You're a true trooper.

purple-heart.jpg

Htown

The game has some unlockables: basically concept art and videos and such. They also have "mods", each unlocked by beating a different difficulty level - "Hollywood Mode", "Double Physics", and "Tough Guys".

Beating a high difficulty level does not unlock the lower level stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Htown said:
The game has some unlockables: basically concept art and videos and such. They also have "mods", each unlocked by beating a different difficulty level - "Hollywood Mode", "Double Physics", and "Tough Guys".

Beating a high difficulty level does not unlock the lower level stuff.

a 59 minute game that you need to play to completion 5 times to finish is still only a 5 hour game hahaha

Heavy said:
Uhh guys, Darkspore is an online game. The whole point is to play co-op and PvP. It's similar to Diablo II (think Battle.net)

And yes, the game is AWESOME! Can't stress enough how good it is, especially if you're a loot whore like me (and love customization too).

I should really play the beta at some point. Impressions are fairly positive so far for it.

trinest said:
Instead its $70!

(whats it listed in the American store?)

Yep same in Aus, EA passing the benefit onto the consumer... by not price-gouging as badly as activision.

Edit: Also is Majesty 2 any good? Looks like it could be some fun for the price.

I <3 Memes said:
No I want to make the screenshot the backdrop in the detailed view in my Steam library. I thought someone said you could use screenshots from games to make a custom backdrop in my Steam library.

I think your out of luck if you wan't to set that manually, if you have taken shots from said game, it will automatically cycle them in with the ones that come with the game. I've been looking at my Witcher screens adorn the Witcher page's backdrop in the detail view forever, it's on an automatic cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom