• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't see NFS: Shift 2 on steam yet. Is EA going to do the same thing they did with HP?

How do you manage to own more than 200 games? Are there that many good games on Steam? I have the majority of the cream of the crop and the number doesn't even pass 100.

Furthermore, my Steam backlog could keep me busy for a few years at least, so I don't feel the pressure to buy more games when there are sales. However, there is one game that I would buy without question if it was on sale: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Ohh and buy The Witcher people!

Weenerz

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
How do you manage to own more than 200 games? Are there that many good games on Steam? I have the majority of the cream of the crop and the number doesn't even pass 100.

Furthermore, my Steam backlog could keep me busy for a few years at least, so I don't feel the pressure to buy more games when there are sales. However, there is one game that I would buy without question if it was on sale: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Depends on the games you like to play, you may not like as many genres as someone who has 200+ games. I'm almost at 300 myself, slowly completing them one by one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shagg_187 said:
Don't get the steam speed hate, at all! :p

lejOg.jpg
It tends to cap at about 2 MB/Sec, not matter how high your bandwidth is.

Full Publish Packs and Indie Packs really bulked up my library. $5 for 5+ games in the Indie packs, $50 for every 2K game, ect.

Also, multi-game packs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lasthope106 said:

You don't have the majority of the cream of the crop :p

stuminus3

Lasthope106 said:
I have the majority of the cream of the crop and the number doesn't even pass 100.
You only think you have the majority of the cream of the crop.

EDIT: damnit, that was a pitiful beating. :lol

kswiston

Lasthope106 said:

I like supporting Indie games. Over half my list is comprised of indie titles. If an indie title looks moderately interesting, and is on sale for $1-5, I will often purchase it. Even if I don't find time to play it, I think of it as encouraging indie game development.

kswiston

Nabs said:
it maxes me out at 2.5

When I was living in Quebec, with a 30mbps line, I typically got 2.5-3.5 Mb/s, unless there was some sort of big sale on. Where I am now, I get 2Mb/s, but that is the maximum speed of my connection.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lasthope106 said:

Ohh and buy The Witcher people!

Bloodlines is permanently on sale for $20, as it is easily worth $40. I don't know how anyone who thinks they'd be interested in an incredibly well written and voiced open-ended RPG that takes place in a world of vampires rich with lore which rewards intelligence over brawn, and has a heavy focus on story like Planescape Torment, can purchase anything on Steam for more than $20 knowing they could very well have gotten Bloodlines instead.

Post a link to your steam list if you don't believe there's 100s of good games, just be careful cause you may end up with like $500+ of game suggestions! Though perhaps turning the thread in to a bunch of favorite game lists that you don't own isn't the best idea.

2San

Drkirby said:
It tends to cap at about 2 MB/Sec, not matter how high your bandwidth is.
de32X.jpg

Averages around 6.something mb/s for me. This was taken just now and fluctuates to 7mb/s at times. From the Netherlands. I'm guessing steam has multiple servers in various countries and don't really have a cap. I reckon they just have good and bad hosts.

Instro

kswiston said:
I like supporting Indie games. Over half my list is comprised of indie titles. If an indie title looks moderately interesting, and is on sale for $1-5, I will often purchase it. Even if I don't find time to play it, I think of it as encouraging indie game development.

Yeah I have a ton of indie games on Steam as well, they are really hard to pass up during steam sales because they are generally super cheap, and a lot of them are quite good.

vocab

SteelAttack said:
So the Witcher is 50% off. Is there any chance on an even bigger sale in the near future?

It was $5 on the Christmas sale twice. Either wait till summer sale and pray, or just buy it for $10, and play it before the sequel.

kswiston

I got both Drakensang and Bloodlines for $5 a piece during D2Ds 5th anniversary sale a year and a half ago. Sadly, both are still in my backlog... should rectify that soon.

SteelAttack said:
So the Witcher is 50% off. Is there any chance on an even bigger sale in the near future?

Doubt it will go on sale again before 2 comes out so you should grab it now and enjoy it, plus get your save file ready for 2.

Sanic

Exuro said:
That's what's it uses on the HDD but I'm pretty sure the download itself is smaller what with compressed files. Either way it's a large download.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not really interested in downloading 10+ GB's on my connection so I think i'll pass on this.

vocab

Weenerz said:
$15 for a damn map pack, fuck Activision. (Yes, I know they did it before with MW2, but this still sucks).

$15 for shitty maps, or $10 for Witcher. HMMMMMM I WONDER WHAT THE BETTER VALUE IS.

Weenerz

Banned
I remember, long ago where a company got a sponsor for a map pack or a patch and it was free for PC players. This needs to come back.

nexen

Minsc said:
Bloodlines is permanently on sale for $20, as it is easily worth $40. ...
Admit it - you have this saved to a text file somewhere and just copy & paste it whenever someone asks about a Bloodlines sale.

TimmiT

TheExodu5 said:
I could probably never buy another game in my life and still not finish the games on my Steam list. I'm at about 390 now.
That's three times as much games as I have on Steam. And I thought I had way too many games.

NaM said:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut is 50% off $9.99. I could buy it again just to have it on my steam game list :p
oh dude YES i have been itching to get this for months now after finally discovering wtf was going on with the game. will finally be prepared for the witcher 2 proper style

vocab

Weenerz said:
I remember, long ago where a company got a sponsor for a map pack or a patch and it was free for PC players. This needs to come back.

uhh. How about making maps in support for the fanbase. Or better yet, allow the community to make maps because we know making maps take years of hard work (lol ya right). Fuck Activision, fuck map packs. Give me a map editor, I'll make something better than crates, trash, and exploding cars and give it to people for free.

Sadly the downfall of the Q3 engine was dling custom shit. It always took forever. UT had a redirect to an FTP, and that shit was blazing fast. It made the transition map to map much smoother. It's pretty sad when Mount and Blade has a better download system than most of the Q3 engine games.

PatzCU

Oh why do I come in this thread? Looks like I'm going to have to buy Witcher.

Actually, can someone give me a 1-3 sentence summary of why I should buy Witcher? Is it an action RPG? Does it have a good story/atmosphere? Will I get sweet weapons and annihilate everything?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Finally got a new Mac... one capable of running Windows via Bootcamp. Steam just got 100X more deadly, for me.

I already owned fully half of the Mac Steam titles released, ha. So far I've managed to show some restraint on the Windows side, despite having Win7 installed for a couple weeks, now. I just nabbed Witcher for $10... my first Windows purchase.

It's all downhill from here!

vocab

PatzCU said:
Oh why do I come in this thread? Looks like I'm going to have to buy Witcher.

Actually, can someone give me a 1-3 sentence summary of why I should buy Witcher? Is it an action RPG? Does it have a good story/atmosphere? Will I get sweet weapons and annihilate everything?

You fuck women for trading cards.

It has story and atmosphere. The combat is kind of the weakness of the game, but everything else is pretty damn solid.

Weenerz

Banned
vocab said:
uhh. How about making maps in support for the fanbase. Or better yet, allow the community to make maps because we know making maps take years of hard work (lol ya right). Fuck Activision, fuck map packs. Give me a map editor, I'll make something better than crates, trash, and exploding cars and give it to people for free.

Sadly the downfall of the Q3 engine was dling custom shit. It always took forever. UT had a redirect to an FTP, and that shit was blazing fast. It made the transition map to map much smoother. It's pretty sad when Mount and Blade has a better download system than most of the Q3 engine games.

Oh I completely agree with you about making them free and releasing an SDK, it's part of the reason why I like supporting Valve so much.

RTCW:ET had a pretty fast download rate from what I remember, but it's been so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom