• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
PatzCU said:
Oh why do I come in this thread? Looks like I'm going to have to buy Witcher.

Actually, can someone give me a 1-3 sentence summary of why I should buy Witcher? Is it an action RPG? Does it have a good story/atmosphere? Will I get sweet weapons and annihilate everything?

Your mother sucks dwarf cock.

What we are seeing the with the COD map packs is gradual conditioning on people. Eventually these packs are going to be released often enough that when Activision announces their subscription plans for COD, people won't bitch since they will be already be used to paying the same amount for packs.

tomedo

Fuck yea! I was just thinking about pulling the trigger on Witcher yesterday (after watching some sweet Witcher 2 footage) but fought the impulse since I knew it had been on sale earlier.

Minsc

Gold Member
nexen said:
Admit it - you have this saved to a text file somewhere and just copy & paste it whenever someone asks about a Bloodlines sale.

Wish I could, you have a point though, I should starting finding new ways to say it. So long as someone buys it or it moves up a few dozen spots in someone's backlog, all's well!

Volcynika

Minsc said:
Wish I could, you have a point though, I should starting finding new ways to say it. So long as someone buys it or it moves up a few dozen spots in someone's backlog, all's well!

I was never able to beat the game due to a crash I could never fix. :(

plc268

Meh, sorry, I won't buy maps I'll never play.

I've bought map packs on the consoles before, but I've learned my lesson... I'd rarely ever play the maps.

CoD:WaW was perfect in terms of map packs. They were sponsored, so everyone got them and everyone played them.

Minsc said:

I've gotta be one of the last who hasn't played Bloodlines. Twenty bucks is just too much of a gamble on a completely unknown entity (for me) no matter the praise. Been burned too many times on these $15-20 games on Steam. Make it 10 bucks and I'm sold!

If you don't own The Witcher, now you have no excuse. Buy it, it's an awesome rpg. It's probably one of the most nuanced games in recent years when it comes to choice and consequences. I've never agonized over the choices an rpg has presented me with until I played the Witcher. You'll make what you think is the best choice you can at the time and the consequences will end up being horrendous. Or what you think is an inconsequential choice in the grand scheme of things will come back to change the story in a surprising way.

Use and abuse the alchemy system. If you have Swallow potions to keep up your health, no fight should be too hard.

nexen

Minsc said:
I wasn't really trying to make a point, just wanted to tease you a bit. :p

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
NWN2 and The Witcher bought! Still making my way through the CD Tomb Raider games I picked up during the Squenix-Eidos sale, but it's nice to know that I have some meaty RPG experiences waiting for me once I'm done.

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on DA2, heh.

Gvaz

Banned
Is sacred 2 worth it for $10?

Winter voices looks interesting, I liked the audio in the demo but the gameplay was dumb and the story was lame.

NWN2 platinum looks like a better deal and I want to like it (I think i've bought nwn1 twice and I have all but zehyr on D2D) but NWN1 was such a pain for me that every time I play NWN I get frustrated and bored and jsut stop playing.

I like mapgames (kinda). Victoria 1 is interesting but 2 is still too expensive for my impulse buying limit.

Makoto

Stallion Free said:
I bought the map pack lol. I've put over 100 hours into just multi so it will be nice to get some new maps.

Well, at least buying map packs for Black Ops is actually viable because there are undoubtedly going to be servers that have it in its rotation. MW2 on the other hand is just in decline and anyone who bought the map packs probably didn't get their value out of it because of the division of players.

For the record, I won't be buying map packs.

I refuse to understand why people don't like the point and click timing of the The Witcher's combat, I love it.

It's engaging, exciting, and makes the player have some sort of timing skill which adds a gameplay mechanic.

I'm not a fan of most quick-time events, but I don't consider this combat system quick time at all.

Once you get good at it you can string style, enemies, turn around in an instant mid-action to complete the third tier of 'click-set' onto another enemy.

It's visceral and I like it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still find $15 is a bit pricey for maps, $10 feels like a much more acceptable amount, though I am sure some figures have shown they won't get 33% more sales by making it 33% cheaper.

BioHazard

What de fook. I swear I used to have Sacred 2, now I don't? It's not in my list and doesn't say I have it when I view it in the store. I bought it like a LONG time ago, like when it was first released.

stuminus3

Never bought a map pack in my life. Never will. For any amount.

However, if I could pay Valve to add several more instances of Team Fortress 2 to my Steam account, I so would.

Imagine, launching Steam and having Team Fortress 2 listed a hundred times over. Heaven.

Sanic

I've never played a loot game before (outside of Borderlands, if that counts) so I may pick up Sacred 2...and I guess The Witcher as well, due to all the praise that's being showered upon it. 20 GB download, here I come!

Danneee

What should I expect from NWN2? From the videos on Steam it looks kind of like a Diablo clone, I though it was a party based wrpg?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Danneee said:
What should I expect from NWN2? From the videos on Steam it looks kind of like a Diablo clone, I though it was a party based wrpg?

Party-based WRPG. Very much like Baldur's Gate 1/2, with D&D 3.5 ruleset. Pause on space, give orders, unpause.

The original NWN2 campaign is a bit crap, but the two expansions that come in the Platinum SKU are awesome. Definitely worth $10.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Danneee said:

Party based wrpg, real-time with pause like the infinity engine games.

Original campaign has quite a different feel between each of its three acts. Act 1 is very linear and dull. Act 2 focuses on a very interesting stronghold system where you manage and upgrade your stronghold, recruit people, etc. Makes playing the game worthwhile, I think, if you can survive Act 1. Act 3 is kinda like DA:O, I guess, with more of a story emphasis and a few set-piece locations.

The first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is basically the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Arguably the best game Obsidian has made. Great storytelling and emphasis on choice:consequence.

The second expansion, Storm of Zehir, is a very experimental game focusing on a JRPG-style overworld, full party creation and crafting, and managing a trade empire. It's not entirely successful but it's very creative.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Acidote said:
A warning to those considering buying Sacred 2. The game is almost endless.
Are we talking "extremely long" endless, or "there is no actual ending" endless like Mount and Blade or something?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Htown said:
Are we talking "extremely long" endless, or "there is no actual ending" endless like Mount and Blade or something?

I played Sacred 2 for maaaaany hours on the 360 and uncovered I think 19% of the map...

iavi

teiresias said:
What's the best use of $10? Sacred 2 or NWN2? Or should my answer just be "finish your damn backlog first!!!!"

Same here. I'm leaning towards NWN2 though. Evilore's little info-jot on the game did enough convincing.

teiresias

Miri said:
Same here. I'm leaning towards NWN2 though. Evilore's little info-jot on the game did enough convincing.

NWN2 is tempting, but I've owned the first game forever and never finished it, and I have all the Icewind Dale games on my backlog, so I'm not really at a loss for D&D-based games.

I actually owned Sacred 2 for PS3 and enjoyed it, but traded it in since the performance was pretty horrendous on the PS3. It's a good game for just picking it up and playing it a bit. I'm mainly worried about what someone said earlier with it having issues with Win7.

Acidote

Htown said:

"Extremely humongously long" endless. Although it's very manageable if you stick to the main campaign.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
caliblue15 said:
heard good things about witcher, but at $10 i think my backlog is too great.
In my opinion, you should really reconsider. It's got a rocky start, there's no argument; but it otherwise is a truly great title. I don't know if your backlog can keep up with it, but I'm gonna assume it can't if you're into action-oriented RPGs with engaging character interaction, senseful progression, mechanical depth that is beyond the reach of a single playthrough and a dark setting with an everpresent sarcastic undertone.

It is a lovely game. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will enjoy it again somewhen.

Huggy

BioHazard said:
What de fook. I swear I used to have Sacred 2, now I don't? It's not in my list and doesn't say I have it when I view it in the store. I bought it like a LONG time ago, like when it was first released.

I went online to purchase it, but Steam says the game is not available in my region.
Heh, would be hilarious if they took your purchase away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom