• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Lime said:
My mother just gifted me:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
DOW2: Retribution
Shogun 2: Total War

Really amazing. And my birthday is only on Tuesday! Rebecca Black really knew what she was singing about.

One of the greatest moms. Though my mom is not very intelligent about technological stuff outside of the basics, so she barely understands Steam as it is!

TheExodu5

Banned
Lime said:

Really amazing. And my birthday is only on Tuesday! Rebecca Black really knew what she was singing about.

Your mom is awesome.

Stallion Free said:
I had a pretty good time playing MNC last night. I feel bad for picking it up on release and playing for about 30 minutes and then kinda ditching it before learning the mechanics.
Play again later tonight? Had fun with you Sanjay, tre and the others.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Inquisitor said:
Play again later tonight? Had fun with you Sanjay, tre and the others.
Yeah it was good times and we prolly will be. We all hop in Mumble for voice chat if you want to join us there: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I ask here since no one's bothered to answer in the other threads but how is the DRM on the EA store? They have Crysis Warhead for 10.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LiquidMetal14 said:
I ask here since no one's bothered to answer in the other threads but how is the DRM on the EA store? They have Crysis Warhead for 10.
I think it is the same as the standard Warhead DRM.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MNC is kind of pissing me off. I search servers by players, get into something that is like 3/4 or 10/12. And it turns out to either be empty or one player.

Volcynika

shintoki said:
MNC is kind of pissing me off. I search servers by players, get into something that is like 3/4 or 10/12. And it turns out to either be empty or one player.

May be falling prey to what a lot of people didn't know (I don't think they've changed it). 3/4 means there are 3 slots available out of a total of four players. Rather than the amount of players on the server, the browser lists how many spots are open.

TimmiT

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more games until next month.
Bought Dogfighter, Monday Night Combat and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath this week.

IceMarker

Volcynika said:
May be falling prey to what a lot of people didn't know (I don't think they've changed it). 3/4 means there are 3 slots available out of a total of four players. Rather than the amount of players on the server, the browser lists how many spots are open.
Happened to me as well, totally confusing but then you realize how many servers are actually near full. I repeat, 1-12 means there is 1 slot open left. (AKA 11 players currently on the server.)

Also, Free Weekenders are so easy to kill, this makes my Level 40/3 Star heart happy <3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LiquidMetal14 said:
Install limits or machine limits? Don't matter to me as much but I don't want to get banned either and lose my games lol
I think it is a Machine Limit, where you can deactivate old activations.

Jinaar

Purchased Darksiders last night. Already played it on the XBO 360 and finished it before they patched the screen tearing, so it will be great to play it again in full PC glory.

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
What the hell is wrong with 1C? IL2: Cliffs of Dovers will use Stoneshield with 3 activations as DRM and everything else from multiplayer to achievements will be using Steam. They should just use Steam as DRM...
Asinine stuff like this can usually be blamed on idiot shareholders.

Tarin02543

MNC doesn't work, the patching fails and the whole things does not want to execute.

2 GB wasted on what was supposed to be a free game for the weekends.

plc268

crimsonheadGCN said:
What the hell is wrong with 1C? IL2: Cliffs of Dovers will use Stoneshield with 3 activations as DRM and everything else from multiplayer to achievements will be using Steam. They should just use Steam as DRM...

http://il-2-sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dovers/blog/uk/?p=1162

At least it's not as asinine as Wings of Prey which offers something like 3 activations...and you don't get any back at all unless you email some dude from russia. God I felt stupid for paying $25 for that.

Wings of Prey is the PC version of IL-2 Birds of Prey from the consoles, but I don't think it's affiliated with the IL-2 team at all, as far as I know.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Drkirby said:
I think it is a Machine Limit, where you can deactivate old activations.
Ok thanks, I just bought it like 15 minutes ago but man I hate breaking up all my DD purchases. I've only bought from 3 places thus far (Steam, EA, and GG).

Doopliss said:
I've been playing Darksiders in just the last week or so and I really like it. The first couple of hours are a bit combat heavy (at a time when you have a limited range of moves and abilities, and feel kind of weak), but after that it finds a good balance between the fighting and the puzzles and platforming, and dishes out new gameplay mechanics frequently to keep it fresh. I wish there were more games like this on PC.

I have to give this another whirl. I played for 2 hours or so and thought it was really boring. just big open spaces with enemies milling around and I would run up to them and mash X or whatever a bunch of times.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
plc268 said:
Wings of Prey is the PC version of IL-2 Birds of Prey from the consoles, but I don't think it's affiliated with the IL-2 team at all, as far as I know.
Well, looks like Wings of Prey's DRM was removed just ten minutes ago. Timely!

Nabs

Lyphen said:
lol wow

Wings of Prey Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Wings of Prey have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Full EFIGS voiceovers
- Fixes some multiplayer bugs
- Removes DRM

plc268

Lyphen said:

Woah, holy crap that's awesome. I might finally reinstall it again.

I had two activations left, but I left uninstalled because I didn't want to activate it unnecessarily.

nyong

Banned
One thing worth warning people about with Darksiders:

The only graphics options you can change are resolution and v-sync. That's it. No low, medium, or high settings. No turning off/on AA. It looks and runs great on my PC, but I'd probably make sure you meet the recommended system requirements before making a purchase. There's nothing you can fiddle with to make it run better.

Nabs said:
lol wow

Product Update - Valve
Updates to Wings of Prey have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Full EFIGS voiceovers
- Removes DRM

LOL. They remove the DRM AFTER the 50% sale? Dumbasses.

Lime said:

You have an awesome mom. So she has a Steam acc and actually gifted them to you or did she just pay for them...

spicy cho

Nabs said:
lol wow

Product Update - Valve

- Full EFIGS voiceovers
- Removes DRM
AMAZING. I feel partially redeemed after having blown $50 on it at launch.

Played about two hours of Revenge of the Titans for the first time after I bought the humble bundle now that its on steam. Its really well made and super fun.

The only thing I don't understand is the economy portion. It never seems like I'm getting more money by building more refineries and those little add ons. I also never know when to build them. I always build all the economy stuff first but one time when I lost (halfway through mars started to get a tad tough) one of the hints said I should build defenses first before building refineries, so I got confused.

I'm excited to play some MNC this weekend!

coopolon

Any recommendations for okay cheap joysticks? I bought the original Il2 ages ago in a sale and have never gotten around to playing it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nabs said:
lol wow

Product Update - Valve

- Full EFIGS voiceovers
- Removes DRM

Yey! When I read that my first thought "that means I can finally buy the game", until I looked at my account and realised I had already done so.

You know when you have too many games when you literally cannot remember buying a game. I think I bought it in the Christmas sale, but didn't install it because of the DRM, ah well I can install it safely now.

K701

Banned
Came into a nasty bug today... I'll just copy and paste what I wrote to STEAM support.

Hello. This is more like a bug report than a question. When I take a photo using the F12 steam feature and if I'm currently using eyefinity 3 or 6 (the photo saved is a very large resolution 3 or 6 times 1080p); when I quit the game and select the game from the list, steam will try to load the photo I took to use as the game page's background. But it will fail & crash. This didn't happen when the F12 picture feature was in beta.

Veal

So I just bought Darksiders and I can't get the cursor to stop shifting up. When in game, the camera just keeps looking up and none of the buttons on the X360 controller work. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there any hope of playing this game?

markot

Banned
>_<

Wtf?

Wings of Dover uses Steamcloud and crap, and it stillllllllll had stupid extra DRM that is completely and udderly useless on steam?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Veal said:
So I just bought Darksiders and I can't get the cursor to stop shifting up. When in game, the camera just keeps looking up and none of the buttons on the X360 controller work. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there any hope of playing this game?
I had the same problem and a reinstall of the newest .net Framework fixed it for me, if I remember correctly.

edit: No, it was Visual C++, not .net :)

1-D_FTW

Glad to see they removed the DRM. Picked it up for cheap during Christmas, but figured I'd have one of my installs burned before I actually seriously played it.

Stop It said:
Yey! When I read that my first thought "that means I can finally buy the game", until I looked at my account and realised I had already done so.

You know when you have too many games when you literally cannot remember buying a game. I think I bought it in the Christmas sale, but didn't install it because of the DRM, ah well I can install it safely now.

lol

I got panicked this evening when I saw an e-mail from Valve congratulating me on my purchase. Thought somebody hacked my account. Forgot I bought Darksiders this morning.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Mr Sandman said:
Mine did this when I had a steering wheel peripheral plugged in. Do you have any other joysticks plugged in? If all else fails, you could just use the M&KB controls. I have a wired 360 controller, but find the mouse faster to snap around to different targets (much like Batman).
Yeah, mine did this as well (I exclusively had a flightstick plugged in and the cam spinned horizontally; the game thought that was a 360 controller, which is amusing in and of itself).
When I yanked the USB flightstick out, the game froze, along with the OS. So be aware that that might happen to you as well; quit the game before yanking out controllers, just to be sure!

iavi

Does anybody know if I'll be able to purchase a PS3 copy of Portal 2 and play the co-op campaign with the bonus Steamplay copy? I'm trying to decide with one to go for, and ask this here because I don't want to bump an old Portal2 thread with no new information.

markot

Banned
Miri said:
Does anybody know if I'll be able to purchase a PS3 copy of Portal 2 and play the co-op campaign with the bonus Steamplay copy? I'm trying to decide with one to go for, and ask this here because I don't want to bump an old Portal2 thread with no new information.
Yea, the ps3 version comes with a full pc version

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
is up for pre purchase. Get a free copy of Silent Hunter 3 to give to a friend if you have it.

* Fight the Wars of History – England, 1940; Germany is waging a massive air campaign for the absolute supremacy of the skies. Join the battle to save Britain.
* Over 25 Aircrafts – English, German & Italian aircraft including the Spitfire, The Hurricane, and the Messerschmitt Bf-109. Every detail faithfully recreated.
* Enormous Environments – Fly through the cities and towns of London, southern and northern England, northern France, southern Belgium and more.
* Incredible Damage Model – Every single aircraft component can be damaged for incredibly realistic and satisfying results.
* Massive Multiplayer – Customizable modes allow for up to 128 players in huge ongoing battles or hop in deathmatch-style free-for-alls.

* New Groundbreaking 3D Engine – Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and environments.

Wow at the bold.

iavi

markot said:
Yea, the ps3 version comes with a full pc version

Oh, I know that, but I'm thinking that it's tied to your steam account. I guess I should clarify, Could me and another person be on the same Steam account--one on the ps3, one on the pc/mac-- and still play co-op?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom