• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
caliblue15 said:
yes there is, cause it will only get cheaper.

Sure if you don't have time to play it, it will get cheaper, but not for years I think.

Old games like Thief, Morrowind, etc. are still $20 bucks on Steam and I'd put money down that The Witcher won't drop below $10 as a base price (not on some sale) for a long long long time.

If you don't have the time though, thats another issue.

LovingSteam said:
Red Faction on pre purchase for $49.50. Get a free copy of RF:Guerilla to keep or give away.
Hoard on pre purchase for $7.99 instead of normal price of $9.99

Nice to see Red Faction being a steamworks release considering how GFWL completely ruined the last one.

Nelo Ice

Banned
EviLore said:
Party based wrpg, real-time with pause like the infinity engine games.

Original campaign has quite a different feel between each of its three acts. Act 1 is very linear and dull. Act 2 focuses on a very interesting stronghold system where you manage and upgrade your stronghold, recruit people, etc. Makes playing the game worthwhile, I think, if you can survive Act 1. Act 3 is kinda like DA:O, I guess, with more of a story emphasis and a few set-piece locations.

The first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is basically the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Arguably the best game Obsidian has made. Great storytelling and emphasis on choice:consequence.

The second expansion, Storm of Zehir, is a very experimental game focusing on a JRPG-style overworld, full party creation and crafting, and managing a trade empire. It's not entirely successful but it's very creative.

thanks for me making me buy NWN2! >< had no interest in it until i read ur post gah

Burger

Anyone know if I can somehow use my retail PC DVD of Civ5 to install the game to my Mac? I don't want to have to download the 7gigs or whatever it is...

MacAttack

Is there any resource online that shows what the lowest price a game has been priced on Steam?

When is the next big steam sale? Is it usually just the Summer sale around the Fourth of July and the Winter sale around Christmas?

Im tempted to get the Witcher but dont think Ill have time to play it anytime soon and I think its going to be one of those games that just keeps popping up on Steam at heavy discount.

Traced-Velocity said:
Care to elaborate on said problems?

Just look through the Steam forum for the game or do a Google search for "Sacred 2 on Windows 7." Officially, by the developers, the game isn't supported but some people have gotten it to work but not without other issues.

vocab

It might be $5 in the summer sale, but I wouldn't count on it. I honestly waited a full year to grab it at $5. I think this game is worth more than $5. $10 is fine, and honestly $5 more isn't the end of the world. I'm all for cheap as shit games, but the difference between $20 and $40 is pretty big compared to $5 and $10. O well. I'm not judging anyone. I still am waiting for $5 Vampire Masquerade bloodlines.

Javaman

jaundicejuice said:
If you don't own The Witcher, now you have no excuse. Buy it, it's an awesome rpg. It's probably one of the most nuanced games in recent years when it comes to choice and consequences. I've never agonized over the choices an rpg has presented me with until I played the Witcher. You'll make what you think is the best choice you can at the time and the consequences will end up being horrendous. Or what you think is an inconsequential choice in the grand scheme of things will come back to change the story in a surprising way.

Use and abuse the alchemy system. If you have Swallow potions to keep up your health, no fight should be too hard.

Damnit, I hate that. I hate making choices that I may later regret. It paralyzes me in games and at a young age caused me to cheat all the time in choose your own adventure books.

Weenerz

Banned
Red Faction Armageddon pre-orders get a giftable copy of Red Faction Guerrilla, neat. The Giant Bomb quick look sold me on Armageddon, if you haven't watched it, go take a look.

vocab said:
It might be $5 in the summer sale, but I wouldn't count on it. I honestly waited a full year to grab it at $5. I think this game is worth more than $5. $10 is fine, and honestly $5 more isn't the end of the world. I'm all for cheap as shit games, but the difference between $20 and $40 is pretty big compared to $5 and $10. O well. I'm not judging anyone. I still am waiting for $5 Vampire Masquerade bloodlines.
The only way to get Vampire Masquerade bloodlines on sale is to drive a wooden stake through the heart of Bobby Kotick.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Javaman said:
Damnit, I hate that. I hate making choices that I may later regret. It paralyzes me in games and at a young age caused me to cheat all the time in choose your own adventure books.
It's a video game. Sorry to spoil it for you, but whatever you decide, in the end, it'll all work out, ride into sunset, roll credits etc. Not like with the Lone Wolf series and similar, where you open a door and die, shit like that is pretty much dead, and has been dead for like 15 years or so.

Some NPCs have a different fate when you do this-and-that differently, you have different XP, different paths to solving quest XY, some different things to say to dudes, but it's all cool looking back no matter what. So enjoy the ride.

I never understood the min-maxing, gotta-see-it-all, loot-hoarding crowd that's operating under the assumption that each decision has to be carefully considered and reconsidered. Just fuckin.. play the game. Especially the first time around.

That's me.

Well, I _guess_ you can sorta go wrong with some things, and the game kicks your ass if you do, but I didn't say "act like an idiot" up there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Player said:
Ya just've killed PC gaming.
F7Arg.gif

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
Why? Because I wanted more content for a game that I have clearly gotten more than 60$ worth out of? Because I will easily get 15$ worth out of these maps?

No one doubts that you'll get a fair amount of playtime from the maps, it's a matter of principle.

Not judging you though, i see how one might not think that if he doesnt buy the map he's "fixing" the issue since they still sell like hotcakes, but its probably what's going through everybody's minds. Hence, the maps get sold quickly and other devs take note and start pulling the same shit.

Zimbardo

while i wish Activision would go back to the free maps (or sponsored maps) like they used to provide, i'm just glad they are offering PC users the same as what is on consoles (albeit a month or so later).

i'd be more pissed if we weren't getting any DLC at all.

Fredescu

Stallion Free said:
Why? Because I wanted more content for a game that I have clearly gotten more than 60$ worth out of? Because I will easily get 15$ worth out of these maps?
Deriving enjoyment from Call of Duty is a hive mind violation. Your "adjustment" sessions have been scheduled. Attendance is mandatory.

Typical selfish fucking stallion... how dare he trades currency in exchange for goods and services he deems worthwhile while others disagree with his judgement!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zimbardo said:
while i wish Activision would go back to the free maps (or sponsored maps) like they used to provide, i'm just glad they are offering PC users the same as what is on consoles (albeit a month or so later).

i'd be more pissed if we weren't getting any DLC at all.
With World of War, I am pretty sure the maps were straight up free on the PC.

MacAttack

If you bought CoD BlOps, standing on principle and not buying the map packs is a joke. At this point, everyone knows what Call of Duty is and the paid DLC was no shocker. If you bought the game its highly probable you were getting the map pack(s). In for a penny, in for a pound.

Sorry PC GAF, dont shoot the messenger but there aint no getting this horse (or Pony as is the current GAF trend) back in the barn.

As someone who has played the new CoD maps for a while now they are fucking awesome and if you play the game a lot, totally worth the extra scratch.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Drkirby said:
With World of War, I am pretty sure the maps were straight up free on the PC.
They were sponsored by Intel/maybe some others so their logos were on the loading screens. I believe Nvidia sponsored MW1's maps.

Fredescu said:
Deriving enjoyment from Call of Duty is a hive mind violation. Your "adjustment" sessions have been scheduled. Attendance is mandatory.
I guess I'm long overdue because I have been buying Call of Duty stuff day 1 since COD1.

Deadstar

caliblue15 said:
heard good things about witcher, but at $10 i think my backlog is too great.

The Witcher is god's gift to man. The only reason I'd suggest not buying it is to see if it goes on sale for $5. It's such an amazing game.

plc268

MacAttack said:
If you bought CoD BlOps, standing on principle and not buying the map packs is a joke. At this point, everyone knows what Call of Duty is and the paid DLC was no shocker.

No it's not a shocker, but a lot of people, including me, were hoping for the same deal as COD4 and CODWaW... sponsored maps. I figured since Blops went back to dedicated servers, that they wouldn't charge for the map packs.

I dunno, I oppose map packs because they fracture the userbase. When all the map packs were sponsored for COD WaW, everyone had the chance to play the maps, and thus they were put into the rotation for everybody. You force people to pay for them, then you'll see a limited amount of action on those maps.

I think EA/Dice learned their lesson with BF2. Their map packs were fucking barren, and no one played them, that is until they were set free in a patch. There's other ways to monetize an ongoing FPS... selling map packs isn't a very efficient way of doing so.

MacAttack

So it wasnt clear on Day One that they were going to charge for map packs?

Im curious what the attach rate is on this map pack will be. I dont think you have to worry about people not buying these maps. These are without a doubt some of the best maps in Black Ops mp.

I dont disagree that they are forcing people to buy these maps. I think that people should have been aware this was a built in cost for this game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stallion Free said:

Justify it however you like you awful awful man.

Makoto

MacAttack said:
So it wasnt clear on Day One that they were going to charge for map packs?

Nope, that was pretty clear as soon as IWnet was introduced, but I'm not buying the map packs on the principle that I've seen the value of them. I bought the BF Booster Packs and like it was said earlier, shit got barren. I won't criticize anyone (too much) over buying the BO map packs because at least there will be a few servers running them, probably exclusively. Buying them for MW2 PC however was a joke and the proof is in the Steam player numbers for it. 5,870 currently playing MW2 as I'm typing this, all spread out across 10+ playlists AND 2 map packs.

Blizzard

Banned
My theory on map packs is that some people pay money for them, and the publishers and developers like money, so they charge money. And since people pay money the publishers keep charging money. It's like, a money cycle, man.

A slightly less facetious comment could be "COD is enormously successful and sells many games and map packs", ergo they will probably continue what they've been doing until it shows signs of not working.

Exuro

vidal said:
Buying them for MW2 PC however was a joke and the proof is in the Steam player numbers for it. 5,870 currently playing MW2 as I'm typing this, all spread out across 10+ playlists AND 2 map packs.
No offense but that's pretty terrible data. At this time all Steam games are at their lowest in player count. MW2 today had the third highest player peak behind both counterstrike titles and in front of BLOPS. Don't see how this is proof of anything.

Makoto

Exuro said:
No offense but that's pretty terrible data. At this time all Steam games are at their lowest in player count. MW2 today had the third highest player peak behind both counterstrike titles and in front of BLOPS. Don't see how this is proof of anything.

MW2's peak number is 40,000 which is not even indicative of the typical player count if you live in North America, it usually hovers around 10,000 for North America's peak hours. That's still a dismal number (the 40,000) when again, players are spread out across 10+ playlists and 2 map packs. Do you honestly think if someone bought MW2 PC today, with at least one of the map packs, they'd get their money's worth? We're talking playlists that have double-digit player counts and a few that are just completely empty.

G-Fex

fuck man I'm heartbroken. I finally can get the wticher and I look and the specs man I can't run it. it says radeon 9800 or better and all I got is a 4650 HD card. Fuck all fuck all. I could've spent the money on a graphcics card but I din't. Now I feel like an idiot.

Man I'm down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom