• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
G-Fex said:
fuck man I'm heartbroken. I finally can get the wticher and I look and the specs man I can't run it. it says radeon 9800 or better and all I got is a 4650 HD card. Fuck all fuck all. I could've spent the money on a graphcics card but I din't. Now I feel like an idiot.

Man I'm down :(
jk?

Goon Boon

Banned
G-Fex said:
fuck man I'm heartbroken. I finally can get the wticher and I look and the specs man I can't run it. it says radeon 9800 or better and all I got is a 4650 HD card. Fuck all fuck all. I could've spent the money on a graphcics card but I din't. Now I feel like an idiot.

I'm gonna bite and tell you that video card numbers are pretty worthless, a 4650 is way better than a 9800, and more than adequate for the witcher.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
G-Fex said:

You're probably trolling but I'll bite. A 4650 is *significantly* more powerful then a 9800. 9800's were new when Half Life 2 launched 7 years ago.

G-Fex

ok now i feel like an idiot.

YES I CAN GET THE WITCHER! TY TY GAF!

edit: still need a better graphics card, I can run crysis but not gta4 or saints row 2 properly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sinatar said:
You're probably trolling but I'll bite. A 4650 is *significantly* more powerful then a 9800. 9800's were new when Half Life 2 launched 7 years ago.
That's probably why NVidia skipped the 9xxx.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
SapientWolf said:
That's probably why NVidia skipped the 9xxx.
my 9800gt says otherwise

speaking of which, that card has brought me through a lot of games, but with Battlefield 3 coming up, it may be time to retire the old girl.

Htown said:
my 9800gt says otherwise

speaking of which, that card has brought me through a lot of games, but with Battlefield 3 coming up, it may be time to retire the old girl.
That card is just a renamed 8800GT though.

G-Fex said:

edit: still need a better graphics card, I can run crysis but not gta4 or saints row 2 properly.
You most likely need a new CPU for those two games. They pretty much require a quad core to run properly.

Stallion Free said:
Why? Because I wanted more content for a game that I have clearly gotten more than 60$ worth out of? Because I will easily get 15$ worth out of these maps?

First off, I obviously believe you have the right to spend money on what you want.

But this situation isn't as simple as 'Yay more content for a game I like'. What has happened is that they have removed the ability for the community to create maps and make your game better for free. With that avenue gone, they can charge money for maps since they're the only source.

So while you can of course spend money on what you want, I don't think you should spend money on this because it involves them screwing you in the first place. You would be better off if they had simply allowed created maps.

MRORANGE

PedroLumpy said:
What has happened is that they have removed the ability for the community to create maps and make your game better for free. With that avenue gone, they can charge money for maps since they're the only source

Silly question to all, but if developers charged extra to have a map editor for a game (like DLC) would you pay for it or not?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
G-Fex said:

haha good luck with that.

Time to preorder portal 2, I was waiting for a hat or something oh well...

Des0lar

will learn eventually
G-Fex said:

GTA4 and Saints Row 2 don't run properly because their ports are shit and very CPU and not GPU dependant

bigace33

G-Fex said:

If I can run the Witcher, you can run the witcher. I run it just fine on a ATI radeon 5450!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
theBishop said:
Has Valve actually shown anything on Big Picture Mode? I thought we were going to see it in action at GDC.
I really want this to happen soon, it is gonna look so nice on my HTPC.

Des0lar said:
GTA4 and Saints Row 2 don't run properly because their ports are shit and very CPU and not GPU dependant

How bad is it exactly? I have an i7 @ 3.07ghz. I heard you need a quad core to run it properly but never knew how fast it needed to be. I just ordered SR2 from amazon for $6 so that's why I'm asking.

Javaman

Des0lar said:
That's true up to a point... I'm running an x4 2.8 and those were unplayable with my 9800gt, but perfectly playable with a 460gt with the same cpu

theBishop

Banned
poppabk said:
I really want this to happen soon, it is gonna look so nice on my HTPC.

Yeah, if a pc game works well with a gamepad, I love playing it on my htpc. I'm actually enjoying Splinter Cell Conviction, which I didn't expect.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
G-Fex said:

just an FYI i found the witcher chugs with AA on ATI video cards so try making sure AA is turned off and it should be fine.

graywolf323

so if I read the Crysis 2 product page right I can still get all the pre-purchase goodies if I cave and buy it within the next four days?

Crysis 2 Steam product page said:
PRE-PURCHASE OFFER RESTRICTION

OFFER EXPIRES MARCH 26TH.

Volcynika

ClosingADoor said:
Mid-week Madness deal: 75% off Batman Arkham Asylum.

Seems the banner went up too early, since the price isn't updated yet.

Maybe tons of people complained about missing it on SE week recently. :p

I wish all games supported Pre-loading. Or I wish Steam unlocked them at midnight. Back to sitting on my hands while I wait for Assassins Creed Brotherhood to let me in...

EDIT: Oh hey it's up. Yay.

Now We're Talking! Steam Voice with SILK

Steam's voice chat system now leverages the SILK audio codec, developed and used by Skype, makers of the world's most popular voice communication service. The SILK codec provides a significant quality improvement over Steam's previous voice technology, at the cost of some increase in bandwidth usage. Steam Voice used to require 15 kbps of bandwidth, whereas SILK is a dynamic bit rate protocol which varies in its use of bandwidth between 8 and 30 kbps, depending on the range of data in the voice signal and current network conditions.

As of today's Steam client update, voice chat using SILK is available to all users of Steam. To start using Steam chat with SILK, simply click the 'Start Voice Chat' button within a friend or group chat on Steam. You can access chat from both the friends list at the desktop, or while in game using Steam’s in-game overlay. You'll find voice chat connectivity and reliability have also been improved with this release.

Steam chat with SILK is now also automatically available for all games that take advantage of the Steamworks Voice API. Valve's own Portal 2, set to release in mid-April, uses this newly updated system to enable voice chat in its cooperative gameplay mode.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5100/

stuminus3

Does AssBro have any third party DRM? I would assume so being a Ubisoft game but I don't see anything mentioned on the store page.

Yasae

Banned
Javaman said:
That's true up to a point... I'm running an x4 2.8 and those were unplayable with my 9800gt, but perfectly playable with a 460gt with the same cpu
Alternatively, I also upgraded to a 460 (kept the CPU) and it ran exactly the same, i.e. an unplayable mess.

The port has chaotic stability. Maybe it'll run, maybe it won't. You won't know until you try. Whatever that's worth to you is the same as the price of Saints Row 2.

stuminus3 said:
Does AssBro have any third party DRM? I would assume so being a Ubisoft game but I don't see anything mentioned on the store page.

The Ubisoft DRM has been downgraded to only an activation upon install I believe.

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
The Ubisoft DRM has been downgraded to only an activation upon install I believe.
If that's true, I'd consider buying their stuff. I'm under the impression that it still dials home every time you launch the game, however.

Yasae

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Hmm... I think I updated AC2 and Splinter Cell Conviction not too long ago, like February... That didn't get rid of the online requirement at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

graywolf323

epmode said:
If that's true, I'd consider buying their stuff. I'm under the impression that it still dials home every time you launch the game, however.

https://twitter.com/#!/UbiGabe/status/40451720500744192

just the initial activation during install

Assassin's Creed II I believe dials home every time you launch the game but no longer requires a constant connection

Yasae

Banned
graywolf323 said:
https://twitter.com/#!/UbiGabe/status/40451720500744192

just the initial activation during install

Assassin's Creed II I believe dials home every time you launch the game but no longer requires a constant connection
That's still pretty bad. If true: fucking liars.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah, I keep missing out on it's sales so might as well just snatch up Batman now. I played it on PS3 but it's worth having in my digital collection.

damn you Steam

MRORANGE

Batman has been on sale so many times now, I know it's a great game but I just don't want to buy another game which most likely I will never get round to playing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I feel like it has set the record for number of times on sale for a non-Valve game.

I'm still not getting it.

Salsa

MRORANGE said:
Batman has been on sale so many times now, I know it's a great game but I just don't want to buy another game which most likely I will never get round to playing.

Ive played through it 3 times but i im thinking about buying it again just to have it on Steam. I also know that if i do, im gonna play it again.

That's how good it is.

Only reason I have not bought Batman AA on steam is because I own it on dvd, so damn cheap for a digital copy though I am always tempted to double.

Yasae

Banned
Archie said:
Every Steamworks game requires a one time online authentication. I don't like it, but it is certainly tolerable.
Yeah but Steam doesn't dial home until a certain number of days have passed without online connectivity (it seems to be around 15 or 20.) So I can play all my games on Steam now, but nothing from Ubisoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom