• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Firebrand said:
I'd like to play it, but does it still have SecuRom DRM? Until they ditch that, no purchase.
Yes, it has a 4 activation limit, renewed monthly. I can live with that pretty easily.

I will agree that DRM on top of a Steam release is so fucking stupid, doesn't stop piracy in the least and serves only to appease idiot investors and middle-managers who don't know any better.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm sure it's to generate more potential sales, for Arkham City.

It's never too early, to build interest.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It's not like anybody wants The Last Remnant to go on sale again. Nope, no sir. Keep on repeating that Batman sale, SE.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Archie said:
It's not like anybody wants The Last Remnant to go on sale again. Nope, no sir. Keep on repeating that Batman sale, SE.
Some of us want Mini Ninjas.

Enk

makes good threads.
Still waiting for Risen, Gothic 4, or Divinity 2 to go on sale. I really wish now that I'd bit on Risen when they chopped the price back in December.

Minsc

Gold Member
Enk said:
Still waiting for Risen, Gothic 4, or Divinity 2 to go on sale. I really wish now that I'd bit on Risen when they chopped the price back in December.

How is it Divinity II: Ego Draconis is $50, and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (which includes Ego Draconis in it) is $40?

dLMN8R

vidal said:
MW2's peak number is 40,000 which is not even indicative of the typical player count if you live in North America, it usually hovers around 10,000 for North America's peak hours. That's still a dismal number (the 40,000) when again, players are spread out across 10+ playlists and 2 map packs. Do you honestly think if someone bought MW2 PC today, with at least one of the map packs, they'd get their money's worth? We're talking playlists that have double-digit player counts and a few that are just completely empty.
If 40,000 is "dismal" then no other PC shooter on earth is doing any better. You're massively under-stating the size of those numbers. 40,000 is more than double what Team Fortress 2 gets these days, and only Counter-Strike regularly beats that number.

These numbers are concurrent, not over a 24-hour period. Total # unique players in a given day are at least 10x higher than those concurrent numbers.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is the Gothic bundle worth picking up? I've never played the games and I don't really know much about them. What are they like?

I'm trying to pay more attention to PC Gaming.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
G-Fex said:
ok now i feel like an idiot.

YES I CAN GET THE WITCHER! TY TY GAF!

edit: still need a better graphics card, I can run crysis but not gta4 or saints row 2 properly.
GTA4 is CPU heavy and sort of a shitty port, Saints Row 2 is an incredibly shitty port.

Minsc

Gold Member
shintoki said:
Odd question. I've heard a lot of meh over Gothic 3 and 4, is 2 still the best one to pick up?

If you don't mind the dated graphics and controls (which you will adapt to after 3 or 4 hours anyway), Gothic 2 w/ the Night of the Raven expansion is essentially the forever-king of all the open world, get-your-ass-handed-to-you RPGs, much like Baldur's Gate 2 holds the title for best/biggest cRPG from its era onward indefinitely.

Easy_D said:
GTA4 is CPU heavy and sort of a shitty port, Saints Row 2 is an incredibly shitty port.

I asked earlier but didn't see a reply, but will I be able to run SR2 ok with an i7 3.07ghz? I guess worst case scenario I could not run it at max but I can't fathom that I wouldn't be able to get it running good with that cpu.

Also how is gothic 4? I've heard it's kinda shitty and different from the other 3 but I never played any of them soooo...what's the problem with it?

graywolf323 said:
Assassin's Creed II I believe dials home every time you launch the game but no longer requires a constant connection
That is correct. I was locked out of the game for an entire day a few months ago because their authentication servers were down.

Ickman3400 said:
I asked earlier but didn't see a reply, but will I be able to run SR2 ok with an i7 3.07ghz? I guess worst case scenario I could not run it at max but I can't fathom that I wouldn't be able to get it running good with that cpu.

Also how is gothic 4? I've heard it's kinda shitty and different from the other 3 but I never played any of them soooo...what's the problem with it?

You could have a fuckin' super computer and you'll still get sub-10fps while driving and frequent lockups.

But on-foot you should be alright. Worst case, you might have to play with no shadows.

Gothic 4 is pure shit and has no redeeming qualities at all. Part 2 is good, while 3 is serviceable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shintoki said:
Odd question. I've heard a lot of meh over Gothic 3 and 4, is 2 still the best one to pick up?
I want to know this too, are the games fairly stand alone? I was thinking of picking up Gothic 2 for $2.50

I also may hold off for a few hours, in hopes of the Gothic Universe Edition (Gothic 1, 2, and base 3) gets to be 75% off too.

Wait, my wish may already be getting granted. From the steam boards.

ThomJWD said:
Metro said:
Really wish you guys would offer a discount on the Gothic Universe edition. No offense but I have zero interest in Arcania (especially with SecuRom) and would really like a bundle that includes Gothic 1 -- but I'm not buying the $20 pack to get it.
You will not have to, please just give me some minutes, already informed Valve to get this included. Of course all titles + bundles should be included in this promotion.

GDJustin

Drkirby said:
I want to know this too, are the games fairly stand alone? I was thinking of picking up Gothic 2 for $2.50

I also may hold off for a few hours, in hopes of the Gothic Universe Edition (Gothic 1, 2, and base 3) gets to be 75% off too.

Already done: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6375/

Edit: This is probably what I'm going to pick up. In the big package, Arcania is the bulk of the cost ($12.50) - seems a little much for a so-so game that I probably won't play for months. If I still want Gothic 4 after playing 1-3, it'll probably be $10 or less in the summer sale.

Minsc

Gold Member
Drkirby said:

Yea, they're pretty standalone. They all have pretty essential/required community patches, you can find links for the first and 2nd in the GOG thread. As easy as it is to say if you don't mind the older graphics, graphics do count for a bit though in open world RPGs, so if you haven't played Risen yet, that's the real sequel to Gothic 2, and Risen's getting the pirate expansion soon too, which looks fun.

Gothic's about immersion and difficulty, feeling like a brain dead fly that turns in to a laser shooting T-Rex.

LocoMrPollock said:
You could have a fuckin' super computer and you'll still get sub-10fps while driving and frequent lockups.

But on-foot you should be alright. Worst case, you might have to play with no shadows.

Gothic 4 is pure shit and has no redeeming qualities at all. Part 2 is good, while 3 is serviceable.

:eek: That doesn't sound good at all, guess I'll have to toy with some settings. That's pretty goddamned embarrassing though on their part.

I'll probably buy Gothic 3 at least, maybe both 2 and 3 since they're cheap. Thanks

ClosingADoor said:
So Gothic 2 is a good game? Would you recommend it to someone who is a huge Morrowind fan or is it nothing like that?

Definitely in the same category, although Gothic's a bit darker as well as a bit more difficult.

GDJustin

I just nabbed the Gothic 1-3 bundle (protip: it includes 1 for free, so if you're thinking about buying 2 & 3, might as well get this bundle instead).

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6375/

Anyone have links to the fan patches and whatnot? Also, I'm new-ish to steam PC gaming. Anything I need to know about patching steam versions of games?

iavi

Batman is forever going on sale, lol damn. Anybody who hasn't picked that game up by now needs to hang their steam accounts up. I did a little write-up over in the march game-completion thread, but it's ended up as one of my favorite games of all time.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Steam and GOG.com is continually making sure I will never run out of games to play. I know I won't be able to play Batman for a long time yet, but I have been waiting for it to go on sale despite that fact. So, er, bought.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Minsc said:
Yea, they're pretty standalone. They all have pretty essential/required community patches, you can find links for the first and 2nd in the GOG thread. As easy as it is to say if you don't mind the older graphics, graphics do count for a bit though in open world RPGs, so if you haven't played Risen yet, that's the real sequel to Gothic 2, and Risen's getting the pirate expansion soon too, which looks fun.

Gothic's about immersion and difficulty, feeling like a brain dead fly that turns in to a laser shooting T-Rex.
So it may be better to just get 2 complete, and ignore 3/4? I don't mind dated graphics so much, in many cases prefer. Since I don't have to worry about performance then.

Maybe to rephrase the top one too. How good is Gothic 3? Since it's only about 3.50 more for both?

I'm also going pick up Risen one day too. I just need to clean a few games off first. Only reason I'm thinking of getting 2 now is that I can't really get it cheap. Goozex is about 3$ per title, and 75% off is where most of them stop. It's a good price heh.

stuminus3

Thanks for the responses re: AssBro DRM.

Sweet, the Gothic III expansion is available at last! Actually I wish I didn't already own every other Gothic game because that's an amazing price for the whole bundle.

EDIT: Holy shit JoWood actually did something good!

EDIT2:
shintoki said:
Maybe to rephrase the top one too. How good is Gothic 3? Since it's only about 3.50 more for both?
Gothic III was a shambling pile of bugs on release. Through some patching (official and community) it's much better now. Still not nearly as polished as Risen, but definitely worth your extra $3.50.

Minsc

Gold Member
shintoki said:
So it may be better to just get 2 complete, and ignore 3/4? I don't mind dated graphics so much, in many cases prefer. Since I don't have to worry about performance then.

I'm also going pick up Risen one day too. I just need to clean a few games off first. Only reason I'm thinking of getting 2 now is that I can't really get it cheap. Goozex is about 3$ per title, and 75% off is where most of them stop. It's a good price heh.

Gothic 3 is said to be quite good with the newest community patch (it was a complete mess at release, and the expansion made it worse iirc), I think they're quite big (like 1GB+) too. I've never seen anyone put it over 2 who's played both though.

Risen obviously is the nicest looking of the bunch - I've been playing that recently myself and it feels right at home (if not a little too much at home). I really haven't read a lot whole about Gothic 4 either way, which to me is a bad thing, so I've kinda dismissed it.

I'd recommend the mods here for Gothic 1 + 2. Gothic 3 community patch 1.74 is here. Not sure what the deal with Gothic 4 is.

Sanjay said:
I always knew Skype was good but had no idea it was the world's best voice communication program.

It's a shame that Steam doesn't seem to have the advanced filtering that Skype has to make sure that users don't hear their voices echoing through their buddy's speakers.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Minsc said:
Gothic 3 is said to be quite good with the newest community patch (it was a complete mess at release, and the expansion made it worse iirc), I think they're quite big (like 1GB+) too. I've never seen anyone put it over 2 who's played both though.

Risen obviously is the nicest looking of the bunch - I've been playing that recently myself and it feels right at home (if not a little too much at home). I really haven't read a lot whole about Gothic 4 either way, which to me is a bad thing, so I've kinda dismissed it.

I'd recommend the mods here for Gothic 1 + 2. Gothic 3 community patch 1.74 is here. Not sure what the deal with Gothic 4 is.
Thanks, I think I'll just stick with picking up 2 then. And waiting on Risen 1/2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What extra content (if any) is included with the GOTY version of Batmen: AA? Is it the DLC challenge packs?

Too bad the Joker missions never went mutiplat, they were a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
any american want to go in with me on the portal 2 pack? I can paypal you monies!

-a reliable European.

I also wouldn't be requiring portal as I have it already so you'd have an extra gift! (if interested PM me)

Salsa

1RENo.png

the fuck i just did i already own a physical copy of this on PC

Khaaaan.jpg

STEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom