• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman: AA is amazing. Picked it up on the SE week, and recently played and finished it. It's an awesome game and Poison Ivy has a gorgeous ass.

dLMN8R

Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the extremely few games I've purchased at full-price in the last couple of years, on any platform. Worth every single penny.

MRORANGE said:
Silly question to all, but if developers charged extra to have a map editor for a game (like DLC) would you pay for it or not?

I think most would say no, as most people don't create maps. However a more interesting question might be if this map editor, along with allowing you to create maps, was required to play user created maps as well. More people might say yes, but you would be splitting the community as well.

AcridMeat

Banned
catfish said:
any american want to go in with me on the portal 2 pack? I can paypal you monies!

-a reliable European.

I also wouldn't be requiring portal as I have it already so you'd have an extra gift! (if interested PM me)

Damn I wish I saw your post before I agreed to that jerk SalsaShark.
:p

Haeleos

fawaz said:
what i was asking is if it is better with a controller. because i never played an adventure game on pc before.

It is so much better with a controller. You'll thank me if you start getting into the challenge mode.

Nabs

fawaz said:
what i was asking is if it is better with a controller. because i never played an adventure game on pc before.
It plays fine (I prefer the 360 pad). I recommend trying out the demo if you're on the fence.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
is gothic 3 any good? and whats the difference between fosaken gods and standard gothic 3??

Gothic 3 is okay if you get the latest user patch, but it's still pretty janky and runs worse than it should. I enjoyed it, though.

All I've heard about the Forsaken Gods expansion is that it was outsourced to some Indian studio and was released as a terrible buggy mess. I don't know if it ever got fixed up, but it's probably best if you avoid it for now.

vixlar

Come on!

Batman at $7.50!!!!!

It is a tempation to me. Even as I have the 360 version and I don't have a PC capable of runnning it.

If you don't have it, and want a great game... BUY IT!!!!

Snuggler said:
What extra content (if any) is included with the GOTY version of Batmen: AA? Is it the DLC challenge packs?

Too bad the Joker missions never went mutiplat, they were a lot of fun.

I'd love an answer to this too. I've beat the game on 360 twice already but I might pick it up if the extra content is worth it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zefah said:
Gothic 3 is okay if you get the latest user patch, but it's still pretty janky and runs worse than it should. I enjoyed it, though.

All I've heard about the Forsaken Gods expansion is that it was outsourced to some Indian studio and was released as a terrible buggy mess. I don't know if it ever got fixed up, but it's probably best if you avoid it for now.

This whole Gothic promotion is due to the Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition that just came out today, actually. Massive update to the game designed to un-break it.

Changelog: http://madvulture.de/G3AEE/Changelogs/Changelog_EN.txt

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
koshunter said:
I'd love an answer to this too. I've beat the game on 360 twice already but I might pick it up if the extra content is worth it.

I checked and it just looks like 4 extra challenge missions, I think one of them is the Scarecrown one-hit challenge that was for pre-orders. The DLC missions I was thinking of might have been PS3 exclusive or some shit, but they're not included with the GOTY edition as far as I see.

So it's not a whole lot extra, not enough to justify a double dip but it does look much better of PC.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That Gothic universe pack for $5.75 seems mighty appealing right now, tough i'm not entirely sold. I saw a gameplay video of Gothic 2 on youtube and the combat didn't seem too hot but some of the quests seemed pretty interesting and somewhat fucked up, to those that have played Gothic would you mind telling me in a few words what's the appeal?

Minsc

Gold Member
Gexecuter said:
That Gothic universe pack for $5.75 seems mighty appealing right now, tough i'm not entirely sold. I saw a gameplay video of Gothic 2 on youtube and the combat didn't seem too hot but some of the quests seemed pretty interesting and somewhat fucked up, to those that have played Gothic would you mind telling me in a few words what's the appeal?

Exploring the world is incredibly rewarding, and you quickly learn you need to value your life when exploring due to the no hand-holding difficulty, makes for some great tension. It's like Oblivion scaled back just enough so that everything feels like it has a purpose and there isn't 100 generic dungeons of the same thing you just did.

When I played Gothic 1 for the first time a few years back, it really drew me in to the world it creates despite its looks, I'd say even more than Risen is now, but there may be some rose-tinted haze through the crystal ball.

That changelog for Forsaken Gods EE is pretty sweet sounding, wonder if it plays nice with the community patch? Probably need to just give it a few months.

G-Fex

So I hear the first Never Winter Nights game is better than the second...truth to that?

How about any of these Gothic games are they any good?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Minsc said:
That changelog for Forsaken Gods EE is pretty sweet sounding, wonder if it plays nice with the community patch? Probably need to just give it a few months.

The community patch was the starting point, afaik. JoWood hired people who were involved with the community patch to design this EE, and those folks are getting royalties on the sales.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I bought Crysis 2. The GAF hype got me, and I'm inevitably going to hate myself for buying it. I'm weak.

Why do I do this, when I have so many unplayed Steam games?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:
So I bought Crysis 2. The GAF hype got me, and I'm inevitably going to hate myself for buying it. I'm weak.

While I cancelled my preorder, buying it soon isn't out of the question if it is actually good, so be sure to post impressions in the Crysis 2 OT. I can't really put much stock in reviews or what the console-centric folks are saying when deciding whether I should buy it.

n0n44m

heh cancelled my Crysis 2 pre-order some time ago but now ordered it from some store because they had it for ~15 euro less ... guess I'll be trying out the "add non-Steam game to library" function ^^

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Spire said:
Which Gothic games are worth buying? Tell me GAF.

Gothic 1 and 2 are pretty old these days, and have a sort of archaic control scheme (no mouse-based camera control) but are very well-regarded by hardcore crpg fans. 2 is usually considered to be the best Gothic game.

Gothic 3 has a very ambitious game world, and had a lot of issues at release but the community patches have fixed a lot.

Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods (standalone expansion) wasn't done by Piranha Bytes (creators of Gothic 1, 2, 3, and Risen 1 and 2), and was completely unplayable at release but today JoWood released the Enhanced Edition that appears to fix a lot that was wrong with it, but it's still probably at best only for folks who played the previous Gothic titles and want more content, rather than being anything like the go-to Gothic title to get.

Gothic 4: Arcania is a consolized baby game also not done by Piranha Bytes.

Get the Gothic Universe pack for $5. Gothic 1, 2, and 3.

nexen

I'm really on the fence for the Gothic bundle.
I own retail copies all of them except 4, but these are the kind of games I'd like to have on Steam.
Is 4 at least good in an rpg-lite sort of way? The demo didn't turn me off, is it at least more of that? Or does it get much worse?

stuminus3

Spire said:
Which Gothic games are worth buying? Tell me GAF.
All of them are worth it IMO. Gothic 4 is not like the others (it's closer to something like, I dunno, maybe a low-budget version of Fable without the fart jokes) but it's not completely terrible. If you buy the super-cheap pack and don't like it, you're only out a couple of bucks.

Quick EDIT: oh, I didn't see the Universe bundle on there. Yeah, get that one. That's the "essential" Gothic.

nexen said:
Is 4 at least good in an rpg-lite sort of way? The demo didn't turn me off, is it at least more of that? Or does it get much worse?
It's much, much better than the demo. But yeah, what Evilore said.

Weenerz

Banned
n0n44m said:
heh cancelled my Crysis 2 pre-order some time ago but now ordered it from some store because they had it for ~15 euro less ... guess I'll be trying out the "add non-Steam game to library" function ^^

It just adds a shortcut to your library, same thing as adding a shortcut to your desktop.

bigace33

Yes! So glad I waited for Batman to go on sale again on steam. I need to beat it again before October and the release of Batman AC. Steam user 4 life.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
Exploring the world is incredibly rewarding, and you quickly learn you need to value your life when exploring due to the no hand-holding difficulty, makes for some great tension. It's like Oblivion scaled back just enough so that everything feels like it has a purpose and there isn't 100 generic dungeons of the same thing you just did.

When I played Gothic 1 for the first time a few years back, it really drew me in to the world it creates despite its looks, I'd say even more than Risen is now, but there may be some rose-tinted haze through the crystal ball.

Thanks for the impressions Minsc! That does sound pretty good, i can live with no hand-holding so that's cool too plus i like exporing. Gonna think it over a bit more tough.

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:
The community patch was the starting point, afaik. JoWood hired people who were involved with the community patch to design this EE, and those folks are getting royalties on the sales.

That's pretty awesome, nice to see they're getting a little compensation for their troubles / good work. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Joe Molotov

Gothic 4 is a bad game, but it's still kinda fun. Not really "open world" though, it's actually very linear. You pretty much go in a straight line from beginning to end, and although you can return to previous locations, there's never a need to unless you want to collect all the jiggys, which I wouldn't recommend.

Sanjay

EviLore said:
Gothic 3 has a very ambitious game world, and had a lot of issues at release but the community patches have fixed a lot.

I loved Risen and Gothic 1 & 2 come off archaic like you said, so really I'm only on the fence with Gothic 3. Does it hold up well if it came out today? That's what I'm doubting and feel like to just pass on it.

EviLore said:
Gothic 1 and 2 are pretty old these days, and have a sort of archaic control scheme (no mouse-based camera control) but are very well-regarded by hardcore crpg fans. 2 is usually considered to be the best Gothic game.

Get the Gothic Universe pack for $5. Gothic 1, 2, and 3.

Part 2 has mouse control, you just have to enable it. You can also play with the standard WSAD style as well.

Edit: It's implemented pretty shitty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom